Pretty damn upset.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    30

    Pretty damn upset.

    So after browsing these forums for some time and realizing how awesome of a sport this is I took a bit of time to save some money and purchased a Giant Reign 2. I really didn't have much biking experience before. I did have a Kona that I used 5 times in the past 10 years but again rarely used it.

    I was biking a ton and fell in absolute love with mountain biking. Fast forward 2 months later which was 2 weeks ago and someone broke into my garage and stole my bike ending any biking I will be doing for quite some time as there is no way I will have an extra 2000 to buy a bike in the near future.

    The thing that bothers me is I am a police officer in the town where I live and being a victim to these people who I help every shift I put on my uniform and protect these people day in and day out.

    I do realize bikes are stolen every day but it seems it ended a new passion that I had. For those of you wondering about insurance they are only offering me 300 dollars after a 1000 deductible.
    Thanks for listening guys and gals. Have fun riding and lock up your bikes.
    Ryan

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fell_brook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    203
    I'd keep haggling your insurance rep. That's BS.

  3. #3
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    580
    What insurance do you have? Want to make sure I avoid that company.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHIEF500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    792
    That's damn shame. Was the garage locked? People suck. I'm sure you'll keep an extra eye out whiles on partol. I hope you find it when you least expect it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    30
    Thanks I am praying I find it.

  6. #6
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,910
    sketchy insurance company is sketchy.

    that really sucks, OP. I hope you can find a way to handle this situation.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    393
    That sucks! I can't stand thieves. A fellow worker had his giant reign 2 stolen a few weeks ago. He is in the same boat. I hope it works out for you.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 13MWZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    54
    As a LEO myself, I feel your pain. I had my truck broken into a few months back. It puts things into a new perspective for me. I no longer show up to a similar call with an attitude that I'm waisting my time. I can now see how those folks are feeling and how demoralizing it is and how helpless and vicimized a person feels.

    My x wife would laugh at me for locking the truck when I parked in the garage, but it's reasons like this that I did it and wouldnt store anything valuable in there. Garage doors are pretty easy to break into.

    When you are able to get another ride, you might consider andchoring an eye bolt or something into the floor to run a cable lock through......or locking it up to something else not easily movable.

    That's a pretty sorry thing for somebody to do, sucks your inssurance isnt doing anything worth while. Hope you can grab some OT or something and beable to get back into the sport soon.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    176
    I think insurance company executives are the lowest of low. We pay them billions but they welch on you the minute you need a hand.

  10. #10
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,211
    Sorry about your situation . . . it blows. Now might be a good time to revise your insurance policy. I've been the victim of bike theft as well and while it worked out well for me in the end, it still sucked. Nobody says you have to ride a $2K bike though. If insurance is offering you $300, take it and hit your LBS. Tell them what happened and see what they can work out. You obviously won't get a replacement for $300, but my first MTB was a discounted Gary Fisher that I rode the crap out of.

    Or better yet, take the 3 hundo, dust of the kona, give it some love/updates and ride the **** outta it until you get the scratch together for another bomber.

    Note to all those reading: This is why you get a "replacement cost" policy and not a "depreciated value" policy. Yes the ARC policies are more expensive, but when faced with something like this, you'll be glad you have it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  11. #11
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,211
    Quote Originally Posted by MC SlingBlade View Post
    This is how those nasty insurance company executives welched on me when I needed a hand:
    Nice . . . way to rub it in for the OP. I'm sure he feels better now knowing that you got a multi-thousand dollar bike out of your insurance company.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  12. #12
    Andrew
    Reputation: drizzoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    197
    OP, sucks about the bike loss. I've had bikes stolen before, it blows.

    I do have to agree with MC here though, it's all about understanding your insurance and deductibles. You chose that coverage, so don't go blaming the insurance company for only giving you 30% of the bikes value.
    Andrew || Trek Superfly 100 Carbon || Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C

  13. #13
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104
    Sorry to hear that bro... I had my car broken into and some dear stuff stolen. More than the actual value of the stolen stuff, the worst issue was feeling so violated, knowing that the thief was going through my stuff and my car, for hours (overnight). What a low, low way to make some money off of other peoples hard earned possessions... Good luck and hopefully you find a way to get another bike. Not riding sucks even more...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kona_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    331
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. My gf had her bike stolen the night after I finished tuning it up - new pedals, grips, saddle, adjusted the shift, brakes... everything.

    As far as insurance goes, as an insurance agent, this is a great example of why you want to schedule items like that an expensive bicycle. You could have paid $0 deductible and received $2k for the bike. Even if your policy had replacement cost instead of actual cash value you'd still be getting only $1k for the bike. Just an FYI.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

  15. #15
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,211
    Quote Originally Posted by MC SlingBlade View Post
    Not rubbing anything in, just giving an example that refutes blueliner's simplistic "insurance companies screw everyone" pap.

