It only took 4 laps -Tsali 6/12 hr race rept- Mtbr.com
    i worship Mr T

It only took 4 laps -Tsali 6/12 hr race rept (lots 'o pix)

It only took 4 laps until I got lapped by Tinker. Well, technically I guess it really only took 3 laps since he passed me as I was stopped for a much needed drivetrain hose-down just before my 4th lap. And he was probably starting his 6th lap, maybe even 7th, at that point.

Tinker (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

Saturday was the 12 Hours of Tsali race. I opted to do the 6 hr solo option which was apparently designed with sissies like me in mind. This was my 2nd ever multiple lap solo endurance race. My first was an 8 hr solo effort down in FL about 2 years ago that was such a disaster for me that I had pretty much written off ever doing anything that stupid again. Don’t ask what kind of crack I was smoking that I suddenly decided 2 weeks ago that I should do a 6 hr race. Maybe the pain of the last one had finally faded sufficiently?

The race:
    Lap distance: 12.5 miles
    Climbing: dunno, anyone have an altimeter? Maybe 1000'/lap? Whatever it was, it was more than you'd want to do for 6 hrs.
    Course conditions: muddy, sloppy, steamy, then absolutely perfect
    Goal: 6 laps

We prerode the course a week ago. Immediately after 3 days of rain. It was awful. Tsali is usually fast and smooth. In the wet it was sloppy and horrendous - descents were slow due to all the [email protected] flying off your front tire straight into your eyes (despite sunglasses) and climbs were slower due to slick conditions and the fact that you were blinded from all the [email protected] that came off your front tire on the previous descent. Whereas I had initially deluded myself into thinking that I could turn 50 minute laps on a dry course (total delusion since that would have required me to keep an average speed of 15 mph which I can’t even do in a shorter xc race) it took us 1:20 to crawl through our sloppy preride.

Fantasy goal: 6 laps
    Ideal goal: 5 laps
    Revised-realistic-I-can-be-happy-with-this goal: 4 laps

This was to be a long training ride for me. I was not going out there to win. Just out to get a long, level 2 (endurance) ride and try to have fun (something that's been missing from my recent racing experiences). Rain and sloppy, muddy conditions would not be fun. All week I prayed for sunshine and dry weather. I didn't wash my car or clean any bike (all the ways in which I generally control the weather). It still rained. Thursday. Friday. Friday night. It rained cats and dogs. I'm surprised the mountains didn't just wash away. But, no such luck.

Saturday dawned grey, misty, cool and threatening. I was unenthused, but kept telling myself that it would burn off by race time (10am). Yeah. Right.

Our pit tent was set up just beyond the gate in the feed/pit zone along County Line Rd. Z, Charlie and I would be using this as our base for the next 6 hrs and Chad would be using it for 12 hrs (Chad’s the only real stud out of all of us!) with Tammy as our pit-fairy.

To combat the mud we spray our bikes down with Pam before the start of the race.

Charlie loves Pam

bikes in the jungle (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

more bikes waiting for riders

Riders meeting at 9:30 am, and then we all meandered over toward the base of County Line Rd. which would serve as the spot for the Lemans start.

I don't believe in running. In fact, I think it may even be against my religion. If it’s not, it should be. Running is bad for you. If we had been meant to run no one would ever have invented the bicycle. Running sucks. More importantly, I suck at running. Needless to say I was not looking forward to the 1/2 mile up hill run that would begin our race. I decided that I would walk.

So there we are hanging back about 30 yards away from the start and at least 15' off the back of the pack, milling about, joking around, laughing, paying no attention to anything around us when suddenly the air horn sounds and the pack takes off!! HUH?! Was that the start?!We look at each other surprised. The pack is moving and we scramble to latch on to the back. Z takes off at a run and Charlie, Chad & I walk/trot.

I am not concerned about starting toward the back of the pack. For me this is not a race. Just a long, long ride. Besides, we have a 2.5 mile climb up County Line Rd (fireroad) before we hit the single track. I should be able to pass a lot of people on that climb.

Without sending my heart rate through the roof by running I am on my bike, climbing and passing people. Up County Line Rd, there is one short steeper section but it is a middle ring climb for me all the way (big ring for an xc race).

on the bike (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

It is still grey and misty and the ground is saturated and boggy. Not as bad as my preride a week ago but still sloppy and muddy. There are large mud puddles some of which are only an inch or two deep while others have deep pits in the middle that are just waiting to grab your front wheel, throw you to the ground, and then point and laugh at your sorry butt sitting in the mud. Unfortunately, from bicycle saddle height it is impossible to tell the difference between the innocuous and the evil puddles. I tread lightly through or around all of them.

Over the top of County Line Rd and then down some fast double track to a sharp left turn that will take you backwards on Left Loop over the overlook and down. I am gaining speed as I head down the descent. I go to brake and scrub some of that speed. Um....no brakes?! Ack! Note to self: DO NOT SPRAY PAM ON DISK BRAKE ROTORS!!! I aim for every mud puddle and wet spot on the trail in hopes of getting that grease off my rotors.

