One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer

Late afternoon and I'm ripping through our local East Rim Ph. II trail (counter-clockwise). A big guy yells to his boy down the trail to "Just wait!" as I'm zooming by.

The kid was maybe 7 and I can see him from a good ways off. The line I'm on you can't help but catch air, even as I slowed a bit just out of extra caution near the kid. Still 2 jumps away and he's grinning ear-to-ear at me and I come into the transition and he yells "Nice jump!" so I say "Thanks" then hit the launch right next to where he was waiting and threw in a tiny move and he yells "YEAAAAAAH!!!"

I felt like I had my own cheering section. Made my day.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

@njcshreds
    I had my first ride with a dropper post. I can't believe I held out so long - it was absolutely a game changer. Made my day of riding that much better.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Went to a new location for first time (Cowles Park, Granby CT). Always cool to ride somewhere new and explore. Came upon a GIANT crawfish right beside singletrack at a brook crossing. It was over 6" long...looked more like a lobster. Way bigger than any I have ever seen. I picked it up and put it back in stream so he wouldn't get run over.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    New to me trail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My first real set of tires. Been riding on the stock ones that came with my bike all summer, the minions made a huge difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Over the last three or four weeks, Connecticut has experienced oppressive heat and humidity. Temps in the high 80s, low 90s with heat indices in the mid-to-high 90s.

Yesterday certainly wasn't humidity free, but 68 degrees at start time with a nice breeze was a treat!
    AreBee

V-Shaped Rut
    I was doing a mini epic yesterday and was leapfrogging a faster climbing group that took more breaks than me. We saw each other several times on the ride up and talked a bit, general MTBer chats. Really cool folks. They pulled off to let me descend. I almost always ride alone but it was nice to ride and talk a little bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Over the last three or four weeks, Connecticut has experienced oppressive heat and humidity. Temps in the high 80s, low 90s with heat indices in the mid-to-high 90s.

Yesterday certainly wasn't humidity free, but 68 degrees at start time with a nice breeze was a treat!
    Roger that! Welcome change
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Two things come to mind: friendly people (riders and hikers) and no poison oak

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Well, which was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Any ride that doesn't result in a "toe tag" is awesome.

mtbr member
    I didn't get mauled by a mother bear, despite her cub's best efforts to ensure that would happen. That was pretty awesome.

Bikesexual
    Ride before last, had the trail to myself. That was nice!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Two words: Perfect dirt. Iím always so amazed and pleasantly stoked when thereís just the right amount of moisture in the dirt from an overnight rain storm. That happened the other day. So good. It just makes everything "awesomer".

Last edited by KRob; 08-22-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Just being back out there after a big crash and bruising some ribs a little while back.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    3 Rides in with a new bike. Came from an old hardtail to a modern 150/150mm full sus bike. Rediscovering all my old favorite trails makes every ride awesomer!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This may sound weird but it has to do with not my last ride but my last ride in Vermont. The GF and I attended the festival at Ascutney. Awesome time by the way! It was Saturday afternoon and we were about as far away from the festival as you could get, and were almost as high up on the mountain as you could go. And then the thunder started, and shortly after that the rain started falling at a pretty good pace. It had been so long since I pedaled in a good steady rain. It came down so quickly I could not have gotten any more wet. So we did what any red-blooded mountain bike would do. Enjoy the muddy ride. The mud and rain didn't come close to taking the smile off my face. Halfway back the rain let up, but I now remember that feeling of mud hitting my face and being cleaned off by the rain. Only to happen again and again.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Professional Crastinator
    Great posts! Spot on with the theme.

-F

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Riding a late summer Front Range Colorado day. Mid week nobody but me on the trail. Some serious black clouds rolling my way. Otherwise a perfect weather riding day. I took the chance of getting my ride in before the heavens burst open. A short 6 mile out and back. Watching the sky the whole time and mostly climbing. I rode out to where I felt I needed to turn back in order to get back without getting wet. After turning around and the ride back mostly downhill it started raining about a mile in on my return. It continued to rain my entire ride back. The dirt became like Velcro and my downhill tempo perfect. Made it back to the trailhead with a giant grin and a bit wet. The timing was such that there wasnít enough moisture to scar the trail but just enough to make the soil perfect.

Timing=awesomer.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Nutrailer
    Wearing the right gear for a wet breezy moorland ride and finally remembering to take a small flask of coffee. Then sitting warm and dry in the shelter of a wall after a long climb getting my breath back and enjoying the brew.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-dsc_0014.jpg  

Last edited by JackWare; 08-21-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Sorry that's two things ;)
    What a perfect waste of time

powered by peanut butter.
    My last ride: skipped church (win) and had free babysitter (win!) and PR'd a loop I hadn't ridden in well over a year by 15 mins (win!!) and found decent brisket on the way home (win!!!).
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

2x is underrated
    I finally get up this one 1050 foot mountain, never to the top before, but it's foggy so the pictures kinda sucked.

