Riding on Kootenay Time.....epic riding in Rossland and Nelson!!- Mtbr.com
    Just roll it......

Good job! Riding on Kootenay Time.....epic riding in Rossland and Nelson!!

So, my better half and I decided to head to the Nelson and Rossland area for a quick trip with the doggies. We’ve done lots of riding in Whistler, the Shore and the Okanagen over the years, but we’ve never ventured as far east as the Kootenays. From Bellingham, it took us about 7.5 hours drivetime to Rossland through southern BC.

Day 1: After crashing at Christina Lake, we got up early and ventured into Rossland for breakfast and then swung into Revolution Cycles and BS’d with Rory for a bit, we purchased a map and he got us sorted for a good xc loop for the day.

We headed up to the parking lot for Monte Christo Mt. next to town and climbed up the road for a short bit. Then, jumped into Techno grind which was a quick undulating trail with some nice rock on it and a great warm up. From there, we headed up to Full Monte which was a total hoot and had some fun stuff to play around on. The routing on this trail was superb with a ton of rock slabs to roll down. I really liked this trail.

Then on to Coffee Run which was a fun, flowy rip through the forest with one killer rock spine option on a left option and then climbed up Milky Way which was a mellow and climbable grade over near the mining school. From there, we traversed the Kootenay Columbia trail back over and climbed up Back of KC to the top of Kootenay Columbia Mt. and CBX took a trail directly back to the car and I climbed back around the other end of Techno Grind and then up to Snake. I couldn’t find the start of Snake….so I just hike-a-biked a bit and stumbled across it as it was thundering overhead. After a quick rip down Snake which had a bunch of fun rocky chunder and rollers, we headed off to camp for the day at the Lions Campground which is just south of town as it started to p!ss outside – which it did for several hours. We drank beer with our camping neighbors (Nathan and Alyssa) who were from AK and planning to hit 7 Summits the next day.

Some shots of Full Monte and Milky Way:

CBX on Full Monte:

Just built up a new rig before we left town. Baker approves!

Day 2: We met up with an old friend, Dawgprimo. We rode/camped with Kevin a couple summers ago in Merritt and he was in New Denver riding with Telebiker all week, so he swung down to ride with us for a day before heading back to the Lower mainland (that’s Vancouver for non BC folks). With two cars, we opted to do some FR shuttles and dropped his car down in Paterson near the US border. From there, we drove just south of town and parked at the bottom of Malde Creek Road. We climbed up to the entrance to Whiskey and had a super fun time down that hitting the rock slabs and dorking around on a couple of skinnies and drops. Whiskey’s got lots of chunk and quick up and overs that could be pinch flat alley if you run your tires too low. Towards the bottom it goes through a clearcut and has a few skinnies and drops (nothing major). Dawgprimo’s still rocking it on his classic RFX (’00) and riding as well as ever…..for a big fella, that guy can also climb like a mofo!

CBX on Whiskey:

Dawgprimo on a drop near the end of Whiskey:

CBX on the same drop:

At the bottom, we loaded up the car and drove back up just past Whiskey and parked. From there, we started in towards Flume trail, but went left down Whoopity Doo which drops west off the ridge of Tamarack Mt. and you end up just north of the border. Whoopity Doo has a bunch of alternative lines/options and some bigger stuff to hit. Most of those sections have special names (see photo below)! Dawgprimo and CBX indulged me while I sessioned an 8 pack of gaps on one section. It took me a few attempts as I was overshooting trannies on every jump. Those definitely don’t require that much speed and brake checking is in order on about ½ of them. We had a great ride down Whoopity Doo, but about 2/3 of the way down, Dawgprimo bailed after landing a nice ladder drop, but then taking the berm after a bit wide……resulting in his right ankle the size of a softball. He took it easy the rest of the way and was still patient with me stopping to session a few other moves along the way.

A couple of pics:

Section on Whoopity Doo. An offering to the trail gods, perhaps??

