Post-graduation/pre-job trip - advice?- Mtbr.com
    Wolf nipple chips

Post-graduation/pre-job trip - advice?

So I'm in my final semester of college right now. I feel the pressure to get a job as soon as i can, in order to become more self-sufficient and start to aquire some salary, wealth, and all that fun stuff. However, in a late night conversation with 3 of my roommates, i realized that now (post graduation) is the time to go riding as much as i can in as many places as financially possible before getting tied down to a job, or even a career. Every break from school, (winter and summer break) I attempt to plan out a bike trip out to Colorado or Utah or whatever. (i live in Missouri, btw.) But it rarely happens, and even when they have happened, it hasn't ever been more than a week. It's just enough to plant the bug which draws me to go riding out there, but not nearly enough time to allow me to ride a sufficient amount.

That being said, I want to spend enough time going around the Rockies hitting up sweet places to ride. How much time? However long it takes. i'm thinking at least two weeks. I definitely want to hit up places like Moab, fruita, Gooseberry Mesa (St. George?), maybe even Crested Butte, Sedona, and maybe Phoenix. Those are just some ideas for now. Any other places that should be on my "must ride" list?

An issue I have is whether or not it is a good idea to go alone, as i may not have either of my two riding buddies to go with for this one. Has anyone gone on an extended trip alone? what should i take into account to stay safe? what things can i expect when looking for people to ride with at local shops?

Also, how are some ways to cut down on some costs? Any other suggestions on how to do this effectively?

Single Speed Junkie

Congrats.

Glad to hear that you made through college. So do you have a job lined up? If so pick a start date and join the real world.

Now for the fun stuff.
    Moab is almost a required stop. Tahoe is worth looking into also, but do hit it after moab (wait a bit longer for the temps to warm up). Ride as much as possible on your trip then ride some more, you will be glad you did.

To keep cost down look into camping on BLM land, many times it is free. Backpacking showers a good way to keep you smelling normal and cash in you pocket. You can stay in a hostel while traveling, I recomend the Lazy Lizard in Moab.

I took a month long vacation to Moab after graduation and spent about $500 including gas, food, and lodging. Did a solo trip and rode with several different groups of people on several trails and did some climbing when was not on the bike.

Just search the web a bit and call local bike shops in the area to find out more info. possibly even other trails reserved for the locals.

Nat
    mtbr member

Sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    So I'm in my final semester of college right now. I feel the pressure to get a job as soon as i can, in order to become more self-sufficient and start to aquire some salary, wealth, and all that fun stuff. However, in a late night conversation with 3 of my roommates, i realized that now (post graduation) is the time to go riding as much as i can in as many places as financially possible before getting tied down to a job, or even a career. Every break from school, (winter and summer break) I attempt to plan out a bike trip out to Colorado or Utah or whatever. (i live in Missouri, btw.) But it rarely happens, and even when they have happened, it hasn't ever been more than a week. It's just enough to plant the bug which draws me to go riding out there, but not nearly enough time to allow me to ride a sufficient amount.

That being said, I want to spend enough time going around the Rockies hitting up sweet places to ride. How much time? However long it takes. i'm thinking at least two weeks. I definitely want to hit up places like Moab, fruita, Gooseberry Mesa (St. George?), maybe even Crested Butte, Sedona, and maybe Phoenix. Those are just some ideas for now. Any other places that should be on my "must ride" list?

An issue I have is whether or not it is a good idea to go alone, as i may not have either of my two riding buddies to go with for this one. Has anyone gone on an extended trip alone? what should i take into account to stay safe? what things can i expect when looking for people to ride with at local shops?

Also, how are some ways to cut down on some costs? Any other suggestions on how to do this effectively?

I think you should definitely take an extended bike trip. My (now) wife and I took seven weeks to ride much of the western states and still fondly remember that trip. Itll be hard to find that much time to spare until we're retired.

Camping can save on costs quite a bit, but camping alone can be a bit nerve-racking if you're not used to it. When I've camped alone, I was always on heightened alert for hillbillies and bears.

I had a long old post from a year or two ago on car camping. It's probably still in the archives.

I bet you could arrange to hook up with folks on this board at your different places. If you're going next summer, hit Colorado and Utah hard. AZ might be too hot to be comfortable.

mtbr member

Job will always be there...

Play for a couple of years. I worked my ass of in college. Then I played. I figured I will never be able to do this again, I will never be this young again, so why not. Work will always be there. The best thing I did, was become a ski bum for three years. While my friends did their Grad School or Corporate work assignments, I got to put in over 100+ days of great skiing. Three years in a row! I actually put my degree to work at Tahoe. Summer was spent hiking & fishing in the Sierra's. After three years of it, I figured I better grow up and join the real working class (huh?). Now w/ kids approaching college, I will encourage them to do the same thing.

Jan 2004

Vegas baby! Vegas!

Message at least 5 characters long

mtbr member
    Best thing is get a map, find the definite riding spots, post where you are and where you're heading next. Let the passion flow. You will probably meet more people from here and ride more places then you would if you set a destination. West or east there are plenty of great trails and plenty of great people to meet and ride with.

Best of luck with what ever you do. Just don't rush into the grind too fast, you only live once enjoy every minute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever

Fruita/Moab, Gunnison/Crested Butte, Durango area, Sedona/Flagstaff AZ-a little bit of everything. Take your time to start work-you wont regret it.

ali'i hua
    1- get maps (western US and indian country have to be my favorite two)
    2- pack everything you'll need
    3- go. where ever your spirit guides you.

Im jealous that you have this opportunity. I searched for a job for 6 months after getting done with college and managed 1 week of vacation right before I started the full time gig.

mtbr member
    IMO camping, a big cooler full of chow, and a vehicle with good fuel economy are the keys to keeping road trips affordable. Especially in the western states, there's a lot of public land to camp on (unless posted otherwise, you can camp for free on USFS land as long as you're not blocking a road). I pity people who go out to eat often. I've been known the drop a wad of cash at a restuarant but even on a one-burner camp stove you can cook tasty and healthy for a fraction of what it would cost to have someone else do it. PB&J sustained a pal and myself for a 2 1/2 week, very inexpensive jaunt around the country a few years ago. You probably don't have much of a choice for what vehicle to take though. If you do, take the most reliable.

As for destinations, if I were in your shoes I'd probably make a big loop around the west. Depending on the time of year I'd head through MT and hit some of our underated gems (but our season doesn't start till June depending on snow). Then on over to Spokane where I hear they have some great trails too. Then maybe to BC but now we're talking a long trip. Bend Oregon is somewhere I have yet to visit but will definately go to someday. From there why not see the Pacific ocean for a break if you haven't been their already? Then back over to Fruita and then Moab since they should be warm and are considered "must ride" places. Maybe Durango afterwards. Then further south to Sedona and wherever else is good in AZ (I'm trying to get info on that myself).

Most importantly, have a plan but be flexible. Don't try to see everything at the expense of exhausting yourself and any companions! If you come through Bozeman let me know and I'll be happy to show you around.

Mar 2004
    i am considering a similar venture, probably during may. and yeah im currently traveling solo but would be open to making it more than a party of one. probably be a bit more fun.
    anyone else out there..?