mtbr member

Not half bad.....Spring Road Trip with my Son

Half really, really good in fact.

My daughter was expecting our second grandbaby last week (which was my son's spring break too) and my wife was going to be spending the week with her helping out with the new baby.

My job was to take my twelve-year-old son on a Spring Break trip. We planned out a 1500 mile road trip which roughly circumnavigated Lake Powell in Southern Utah. We planned on doing some, hiking, biking, museum-going, camping, and just generally hanging out for the week.

I had some stops planned but we were going to keep the itinerary flexable and just see where the road took us.

First stop Moab:

It looked like rain for Monday night when we arrived in Moab so rather than get all our camping stuff soaked on the first night we opted for a cabin at Archview Campground. It's ten miles out of town but close to two of the things we planned to do that day so worked out good.

Dead Horse Point State Park
    DSC00679

DSC00678

Fun little trail around the rim was just right.
    DSC00675

DSC00676

I've found that lots of breaks with plenty of goodies is the best way to keep him going on rides. Like the carrot out in front of the horse. Jerky and Clif Bloks are his favorite.
    DSC00677

DSC00670

It was pouring when we passed the upper turnoff to Gemini Bridges
    DSC00696

....so we went here first. He thought these guys were a bit spooky but really cool.
    DSC00685

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 006

By time we scrambled down off the cliff's edge the weather was clearing so I asked him if he wanted to drive back up and see Gemini Bridges. "Whatever makes you happy, Dad." Wait, who are you and what have you done with my son?

The late after noon lighting here was really good.
    Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 016

It's really hard to get a photo of Gemini Bridges from above but it is a pretty impressive sight when you're there. He's freaked by big cliffs and exposure but loved this spot.
    DSC00693

After roasting some hotdogs over a fire and getting a good (dry) night's sleep at the cabin we awoke to clear, breezy, and cool temps so we decided a drive through Arches NP would be first up.

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 022

You know, I've been to Moab a dozen times over the past 6-8 years but I've been so focused on getting my mtb chunk fix that I just never made the time to go to Arches. Just more red cliffs, right? Wrong. It's like Moab on steroids. Really, really impressive.

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 024

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 025

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 030

DSC00701

I proposed to my wife from this spot 28 years ago.

DSC00702

After Double arch we went on a little hike
    DSC00707

Saw some more arches along the way (they are literally every where in...um... Arches )
    DSC00708

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 035

More hiking
    DSC00709

But this is the masterpiece. Someone once told me that I needed to see Delicate Arch in person to really appreciate it. Wow. It's one of those takes-your-breath-away experiences. Really spectacular. If you haven't been. Go.
    DSC00714

Photos do not do it justice. Especially with my cheap little point and shoot.
    DSC00710

DSC00712

We'd planned on doing a bit of the Slick Rock Trail that afternoon but it was getting very windy and Seth was feeling a little bunk so we checked out some shops in town then headed up the river to Fruita. That's a fun drive that I'd never taken before.

Wednesday morning my granddaughter Mia Linda was born! 7lbs 11oz Wo Hoo!....Seth was feeling a bit more piqued so we went off to explore the Dinosaur museum next to our hotel (It was raining/snowing and cold in Fruita so we opted for non-camping accommodations again).

By then the weather had cleared and warmed (very slightly) and Seth was feeling a bit better but a couple of shuttles down Kessel Run was about all he could muster. He still thought it was pretty cool and felt bad that he wasn't feeling well enough to take a shot at the "twelve parsecs" record.

DSC00716

DSC00719

This trail is a screaming buff flowfest..... I mean, just look at those wiggles.
    DSC00718

DSC00717
    Last edited by KRob; 05-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    We took off along the old highway out of Fruita and bypassed Colorado National Monument. Prolly shoulda driven through but with clouds hanging over the Uncompahgre Mountains towards Ouray I figured we'd better keep moving if we were going to make Durango before it got too dark.

