Our Summer Epic in Pics and GoogleEarth- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Our Summer Epic in Pics and GoogleEarth

A 5 day trip I did with some friends in the Chilcotin area of BC this summer.

Best seen with Google Earth by downloading THIS.

...but if you don't do that sort of thing here's some links.

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5

Tree Hugger
    Wow!! Cool trip, and cool GoogleEarth file. Did you actually GPS the photo locations, or just approximate them when placing them along your route?

Also, very cool re-visiting the spot you hiked 20+ years ago. Too bad your Dad couldn't join you for the return.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Rolling
    Cool stuff.

Seems like having the google-earth plus, makes having programs like national geographic TOPO obsolete. Would you say that is a fair assessment given your experience with G.E?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sounds like a cool trip. Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Neat stuff smoke. We did that same trip except we went from the south end of Taseko to Tyax via Iron Pass. So instead of going down Warner way we hung a left at Battlement Crk. I didn't fancy towing the sled so we carried everything on packs.

That was really well written and i loved the old-school pic of you and dad. I wish my dad had done stuff like that with me,
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Cool stuff.

Seems like having the google-earth plus, makes having programs like national geographic TOPO obsolete. Would you say that is a fair assessment given your experience with G.E?
    What would GE plus do? Does it give 1:20,000 or 1:50,000 scale? BC maps are so primitive that i'm curious to find anything that would help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Wow!! Cool trip, and cool GoogleEarth file. Did you actually GPS the photo locations, or just approximate them when placing them along your route?

Also, very cool re-visiting the spot you hiked 20+ years ago. Too bad your Dad couldn't join you for the return.
    No GPS. I've had mixed results with a GPS in BC mountains anyway. With the tall peaks and all the trees you get random plots all over unless you really take your time getting a good reading. Most of the shots are pretty damn close to the actual spots. What I'd really like to get are higher res overlays of the area (Hey Nardo...you getting this?).

The old man SHOULD be on trips like this, but he's too afraid of singletrack. At least he can hammer on the road bike, so he's not completely lost.

And Lee, Sharon showed me shots of your trip. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is towing the trailer. Look for one at this year's Ripper events ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Cool stuff.

Yup, that sounds about right. If you want to integrate your GPS plots, then the extra $20 for the Plus version of GE is essential. You also get somewhat better performance.

Also, if you hit CTRL + G you can use it like a flight simulator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    What would GE plus do? Does it give 1:20,000 or 1:50,000 scale? BC maps are so primitive that i'm curious to find anything that would help
    Lee, if you want more BC mapping resources, I think I sent you this link before...

http://webmap.em.gov.bc.ca/mapplace/minpot/general.cfm

There's some pretty good aerial photo layers to use. The RDSO (rdso.org I think) has some decent stuff too, but it's limited. BC only has certain areas under hi-res, but you can actually see the step-up to turtleback thingy on Boss Hawg in Kelowna if you know where to look......

Nov 2006
    dude. that's awesome. thanks for packaging it up and sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    No GPS. I've had mixed results with a GPS in BC mountains anyway. With the tall peaks and all the trees you get random plots all over unless you really take your time getting a good reading. Most of the shots are pretty damn close to the actual spots. What I'd really like to get are higher res overlays of the area (Hey Nardo...you getting this?).
    Very cool! Nicely put together w/ Google Earth and being able to share it with everyone.

FYI - I have the new Garmin 60CSx w/ the SiRFIII chipset and it has performed really well in the CO and NM mountains so far, no lost signals, etc.

I also use TopoFusion which has a really neat feature called PhotoFusion that automatically links your pictures to the spot that they were taken on the route using the timestamp the digital picture has and the GPS timestamp - really sweet. But not as easy to share with others as GE I don't think.

Main page: http://www.topofusion.com/

PhotoFusion page: http://www.topofusion.com/photofusion.php

Anyway, nicely documented epic!!

Ed E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Very cool! Nicely put together w/ Google Earth and being able to share it with everyone.

FYI - I have the new Garmin 60CSx w/ the SiRFIII chipset and it has performed really well in the CO and NM mountains so far, no lost signals, etc.

I also use TopoFusion which has a really neat feature called PhotoFusion that automatically links your pictures to the spot that they were taken on the route using the timestamp the digital picture has and the GPS timestamp - really sweet. But not as easy to share with others as GE I don't think.

Main page: http://www.topofusion.com/

PhotoFusion page: http://www.topofusion.com/photofusion.php

Anyway, nicely documented epic!!

Ed E
    I think some of it is from being that much farther north. The satellites get pretty low on the horizon. I mapped the North Shore a few years ago with a full on state of the art (at the time) backpack style radar dome, and even with that and a stationary reference point 20 miles away I still had lots of variation. We got a good average plot, but jags were in the 300m range. Not exactly precise!