Video screen grab of CBX:

Day 3: Kevin took off for home and CBX and I headed up to Nelson to meet up with GMX who was visiting his family for the weekend. Nelson was the reason for the trip out to the Kootenays in the first place. As a lover of tech trails and someone who likes to dig, I had been pining to head out there for several years to ride some of Mark Holt’s creations. Mark is a co-owner of The Sacred Ride bike shop in Nelson and a prolific builder by anyone’s standards. A few of his creations are The Vein, Plascenta Descenta, Slabalanche, Paper Bag, etc…..these trail =names have been ringing in my ears for 4 or 5 years. We swung into the shop and BS’d with Leeroy and Mark rolled in and I introduced myself. Mark’s a super laid back guy and those guys gave us lots of beta on the trails. We opted to head to Mt. Station because of its proximity and not needing to shuttle.

Mountain Station has some new roads cut in it for logging which disrupt a couple of the trails and most of the lower trails were flagged off, but they are, in fact, re-opened according to the Sacred Ride guys.

We did a nice climb up Shasta. Shasta (the dog) agrees that it’s a nice way up.

We continued up to Lower Spacejunk and dropped in. I love these types of trails. Steep, natural terrain with lots of off-camber roots. Then, we did a super quick climb back up to Fat Chance which had some fun intermediate sized ladders and drops. Then, on to Five Knuckle Huckle which had a few goodies on it.

CBX on Five Knuckle Huckle:

Gord (GMX) on the same drop:

After that, we skipped Legalize It because we thought it was shut down (the tape and signs were still up, but I was salivating over the ladder work down the first part!!), so we went over and checked out a little connector trail to Reservoir. It had a little ladder to ladder gap to a nice big wooden berm. The only hitch was it was missing a rung right in the middle of the turn. Well, after digging around a bit, we found a suitable scrap of board and we pulled some nails out of discarded pieces and we patched it together. It was funny because Gord, who doesn’t know me from Adam, didn’t even give it a second though and was helping me find nails and get it back together. I gave it a go a couple of times and it was fun. CBX got a shot or two, but not sure if they turned out.

From there, we hit Reservoir Trail to Smiling Buddha to ASG (Atomic Speed Goad) both of which were really fun rips with some mid-sized drops to spice it up. We had talked about climbing up to hit The Vein on this day, but Gord had ridden it the day before with his brother and we were saving our legs for the next days adventure in Rossland. Not a huge day of riding, but we were stoked to at least check out a small bit of Nelson. Next time to the Kootenays, I’m going straight to Nelson and plan to hit the everything on Giveout, Svoboda and the North Shore. It was awesome to hook up with GMX for a rip around the area since he knew it pretty darn well.

Many thanks to the Sacred Ride guys (Mark and Leeroy) for taking their time to give us the full rundown on the classics and the new stuff up on Giveout like Powerslave and Skiers Right. We both wish we had got more time riding in Nelson and hit some of the "must do's", but that's how it goes on roadtrips sometimes.

Next summer, Nelson will be mine!!!

Day 4: 7 Summits trail
    We met up with GMX, his brother and friends at Clancy’s in Rossland on Sunday morning. We got the shuttle logistics figured out and headed up to Nancy Greene Trailhead north of town. For those not in the know, 7 summits is a 22 mile point to point singletrack ride that goes a long a ridgeline west of Rossland and ends just north of the US border. It’s received a fair bit of accolades in the past few years and for good reason. This trail is phocking phenomenal!!. Due to lack of doggie day care options in Rossland (limited hours and not open on Sundays), we brought the pooches along with extra food/water for them, so both our packs were completely loaded down.

From the north point on the highway, the first big climb starts and goes up singletrack the entire way (ok, maybe a few hundred yards on road) up 2000 feet. This was a pretty unrelenting climb, but the routing and grade were super. The work from Kootenay Trail Society is top notch.

From that first climb, this is the view.

After a bit of traversing, there’s a fun descent. CBX is in there somewhere.