After the overlook on left loop you eventually hook up with Right Loop and ride that backwards until you reach the big stump, then it is only 3 more miles (I thought it was 5 miles and often it felt like 50 miles) and 2 climbs till the finish where you get to dismount, climb over a waist height (ok, it was only waist height on me) railing and the trot through the transition to begin again.

I am having a great time!! I feel good. I am keeping my heart rate where it should be. The trail is congested with riders but it's not too bad. There are places to pass and everyone is in a good mood. The sun starts to peek through the mist and clouds. I am alone in a rare point between groups of riders. I search through my head for something to sing and the best I can come up with is the nursery school song "the itsy bitsy spider". I try to think of something else but once the spider is in there I can't get rid of the song. I catch up to more riders and we chat briefly.

The only time the congestion becomes a problem is on short steep technical climbs or creek crossings. Both of these seem to jam people up and I get caught in a clusterf--trying to get across a creek with a root on the other side. 3 riders have stacked up in the creek just as I roll up. Not wanting to step down into the creek I manage to track stand until the creek begins to clear of bodies. Just as I start to pedal forward someone comes flying past, knocking into me and I step down with a splash into the creek. "Hey!" I yell. Oh well, I hope he won whatever race he was having.

I finish my first lap in 1:18, not bad considering the course conditions and number of riders on the trail, and head out on the short section of single track that will take me back up to the pit area. I am behind Jodi (hey girl!!) who is also doing the 6 hr and in front of another girl who is doing the 12 hr (you go girl!) whose name I have since forgotten. Sorry!

Jodi, rt, unnamed 12 hr soloist (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

I feel, and look like a giant mudball but the sun is out in full force and it is beautiful.

muddy but having fun (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

I cruise through the pit area past our tent. I don't stop but I do take in a gel and as I'm searching for something to do with the wrapper, I pass Cass (who is doing pit for her husband who is doing the 12 hr solo) who holds out her hand for my wrapper. Thanks!

I continue on. Still feeling great and still singing about the itsy bitsy spider. *sigh* I chat with more people on the trail. It helps get rid of the spider for a little while.

On my 2nd lap I meet Darkwing Duck and we chat. I am having a ball. Other riders help to keep me from going to hard or too fast as well as keep me company as we ride. I can hear the mud taking it's toll on other people’s drivetrains but mine is still running smoothly. I wonder if I should clean it off after this lap. Nah, I decide, don't fix what's not broken.

My 2nd lap passes quickly and I am in the last 3 mile stretch. There is a long fast section on the part of the course that, when dry, can be done at about 20 mph. However, when wet it is curvy enough to send you flying if you hit a rock or root at just the wrong angle. I pass a few team riders - they are easy to spot now because they are so clean, solo riders look like creatures from the mud bog. A few hundred yards later I find the edge of my tire tread and go down in a curve. Just in time for the guys I just passed to catch up. they laugh to find me disentangling myself from my bike, "Oh! So you pass us just to fall down! We see how it is!" LOL! They let me hop back in front of them and we are off again.

I pass through the transition area in 1:16 for my 2nd lap. With the sun the conditions are improving, the trail is getting faster, and riders are getting more and more spread out. My plan is to stop briefly. I am starving and I need to switch out my camelbak for a full one.

As I roll up to our tent Tammy is there waiting. She is the best!!! I inhale 1/2 a pb & j while Tammy refills the bladder in the camelbak I was wearing. I don't think I will need it again since my other one is 70 oz and that should last me for another 2 laps which is probably all I will have time to do in the 6 hrs. I also pop open a Burn energy drink. Wow! That is the best thing I have ever downed during a race (Tyler, it rocked! I need another case!!). The caffine kicks up my heart rate a little bit, but between the food and the drink I am ready to go out and conquor the world....or at least ride another 2 laps. Tammy asks if she should spray down my drivetrain which more closely resembles a large clod of mud than any sort of working mechanics but I am still in 'don’t fix what ain't broke' mode and I say no. In less than 5 minutes I am refuled and refreshed and back on my bike.

I head up the long climb and pass Dave, our trusty organizer, on his motorbike.

Dave, our fearless organizer (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

I offer to trade with him but for some reason he refuses. Go figure! I continue on and begin to regret my decision not to tend to my drivetrain. With fewer mud puddles to navigate I can hear how dry the chain really is. It crunches with every pedal stroke. Ugh! My bad. As on my first lap to get rid of the pam on my rotors I begin to aim for every puddle just so I won't have to listen to my chain crunch. I keep my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that my chain doesn't explode in protest of my lousy treatment of it.

Conditions on the course are fantastic. For the most part the trail is dry but tacky. Perfect for traction. As I lean into the turns I call out "Wheeeeeee!" which makes some other people on the trail look at me a bit strangely. Not sure why? The mud holes are predictable now though some are getting treacherously deep and it is easy to bottom out your fork as you roll through some of them. I have more time riding alone on this lap than on the previous two. Mary Had a Little Lamb replaces the Itsy Bitsy Spider. Why couldn't I have something from the Offspring or the Killers or White Stripes stuck in my head? Why songs from nursery school?

