View Poll Results: Where should MTBers be allowed to ride?

Voters
124. This poll is closed
  • 1

    6 4.84%
  • 2

    22 17.74%
  • 3

    22 17.74%
  • 4

    19 15.32%
  • 5

    4 3.23%
  • 6

    17 13.71%
  • 7

    34 27.42%
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073

    Poll: Where should MTBers be allowed to ride?

    1. I don't care what's allowed. Nature was put here for my enjoyment. It's all going down the tubes in the end anyway, so I'm going to ride wherever I please.
    2. MTBing should be allowed anywhere and everywhere.
    3. MTBers and Hikers should have equal access.
    4. MTBers, Hikers, and Horses should all have equal access.
    5. MTBers, Hikers, Horses, and Motorsports should all have equal access.
    6. MTBers should have their own trails, Hikers should have their own trails, Horses should all be set free to roam the plains wild again, Freeriders should stick to controlled, manmade environments like ski resorts, Motorsport slobs should find a new hobby, we should all become vegetarians to end world hunger, and relocate to Tibet to stand against China.
    7. People should practice self-moderation and common courtesy, stick to legal trails, probably stay out of most places to let the rest of nature try to find balance again, learn to be happy both enjoying the bounty we've got, and knowing there's more functioning out there for "someday" (even if it's not in our lifetime).

  2. #2
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    744
    anytime, anyplace, anywhere, anyhow.

    unless they slap cuffs on me.

    and dating a freaky woman has taught me to always carry a handcuff key for quick escapes.

  3. #3
    HTFU and Ride
    Reputation: coachjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    6. MTBers should have their own trails, Hikers should have their own trails, Horses should all be set free to roam the plains wild again, Freeriders should stick to controlled, manmade environments like ski resorts, Motorsport slobs should find a new hobby, we should all become vegetarians to end world hunger, and relocate to Tibet to stand against China.
    all the way man!

    'specially the part about moto folks gettin a new hobby and horse folks getting a grip

    i will prolly be the only vote for 6
    Winter is coming.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,465
    People just need to be reasonable about things. The reason people don't like us is because, generally, they have had issues with bikers before us.

    If you want access to things, you have to prove that you can be an adult. I've seen a lot of talented people work real hard to get access and build the best trails. And all it takes is one bonewipe running down a little kid and it all goes back to square one.

    Responsibility.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    107
    anywhere anytime yeah sure there are d***heads everywhere that end up spoiling the fun for everyone, but until they do I will ride where ever i want
    Ride hard or go home!

    08 Specialized Myka Expert

  6. #6
    I'm SUCH a square....
    Reputation: bigpedaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,952
    I don't think nature was put here for my personal recreation, but...

    I WILL BE DA**ED IF SOME TREE-HUGGING CONTROL FREAK IS GONNA DICTATE TO ME!

    Anywhere there's a trail, get out of my way and let me ride; tires make the same impact on the environment that hiking boots do. I don't catch big air, I don't skid, and I don't poach. But the Sierra Club is on my short list....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

  7. #7
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    I have two answers here:

    Insofar as my ideal opinion would be, it would be to allow the trails to dictate things. There are plenty of trails that will (almost) always be hiking only without any regulation. I have little sympathy for motos, and less for horses. Human power only keeps the lazy f***s where they belong: in the picnic area.

    The second answer has more to do with realpolitik. Once Shrub, Kempthorne, Gingrich, Ted Stevens, and the like are stuffed deep into the hole down which they belong, we can start monkeying with the Wilderness Act. Until then, that's a slippery slope, one of which most people on this here corner are sadly ignorant.

  8. #8
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    I dont think it matters if we go where we arent "supposed" to go, aslong as we give way to those who that place is supposed to be for.

    For example - over here, technically you shouldnt ride on public footpaths... however if you stop/dismount and give way to walkers noone ever has a problem with you.
    Its the same with many other places.