    EDIT: and for the hilarious neg repper who thinks that I must have "sucked my agents[sic] dick" please keep your fantasies to yourself. BTW, I don't have an insurance agent.

    Understanding your coverage and being able to document your ownership is key to any successful claim. Insurance policies are merely contracts after all. If you think that an insurance company is welching on their obligations, there are many resources (state regulators, non-profits, etc.) that can assist you.
    For the record, that was not me.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  16. #16
    Rides with Scissors
    Reputation: deanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Note to all those reading: This is why you get a "replacement cost" policy and not a "depreciated value" policy. Yes the ARC policies are more expensive, but when faced with something like this, you'll be glad you have it.
    You should add that when you have "replacement cost" insurance, the agents strongly suggest that you give them an itemized list as proof of what you had... Also helps if someone finds stolen items and you can prove it was yours because both you and your agent have things like model/serial numbers.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    742
    bummer your bike was taken,
    best of luck
    maybe you still have the kona to ride
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

  18. #18
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by MC SlingBlade View Post
    Thieves suck. Losing a bike sucks. Not being able to ride sucks.

    I can't see this as a 100% "sketchy insurance" company though. If the OP had a policy for depreciated value rather than replacement cost (and $1k deductible), I can see why he is only entitled to $300.

    Still a sh|tty situation but there's no sense in blaming the insurance company.
    +1

    Sucks the bike was stolen dude.
    Hope you catch the f*cker who stole it.

  19. #19
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Sucks about the theft, make sure you query you're scrote bag agent about why he did not line you out on the nuances of your coverage. That is his job, however most agents act like they are doing you a favor by talking to you, and they wonder why ins. agents are held in such esteem. That or hold a blow torch to his testicles for grins.

  20. #20
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,305
    Sorry to hear about your loss.I hope losing one bike wont end your passion,maybe just postpone it a little.

    Perhaps you could post a BOLO (be on the lookout) thread in your regional forum.I think most of us here look at just about every bike we come across when were out n about.We have lots of eyes.

  21. #21
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,211
    Quote Originally Posted by deanna View Post
    You should add that when you have "replacement cost" insurance, the agents strongly suggest that you give them an itemized list as proof of what you had... Also helps if someone finds stolen items and you can prove it was yours because both you and your agent have things like model/serial numbers.
    Yup. I learned the hard way and now I keep receipts for everything including upgrades. I also take pics of EVERYTHING to include with the scanned receipts. OCD? Perhaps, but if something ever happens (knock-wood), there will be zero question about coverage.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigKahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    As a LEO myself, I feel your pain. I had my truck broken into a few months back. It puts things into a new perspective for me. I no longer show up to a similar call with an attitude that I'm waisting my time. I can now see how those folks are feeling and how demoralizing it is and how helpless and vicimized a person feels..
    At least one of you gets it. Most cops I know, and plenty I don't....act like they hate to even be bothered with property crimes. I've heard things like "do you REALLY need me to write a report, because it's gone and there's nothing we can do about it?". Sometimes they refuse to even show up to the call for hours and hours. I've had friends who've had property stolen and ended up madder at the cops who couldn't care less, than at the thieves themselves. And while I don't think most people really expect the cops ot drive around for weeks looking for a bike, maybe more of them should at least pretend to act like they care. Apparently they care when it's their stuff that gets stolen.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 13MWZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    54
    It's not so much that we (they) dont care, you have to understand that with our profession you tend to become numb to a lot of things. In my case, it took having a crime commited against me to "wake" me up and remember what it's like to be a victim. I dont let myself forget that feeling so I can be more attentive to my 'customers'. Even though there typicaly is practicaly nothing we can do unless we get lucky, being compasionate and taking a full report will usualy wont make things better, but it wont make the victim's day any worse either.

    OP, if you have any documentation on your bike, keep an eye at the local pawn shops and bike shops to see if it turn up.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    465
    Put that son of a gun on NCIC as stolen bro. Every bike I come across I run for stolen, just got in to a habit. That feeling that you've been violated sucks, and will stick with you for a while. My wife makes fun of me for some of the things I do, locking the truck doors in the garage, chaining my bike to a pole that was cemented in the garage from previous owner, and double locking the back door from the garage to the house. But after some of the calls we go on, hooks are always coming up with new ways to play the game.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GiantMountainTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Sorry about your bike man. An eye for and eye so go steal someone elses ride...jk.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

    Giant Faith

  26. #26
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    being compasionate and taking a full report will usualy wont make things better, but it wont make the victim's day any worse either.
    Actually it does make things better.
    It may not get the items back that are lost but when people know that somebody cares enough, it renews their hope a little in society.
    By showing compassion and writing that report, you help the victims healing process.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Actually it does make things better.
    It may not get the items back that are lost but when people know that somebody cares enough, it renews their hope a little in society.
    By showing compassion and writing that report, you help the victims healing process.
    I agree that it does make things better instead of going out...what was taken...uh huh...ok...have a nice night.