My chain is crunching and squeeking an doing it's best Huffy impression. I start to talk to my bike and tell it that I will clean it as soon as the lap is over. I also begin to make a list of the things I will do when I stop after this lap: drink a bottle of endurox, eat more gel, clean the chain up, stretch....I had wanted to do another 2 laps without stopping but I am getting hungry again and my chain will explode if I don't tend to it. Also, for reasons that I can't figure out I have not yet taken off the knickers that I put on at the start when it was 20 degrees cooler. It is hot out and I am wearing tights! Why?!

Must remember to stretch when I stop. I am now 3 hrs into the race and my back doesn't hurt!!!!! Amazing!!! Well, it hurts a little but I think that stretching before the race is really helping. How happy am I that it doesn’t feel like someone is knifing me in the back? Very happy!

I creak & squeek my way through the transition and up to our pit. My 3rd lap has taken me an astoundingly consistent 1:18. Tammy-the-wonderful is right there asking what she can do to help. I set her to work spraying down the drivetrain with water while I mix endurox and take off my muddy knickers. Love the sharp line on my leg where the mud ends and the knickers used to begin. LOL!

mud knee socks....sexy!

I eat a gel and then help Tammy with my bike.

gu is good!

bike work - lube the pivots

more bike work - lube the chain

very close to my bike work!

sometimes endurox is so good you have to dance (not really sure what i was doing when this picture was taken!)

Someone from the pit next to us comes over to help as well. Many thanks!! As I work at relubing I see Tinker go past. Ah, lapped by Tinker. What an honor!

even Tinker rests sometime (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

pit view - almost ready to head out

With my bike relubed and much happier I am off for my 4th lap. My legs are getting tired now and I am wondering if I will have the energy to do another lap if I make it in before the cut off. The 6 hr race is scheduled to end at 4:00 but the cut off for going out for another lap is earlier than that. For this race the cut off will be the total time (6 hrs) minus the fastest lap time. So, for example, if the fastest lap in the 1st 6 hrs is 45 minutes then the cut off will be at 3:15 pm. I have not paid any attention to time, nor have I asked anyone when the cut off is so I am just riding. I know they will tell me whether or not I can go out again when I come through on this lap.

At about mile 42-ish my legs start to cramp. Ouch!! First it’s my calves. Note to self: do not step off the bike!! Then my right hamstring. Ow! Ow! Ow! Then my left adductor. Yeowch!! I shift around until I find a gear that keeps the cramps at bay. Where as I have spent the last 3 laps in my middle and big rings for this lap I am all over my granny gear. Without it my legs would lock up on every climb.

I feel like I am going slower but the conditions of the course have improved so it is faster. Fortunately this works in my favor and I am probably not losing too much time. As I head through one of the premanent mud bogs I pass another 6 hr solo female rider. We say hi and agree that we are ready to be done. I continue on. I catch another female rider on one of the long descents. She is keeping an excellent pace and so I sit in with her and we begin to chat. She asks if I want by and I say that I am happy where I am. She is doing this race with a team from Charlotte NC and she races Sport xc. After a bit I ask if I can pass and she hops on my wheel. We continue on. From behind me she says "You can pick up the pace a bit if you want." I begin to laugh!! I respond "This is it! I’m going as fast as my cramping legs will go. Let me know if you want by again!" She says maybe she will pass on the next descent. We hit the hike-a-bike hill and slog up. I get back on my bike and the next time I look back she is gone. Hmmm. I didn't think I got any faster. Later, after the race is over she comes up to me and we talk some more. Apparently I did have a little bit left because she says that I suddenly picked up the pace and she could no longer hold my wheel.

The last 3 miles seems to take a year. I am praying that I will not make the cut off. I know that if I do I will go out for a 5th lap and it will just be painful. I come through the transition and up to the line. Dave is sitting there and makes a slashing motion across his neck. I am done!! My last lap has taken me 1:20.

Total stats:
    5 hrs 28 minutes out on the course
    4 laps
    50 miles
    average speed 9.24 mph

I head out of the transition and off to socialize. I am cooked! My legs are thrilled to be done pedaling. But overall I think this has been the most fun race I have ever done. I had a blast.

I head down to the lake with my friend Mark and walk into the lake fully dressed including my socks and shoes. The lake feels like heaven! Then I head back up toward the tent and run into Z, Tammy, and Charlie heading down. Apparently they will be doing the awards for the 6 hr race soon. Despite my lake wet shorts I join them and Tammy says "Oh, but I don't have your camera" to which I respond, "That's ok, you won't need it! No reason to take pictures of me watching other people getting awards!"

As we walk up to where the results are posted my friend John is standing there. He sees me and says "Hey! You got 2nd!!"

