Reliving a Few Moments from Sunday Afternoon- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

Reliving a Few Moments from Sunday Afternoon

Me, ready to go (cropped from a static shot - no one EVER gets an action shot!)
    Name:  FB_IMG_1527036806141-1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  77.6 KB

It was a local club's "1st Ride of the Season"
    MANY riders show up for this event - often 60-100, with various groups matching up by ability/pace and distance.

I headed for the start with low expectations of my early-season fitness. I've been riding the fatty all Winter, but my longest ride was only ~2 hrs. and I knew I couldn't maintain any sort of "pace" for more than ~75 minutes. The trail is 24 mi. with ~3000+ ft., so I was going to take it easy.

Yeah, right up until they said "go".

I fell in behind a faster buddy, who is a former MXer, and figured I'd follow 'til I could decide if I was going to hang or fold (he might take it easy...), or 'til the other faster guys gobbled us both up. It is really fun to follow him and watch him ride.
    It was at that moment that he decided he wanted to go first.
    I immediately saw his logic, though: clear the first climb at a "warm-up" pace, clear the following descent with nobody in front of us, then sort it all out.

It worked out perfectly as he maintained just a nice climbing pace and led us all into the first fast section with maybe 10-12 other riders trailing (and ~50 more somewhere behind them). What I lacked in power, I seemed to make up in downhill efficiency. I was hitting it pretty hard, carving pretty well, and nobody was pushing me. ...'til we started climbing.

At that point I let them go by as I knew I had already burned several of the few matches I held. As faster riders periodically came through, I got to ride with more people than usual - and I was still slaying the fast sections despite some unexpected erosion and some slick roots that I didn't quite remember . Not one person breathed on my neck all day. I even *caught a very fast woman who passed us during snack time. She had fun being chased and I had fun chasing through the section where our paths crossed, but, like everyone else, rode away from me as soon as we started going up.

By then, I was spent. ...arms were getting noodly, and I knew there was a pile of food and beer waiting for us back at the start. Another buddy caught up and we opted for the bailout trail to get started on beer and snacks before the full course riders returned. ~17mi ST/3mi bailout. Not terrible.

In a way, I was cautious in not riding too far into the fatigue zone, but I had hung it out pretty far getting there - so I was happy to go fast and not hurt myself.

-F

*as in, she was aware of my presence, but there was no way I was passing her.
    Last edited by Fleas; 05-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you had a great ride! Thanks for sharing
    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL