Paging WarrGuru, pfunk, SC peeps -- Wilder trail condition?- Mtbr.com
    Part-time rider

New question here. Paging WarrGuru, pfunk, SC peeps -- Wilder trail condition?

Has the recent streak of sunshine helped the trail condition at Wilder at all? How's Wilder Ridge Loop, Zane Grey, Twin Oaks?? I might be able to hit the trails this week, but I'll wait a bit longer if its still sloppy.

Thx,
    K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Zero
    Has the recent streak of sunshine helped the trail condition at Wilder at all? How's Wilder Ridge Loop, Zane Grey, Twin Oaks?? I might be able to hit the trails this week, but I'll wait a bit longer if its still sloppy.

Thx,
    K-Zero
    I'll be riding there between 4 and 6 today. I'll report back on the trail conditions.

Broken and dizzy
    Hey, I was up there last weekend, 2/29 and there were still quite a few muddy spots around mid-mountain. After this weeks "heat wave" though, I would say it fine now. Just an FYI too, they have the Enchanted Forrest loop closed.

FWIW, I rode UCSC both days this weekend and it is already quite dry.

Part-time rider
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    I'll be riding there between 4 and 6 today. I'll report back on the trail conditions.
    Thx, lookin foward to it.

K-Zero

the bomb

haven't been for a couple of week

Thx,
    K-Zero
    can't give you any up to date info. Between the new job and a cold, I haven't ridden for a few week Hope to get out soon though. Job is going well, but a little hectic. Enjoy your ride if you get out
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Part-time rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    FWIW, I rode UCSC both days this weekend and it is already quite dry.
    Thx for th info. I take it you rode U-Con/Pogonip?

K-Zero (banana slug 4 life)

Broken and dizzy
    Thx for th info. I take it you rode U-Con/Pogonip?

K-Zero (banana slug 4 life)
    Well, that's the usual start point. Up U-Con to the Wilder / UCSC gates and back down whatever trail inspires me at the moment. However, I was lazy Sunday. Shuttled from the log ride area way up top only to find out 1/4 mile from HWY9 that the GF left the keys to her car on the floorboard of my truck back at the top of the mountain. Soooo, we ended up climbing anyway. So much for being lazy.... Anyway, all the trails up at UCSC are great right now!

Jan 2004
    Look, no offense to anyone requesting wilder conditions, but seriously, there are precious few variables that need to be considered when pondering how sloppy things are.

- How long has it been since it rained?
    - How sunny has it been since it rained and how hot was it?

Thats pretty much as deep as the rabbit hole goes. The weather has been very nice for the past several days, and so most trails (especially in Pogonip) are in excellent riding condition. Some trails, like the trail from the top of Wilder to the beach and also Magic Carpets, will remain muddy for longer.

Unless there is a monumental change in climate or the sun stops emitting light, these same variables will hold true.

Part-time rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime
    I don't live in Santa Cruz -- that's why I asked. Is it that hard to understand?

Btw, there are many other variables which can affect trail condition -- including shades/trees and equestrian traffic.

K-Zero

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Rode Wilder on Monday...Wilder still has some slop on it. Some trails are worse than others. Cabin is in pretty good shape, but most could still use some extended drying out... I am interested in UCSC though. Nice to hear that theyr'e ridable. Last I heard, Lock em ups was a cemetary...

Dec 2003

You got it almost right

Look, no offense to anyone requesting wilder conditions, but seriously, there are precious few variables that need to be considered when pondering how sloppy things are.

Thats pretty much as deep as the rabbit hole goes. The weather has been very nice for the past several days, and so most trails (especially in Pogonip) are in excellent riding condition. Some trails, like the trail from the top of Wilder to the beach and also Magic Carpets, will remain muddy for longer.

Unless there is a monumental change in climate or the sun stops emitting light, these same variables will hold true.
    Other factors (probably mentioned already) are:

Humidity - yep...it's a factor
    Shade - makes a big difference
    terrain - also makes a difference

Bottom line....THe trails at the top of UCSC are fine except for one....

The trails that drop to hiway 9 from UC are muddy near the bottom...very muddy. It'll be a week or more of good weather before they're good.

Cabin is fine ...as is the bottom of Eucalyptus loop.

Jan 2004
    I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone, i'm just saying that there aren't a whole lot of factors that come into play when dealing with wilder conditions. Look, if it hasn't rained for a week and its been fairly sunny and warm, play ball. Unless you decide to do one of a few select trails that have a hard time cleaning up, you will be fine. Even if the cosmos align and there is a significant amount of mud on all of the trails, hey, not the end of the world.

Dec 2003
    I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone, i'm just saying that there aren't a whole lot of factors that come into play when dealing with wilder conditions. Look, if it hasn't rained for a week and its been fairly sunny and warm, play ball. Unless you decide to do one of a few select trails that have a hard time cleaning up, you will be fine. Even if the cosmos align and there is a significant amount of mud on all of the trails, hey, not the end of the world.
    The poster asked a question. Nothing is better than asking someone that's been there recently. ALso........we never did define what "muddy" means.

I think that everyone has different takes on "muddy"

For some it's one puddle in the middle of the trail.....For others, muddy means that the trail is mostly mud.

I checked out the bottom of Magic Carpet and it's a mess. It won't be difficult to ride, but it does tend to screw up the trail.

Remember....Those trails are all illegal. There currently isn't too much enforcement, but if people keep building stunts and riding when it's muddy, we'll all lose out eventually. Last week a bunch of guys on downhill bikes tore down the barriers blocking Chinquapin fire road (fire road and legal). The barriers are put up each year to protect the Ohlone TIger Beetle. You can ride your bike next to the fire road.....no big deal.

When I was on my way back, I came across a Ranger that was fixing the broken barriers (yellow tape, actually). He was angry as hell and made comments about the "damn mountain bikers". I told him that most of the bikers there do obey the rules. I told him that I saw the riders that tore it down. I couldn't identify them, but could see that they were all on long travel bikes (bullits and the like).

Anyway....end of rant. I just wanted to point out that it is important to make sure that we don't damage any trails, especially the illegal ones. The powers that be are currently looking the other way. We need to make sure that we don't do anything that forces their hand in to strict enforcement.
    Last edited by WarrGuru; 03-10-2004 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typos

Jan 2004
    Warr, I totally agree that we need to keep the trails in good shape for everyone to enjoy. I can't even really express how stupid I think those bikers are for taking down the tape.

*damn it, i wrote a bunch too, but jeez, its already been said. Carry on*

Members who have read this thread: 0