    If people in general were considerate and gave way when it wasnt their right of way, then we wouldnt have people complaining where we ride.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BumpityBump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    7. People should practice self-moderation and common courtesy, stick to legal trails, probably stay out of most places to let the rest of nature try to find balance again, learn to be happy both enjoying the bounty we've got, and knowing there's more functioning out there for "someday" (even if it's not in our lifetime).
    Looks like this category is leading, but everyone thus far did the secret vote. Not me

    Actually, there aren't enough categories but this was closest to my own philosophy. I think foot traffic should be allowed more access than the other groups in more pristine areas though.

  10. #10
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Actually, there aren't enough categories but this was closest to my own philosophy. I think foot traffic should be allowed more access than the other groups in more pristine areas though.
    Dang, I had that as #3, but after fudging them all around, it became blurred beyond recognition until I didn't even remember what it was or why it was there, and I chopped it. Oops.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Not in Wilderness area's. Most other places are on the list.

    Beanman

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    741
    Personally I don't agree that we (or anyone else) have full access to everywhere. There are environments that are fragile enough without our fat tires (or hiking boots), so we should respect this and avoid such places.
    But on the other side I also don't agree with hikers/bikers only paths. With a bit of courtesy and normal behavior from both of us, hikers and bikers, we can easily survive on same trails. Of course there's always some idiots who think different, but at least here in Alps most of people are normal, and with 99% of people (hikers or bikers) there's no problem when we meet on narrow paths.
    So I'm for #7. But because you have small percentage of idiots without brains and without any respect to nature and other people, I guess only chance is to set strict laws and restrictions what is allowed and what is not.
    Primoz

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seosamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    329
    4 equal access for bikes, hikers, horses, however fragile environments should be off limits to all, the rest is fair game.

  14. #14
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    none of the above.

    most public land singletrack should be open to mtbs and hikers, some should be set aside for one or the other, but an equivalent amount thereof for each. big manmade stunts should be restricted to controlled areas of public or private land, where they can be checked frequently for injured riders and there is easy access for emergency vehicles and standards for construction. horses should be restricted to certain areas, as it is now. states, and the rural counties there in should be mandated by federal law to provide legal orv areas for the use of dirt bikes, four wheelers and jeeps if they're gonna allow the sale of them.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    462
    Free Tibet!!!

  16. #16
    Praise Bob
    Reputation: Spartacus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    490

    IMBA did a great job at Santos, FL

    I like the idealistic concept of shared trail usage, but I have found that it doesnt usually work well. Many of our trails where I ride in Florida are very narrow single track cut through limestone quarries. Almost all of these trails are single direction only due to ridges/ledges that make up the trail network. I have quite a few instances where I have come around a blind corner and literarlly ran into hikers walking dogs. This is on trails marked as MTB use only so you arent expecting foot traffic and there is nowhere to dismount. I've had some pretty bad wrecks this way. Usually the hikers get all PO'd when you come up on them so fast *even though the trails are explicitly marked and well labeled*. Plus there is nothing like riding through dog poop.

    On another note, IMBA did an amazing job at Santos in offering equestrian, hiking and biking trails. The only shared trails are the double track beginner trail that circumnavigates the park. There is ample room to yield right of way. The inner red trails are for biking only and are well marked. The red trails also have an intermiediate (blue) qualifier that you must complete before getting to the expert stuff. This keeps the hikers and noobs off the red trails. I find that this is the best combination for shared use as well as specific trail use.

  17. #17
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166
    if its open to one then it should be open to the other and there is no such thing as to fragile.. if its soft all the beter to ride it and make some good worn in single track.. and the tree huggers will flip there lids but who cares. they can go some were that some one cares because i dont.. im not saying ride were we cant but it all should be open to riding. end of rant
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kahiwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    151
    Horses cause more trail damage than bikers and hikers combined.

    With this in mind i think horses should be the first ones to be 'banned' from a trail for environmental rehab.

