The old stick in the spokes trick... by accident- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The old stick in the spokes trick... by accident

An awesome ride cut short tonight. First time Iíve seen this. Somehow I managed to run over a stick on the trail and it got stuck in my spokes so perfectly. I was cruising pretty good right along the edge of the water. Damn near sent me in the water. It was a lonely 4 mile walk back to the truck. Pretty much broke every nipple halfway around the wheel.

The old stick in the spokes trick... by accident-3dbe6641-eeef-4425-861f-3e71c6329e16.jpgThe old stick in the spokes trick... by accident-2abd51e3-4e9d-44f0-b70d-042a83f36a5d.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn...that's impressive! Sticks everywhere on New England trails right now. I'm sorta riding paranoid because I trashed GX12 Eagle on 5th ride on my new Kona. Since replacing it I've come close to cleaning things out again a number of times in the last few rides.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

since 4/10/2009
    tons of sticks in Pisgah, too. We had a windy winter with a whole bunch of new blowdowns. Most have been cleared, but there's lots of little debris everywhere. I've never seen a stick do that much carnage to a wheel. the most damage done to my personal bike from a stick has been a single spoke. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

mtbr member
    impressive, but not in a good way.

mtbr member
    Yeah itís a total rebuild. The wheels came stock on my orbea occam new as of September. They have been rock solid and really stiff. From first inspection, the nipples (brass) all broke inside the wheel and didnít not pull through or crack the wheel. My buddy and also the owner of the shop was with me and took the wheel with him to get it fixed up. Heís always sure to get me up and running in no time. I couldnít even be mad, it was just really unlucky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    tons of sticks in Pisgah, too. We had a windy winter with a whole bunch of new blowdowns. Most have been cleared, but there's lots of little debris everywhere. I've never seen a stick do that much carnage to a wheel. the most damage done to my personal bike from a stick has been a single spoke. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
    Iím heading to Asheville June 3-10. Myself and the guys going with are all first timers at pisgah. Any trails that we HAVE to ride or is it all good? Also doing DuPont.

Pinehurst NC
    Trailforks for Pisgah and DuPont! Epic places
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Man, talk about talented, in a bad way I've seen sticks in wheels, but normally you don't see more than 1 or 2 spokes busted Good new sis, that's 1 out the way, just wait for the other 2 things to happen now, although that could possibly count as 2
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I had a 2x4 get stuck in my front wheel. Just came off the trail and was rolling down a leaf covered hill back to the parking lot when all of a sudden I was airborne and going head first toward a concrete slab.

Didn't break a single spoke, but sliding on the concrete wasn't fun

mtbr member
    Sticks are dangerous and should not be allowed on trails.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Last fall I had a stick break off (not pull out) a valve stem. But holy cow, all of those spokes!!! That is amazing!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    Iím heading to Asheville June 3-10. Myself and the guys going with are all first timers at pisgah. Any trails that we HAVE to ride or is it all good? Also doing DuPont.
    Depends on your skill level. There are some super rad, gnarly downhills and some cool backcountry stuff.

But different parts of the forest are better suited to different sorts of riders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Sticks are dangerous and should not be allowed on trails.
    Time to go sanitize!

OP, that sucks. But wow! We need a pic of that stick to put up on the "most wanted" boards so we know which one to look out for.

mtbr member
    WOW, lots of sticks all over on my trails. How thick was the stick that did all of this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Depends on your skill level. There are some super rad, gnarly downhills and some cool backcountry stuff.

But different parts of the forest are better suited to different sorts of riders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    We will do all types of riding Iím sure. I like technical terrain and like climbing better then descending (although, I love it all). The other guys are the opposite. They like gnarly downhills. I believe there is slick rock at DuPont? If so thatís a must for me. Looks like a blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    WOW, lots of sticks all over on my trails. How thick was the stick that did all of this?
    After I threw the stick in the woods I thought, should have snapped a picture. But Iíd say 1Ē in diameter and it was pretty green. Wasnít like a soft piece of dead wood

mtbr member
    Oh if that would have been my front wheel I would have been swimming for sure. The exact spot where it happened is literally and 2í wide trail and the left edge is 1í drop to edge of water. And it was around a right hand turn. Fortunately the back tire locked up at some point and just skidded to a stop

Barely in control
    Unfortunate. What do you weigh?

I've had a stick in the rear spokes and skidded to a stop. Had a bent Sapim Race but was still able to ride.

Got a stick in the front spokes one time on a descent, never been airborne so quickly and cleanly.

mtbr member
    I spent a week in AVL last summer and did Pisgah and Dupont. I had a tour guide (brother in law) who lead me around. I'm used to NE singletrack...I would say it was a bit less boney and faster with longer hills (up and down!)...Big fun.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Unfortunate. What do you weigh?

I've had a stick in the rear spokes and skidded to a stop. Had a bent Sapim Race but was still able to ride.

Got a stick in the front spokes one time on a descent, never been airborne so quickly and cleanly.
    260lbs. With gear. Iím sure that has a lot to do with it. 😂

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Aw, man. That really sucks. Never done that one before! I have had sticks trash my RD twice, but not a whole wheel.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    260lbs. With gear. Iím sure that has a lot to do with it. 
    I used to build wheels with the thought that the spokes needed to be heavy enough to grind up anything that gets in them. But I'm ~185# - not 260#! Now I kinda feel sorry for all your wheels.

Sorry about your luck. Hopefully you have some good on the way.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I bet that sounded awesome!!!

mtbr member
    I've had sticks break a spoke before, but not on half the wheel! Dang man. Hopefully the rim is okay, looks like the spokes were pulled out rather than snapped. Yikes!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I've had sticks break a spoke before, but not on half the wheel! Dang man. Hopefully the rim is okay, looks like the spokes were pulled out rather than snapped. Yikes!
    Yep, same here. Iíve never seen that much spoke damage from a stick. Iíve had a stick take out a rear derailleur and a couple of spokes with it but never what the OP posted. And I think youíre right about the spokes being ripped out. If thatís the case the rim is toast, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ...looks like the spokes were pulled out rather than snapped. Yikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    ..And I think youíre right about the spokes being ripped out. If thatís the case the rim is toast, no?
    you can clearly see that all the nipples have the heads sheared off (just as he stated in post 5)

Magically Delicious
    Pretty impressive indeed! I've never seen that many broken spokes on an otherwise still round wheel.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X