WHAT?! I look up at the board and sure enough. I finished 2nd for the women’s 6 hr! (yes, there were more than 2 people. 12 to be exact!) It was just supposed to be a training ride for me. Who'd have thought! It really did take only 4 laps!

podium

Congrats to many:
    John for 1st in men's 6 hr

John (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

Z for 2nd in men's 6 hr

go off any awesome jumps with that?

Mark B for 4th in men's 6 hr
    sorry no pic

Steph for 1st in women's 6 hr

another podium shot

Liz (who was the one I passed on my last lap in the mud bog) for 3rd in women's 6 hr

yet another podium shot

Jen for 9th in women's solo 12 hr (for her first solo endurance race ever!! You rock!)

Jen - always smiling (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

Kaj for his first solo effort (12 hrs) and riding 3 times further than ever before AND finishing 3rd in the beginner solo category

Kaj (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

and
    Chad for 9th in men's expert solo 12 hr (see? I told you you'd finish).

Chad (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

Many thanks to my awesome sponsors: Titus Cycles for the most amazing bike ever; Team 180s for the shades; Outback Bikes for making sure I could ride my awesome bike; Crankbros for pedals that shed mud better than anything else out there; Manitou for the fork I am not yet riding but will be soon; and Burn energy drink for giving me that kick start on my 3rd lap. You all rock.

Thanks also to Dave and Terry for putting on another fantastic event;
    Tammy for being the best pit crew in the world

Tammy relaxing

and Steve Kaufman for letting me link to all of the amazing photos he took (check his stuff out here or email him at [email protected])

Steve's wife Tammy on her ss - she put in 6 laps during the 12 hr solo....after recent knee surgery! what a studette! (photo credit: Steve Kaufman, [email protected])

You guys all rock too!

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 05-25-2005 at 07:44 AM. Reason: updating results
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Way to go, congratulations! I agree it is against or religion to run!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Way to go, congratulations! I agree it is against or religion to run!
    LOL!

thanks merlin.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

I knew it'd come together!

Nice work 'Bec! Good work staying consistent & motivated. Looks like a well run, fun event despite some mud. Excellent results for a "training race/ride" - keep on a steady trajectory and you'll kick booty at Mammoth in September!

Got a good chuckle out of putting butter-product on YOUR DISK BRAKES! Oil + disk pads = bad.... you and that disk jinx.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Is it play time yet?
    Cool! I didn't realize Kaj was doing this race. I know him from Team In Training here in ATL. Now I'm sorry I missed it.
    -Erik

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Nice work 'Bec! Good work staying consistent & motivated. Looks like a well run, fun event despite some mud. Excellent results for a "training race/ride" - keep on a steady trajectory and you'll kick booty at Mammoth in September!

Got a good chuckle out of putting butter-product on YOUR DISK BRAKES! Oil + disk pads = bad.... you and that disk jinx.
    thanks glen!

we'll see how well it translates into a "real" race situation this weekend.

hehehehehe. yeah, pretty stupid not covering the rotors when i sprayed down the bike!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by erik99
    Cool! I didn't realize Kaj was doing this race. I know him from Team In Training here in ATL. Now I'm sorry I missed it.
    -Erik
    yeah, it was his first one....in fact, i think it may have been his first mtb race ever. he kicked butt & got 6 laps in. prior to the race his longest mtb ride was 23 miles. on sat he put in 70 miles!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

I love Pisgah
    Excellent report. I did 3 laps, the last being the night lap. I dunno if I coulda done 4.

Congrats!!!!

Duck

Disturber du Merde
    Wait a sec...your number was 187?!! They gave you the Universal Police Shorthand for...MURDER!!!

Hell, you got second...I'd insist on #187 from now on!

Way to go, kid!

BeeT's

Is it play time yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    yeah, it was his first one....in fact, i think it may have been his first mtb race ever. he kicked butt & got 6 laps in. prior to the race his longest mtb ride was 23 miles. on sat he put in 70 miles!

rt
    Wow, must be all those road miles on the knobbies.

I wished he'd said something about the race before hand. I found out where he was while riding with Ann last Saturday.

mtbr member since 1997
    Will you ever live up (or is it down?) "Pam on the disk brakes"? Man that had me laughing!

Congrats on 2nd place! It's good to see you having fun while placing on the podium for a change.

Good on ya girlfriend!
    Mary Ann

Mar 2005
    Thanks *rt*, but you're giving me waaaay too much credit! I only managed to do 5 laps (not 6), but I believe I was the only woman on a rigid SS and I think I would have been top 5 had I registered for the SS class rather than solo women, so I'm still beyond happy with that! Mucho congrats to all the women out there - they kicked serious butt!!! (Oh, and I did manage to escape knee surgery, but did have to suffer through months of physical therapy - I wonder sometime which would have been worse!!! Should be back to 100% by next season though, fingers crossed.)

Congrats to you on an awesome race - love the write-up! Sorry I didn't get to talk with you more, but there was just no way I could ride fast enough to keep up with you!

EDIT: Will I see you at Burn this coming weekend?

Nervous Descender
    Another charming and humorous first-hand account- non-racers such as myself continue to live vicariously through you! Glad you had another chance to get that new bike dirty- nice job w/ the surprise second place finish
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Excellent report. I did 3 laps, the last being the night lap. I dunno if I coulda done 4.