Stoked!

The doggies:

With mom in tow….

More singletrack goodness.

More stokeage.

A quick grunt up Longsquaw in Red Mt. ski area.

Top of Record Ridge. 6700 feet.

Along Record Ridge:

IMBA epic doggies? I’d say so…..

……but this is what happened when we were building our campfire. They put themselves to bed…..something Shasta NEVER does.

Overall, this ride took us about 6.5 hours. That was with CBX going a bit slow on the climbs, lots of stops for picture taking and food/view breaks and going slow for the doggies on the last decent into Dewdney Trail (I got the go-ahead to rip it while she stayed back and went slow for them). Interestingly, we let the faster guys go ahead of us and they didn’t finish much quicker due to several flat tires. This trail is rugged and there are spots where you carry a TON of speed and then, all of a sudden, you’re in a nasty rock garden and pinch flats are a reality. I was on tubeless tires and CBX had her Advantage’s pumped up more than usual, so we didn’t have a flat, but the other dudes had 4 or 5.

Many thanks to Rory at Revolution Cycles for taking time to help us out. Those guys have shop rides (with shuttles for cheap) most evenings and I had planned to join one or two, but the weather and timing didn’t work out for me. Also, the Kootenay Trail Society really deserves massive kudos. Not only do they have a fantastic trail network with good variety, but everything is super well maintained and nothing is dumbed down.

Other important info.

Nelson Cycling Club
    Kootenay Columbia Trail Society
    Rossland Trail Map (mostly current)
    7 Summits info.
    The Sacred Ride
    Revolution Cycles

It was awesome to ride with Dawgprimo again and to hook up with GMX. Knock on wood, but we've been damn lucky with hooking up with fellow mtbr's over the years and GMX was a super cool guy (ooh, and also a sandbagger!) to ride with.....

The Kootenays totally rocked.....can't wait to get back there.

Cheers,
    EB

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    nice work and nice shots
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    great pics and ride report, EBX (I'm green with envy)

Thanks

Jul 2008
    What year is that Slayer SXC? That looks like a sweet ride.

FM
    mtbr member
    Nice man, looks like great riding.

I for one, would like to see a Barney vs. CBX throw-down!

El Malo
    I had hoped you could join me on a Khyber or RDS ride one of the days at the Bike Park but now I clearly see it was a good call to road trip out to the interior, eh.

Thx for the report, dude... I'll be stoked to hit the Koot's with you next time !
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sweet dude! Nice trip, great pics

@adelorenzo
    Awesome! Seven summits is high on my list of must-do.

Faster the Better!
    Apr 2005
    Between you and Armando the STOKE after reading your guys ride reports is Amazing!!!

Thanks!!

FLoyd

gmoney was gmoneybike
    Solid adventuring Brown! Give my love to Courtney.

Peace
    Were looking at balz

Glad to Be Alive
    man eric....you go every where....very nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

beer thief
    Awesome TR, ebx. Times like this I wish the east coast wasn't so far away from BC.

I also own a Weekender. Couldn't have a much better rig for road tripping.

Just roll it......
    Thanks dudes.....it was a fun trip. 7 Summits is really a must do. CBX got a bunch of good shots, but in her typical fashion hasn't got any of them online yet. I'll add some of those when she throws them up.

Lee, thanks for the beta on things out there. Mucho appreciated.

FM, the Barney vs. CBX throwdown would be epic.... I can imagine it being like our HIghline/Gran Mal shootout! That was some MBA quality stuff....

mountainbiker2911 - That is a 2007 sxc 90 with a dhx air and '09 36 TALAS on it. My wife has ridden it for a bit over a year and really loves it. My bike was tore apart last week and I took the Slayer out for a full ride (I had only ridden it for short stretches previously) on my current xc trails and it was a really great bike. Super plush, pedaled well and handled great. I was super impressed as I didn't skip anything I'd normally hit and it rode really nice.