    My 2 cents.
    F. B. I.

  19. #19
    Professional Amateur
    Reputation: Henrythewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    if its open to one then it should be open to the other and there is no such thing as to fragile.. if its soft all the beter to ride it and make some good worn in single track.. and the tree huggers will flip there lids but who cares. they can go some were that some one cares because i dont.. im not saying ride were we cant but it all should be open to riding. end of rant
    Seriously? Either you were too pissed when you wrote that or your sig is a joke. After I stumbled through your post I was sadly surprised to see how one-sided your argument is. If most were like you everyone would stand around arguing instead of hiking or biking.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30
    Its always a tough one for me, because i do most of it. I hike and camp, I ride mountain bikes, as well as dirt bikes. And i drive a lifted 4x4 off road. I believe there should be access for all, but controled. And i belive that falls mostly on the users. It falls on the responcible users of any group, convincing the idiots to stay where they belong. As a hiker, i want places to go where i dont have to listen to me on my dirt bike. I love wilderness areas for that. Might sound crazy comming from a OHV user. But i have no desire to use my OHV in wilderness areas. I want pritine areas left for my kids some day. And as someone who loves nature photography, i love pristine areas. I live in tahoe area, california. And it doesent get much more pristine than this. But i also believe that montain bikes could be allowed in wilderness areas, if the trail would allow. Not everywhere, but to use an example, boxers wilderness proposal for the castle peak area, would be much better IMO to include provisions for Hole in The Gound tail to stay MTB accesable. And i belive as a dirt bike rider, i should have trail acess to the forest. But serperate from biker/horse/hikers. While i dont mind MTBing the same trail as a hiker, or even a horse at times, i would hate to come across me on my motorcycle. For that very reason, I stay off hiking/MTB trails when riding my dirt bike.

    I really like what Tahoe National Forest is doing with the route inventory project. While it may not be perfect, i think its a step in the right direction. Pointless trails are being closed, some loops are being connected, trailes are being designated Auto/OHV/motorcycle only/non motorized, etc. Ive seen the maps, and like the trail system being set up. But i still think it ultamatly comes back to the user and user groups themselfs, in educating other users, and taking part in taking care of there fav trails. The biggest thing for me is, STAY ON THE #$^& TRAIL! I love the technical short cut as much as the next guy. I want to try that new challenging hill on my Dirt bike. Or climb a different rock in my 4x4. But thats what gets trails closed. So i do my best to stay where im supose to, and enjoy the trails i have! My opinion on any trail, Be it hike, bike, OHV, 4x4, i should be able to stop, walk 50 feet to either side of the trail, and see no more evidance of human activity except maybe a footprint in the dirt.

    What my point of all this? I guess that no one user group must have acess to it all, but provisions need to be made for all user groups in our national lands. And responcible users educate non responcible users, and mostly, different user groups need to learn to work together. Bikers be respectfull of hikers and horses, Horse riders intruduce there horses to bikes before they hit a trail that is muti use. OHV users stay off non OHV trails, and dont run over hikers..4x4 users, pack out your #$%^ garbage, and dont make a new trail just cause its slightly harder!

    Unfortunatly, thats a difficult proposition, due to so much hatred amung different groups. Some of you probably aready hate me because i enjoy OHV use. Heck, even my friends in my own OHV user group have hinted at me being Tree-Hugger, even though its far from the truth, simply because i believe in minimizing my impact on the environment outside my maintained trail.
    Just the opinion of one multi-use user.

