The Pain Is exquisite- Mtbr.com
    Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm The Pain Is exquisite

I just move to the North Carolina Mountains,
    Been a flat lander all my life,
    The Mountain I live on, the road to my house and to the others,,,
    Has several 13 degree, (estimated) climbs,
    I think that's about 22-24 percent grades....
    The Pain Is freakin' awsume, I have died and gone to heaven:P
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Don't forget to halve all inclination 'estimates', as we all tend to extremely greatly exaggerate our climbs, whether they be by foot, bike, moto, or vehicle.

A 13 degree incline is a 23% grade...

A 20% grade requires 150w to maintain 1m/s. That's a pretty serious climb for pros.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Don't forget to halve all inclination 'estimates', as we all tend to extremely greatly exaggerate our climbs, whether they be by foot, bike, moto, or vehicle.

A 13 degree incline is a 23% grade...

A 20% grade requires 150w to maintain 1m/s. That's a pretty serious climb for pros.
    My 'estimate' is from a phone app. I walked partway down a few of my grades with a six foot 2x4 placing that on the grade and the phone on that.
    The 'bubble level' app showed 12.7 degrees off level to as much as 13.4 degrees on various climbs. One section with three switchbacks gains about 500 feet in a quarter mile.
    So I hope I was In the ball park and not, "extremely greatly exaggerating"

As For This part, "A 20% grade requires 150w to maintain 1m/s. That's a pretty serious climb for pros."
    Wow that explains why I burn out so fast, I would again estimate my total
    wattage at max Q would be in the 250 watt range, not sure on this point.

One road has three gutsy climbs, each about 100 feet with down slopes between spanning 3 tenths of a mile
    I can make It up two of the three. The longer grades are only a quarter mile and broken up with switch backs.

Maybe It's time to put my front derailleur back on ? Would this keep me on the bike longer ?
    I'm not good spinner..
    “I seek only the Flow”,

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Be careful about getting too rambo on the climbs too quickly - I made that mistake when I moved to Utah in 2014 and went all rambo doing long steep climbs too quick and got a nice case of Achilles tendonitis....you don't wnat that - sucks.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ah, the mountains of NC. That's where I want to be! I live in the mountains but would love to get somewhere that it is a little warmer year around. It's 18* here now and snowing.

mtbr member
    Head over to Pisgah!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Maybe It's time to put my front derailleur back on ? Would this keep me on the bike longer ?
    I'm not good spinner..
    One can obviously increase torque by reducing gearing, but how far one can go depends upon how fast you can spin reliably, and how well you can balance the bike at low speed. I am a perfectly capable spinner, won many roller races, and I can balance at a near standstill, but even so I don't think I could go much further than the 36/24 (26") on my F5 before I would have to maintain a pretty quick spin to have the momentum needed to not wear myself out mentally with balancing. As it stands, when I get close to losing the battle of center of gravity, I reduce my spin rate so I can set my elbows between the grips and bar ends to shift my weight forward without standing up. If I were geared any lower, I would not be able to balance in that situation.

I'd add in a lower gear and see how it feels.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    If you're not a good spinner, and pain is exquisite, maybe it's time to take the rear derailleur off, instead of putting the front one back on

Well, that works ok in the foothills. Maybe not such a great idea in the mountains...

Glad you're stoked about your new digs, though!

Elitest thrill junkie
    During the endurance races I do, the first 3 hours is pain, and then my body kind of goes numb and it never really gets any worse over the next 12-16 hours.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    During the endurance races I do, the first 3 hours is pain, and then my body kind of goes numb and it never really gets any worse over the next 12-16 hours.
    I don't do those sorts of rides, but I have noticed the same thing on a smaller scale. Once I push through the pain at the beginning of a ride, my body seems to realize it isn't going to be able to convince me to stop and it quiets down its complaining.

Lone Wolf
    All Interesting points to ponder, thanks for the advice and shared experience.

I just may try the front derailleur as I have that 36/24 front chain ring set up still brand new in a box from when I bought my bike and went 1x11 right away. (For Florida)

My 1st gear now Is a 32T up front and the 42T out back.

If I go 2x I'll keep my 11 speed XT rear with the 42T cassete,
    2nd gear is a 37T, 3rd is a 34T and so on..

As one said, I don't want to Injure my Achilles, I did have some hard roller work the next day on a pair of Inside mid thigh cramps, one In each leg.

Plus since I have a good roller flow of short hills to play on the big gear jump up front may work for me...

Pisgah, absolutely ! two hours away I think.

Hanging Dog, yup !
    Piney Knob, yesserie !
    Jack Rabbit near Hayesville, You Betcha !
    All these are within an hour drive, with two inside a half hour.....

And Fire Mountain will be a goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJpxpdZa1s

I was told I had about 150 miles of Trails within a hundred miles of my home In Central Fla.
    Now I'm told I have over 700 miles of trails up here within a 150 miles of me..
    But I'm not ready,,yet...
    “I seek only the Flow”,

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can go with a xt 46t cassette or the Sun 50t if you don't want to go 2x.

mtbr member
    .....moved
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 03-20-2018 at 06:45 AM.

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    You can go with a xt 46t cassette or the Sun 50t if you don't want to go 2x.
    I went with a Wolftooth 49T GC and a 30T front when I went to Dupont the first time. It served me pretty well as I am woefully out of shape and a touch pudgy.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

the discerning hooligan
    First thing is that, if you get rid of that 6' 2x4 you carry for measuring the pitch, climbing will get a lot easier.

I'm one of the few hold-outs on 2x gearing, having reinstalled it on my trail rig. My main issue was the reduced ground clearance of the long cage derailleur with the giant low range cassette. My other issue was that I missed the closer ratios of the 2x10. I think taking on the hills with the 2x is a much better option than buying a 46t cassette with a 9 tooth jump from the granny to the second gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I was told I had about 150 miles of Trails within a hundred miles of my home In Central Fla.
    Now I'm told I have over 700 miles of trails up here within a 150 miles of me..
    But I'm not ready,,yet...
    Just enjoy the pain and the wonderful coppery taste you get when there's blood in your lungs!
    You could always head to Utah where there are 400+ miles of singletrack within 20 miles.....but you'll need to shrink the 32 tooth down to 28 or 30, or use a 2x. 3000 feet of climbing in 7 or 8 miles can work you pretty hard when you're above 7000'.
    (And you'd need a longer 2x4!)