Back down was so steep on gravel that my fingers still hurt today from yanking on the hydraulic brakes. I could smell the hot mineral oil. I'll buy some full-fingered motorcycle gloves for mountains. Mountains are different than hills lol.

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-1534820506981.jpgOne Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-1534819038605.jpgOne Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-1534818710825.jpg
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

mtbr member
    Today's ride, in addition to having "hero dirt" thanks to rain all last night, presented me with a unique opportunity.

At the top of the grueling climb, had I the notion to do it, it would have been possible to pee on a wedge shaped rock. Urine that went left would have ended up in the Atlantic Ocean. Urine that went right would have gone to the Pacific.

If I wasn't so mature, I wouldn't have passed up this golden opportunity.

mtbr member
    Not having ridden mtb in the past few weeks.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hero dirt, nice and tacky. MA guy here, Monday saw lower temps and much less humidity. Nice. Met up for the faster group ride. Hammer pace on the fat bike worked well. A great group of 7 of us, plus I had some cold ipa's in the car. Ok, that was like 6 things, all good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No technical climbing on a bunch of wet roots <= my nemesis.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    took a colleague out for his first time on dirt. Result: add one more to the passion.
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Finally having a ride where I did not have to change anything on the new bike. It typically takes me a bit to get the fitment and adjustments down. Last ride was the first where everything felt right and nothing need to be adjusted.

Had not used a DPX2 shock or any with a can on it before and had trouble adjusting it. its so smooth over small bumps it was throwing my feeling off. Ended up having to session some more technical sections to get it where it wanted.

mtbr member
    On Monday I was riding Vedder Mountain in BC with my son. We ended up getting onto a black diamond (BC black) trail on the way down which was actually relatively easy and fun until towards the end when it just plummeted down some rocks. I nailed the drop down the slope and my son kept right up with dad.

I'm beyond impressed with how well he can ride now. I don't see any need to keep him on blues anymore.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    First workday morning ride in a long time, thanks to the first week of kindergarten.

Snow Dog
    haven't ridden since July 4th week/weekend, so this weekends ride is going to be awesomer just by default. I am dreading the legs that show up though....
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My 12-year-old daughter texted me yesterday at about 2:30 pm: ďMom, can can you come home a little early so we can go for a bike ride?Ē I was done for the day, so half an hour later we were in the woods. She wonít want to hang with her mom forever, so Iíll take it when I can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have had really good experiences will sharing the trails with runners and other bikes. If you communicate with other people on the trail and slow down some when needed these interactions go really well. I also love seeing parents with their younger kid riding mountain biking trails, the next generation in training!

No known cure
    On a trail that I ride daily, there's a tree that a bear uses to rub himself on. There's bits of fur stuck in the sugar pine's sap and bark. Today the bear had made it's mark on the tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-img_20180712_172114454.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Went on a gravel ride for the first time ever...

Itís a different world, navigating rough roads with soft dirt patches, 3/4Ē gravel and washboards on a bike with no suspension and 40c tires. Try to add speed, and it becomes even more challenging. I do believe Iím gonna enjoy this...

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-243c3a38-8257-4018-bdd3-9d8fe5c6b0d2.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Co Springs
    Good Topic Fleas !!

Last two rides ---
    SUNDAY - Nice terrain and peaceful beauty up by Mt Herman on some new-to-me trails with a buddy. First r.e.a.l. ride as tubless but-
    Mostly the feeling of honoring a trail builder and well -known guy who lost his life almost a year ago up there and still an unsolved crime. ** Today's paper had a story of more investigation in that area so I'm thrilled to see a chance where clues or new information might offer some resolution.

WEDNESDAY - 78 year old riding friend on his new bike / first ride coming from a Kona 26'r x 1.95 now on a Marin Pine Mtn Plusser. His ride passion re-booted !!
    Comfort, control, traction, ride, hydr dic brakes and the 1x gearing,,,, he's nuts about it including the frame geo that fits him better.

If I were in bike sales, bringing this level of customer experience would be my goal for the young, ancient, experienced or new to bikes.

I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    Ö but some won't get it .

since 4/10/2009
    A lot of things.

Haven't ridden much this summer because of work.
    Rode a new-to-me trail (Kitsuma).
    Warm, but not too warm temps.
    Dirt was fairly tacky.
    VERY few people on it.
    Rode with my wife and a friend who rides our same pace
    Satisfyingly difficult switchbacky climb.
    Fun downhill.
    Stopped for beer after (Pisgah Brewing)

slow
    19 friends
    Full moon
    Nearly deserted gravel road climbing up to 12,200'

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-0824182137.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My 7 year old son came with me on a trail. He rode his trek mt200. His first venture into mb. He's slowly getting the hang of gears. But to watch him do a little pump track and have fun was the best part, other than spending some time with my little guy out in the woods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wheel upgrades and dropper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Teaching my son how to corner

slow
    Blue skies
    14 miles of singletrack
    1200' of elevation gain
    19 friends
    18 bikes that were 25 years old or older

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-0902181429a.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6280 View Post
    Teaching my son how to corner

You should probably teach him how to keep his feet on the pedals!

It's beyond awesome to ride with your kids. Mine can dust me on fast downhill now.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I took my son and my girlfriend out on a ride at a trail that I usually do on my own or with my friends.. itís nothing too crazy or technical but there are sections that are a challenge for less experienced riders that have never been to this trail. After the first tech section started my son was about to call it quits and my girlfriend was agreeing that we should have just gone to the place I always take them! I helped them through and kept giving them little tips and they made it which made it so they were ok to keep going of course.. the part that made the ride was when we got to the next section that was tough they started coaching each other and pushing each other and when they made it they both had these big smiles and asked if there were more ďfunĒ places on the trail we would get to! After the ride they asked if I go to other places like that and then said they want to go there again and they canít wait to get back out there again! Then my son was cleaning up his bike and talking about the ride for the rest of the day.. I think they found their passion and thatís a great thing to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay930 View Post
    I took my son and my girlfriend out on a ride at a trail that I usually do on my own or with my friends.. itís nothing too crazy or technical but there are sections that are a challenge for less experienced riders that have never been to this trail. After the first tech section started my son was about to call it quits and my girlfriend was agreeing that we should have just gone to the place I always take them! I helped them through and kept giving them little tips and they made it which made it so they were ok to keep going of course.. the part that made the ride was when we got to the next section that was tough they started coaching each other and pushing each other and when they made it they both had these big smiles and asked if there were more ďfunĒ places on the trail we would get to! After the ride they asked if I go to other places like that and then said they want to go there again and they canít wait to get back out there again! Then my son was cleaning up his bike and talking about the ride for the rest of the day.. I think they found their passion and thatís a great thing to me!!

Thatís what itís all about.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Local ride of about 25 miles on the Salsa Warbird.

Rough pavement, gravel roads, and singletrack.

Had a long climb to get out of the canyon, loose dirt and gravel. Dropped it in the lowest gear and just started pedaling... my goal being to make it as far up the climb as possible as quickly as possible before running out of gas. To my surprise, I motored up that hill like a billy goat on crack, crested the rim of the canyon slightly winded, and had time to stop and wait for my buddy who was photographing things...

The crazy guy on the bike is me-

One Thing That Made Your Last Ride Awesomer-c1385453-27d6-4a1b-a24a-cfe72ce8d405.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    To make a long story short...the wife said she needed a few things from the store. I didn't have the chance to ride yet so I decided to jump on the bike and make the 9 mile round trip into town. When I pulled into the parking lot a small child says to his mom...."See mommy that man rides his bike to the store , why can't I?"

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Local ride of about 25 miles on the Salsa Warbird.

Rough pavement, gravel roads, and singletrack.

Had a long climb to get out of the canyon, loose dirt and gravel. Dropped it in the lowest gear and just started pedaling... my goal being to make it as far up the climb as possible as quickly as possible before running out of gas. To my surprise, I motored up that hill like a billy goat on crack, crested the rim of the canyon slightly winded, and had time to stop and wait for my buddy who was photographing things...

The crazy guy on the bike is me-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1385453-27D6-4A1B-A24A-CFE72CE8D405.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	1215264
    I love days/rides like that where your body and mind just sort of come together and get things done! It is a rare occurrence for me...especially with climbs, but sometimes it happens. That is the gold ring for sure. Keeps me/us all coming back
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Bikesexual
    It wasn't mtb but it was my first bike tour, it was so great traveling by bike!

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    It wasn't mtb but it was my first bike tour, it was so great traveling by bike!

Awesome, we were wondering if you made it back safe. Is that San Onofre?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Awesome, we were wondering if you made it back safe. Is that San Onofre?
    Thanks! That's the bike path from Ventura to Ojai. Not sure of this exact location. I posted a few pix in the did you ride today thread.

Had an awesome weekend.

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Professional Crastinator
    I guess you could say I facilitated a much-needed ride for a buddy who was really looking forward to a ride. We turned what had started out as a cancelled singletrack event due to rain, into a really fun and muddy rail trail ride that became a sunny Fall day at the peak of foliage.
    ...and the figurative "high point" of the ride was the literal low point of the ride: Negotiating a riverside trail section with water well above the axles - pedals slapping the water like paddle wheels.

-F

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yesterday, on "Leave of Absence" in Squamish, there was a short little bumpy rock roll that I've done before, but slower. Yesterday, I rolled up to it and with quite a bit more speed, pounded through it. It felt really good! Amazing what can happen when you let the bike do its thing!