  21. #21
    Alien Surf Team
    Reputation: Razorfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,168
    8. Nowhere

  22. #22
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by 340scout2
    Its always a tough one for me, because i do most of it. I hike and camp, I ride mountain bikes, as well as dirt bikes. And i drive a lifted 4x4 off road. I believe there should be access for all, but controlled. And i believe that falls mostly on the users. It falls on the responsible users of all groups, convincing the idiots to stay where they belong. As a hiker, i want places to go where i don't have to listen to me on my dirt bike. I love wilderness areas for that. Might sound crazy coming from a OHV user. But I have no desire to use my OHV in wilderness areas. I want pristine areas left for my kids someday.......But i also believe that mountain bikes could be allowed in wilderness areas, if the trail would allow.,,,,,And i believe as a dirt bike rider, I should have trail access to the forest. But separate from biker/horse/hikers. While I don't mind MTBing the same trail as a hiker, or even a horse at times, i would hate to come across me on my motorcycle. For that very reason, I stay off hiking/MTB trails when riding my dirt bike...

    ....The biggest thing for me is, STAY ON THE #$^& TRAIL! I love the technical short cut as much as the next guy. I want to try that new challenging hill on my Dirt bike. Or climb a different rock in my 4x4. But thats what gets trails closed. So i do my best to stay where I'm supposed to, and enjoy the trails I have! My opinion on any trail, be it hike, bike, OHV, 4x4, i should be able to stop, walk 50 feet to either side of the trail, and see no more evidence of human activity except maybe a footprint or tire track in the dirt.

    What my point of all this? I guess that no one user group must have access to it all, but provisions need to be made for all user groups in our national lands. And responsible users educate non-responsible users, and mostly, different user groups need to learn to work together. Bikers be respectful of hikers and horses, Horse riders introduce there horses to bikes before they hit a trail that is multi-use. OHV users stay off non OHV trails, and don't run over hikers. 4x4 users, pack out your #$%^ garbage, and don't make a new trail just cause its slightly harder!

    Unfortunately, thats a difficult proposition, due to so much hatred among the different groups. Some of you probably already hate me because I enjoy OHV use. Heck, even my friends in my own OHV user group have hinted at me being Tree-Hugger, even though its far from the truth, simply because i believe in minimizing my impact on the environment outside my maintained trail...
    X2............................and...Amen.

    BTW, I hate the poop on trails....especially horse and dog poop that I get to ride through. And the TP Daisys that people leave who don't know how or are too lazy to properly take care of their own chit.

    Didn't vote cause there's no 2.5.
    Get off the couch and ride!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754
    Sensitive topic.

    Although I'd like to make a blanket statement, injecting ourselves into any area that is
    accessible by other, non-biking groups will always result in frustration.

    (these are not a complete lists, but the concepts are part of the sets)

    * Riders will be frustrated when traffic is high and they can't "open up".
    * We'll be frustrated when the groove was on, but there was a need to interrupt to share the trail.
    * Non-bikers will be frustrated when they feel as if they are in a position where an accident
    can occur due to sharing the trail with someone that is passing in either direction while
    being of a different trail-user group.


    The best solution would require usage-specific trails for all groups because,

    * Hikers don't want to step in horse sh!t.
    * Riders don't want to ride through horse sh!t.
    * Hikers don't want to jump out to the side when riders or horses are passing.
    * Riders, don't want to lock it up when they come upon hikers or horses.

    On some of the best (my opinion) trails, just finding a safe place that is wide enough to
    pass can be an issue.

    Even same-users passing other same-users results in points of contention, but that's less
    of an issue and usually more low-key than user of different groups passing each other. Why?
    Because they can relate with each other better.

    Multi-use trails result in multi-conflict situations.

    Therefore, I believe there should be specific-use trails.

    * Motorized (dirt bikes, snow mobiles, ORVs, etc)
    * non-motorized mechanical (bikes, unicycles, pogo sticks, etc)
    * foot travel (hikers, runners, butt-cheek schootchers, etc)
    * equestrians (horses, camels, Galapagos turtles, etc)

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    Free Tibet!!!
    I'll take it!

    (Shameless family guy reference )

  25. #25
    Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Reputation: thebigred67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,469
    Voter # 100!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

  26. #26
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,409
    Dang, i thought it was a rhetorical question. Shows how much I know.

    I'll vote #7 anyways.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.