    Been to many calls where interacting with the folks there feel much better when you spend more time talking it through with them, offering to take prints (even though it rarely leads to much here) and looking over damages etc to the property and letting them know we'll be making periodic checks in the area (and actually doing it), definitely makes them feel better about the crazy event they've just gone through. However, there are folks who just want the report, and GTFO. Just kind of gotta pick up on what they want.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    At least one of you gets it. Most cops I know, and plenty I don't....
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    It's not so much that we (they) dont care, you have to understand that with our profession you tend to become numb to a lot of things.
    Yep. These people see the lowest of the low on a daily basis. After they finish cleaning up the mess where someone beat their kid/wife almost to death, a bike theft doesn't really register. Same for ER docs. Something that seems pretty traumatic to you is usually just a scratch to them. That doesn't make you feel any better as the victim, but the reason isn't because they're bad people.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHIEF500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    792
    This thread has taken an interesting turn to the way PD deal with people reporting losses and it seems with some other officers chimming in.
    While I'm no fan of my local PDcI give others I don't know an fair start. My local guys are the "you don't do this **** in my town" kinda cops that don't live here and deal with the aholes doing the normal everyday crime. I've have firsthand experience on stolen property reports where the reporting officer asked my in-laws (both near 80) if they went and looked in the wooded area in the rear of their home for thier lawn furniture. Where the local druggies hang. I was there at the time and started laughing when the officer asked me what I was laughing at I had to respond " Isn't that what we called you and pay you to do? DO you really want me to do over there and find a group of druggies sitting on their lawn furniture and take any action. because I'll report it that way to your chief and the local paper. Jesus I was pissed and did report the officer to his boss through his chaon of command but nothing was done.
    I am interested on other reponses to this post.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,384
    After a bike theft here in CT the local MTBike community got together the parts for some loaner bikes(CT bike share on facebook). Anyone who's even a little bit plugged in can borrow a trail worthy bike to get them through. None of us can keep the wrong things from happening, all we can do is make sure we're doing the right things.
    Last edited by MOJO K; 09-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by mark! View Post
    Put that son of a gun on NCIC as stolen bro. Every bike I come across I run for stolen, just got in to a habit. That feeling that you've been violated sucks, and will stick with you for a while. My wife makes fun of me for some of the things I do, locking the truck doors in the garage, chaining my bike to a pole that was cemented in the garage from previous owner, and double locking the back door from the garage to the house. But after some of the calls we go on, hooks are always coming up with new ways to play the game.
    Yep! I've actually popped a few in Houston that way myself.

    I know I need to frequent and support my LBS but fact is I don't (items never in stock, higher prices, clueless employees ... Ok another story).

    On my latestest build I kept a file with all my Internet purchases for everything from grips to the hope wheel set. Then I photographed every component as well as the serial number of the frame. It's much harder for the insurance company to refute costs when you can substantiate them.

    I keep my bike stored with a ubolt cabled to a steel beam in my garage when I'm not on it. Never know when the kids or dogs will leave the door open. Photographed that too.

    It's not necessarily that the cops are lazy or uncaring but going from call to call there's not much time for an actual investigation. However, if you spoon feed them by providing all pertinent identification so that it can be entered into ncic at least you have a slim chance of recovery. The insurance companies will require a police report as well.

    Theft sucks. I've experienced it as a victim and the loss is more than just $$$.

    My wife thinks I'm OCD but.... I try my best to "harden the target" at home, my car or any other object or possession i have.

    An instuctor in a burglary class I took once said something that I'll never forget "anything man made can be man defeated".

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bridger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    245
    Cabral,

    I feel your pain as well. My $2,500 Niner was stolen from my locked garage last week too. I called the police, gave them a picture of it, serial # , etc. They said they would "keep an eye out for it". Basically, kiss it goodbye. So I made about 20 flyers with a picture of it and stapled them to telephone poles around town offering a reward if found.
    Two days later I get a call from someone that said his friend was showing him a new Niner that his " mother bought for him on e bay" and that it matched the description of the flyer he had seen posted and he gave me the address of his "friend'. I called the local police and they said they would check into it. The next day I called the police officer back to see what they found out. He said they are too busy & will try to go over to question the man after the next shift change.... by this point I'm really pissed off so I leave work and drive to the address the tipster gave me and start pounding on the door! A neighbor comes out & says "John " has been drinking a lot lately & usually sleeps until noon. I keep pounding on the front door & back door until finally a man in his early 40's comes out. I tell him I'm looking for a bike that was stolen two days ago from my residence & hand him one of my flyers. Surprisingly, he tells me that he bought a bike like the one pictured from "some guy down the street" & invites me in to see it.
    I walk in to the livingroom & there is my Niner! I call the police right there and tell them I located my bike, they send a car over, & the guy goes to jail until his hearing for possession of stolen property (I'm informed that they can't charge for burglary unless you see them do it.