Congrats!!!!

Duck
    thanks jeff!

that's how i felt about doing 5 laps. just don't know if i coulda done it.....glad i didn't have to find out!!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Trent
    Wait a sec...your number was 187?!! They gave you the Universal Police Shorthand for...MURDER!!!

Hell, you got second...I'd insist on #187 from now on!

Way to go, kid!

BeeT's
    thanks BeeTs. i think they picked out that number special for me.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann
    Will you ever live up (or is it down?) "Pam on the disk brakes"? Man that had me laughing!

Congrats on 2nd place! It's good to see you having fun while placing on the podium for a change.

Good on ya girlfriend!
    Mary Ann
    LOL. i have a history with Pam....did i ever tell you how i tried to kill a roach by spraying it with pam? go figure the dam thing just flipped over on it's back in the pool of grease and kicked it's legs but wouldn't die. i thought i was spraying it with Raid.....the cans are similar colors. doh!! Note to self: do not keep Pam next to Raid in the cubbord.

thanks girl!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Another charming and humorous first-hand account- non-racers such as myself continue to live vicariously through you! Glad you had another chance to get that new bike dirty- nice job w/ the surprise second place finish
    thanks!! plenty of opportunity to get the bike dirty coming up....now if i only had my own personal mechanic to clean it after each mud bath!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by spydersmom
    Thanks *rt*, but you're giving me waaaay too much credit! I only managed to do 5 laps (not 6), but I believe I was the only woman on a rigid SS and I think I would have been top 5 had I registered for the SS class rather than solo women, so I'm still beyond happy with that! Mucho congrats to all the women out there - they kicked serious butt!!! (Oh, and I did manage to escape knee surgery, but did have to suffer through months of physical therapy - I wonder sometime which would have been worse!!! Should be back to 100% by next season though, fingers crossed.)

Congrats to you on an awesome race - love the write-up! Sorry I didn't get to talk with you more, but there was just no way I could ride fast enough to keep up with you!

EDIT: Will I see you at Burn this coming weekend?
    never enough credit for you. you did awesome.

it was great to see so many women out there. 12 in the 6 hr, 20+ in 12 hr solo, and i don't know how many on teams. really impressive!

nope, no Burn for me this weekend. i am returning to my life as an XC racer and heading up to Fontana. Are you racing the Burn? if so, good luck!!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member since 1997
    LOL. DEFINITELY do not keep them together. Oh god...think of cooking with Raid instead of Pam? Hopefully the non non-stick properties of Raid would slow you down before you ate (or worse) served it!

My family has a Pam song (related to the fact that my cousin married a very unpopular girl named Pam). "Pam you're more than a cooking spary...." You had to be there.. ;-)

Mary Ann

paintbucket
    I'm boycotting this thread. That other one too.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm boycotting this thread. That other one too.
    fine. be that way.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Good job rt.
    It was nice to have met you.

This was a training race for the 24 Hours of Big Bear. Myself and a BB teamate did a two-man team on our singlespeeds, just to make it more fun. We managed 4 laps each and I'll have to admit it was a little harder than I thought it would be.
    It was fun though. I think the singlespeed will come out for more of these events.

(My Yeti ASR is worried).
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    Good job rt.
    It was nice to have met you.

This was a training race for the 24 Hours of Big Bear. Myself and a BB teamate did a two-man team on our singlespeeds, just to make it more fun. We managed 4 laps each and I'll have to admit it was a little harder than I thought it would be.
    It was fun though. I think the singlespeed will come out for more of these events.

(My Yeti ASR is worried).
    nice job!! 4 laps on my ss would have caused my legs to fall off!

hehe, my surly is feeling surly for having been left behind last weekend!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Probably drunk right now

From the mouth of babes...

Nice hit, rt. Sarah missed you at Fruita. I on the other hand was pretty drunk and don't remember too much other than crushing some poor guy on a road bike with my hi-wheel derby machine.

Ken

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Nice hit, rt. Sarah missed you at Fruita. I on the other hand was pretty drunk and don't remember too much other than crushing some poor guy on a road bike with my hi-wheel derby machine.

Ken
    thanks Ken.

next year i hope to eat ice cream with sarah in fruita......

hmmm, drunk hi-wheel road bike crushing derby machine.....

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Probably drunk right now

Certainly a different type of ride...

thanks Ken.

next year i hope to eat ice cream with sarah in fruita......

hmmm, drunk hi-wheel road bike crushing derby machine.....

rt
    Fixed with pedals that turned with the front wheel took some getting used to. It wasn't very nimble.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Fixed with pedals that turned with the front wheel took some getting used to. It wasn't very nimble.
    LOL. i would think so!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Preemptive Revenger
    Congrats RT. Nice humorous write-up, too.

Note to self: See? It is all about having fun!
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    pictoral and narrative bliss/excellence as usual *rt*.

avg. joe

Another great post...