Radair - The weekender is great. Totally perfect for hauling bikes, dogs and camping. Ours is in desperate need of a cleaning though!

Armando - your whistler weekend looked great. It was time to branch further east this time though.

Dawgprimo took this shot of a hip on whoopity doo and posted it on the Western Canada forum. Thanks DP.....proof that I ride my bike as well!

~~~~~~~~
    good stuff, thanks!

mtbr member
    Looks like a terrific trip EB. I must get to BC. Is the 7 Summits ride a 6-7"inch burly 38-40lb rig ride or more of a 5-6 inch 30-32lb rig ride? Just curious how the new D-T would handle it. The other rides definitely look like D-T territory.

Thanks for the report.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The first bit of Seven Summits is a lot of up and down and climbing. A 4 - 5"bike is good for that. But the last bit is balls to the walls downhill. That's where a bigger bike with big tires would be nice. But I rode it with a 5 bike and it was very nice.

But if you're going to ride nelson then bring the D-T and use it for everything

spooge is gone!
    Cool pix, thanks for sharing
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    The first bit of Seven Summits is a lot of up and down and climbing. A 4 - 5"bike is good for that. But the last bit is balls to the walls downhill. That's where a bigger bike with big tires would be nice. But I rode it with a 5 bike and it was very nice.

But if you're going to ride nelson then bring the D-T and use it for everything
    KRob, I agree with what Lee said. Our crew all had 4-6" travel bikes. (DB Mission, Slayer, Coiler, Slayer SS, Trance X, etc.). While the first part with the big climb is more work on the bigger bike, having chunkier tires and some travel is a good idea because it's a rugged trail and there are lots of spots where they come in handy. I was popping off all kinds of things and landed in the middle of some nasty things a few times.

If you're going to Rossland, you may as well go to Nelson (encouraged, in fact) and if you're gonna go to Nelson, you should bring the Delerium T!

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Pics are up!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnash/s...7607698526946/

I must admit, I wasn't really used to the new wide-angle lens, and lots of my shots suffered on the crispness front. I'd hoped to get more on 7 summits, but there was soooo much riding (and I was soooo slow climbing) that I didn't want to take much time to set up lots of shots. EB did much better with the point and shoot. Guess we'll just have to go back and do it again!

Justin Vander Pol
    Good stuff, eb & C! It's on my must-do list - hopefully for next year.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow! You guys took some awesome pictures. Agreed: you'll have to go back and do it again.

Paper Street
    Leeroy is the sh*T!! What t-shirt was he wearing? "The man, the legend"?

NEXT SUMMER you gotta hit NEWTSACK & Shataqua...

The Dewdney is a riot isn't it? What an awesome way to end an amazing trail.

mtbr member
    Wow - wonderful post - thanks!

Next year I get to head out West, can't wait!!!!! only question, will it be RFX or Highline?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice trip!

Looks like you guys had a blast!

mtbr member
    Great pics and writeup!

Was a blast re-living 7-Summits from a different lens.

dft
    mtbr member
    good summary EB! BC sure has the goods.

NedwannaB

Heard about this trail

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    So, my better half and I decided to head to the Nelson and Rossland area for a quick trip with the doggies. We’ve done lots of riding in Whistler, the Shore and the Okanagen over the years, but we’ve never ventured as far east as the Kootenays. From Bellingham, it took us about 7.5 hours drivetime to Rossland through southern BC.

Day 4: 7 Summits trail
    We met up with GMX, his brother and friends at Clancy’s in Rossland on Sunday morning. We got the shuttle logistics figured out and headed up to Nancy Greene Trailhead north of town. For those not in the know, 7 summits is a 22 mile point to point singletrack ride that goes a long a ridgeline west of Rossland and ends just north of the US border. It’s received a fair bit of accolades in the past few years and for good reason. This trail is phocking phenomenal!!. Due to lack of doggie day care options in Rossland (limited hours and not open on Sundays), we brought the pooches along with extra food/water for them, so both our packs were completely loaded down.