    Turns out the guy has a long criminal record, but will probably be back home in about a week.
    I met the guy that gave me the tip & gave him a $100.00 reward.
    In this case, the police were absolutely USELESS. I'm sure I would have never got my bike back if I had not taken action myself. If I had beat the crap out of the guy that stole my bike I probably would have been charged with assault.
    Anyway, I'm happy to get my bike back and now I keep it in the spare bedroom instead of the garage.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

  33. #33
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    good for you bro...

    nice to hear stories like this...

    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Cabral,

    I feel your pain as well. My $2,500 Niner was stolen from my locked garage last week too. I called the police, gave them a picture of it, serial # , etc. They said they would "keep an eye out for it". Basically, kiss it goodbye. So I made about 20 flyers with a picture of it and stapled them to telephone poles around town offering a reward if found.
    Two days later I get a call from someone that said his friend was showing him a new Niner that his " mother bought for him on e bay" and that it matched the description of the flyer he had seen posted and he gave me the address of his "friend'. I called the local police and they said they would check into it. The next day I called the police officer back to see what they found out. He said they are too busy & will try to go over to question the man after the next shift change.... by this point I'm really pissed off so I leave work and drive to the address the tipster gave me and start pounding on the door! A neighbor comes out & says "John " has been drinking a lot lately & usually sleeps until noon. I keep pounding on the front door & back door until finally a man in his early 40's comes out. I tell him I'm looking for a bike that was stolen two days ago from my residence & hand him one of my flyers. Surprisingly, he tells me that he bought a bike like the one pictured from "some guy down the street" & invites me in to see it.
    I walk in to the livingroom & there is my Niner! I call the police right there and tell them I located my bike, they send a car over, & the guy goes to jail until his hearing for possession of stolen property (I'm informed that they can't charge for burglary unless you see them do it.

    Turns out the guy has a long criminal record, but will probably be back home in about a week.
    I met the guy that gave me the tip & gave him a $100.00 reward.
    In this case, the police were absolutely USELESS. I'm sure I would have never got my bike back if I had not taken action myself. If I had beat the crap out of the guy that stole my bike I probably would have been charged with assault.
    Anyway, I'm happy to get my bike back and now I keep it in the spare bedroom instead of the garage.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    I'm sorry to hear that man, I hope you save up for a new bike and keep [email protected]

  35. #35
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Cabral,

    I feel your pain as well. My $2,500 Niner was stolen from my locked garage last week too. I called the police, gave them a picture of it, serial # , etc. They said they would "keep an eye out for it". Basically, kiss it goodbye. So I made about 20 flyers with a picture of it and stapled them to telephone poles around town offering a reward if found.
    Two days later I get a call from someone that said his friend was showing him a new Niner that his " mother bought for him on e bay" and that it matched the description of the flyer he had seen posted and he gave me the address of his "friend'. I called the local police and they said they would check into it. The next day I called the police officer back to see what they found out. He said they are too busy & will try to go over to question the man after the next shift change.... by this point I'm really pissed off so I leave work and drive to the address the tipster gave me and start pounding on the door! A neighbor comes out & says "John " has been drinking a lot lately & usually sleeps until noon. I keep pounding on the front door & back door until finally a man in his early 40's comes out. I tell him I'm looking for a bike that was stolen two days ago from my residence & hand him one of my flyers. Surprisingly, he tells me that he bought a bike like the one pictured from "some guy down the street" & invites me in to see it.
    I walk in to the livingroom & there is my Niner! I call the police right there and tell them I located my bike, they send a car over, & the guy goes to jail until his hearing for possession of stolen property (I'm informed that they can't charge for burglary unless you see them do it.

    Turns out the guy has a long criminal record, but will probably be back home in about a week.
    I met the guy that gave me the tip & gave him a $100.00 reward.
    In this case, the police were absolutely USELESS. I'm sure I would have never got my bike back if I had not taken action myself. If I had beat the crap out of the guy that stole my bike I probably would have been charged with assault.
    Anyway, I'm happy to get my bike back and now I keep it in the spare bedroom instead of the garage.
    Yup, if you would have given him the ass kicking he deserved, you would have been charged with assault because you went to his house.

    That being said, great job on being proactive and not becoming a victim.
    Even better job on keeping your cool. I know the urge to kick his ass had to be strong.

    However, be glad the guy was most likely incoherent and didn't have a gun.
    This situation could have also gone in a different direction and a bike is not worth losing a life over.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    edited because i wasnt being nice. grow up me...
    Last edited by JointTech; 09-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.