Sometimes when you say WTF, it takes all of the stress off and you end up doing better than expected.

Way to go on the "ride" and ending up on the podium.

Tom
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

A wheelist
    Thanks A*rEt*EA that report gave me the opportunity to be there in the race with you without me suffering the leg cramps (bin der, dun dat) and the dirty bike (certainly bin der). This is gonna be my new form of racing from now on!

I'll be able to say "Ahhhh yesss I'm entering the Georgia *rt* Vicarious 24 hr solo this weekend" and all my buddies (2 max) will go "Wow man you're some duuuude!".

How be I just flip you a coupla bucks as my part of the entry? Just make sure I get the report before I roll down to Tim Horton's coffee shop at 10am Monday mornings eh? The fellas (all 2 again) will want to know how I made out.

I'll send some WD40 so you can clean off your rotors. Sheesh! Just give them a thorough greasing after.

Your buddy and racing partner -

eMTea

PS - I see you even got Trenty to crawl out from under his rock with this report. Heck that's more of a feat than coming 2nd in yer race! Congrats.

Currently in Exile

Ah Fontana

never enough credit for you. you did awesome.

it was great to see so many women out there. 12 in the 6 hr, 20+ in 12 hr solo, and i don't know how many on teams. really impressive!

nope, no Burn for me this weekend. i am returning to my life as an XC racer and heading up to Fontana. Are you racing the Burn? if so, good luck!!

rt
    Where Tsali is all fast and swoopy, Fontana is all steep and technical. Is that one of the Cane Creek Cup Series races? I did one there a few years back and had my legs and lungs handed to me by most of the Men's Sport class. It was one of my finest DFL performances. Good luck to you at that race!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Disturber du Merde
    The Old Phart replied: "...I see you even got Trenty to crawl out from under his rock with this report. Heck that's more of a feat than coming 2nd in yer race!"

I'm here more than you'd think, Old Man! I just keep my yap shut. Maybe if I rode more I'd feel like contributing but since I seem to use my bikes to prop up the walls and not actually get them out on dirt I figure I'll let the young ones contribute and I'll just sit back and pine for the "Old Days"...

BeeT's

A wheelist
    I'm here more than you'd think, Old Man!
    Hey less o' the old man stuff. I'm on my 2nd childhood riding track - which is where I came from originally.

I just keep my yap shut.
    Jeeze that's gonna be harder than getting Trump (in your pics) to be humble!

BTW - your website B&W pics (the Waterdown selection) is truly lacking the famous Dalerider "scream" pic.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Where Tsali is all fast and swoopy, Fontana is all steep and technical. Is that one of the Cane Creek Cup Series races? I did one there a few years back and had my legs and lungs handed to me by most of the Men's Sport class. It was one of my finest DFL performances. Good luck to you at that race!
    thanks!! yup, fonana is the anti-tsali. steep, technical, and painful. the race this weekend is part of the southeast regional championship series (SERC) but they also do a cane creek series race there later in the season.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Congrats RT. Nice humorous write-up, too.

Note to self: See? It is all about having fun!
    thanks Tom.

right, i constantly have to remind myself about the fun part.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    pictoral and narrative bliss/excellence as usual *rt*.
    thanks!!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa
    Sometimes when you say WTF, it takes all of the stress off and you end up doing better than expected.

Way to go on the "ride" and ending up on the podium.

Tom
    thanks Tom.

funny how that works out, eh? no pressure and suddenly it's easy. now, if i could only figure out how to do that for XC races!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Two wheels are best
    Great Job *RT*! It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun.

I do hope, however, that you all left me enough good dirt to enjoy some...well, less racy, laid back riding this weekend!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Thanks A*rEt*EA that report gave me the opportunity to be there in the race with you without me suffering the leg cramps (bin der, dun dat) and the dirty bike (certainly bin der). This is gonna be my new form of racing from now on!

I'll be able to say "Ahhhh yesss I'm entering the Georgia *rt* Vicarious 24 hr solo this weekend" and all my buddies (2 max) will go "Wow man you're some duuuude!".

How be I just flip you a coupla bucks as my part of the entry? Just make sure I get the report before I roll down to Tim Horton's coffee shop at 10am Monday mornings eh? The fellas (all 2 again) will want to know how I made out.

I'll send some WD40 so you can clean off your rotors. Sheesh! Just give them a thorough greasing after.