From the north point on the highway, the first big climb starts and goes up singletrack the entire way (ok, maybe a few hundred yards on road) up 2000 feet. This was a pretty unrelenting climb, but the routing and grade were super. The work from Kootenay Trail Society is top notch.

From that first climb, this is the view.

After a bit of traversing, there’s a fun descent. CBX is in there somewhere.

Stoked!

The doggies:

With mom in tow….

More singletrack goodness.

More stokeage.

A quick grunt up Longsquaw in Red Mt. ski area.

Top of Record Ridge. 6700 feet.

Along Record Ridge:

IMBA epic doggies? I’d say so…..

……but this is what happened when we were building our campfire. They put themselves to bed…..something Shasta NEVER does.

Overall, this ride took us about 6.5 hours. That was with CBX going a bit slow on the climbs, lots of stops for picture taking and food/view breaks and going slow for the doggies on the last decent into Dewdney Trail (I got the go-ahead to rip it while she stayed back and went slow for them). Interestingly, we let the faster guys go ahead of us and they didn’t finish much quicker due to several flat tires. This trail is rugged and there are spots where you carry a TON of speed and then, all of a sudden, you’re in a nasty rock garden and pinch flats are a reality. I was on tubeless tires and CBX had her Advantage’s pumped up more than usual, so we didn’t have a flat, but the other dudes had 4 or 5.

Many thanks to Rory at Revolution Cycles for taking time to help us out. Those guys have shop rides (with shuttles for cheap) most evenings and I had planned to join one or two, but the weather and timing didn’t work out for me. Also, the Kootenay Trail Society really deserves massive kudos. Not only do they have a fantastic trail network with good variety, but everything is super well maintained and nothing is dumbed down.

Other important info.

Nelson Cycling Club
    Kootenay Columbia Trail Society
    Rossland Trail Map (mostly current)
    7 Summits info.
    The Sacred Ride
    Revolution Cycles

It was awesome to ride with Dawgprimo again and to hook up with GMX. Knock on wood, but we've been damn lucky with hooking up with fellow mtbr's over the years and GMX was a super cool guy (ooh, and also a sandbagger!) to ride with.....

The Kootenays totally rocked.....can't wait to get back there.

Cheers,
    EB
    What's a good time of year for riding if you're coming from way out of town??
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics and writeup.

Shasta is a spitting image of my Molly, who sadly is no longer with use. Molly loved the trail in my hiking days (pre-MTB). She would get to a trail intersection and wait for me (always had to be in front). Then she would guess which way I wanted to go. If she was right I said "good girl", if she was wrong I said "other way" and she would switch trails and take off. I miss her. Thanks for the doggie flashback.

Looks like some great riding out there.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Thanks DP.....proof that I ride my bike as well!

Correction: proof that you *fly* your bike!

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ahhh Pics of Home...

Grew up on Red, Worst thing my parent ever did was getting that locker on hill! Much easier to skip school when the boards are already at the hill!

It can get pretty hot there in August and since its a ridge traverse there isn't much of water. The only place I've seen any is as you come into Long Squaw. So I've also ran into snow in July, but it was just short patches. I love the trail network out of Monti Cristo, just good fun.

Have you checked out Idaho peak up by New Denver?

Don't worry, be happy!
    That jump has been torn down on Whiskey. I was just up there last weekend.

There's no app for this.

I've decided to

become an American, Eric. all you do is cross borders and ride lots. )

Nice shots, hoping to do Chilcotin in 3 weeks, but it's on fire right now.
    Jim

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    AWESOME
    gotta go gotta go gotta goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
    Thanks!

Pretty in Pink
    Wow awesome passion hit. Looks like the whole crew had a hell of a time. Thats what I like to see.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    check revolution's site for info on snow levels.

Good luck with the tyax trip jim. Fire didn't touch the trails fwiw

Members who have read this thread: 0