OK ... wrote my North Shore letter -- Mtbr.com
    Your Customer Sales Rep

OK ... wrote my North Shore letter -

Where is yours?

"I am writing this letter to express my support for the continuation of mountain biking as a recreational activity in the District, especially on Mt Fromme but as well as the GVRD lands in the Lynne Valley as well as District lands on and around Mt. Seymour.

I have attended some open houses and forums/workshops related to Mountain View Park and parking conflicts on Mt Fromme. I am very impressed by efforts of the District staff. With regards to Mountain View Park, I don’t think anybody disagrees that the pond needs to be protected. I also support multi-user access to the park, with trail routing and signage that directs cyclists directly out of the park, away from the pond. The trail holds little interest to mountain bikers, except as a means to get from the lower trails on Mt Fromme to McNair. The current haphazard network of trails should be pared down to one or two properly-defined, well-drained trails that keep all users from the most sensitive parts of the park.

I have been mountain biking on Mount Fromme and the North Shore since 1993 when I used to live in Vancouver. I spent so much time riding on the North Shore that I eventually moved my family and myself permanently to North Vancouver.

The biking trails of the North Shore are community treasure. The challenging terrain and dedicated, skillful and passionate trailbuilders have created the crucible that has forged World Champions and Olympic Medalists in the sport of mountain biking. It has provided a healthy, athletic outdoor pursuit for our youth. Much of the reason for this is the relative accessibility of the trails to riders and the unpaid community volunteers who maintain and repair them. The NSMBA has demonstrated that mountain biking trails are safe and sustainable if constructed and maintained using proper techniques. What is needed is a coordinated effort and dialogue to ensure that these activities are appropriately planned and supervised.

The North Shore trails are not just a magnet for local riders but also for from across Canada, the US and the world. Many of these riders return to Regina, Sacramento, Raleigh, Munich and Birmingham awed by their experience and set about building “North Shores” or North Shore style-trails in their own backyards. Bicycle manufacturers have appropriated the label “North Shore Proven” as a hallmark of product excellence. Richard Juryn ([email protected]) estimates that mountain biking directly contributes $25 million to the North Shore’s economy.

Pushing mountain biking into marginal areas is not a solution. Firstly, it removes easy the access that is the root the popularity of this recreational activity. Secondly, anyone who lives in a fast-growing community like ours knows that today’s marginal areas are tomorrow’s subdividisions. This is a complete avoidance of the issue and merely a postponement of more conflict to come.

I live on the xxxx block of Deep Cove Road. Every day hundreds (and in the summer, thousands) of people descend on the Cove. Yes, they park in front of my house, yes some are noisy, yes, some are inconsiderate, yes some litter. There are, however, parking spots, washrooms, change rooms, lifeguards, garbage bins and other facilities for their benefit. These facilities soften the impact of the hordes who descend on my neighbourhood for recreation. Substitue the word “the Cove” with “Mount Fromme” and perhaps you will see my point. I would say Deep Cove is still a livable community. Popularity and livability are not mutually exclusive.

I believe that the popularity of the North Shore trails needs to be addressed head on. We need to have dialogue and address how to balance the needs of those who those who come to visit Mount Fromme and those who have chosen to live there. Whether it is by installing facilities or controlling traffic and user access or other means, remains to be seen. I think it would be sadly ironic if the popularity of mountain biking on Mount Fromme was its own death knell. We need seize this unique challenge of growing and cultivating this wonderful gift while accommodating the needs of local residents. The valuable lessons we learn from this will be felt on the North Shore for years to come. "
    You be you. I'll be riding.

beer thief
    Where do you send them? I'd be glad to write - I have no desire to travel 3000 miles only to find that some idiot named Crist has closed down access. Would that make us the anti-Crist?

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Where do you send them? I'd be glad to write - I have no desire to travel 3000 miles only to find that some idiot named Crist has closed down access. Would that make us the anti-Crist?
    Here - being tactful, and respectful, and not putting the word V-I-A-G-R-A in your subject line helps:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Yummy
    Excellent letter Duncan. A few proofreader's comments:

1. When writing to the District about District lands, be sure to spell the name properly. Lynn Valley doesn't have an extra 'e' in Lynn(e).

2. I think you interposed some words in a sentence in paragraph 6. "it removes easy the access that is the root the popularity of this recreational activity" should probably read "it removes the easy access that is the root of the popularity of this recreational activity"

I have to sit down and write my letter, too. Since I don't live on the NS, I'll have to mention that their decision on this matter may well affect my future choice on where to purchase ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Jan 2004
    Yep, it's a very good letter.

Just one suggestion: In the highly persuasive paragraph#7, I would suggest clarifying the comparison of cyclists on Fromme to tourists in Deep Cove with the following edit: 'Every day hundreds (and in the summer, thousands) of non-cycling visitors descend on the Cove. ' I would suggest that you refrain from labelling them with the somewhat derogatory term 'hordes,' as well to avoid stirring up a pi$$ing match. You could to use your clout as a taxpaying local constituent to demostrate the North Shore's welcoming attitude in such as way as to promote a 'welcoming' attitude of not only non-cycling visitors, but of visiting Shore riders by associated side effect. This is a minor note, and only in my humble opinion. Your letter works very well regardless.

I'm looking forward to a good resolution to the NIMBY confrontation on the Shore and endorse your endeavour wholeheartedly. Might even come over next week for a ride with some Okanogan buddies (I'm in Victoria).

There's no app for this.

It's my parky and I'll

ride if I want to, ride if I want to blah blah blah etc etc. hmn hmn hmn....

I think the stage is set for a successful outcome. Cooler heads will prevail. I got this today from another closely involved person; I'm very encouraged....

Dear Mr. Christ, (sic) (also ahahahaha )

I have read with interest the various letters and emails regarding Mountain View Park and access to Mt. Fromme.

It appears to me that your view ignores the public consultation process carried out by the district and, instead, supports the view of a vocal minority.

Yours truly,

XXXXXXXXX.

Thanks everyone for your support, it's not gone unnoticed, I've ordered a case of wine for each of you. Please have your VISA card ready....
    Jim

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockee
    Yep, it's a very good letter.

I would suggest that you refrain from labelling them with the somewhat derogatory term 'hordes,' as well to avoid stirring up a pi$$ing match.
    Hey man, as a local resident , property owner and taxpayer, I reserve the right to call these "outsider-aliens" whatever names I choose. And Ernie Crist would back me up on this one. :-). D.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Excellent letter Duncan. A few proofreader's comments:

1. When writing to the District about District lands, be sure to spell the name properly. Lynn Valley doesn't have an extra 'e' in Lynn(e).

2. I think you interposed some words in a sentence in paragraph 6. "it removes easy the access that is the root the popularity of this recreational activity" should probably read "it removes the easy access that is the root of the popularity of this recreational activity"

Kn.
    Well excuuuuuuuuussseeeeee meeee. Who died and made you sp? I blame my stupid American English spell-checker, which doesn't have "Lynn Valley" in its dictionary. D.

Jan 2004

subdividision?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    Well excuuuuuuuuussseeeeee meeee. Who died and made you sp? I blame my stupid American English spell-checker, which doesn't have "Lynn Valley" in its dictionary. D.
    But doesn't it have "subdivision"?

A very good rule of letter-writing is to make sure everything is spelled correctly. You'll get your point across much more effectively and the reader won't be distracted by the poor spelling/grammar, and (heavens forbid) think you're an idiot.

We're not trying to be smart-a$$es - just helpful! Take it as such and don't be so sensitive.