question from an old rider, new forum user- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

question from an old rider, new forum user

Hi Listmates, don't know if I'm posting in the right place, but any help would be appreciated. I started riding my Trek 8000 Aluminum in 1993 when I purchased it and it has since been ridden in Moab, Utah, Alaska, the Pacific Northwest and the Northeast. Tried to sell it a few years back so I could get a new bike to ride with my daughters but was unable to part with it because I realized it had too many memories. Now I'm looking to just replace the shox which are shot. Is it possible to just replace the rock shox (not with identical shox, any new/used shox would be fine)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

slow
    Your headset is likely 1 1/8" so you should be able to find something that would work. If your current headset is threaded, you may need another headset and a different stem. Also, pay attention to the travel of the fork. Yours is probably 80mm or 100mm. Most of today's forks have more than that. Try to get a fork with a similar amount of travel so that you do not drastically affect the geometry and handing lof your bike. I have a bike that was built for an 80mm fork and I went up to a 100mm fork, but I don't think I'd go more travel than that. Now that tapered headset are the most common, a straight 1 1/8" fork may be more difficult to find but they are out there. A lightly used fork may be an option, too.
    Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Also be aware that modern forks don't have brake bosses on them (for rim brakes). Unless you're planning on switching to discs, you're more than likely going to have better luck with ebay.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD View Post
    Also be aware that modern forks don't have brake bosses on them (for rim brakes). Unless you're planning on switching to discs, you're more than likely going to have better luck with ebay.
    This is also a valid concern. One solution is to get a fork that will accept disc brakes and install an Avid mechanical disc on the front and Avid v-brakes on the rear. You can use the same brake levers for both. I did this on a couple of older bikes and it works fine. There may be other manufacturers' equipment that will also work for this, but I know my Avid setups worked well.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    This is also a valid concern. One solution is to get a fork that will accept disc brakes and install an Avid mechanical disc on the front and Avid v-brakes on the rear. You can use the same brake levers for both. I did this on a couple of older bikes and it works fine. There may be other manufacturers' equipment that will also work for this, but I know my Avid setups worked well.
    And he has to change his front wheel - or at very least, hub and spokes.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    And he has to change his front wheel - or at very least, hub and spokes.
    Yep. Forgot about that. Never ending spiral...

Barely in control
    From Bike24.com, you can get an RST Gila, First Platinum, or Manitou R7.