Then again, time marches on. If I had one, I'd have hundreds of trails mapped by now.

There's a ton of nerds playing with the GE API these days. I betcha that someone's already built an app that will syncronise your image and gps data to geotag your shots.

beer thief
    In the mountain biking world, 'epic' seems to be an over-used description. I think this one definitely fits the bill. Really impressive, thanks for posting.

No mosquitos, judging from the shirtless riders?

rohloff rich
    Excellent TR! I'm curious about the equipment failures. Which trailers made it and which didn't? Any other gear that performed better or worse than expected?

Sep 2006
    Very nice presentation. Thanks for sharing, Google Earth is fun!

Dude...

That's awesome, some seriously crappy scenery you guys have got there.. How's single track riding with a fully loaded B.O.B. anyways? I want to link up some long rides in SW US next summer.

As for Liderman's comment, GE plus isn't really that great, except for cool pictures like that. I had it for a year, and TOPO! could produce much better topo maps.

GE can do topo overlays, but the quality is kind crummy compared to TOPO!

mtbr member
    Wow...so many comments and questions.

No....GE doesn't produce topographical line data. However, that link I put up for Lee has 1:20 000 TRIM data for most of BC. I don't know if the Nat Geo TOPO covers Canada.

On the other hand, if you can get good orthophoto sets and put them on top of GE, then you don't really need the topo data. Depends on your needs. For generating cool images in 3-D, nothing beats it IMO.

If you really want to see what an area looks like in GE, set your vertical exaggeration to at least 1.5 (I like 2).

Equipment. We were mostly using B.O.B. trailers. A bunch of Yak's, one Ibex (full susser). The Ibex was neat but no real advantage. The Yak's are pretty good, but we're pushing them well beyond what they're designed for. A few flats, some wheels fell out. The one Yakima had a flat and the skewer on the rear wheel broke once. All of them used little wire bails to hold the trailer ot the bike. I think maybe three or four broke all week.

The one that totally fried was a Coz. It's not meant for anything other than pavement. It had isssues right off the bat. Too wide and too low. It eventually snapped in half and couldn't be repaired.

Shane's trailer actually broke at the main steering axle, but he fixed it with rope and made it out easily. When I last saw him he was prepping it for the welder.

Bikes worked well. One issue withthe trailers is that they will snap your derailleur off if you go over a an obstacle like a ffallen tree. The trailer arms will contact the main fixing bolt and bend the der. into the wheel. Steve and I had the least trouble here, as we were on Chromag steel hardtails. While we both managed to bend the hangers a little on the bikes, it took a lot of force to do it and we had planned ahead on bending them back (stout allen key and vise grips). Everyone else had lots of r der. issues, and we were running low on replacement hangers at the end. Full suspension seemed to be overly flexy and provided no advantages on the ride.

Trailers are FUN to ride with. I was totally surprised. Once you build up a head of steam, they're pretty much unstoppable, and also un-endo-able. You get a lot of inertia that makes getting through technical sections pretty easy. you also get crazy traction with the extra weight. I had the theme from "Smokey and the Bandit"in my head a lot of the time though (we got a long way to go,and short time to git there....).

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    Wow...so many comments and questions.
    That';s because its such a damn cool trip, so well written up in such a cool area.

The BC map link is cool - BUT it doesn't have a waypoint overlay and the placenames are pretty bare. We desperately need decent mapping software with a UI that uses TRIM data. The BC map data is much more accurate then the old Canadian 1:50,000s

A friend of ours coded a resource for maps and i put together some maps with placenames here http://www.leelau.net/ns.htm

mtbr member
    Yo Lee,

Zoom in.

There's more options at larger scales, including full TRIM sets and several orthophoto and raster sets.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Ok - wow - what a nice tool. Rasters are nice but they do clutter the map - but i guess that's personal opinion.

1. How to print and generate maps with UTM lines marked with numbers?

2. What feature to toggle to generate placenames?

mtbr member
    Yeah...placenames. No dice there. But those are just for storytelling. Navigation should be gridref.

As it's Autodesk, you either need to have a full size plotter or you need to do a copy/paste routine into an image editor and stitch smaller regions together along with appropriate info (like placenames and UTM indices) manually.

mtbr member
    I found an even better version.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/imf50/imf.jsp?site=imapbc

Make sure you'e got popups enabled and then click the add layers button (it has a + sign on it).

UN-REAL

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Very cool epic trip!!
    Southern Chilcotin's are incredible.
    Thanks

K

Members who have read this thread: 0