Your buddy and racing partner -

eMTea

PS - I see you even got Trenty to crawl out from under his rock with this report. Heck that's more of a feat than coming 2nd in yer race! Congrats.
    cool! my own racing sponsor....will those coupla bucks be real dollars or them colorful but worthless canajian ones? gotta know so i can plan my schedule accordingly.

oh, yes, WD40 on the rotors. excellent idea. i think that will be much more efficient than Pam.

thank eMTea.

rt

ps - yep, pretty proud (and honored!) about getting BTee's to open his yap.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jul 2004
    All I can say is... WOW! Ok a little more... Way to go! I have yet to do a 6, 12, 24 hr, but it is on my list. Then again, I die in a 2 hr Sport race. Awesome ride, now if only I could smile in my pics.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by OdaNelli
    All I can say is... WOW! Ok a little more... Way to go! I have yet to do a 6, 12, 24 hr, but it is on my list. Then again, I die in a 2 hr Sport race. Awesome ride, now if only I could smile in my pics.
    i actually found the 6 hr solo to be way easier than any of the 2.5-3 hr XC races i've done. unlike in an XC race you're not going so hard that you feel like you're going to puke the entire time. you just go at a nice steady pace and it's a lot like taking a long ride rather than a race. hence how easy it is to smile. on the other hand, i don't know if this would apply to a 12 or a 24 hr solo. those just seem long & painful to me!

thanks!
    rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Great Job *RT*! It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun.

I do hope, however, that you all left me enough good dirt to enjoy some...well, less racy, laid back riding this weekend!
    i left you only the good dirt. the bad dirt i took with me attached to every part of my bike and clothes!! (well, some of it i washed off in the lake)

it was a really good time. all races should be that much fun!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    i actually found the 6 hr solo to be way easier than any of the 2.5-3 hr XC races i've done. unlike in an XC race you're not going so hard that you feel like you're going to puke the entire time. you just go at a nice steady pace and it's a lot like taking a long ride rather than a race. hence how easy it is to smile. on the other hand, i don't know if this would apply to a 12 or a 24 hr solo. those just seem long & painful to me!

thanks!
    rt
    Wha....? I thought 6 hours was short enough to go at JUST sub-puke level - silly me. Hell, I can't slow down in a duo 24 hour event! I suppose I'll have to when I solo this fall @ McDowell Park.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Wha....? I thought 6 hours was short enough to go at JUST sub-puke level - silly me. Hell, I can't slow down in a duo 24 hour event! I suppose I'll have to when I solo this fall @ McDowell Park.
    yes, but glen, you're uh...unique.

remember, level 2 is your friend.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Yummy
    A 6/12 hour race? How hard can that be? That's pretty much a sprint!!

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    A 6/12 hour race? How hard can that be? That's pretty much a sprint!!

Kn.
    LOL but it's a hellish 30 minutes.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

There's no app for this.

I don't know how you do it, *rt*

my only recollection of my 1 race (DFL) and, well, just about every ride looks like this: .

In fact, just repeat this pic 200x for the last few rides. I retain zero memory of what/where/how etc etc.

And fuel< last time I inhaled a PB was driving down (yes down) Mt. Seymour after a shuttle run on car retrieval duty, and I choked on the sandwich so well I had to pull over and coff my arse off. Craig H's bro behind me nearly ditched his car laughing.

My congrats to you and I bow to your stamina and the ability to keep it fun.

Keep em coming, and hey, refrain from fallin'.

Jim

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Surprised, but happy for you that you gave the multi-lap thing another try. Congrats on a well earned podium finish. So when is the 24 hour attempt?

Don't you love the crazy songs that get stuck in there....Doe a deer, a female deer......

Eddie O

the cool nerd

thanks!
    rt
    uh-oh

You're in soooo much trouble. Take it from me, and I know of which I type, this is just the beginning! I was a bona-fide, "I love to race", xc racer until the first Vail 100. To prepare for it I I did the Laramie 100km. longest mtb ride I had ever done and I became hooked. Now, i don't consider it worth tapering for if it isn't going to take 6 hours. Anything less than that is just a VO2 max/tempo type of training race.

Anyhoo, as usual, a spectacular race and report! Just like admitting you had fun in the 6 hour race, each report that you share raises the bar that much higher...

scott

ps, wooglin is right

pss, the praise won't be nearly so glowing when I read your x-posted report!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    my only recollection of my 1 race (DFL) and, well, just about every ride looks like this: .

In fact, just repeat this pic 200x for the last few rides. I retain zero memory of what/where/how etc etc.

And fuel< last time I inhaled a PB was driving down (yes down) Mt. Seymour after a shuttle run on car retrieval duty, and I choked on the sandwich so well I had to pull over and coff my arse off. Craig H's bro behind me nearly ditched his car laughing.

My congrats to you and I bow to your stamina and the ability to keep it fun.

Keep em coming, and hey, refrain from fallin'.

Jim
    you looked like a red X?

the truth is i just make all this sh*t up. no one else remembers either so whatever i say people just agree with. hehehehehehehe!

note to Jim: do not aspirate pb&j. it sticks to the bronchia and just wreaks havoc with the normal inhale/exhale.

thanks jim! gonna try to stay upright this weekend.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Surprised, but happy for you that you gave the multi-lap thing another try. Congrats on a well earned podium finish. So when is the 24 hour attempt?

Don't you love the crazy songs that get stuck in there....Doe a deer, a female deer......

