Cap'n Injury

Pennsylvania - Colorado roadtrip biking / camping suggestions?

So- the big roadtrip that my friends and I have been planning all year is happening next week. The only problem is that everyone just bailed out on me today, leaving me to drive from Eastern Pennsylvania to Colorado by myself. Joy.

I've decided that it's the perfect opportunity, with those non-biking lugs no longer coming along, to check out some good cheap camping / mountain biking spots while making the trip!

MTBR community, I humbly call upon your aid- please help me plan out the stops for my epic 1700 mile journey! Help me turn a mind-numbingly long drive into something great!

crd
    ride like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGherkin
    The only problem is that everyone just bailed out on me today, leaving me to drive from Eastern Pennsylvania to Colorado by myself. Joy
    Wow, were these people friends..? Don't they know Colorado will be perfect weather by the time you get here (or just wait a minute, and it will change)? I don't know about driving route camping suggestions, when I did the cross country trip I just went 70 from east to west in 2 days. St. Louis seemed to be a 1/2 point for me.

Where you looking to go in CO?

Central IL
    May 2008
    Are you taking I-70 or I-80? Brown County State Park in Indiana is supposed to be really good and it's not too far off of I-70. If you are taking I-80 there is Sunderbruch in Davenport, IA and search for Sugar Bottom more toward Iowa City, I forget where exactly it is. Kansas City and other places in Missouri (Berryman) are supposed to have some great trails.

If I were doing the research I would probably look at medium to major sized cities along your route and search for local MTB clubs. Most towns have a club and will have more detailed information. Do the research and you could have a great way to break up the trip and when you get there your legs will be stiff from all of the riding and sitting as opposed to just all the sitting!

skillz to pay billz
    I would just drive straight thru.

Cap'n Injury
    Quote Originally Posted by crd
    Wow, were these people friends..? Don't they know Colorado will be perfect weather by the time you get here (or just wait a minute, and it will change)? I don't know about driving route camping suggestions, when I did the cross country trip I just went 70 from east to west in 2 days. St. Louis seemed to be a 1/2 point for me.

Where you looking to go in CO?
    Supposedly friends, yeah, haha. Fools for not going, I know! The route I'm going to be taking is I-80 to I-70 for most of the gambit. I'm going to be ending up in Colorado Springs for most of the summer!

Cap'n Injury
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrowni83
    Are you taking I-70 or I-80? Brown County State Park in Indiana is supposed to be really good and it's not too far off of I-70. If you are taking I-80 there is Sunderbruch in Davenport, IA and search for Sugar Bottom more toward Iowa City, I forget where exactly it is. Kansas City and other places in Missouri (Berryman) are supposed to have some great trails.
    Thanks for the tips! I'm going to be driving most of the way on I-70, so I'll check out Brown County State Park.

I'll have to swing by the Missouri boards to see what they think : ).

mtbr member
    It's all about the journey. There's a guy from the Oregon board that did a xc journey with his wife. I think his blog is the "giddyup" tour or something. Might check the board and see what his thoughts are, they spent several months in a van driving around the US and Cananda. Enjoy yourself. If I didn't have a job, wife, kid, mortgage, etc. I'd take the journey.

mtbr member
    Go to Estes Park and do Trail ridge Road.
    I was in the pain cave and I had dropped the flashlight, so it was pretty dark at that point. I was just hanging on.

Members who have read this thread: 0