peak to Peak Passion (caution-roadie content)- Mtbr.com
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Smile peak to Peak Passion (caution-roadie content)

So after fooling around with a fixie most of the winter (when not on a fat tired thing), today was a good time to get out on it's geared brother and see if any fixie fitness had been picked up. Out I went, not sure how it'd go. Sore, sore legs from some XC skiing yesterday left me wondering if my chosen route was a good idea......but the sky was clear, and the temps were high; well worth sticking to my route! Pics of Skiing stuff in there too. For People's Republic locals: from Longmont, up Hwy7 up to 72, and down through Ward, returning to home on 36/66. Skiing was out Buchanon Pass to the Wlderness bounds and back. Reeeeeeally wet and sloppy, as it was so warm up there.

Around 5k of climbing, and me feeling like I'd been hamstrung. Great. Nah, it really wasn't too bad. Very little traffic, and only few other riders seen.

I love aspen. Beautiful.

Ugh. I'd not been on XC skis for a long time. Ouch.

Ah, how cute, it's trying to make a snow angel.

More aspen. Eh, I'm a sucker for them- I love the look of them blended in with other greenery.

It's a good thing I was wearing my helmet. Whew.

Do not, whatever you do, no matter how bad you may be bonking......ever get coffee from this place. Just trust me on it, m'kay?

That's all I got. Eh. I think tomorrow will be a nice easy day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Do not, whatever you do, no matter how bad you may be bonking......ever get coffee from this place. Just trust me on it, m'kay?.
    Next time look for a Taco Bell. It has the best coffee out of fast food places.

contains quinine

the parallels...

here's some pics of the same area... just this saturday.since it was super windy in the lowlands and muddy pretty much everywhere, why not go skiing. yeah, bright idea. winds were worse up on the peak to peak.skiied towards rainbow lakes for a while before deciding to bail. prolly got 75 minutes in. was pretty brutal. followed up saturday with a bigish gravel ride on the cross bike around the north end of the county. it was the best (only) 2 1/2 hour ride of the year!

i've decided to ride the p2p much more often on the skinny tires. i've only done it once and it was spectacular. your pics only reenforce that...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

heh, we were up there saturday too. was coming down pretty good. our tracks form going in were fairly obscured by the time we turned around.

first time i've ridden it as a whole loop; i've always just done out and backs from longmont before. couldn't have picked a better day for it!

Jed Peters
    Great shots, looks like a fun ride

Des(s)ert Rat
    Nice photos. Bit of useless information, my sister and I own the building that sits next to the coffee house. You're reminding me that I should go up and visit. It's been years.

Card Carrying Member
    Cool pics, and good seeing you again. Oh, and yeah, I found my phone.

I was up there again this morning, slugging away trying to teach myself to ride again. Saw about 30 mule deer and 15 elderly hikers, and I think the mule deer were more friendly. Well, at least they (deer) were until I put my cam back in my pack and snapped my chest buckle. Guess it sounded like a gun loading or something. ???

Anyway, off to find out why I keep dropping the chain. Much more of that and my knees are going to look like hamburger. It looks like I'm pulling the drive side forward in the dropout under heavy load.

Nat
    mtbr member

Yikes, that coffee store!

A friend of mine grew up in the shack just a few doors down from that building (towards the camera). He was telling us how as a school kid he'd wake up with a snow drift inside his room, and how he'd have to dash to the main room where they had a heater. Brrrrrrr! Ward and its feral kids!

ride
    Peak to Peak is a great ride. With good daylight hours, my staple post work road ride is from home up to Peaceful Valley and back. Ever gone north up thru Allesnpark? I like that way a little better. You can make a small little loop on a paved county road up at the base of Longs, neer Meeker Park. Beautiful country up there, eh?
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

nope; i've not done it that way yet. if i do, i'll likely go all the way into estes and have the girlie meet me for lunch/dinner.....and a ride back home if i'm too dead!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hey, I was a feral Ward kid! What's your friend's name?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    nope; i've not done it that way yet. if i do, i'll likely go all the way into estes and have the girlie meet me for lunch/dinner.....and a ride back home if i'm too dead!
    I like that way a little better. Dropping down thru Windy Gap into Estes is pretty fun. It's really fast. 36 is a lot less fun coming down than you would think, though. Save up the energy and go back from whence you came. 7 is much better going down. 36, on the other hand, has lots of pedaling and tons of cars. CDOT allegedly has plans for a superwide shoulder within the next 2 years for that, though...

Also, if you meet up in Estes, do a lap around the low side of RMNP before lunch and get a ride home in the car. That'd be a pretty fun and long ride.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

trail waggler

Nice shot of Middle St. Vrain Rd....

Looks like you had fun Dave! Musta been a great day. When I was up there last, ummm, three weeks ago, it was 10 degrees when I got back to my truck!

I definitely like the Buchanan Pass singletrack over the jeep road, though both are fun!

Nat
    mtbr member

You grew up there?

Friend is John Mans. Brother Dave, (late) mom Rena, and father-in-law Norm. You know them?

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Hey, I was a feral Ward kid! What's your friend's name?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Sounds familiar, but I think I might be a bit older than your friend (as much as I may hate to admit that). The names Rena and Norm sound very familiar. Was/is Norm a big guy with strawberry blonde hair and beard?

My (late as well) mom lived there for about 15 years before she passed away. Rosemary the artist.

yeah, i'd rather have been on the ST, but the snow on it was failry patchy and really slushy in some spots. the road was better. up there last saturday, and it was about 20deg and dumping on us bigtime! what a difference a few degrees makes....

I definitely like the Buchanan Pass singletrack over the jeep road, though both are fun![/QUOTE]

Nat
    mtbr member
    I think that's the same Norm. He was the Sheriff for awhile and Rena was a real estate agent. John would be 36 now and Dave closer to 40. I know a few other people from that Ward/Ned area and it's likely we know a few of the same folks. Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Sounds familiar, but I think I might be a bit older than your friend (as much as I may hate to admit that). The names Rena and Norm sound very familiar. Was/is Norm a big guy with strawberry blonde hair and beard?

My (late as well) mom lived there for about 15 years before she passed away. Rosemary the artist.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hmmm... Right ages, even a little older than I. Must be because they didn't have the usual Ward names, like: Sequoia (sp), Leif, Bobbi Ann, Freedom, Shanti. Also, I was a "part-timer" since my father lived in Boulder I got shuffled back and forth, making it difficult to keep track of anyone that wasn't a close friend.