Eddie O
    thanks. the podium finish was a complete surprise but a nice ego boost relative to my last few races. hopefully i will be able to carry it over into the next few XC events.

ha ha ha ha! don't expect to be seeing me doing a 24 hr solo......(or so i say now) can't even imagine doing 12. i think 8 would probably be my max.

ugh. didn't think of doe a deer. almost got stuck on 100 bottles of beer on the wall.

good luck with burn this weekend.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Great race report once again *rt*, but maybe next time maybe you could put a little disclaimer in the thread heading something to the effect of..."be careful reading this if you're drinking coffee, tea, juice etc as you may end up having it come through your nose due to serious probability of humor content" Didn't have any probs myself, but when I read about the PAM on the rotors I nearly fell off the chair laughing - mustn't have been a nice feeling, glad nothing bad came of it.

Especially glad to hear the "no back pain" in the report, mucho congrats on this. Was it mainly the strecthing before the race and during or have you also made some changes to the ride?

Keep the great reports coming and keep doing good. It's a nice feeling when you think you are basically spent and it tunrs out you actually still have a little more left in the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    uh-oh

You're in soooo much trouble. Take it from me, and I know of which I type, this is just the beginning! I was a bona-fide, "I love to race", xc racer until the first Vail 100. To prepare for it I I did the Laramie 100km. longest mtb ride I had ever done and I became hooked. Now, i don't consider it worth tapering for if it isn't going to take 6 hours. Anything less than that is just a VO2 max/tempo type of training race.

Anyhoo, as usual, a spectacular race and report! Just like admitting you had fun in the 6 hour race, each report that you share raises the bar that much higher...

scott

ps, wooglin is right

pss, the praise won't be nearly so glowing when I read your x-posted report!
    i fear you are right. next thing you know i'll be out there with all the nut cases on a rigid ss doing 24 hr solos. oops, did i say that out loud? but i think i'm safe for now. see, i've done a couple 50 mile mtb races as well as the off road assault on mt. mitchell and those are just hard. or at least they were just hard last year.....maybe this year will be different....and i was thinking about seeing if anyone would want to do a 12 hr duo with me.....ok, you're right i'm in big trouble now.

thanks scott.

rt

ps - probably

pps - i'll keep that in mind

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Great race report once again *rt*, but maybe next time maybe you could put a little disclaimer in the thread heading something to the effect of..."be careful reading this if you're drinking coffee, tea, juice etc as you may end up having it come through your nose due to serious probability of humor content" Didn't have any probs myself, but when I read about the PAM on the rotors I nearly fell off the chair laughing - mustn't have been a nice feeling, glad nothing bad came of it.

Especially glad to hear the "no back pain" in the report, mucho congrats on this. Was it mainly the strecthing before the race and during or have you also made some changes to the ride?

Keep the great reports coming and keep doing good. It's a nice feeling when you think you are basically spent and it tunrs out you actually still have a little more left in the tank.
    thanks LyNx!! yeah, the pam on the rotors was an inadvertent mistake - thought i'd been really careful when spraying the bike down but i guess not! even i had to laugh at myself. . it was a little um...greasy feeling.

i think the primary help for my back was the stretching that i did before the race. but i did flip my stem from -5 to +5 after that post about back pain so maybe that helped too?

thanks again. it is a really nice feeling to discover there is a bit more left for that last push.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the cool nerd
    thanks LyNx!! yeah, the pam on the rotors was an inadvertent mistake -
    rt
    so much better than them thar intentional mistakes

Jump, jump for my love

The Pointer Sisters

scott

i worship Mr T
    so much better than them thar intentional mistakes

Jump, jump for my love

The Pointer Sisters

scott
    hush!

LOL

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Mar 2005
    next thing you know i'll be out there with all the nut cases on a rigid ss doing 24 hr solos.
    You talkin' to me? Wish me luck at Burn and good luck to you at Fontana!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by spydersmom
    You talkin' to me? Wish me luck at Burn and good luck to you at Fontana!
    thanks girl!! kick @ss at Burn!! looking forward to hearing about it/seeing the pictures. you rock!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

brg
    mtbr member
    and i was thinking about seeing if anyone would want to do a 12 hr duo with me.....
    rt
    Really??? I'm looking for another woman to do the Steamboat 12hr duo with me on June 11th/12th. Around 2100 feet of climbing per 11 mile lap.

http://www.rockypeakproductions.com/...amboat%20site/

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    Really??? I'm looking for another woman to do the Steamboat 12hr duo with me on June 11th/12th. Around 2100 feet of climbing per 11 mile lap.

rt

I wouldn't think less of you if you did this one on a bike with gears

I wouldn't even heckle you at all!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by brg

bummer! i can't that weekend...

it's the one weekend in the month of june that i'm NOT racing or away from home & i've got a list as long as my arm of things that i need to get done....not the least of which is re-acquaint myself with my pets! would love to otherwise.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    rt

I wouldn't think less of you if you did this one on a bike with gears

I wouldn't even heckle you at all!
    not at all?! not even a little bit?

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the cool nerd
    I'm soooo disappointed

All of that potential, thwarted by a glass of water...

Idiot: I'm really thirsty
    Less of an Idiot with a badge: C'mon down, have some water and then we'll let ya climb back up...

zzzaaaaaappppppppppp