We literally drove from Spring back into Winter as we ascended the pass out of Ouray. I love these kinds of roads. It makes connecting the dots on road trips so much more interesting.
    DSC00721

Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 049

DSC00723

Someone got some first tracks. I think these mountains had about 2-3 feet of new snow.
    DSC00724

He thought this old half-track was really cool... but thought Silverton was kinda creepy.
    DSC00727

Near the pass... one of them anyway.
    DSC00728

We descended back into Spring in Durango with (tentative) plans for some Telegraph Trails Thursday morning with Mesa Verde and Phil's World on the agenda for the afternoon..... but Seth woke up one sick puppy with a fever and throwing up so we stayed put until I got him nursed back to shape well enough to drive. My wife and daughter didn't want a sick boy around the new baby back in Provo so we just made a beeline for home.

Eight hours later we made it with no major problems. Glad to be home where he could just rest and get well but sad to miss the end leg of our trip. We missed Durango trails, Mesa Verde, Phil's World, The Grand Canyon, and Bryce/Thunder Mountain. Seth felt really bad we had to bail but it will give us a reason to come back next year.

Peace (At least I'm pretty sure that's not some gang sign)
    Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 001

It was really tough passing right on through Moab on our way home. It was the best day of the week weather-wise. Temps around 70 with clear blue skies. Sigh. It'll still be there next time though.
    Spring Trip 2011 Seth's Camera 065

So in the end it was a great first half of the trip.... and not-so-great last half. Not half bad.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-02-2011 at 10:38 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome pics and story!!

Primative Screwhead
    Thanks, that post made my morning. You and your son are legends.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you look!"

mtbr member
    Looks like some great quality time, thanks for posting.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

Powered by ice cream.
    Killer road trip! Great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Great thing to do with your son. Good work.

RHRF!

Nice!

Memories to last a lifetime!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    it'll be interesting to see who has the more fondest memories in the future. whoever, ya gotta feel great about the trip, now & forever. i'm looking forward to similar vacations w/ my girlfriends grandaughter in the future
    breezy shade

It's a slugfest!
    Cool pics Krob! Love the father/son get-aways. I'm impressed with all the varied hand signs in those pictures....(I never know what to do with my hands ....)

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Currently in Exile
    Always good to make memories with the kids. Too bad about the illness.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    tremendous photos!

lotta fun riding with your son/daughter. my son is 14 now and he can really fly on his bike...hard to believe it was just a few years ago I was waiting for him every 200 yards.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Your photographs are fantastic & you'll both always have great memories of this trip but may it be the first of many great trips to come! Looks like your son had more more and more fun with the picture taking thing as the trip went on. He also looks like he is on the cusp of the first adolescent growth spurt that will require a bigger bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey, your son looks gnarlier than you! I didn't recognize you without a helmet.

Arches is the real deal. Totally mindblowing, even if you've been all through Utah. And 128 up to Cisco is a classic. Great you had that kind of time with your son.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Lots of passion there KRob.... I'm sure your son will have memories to last a lifetime on that trip.

Tossin the salad.
    Awesome trip!!
    Kid trips are always fun!

Also congrats on the newborn.
    Last edited by TX_Shifter; 05-18-2011 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Hey, your son looks gnarlier than you! I didn't recognize you without a helmet.
    Yeah, without my helmet and gear I'm just your average, balding, middle-aged grandpa.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-18-2011 at 10:37 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Lots of passion there KRob.... I'm sure your son will have memories to last a lifetime on that trip.
    I took a similar trip to Moab with my older son when he was about 15 except instead of hiking and biking we did motos and bikes. We were visiting him just before Seth and I left on this trip and he told me that trip we took when he was a teen was one of his favorite childhood memories. Before then he'd never said much about it so I was encouraged to hear that. I'm hoping Seth will think so too..... well all except the getting sick part.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    it'll be interesting to see who has the more fondest memories in the future. whoever, ya gotta feel great about the trip, now & forever.
    You know, as much as I love the chunk and technical challenges that I normally crave on my solo bike trips, this one was special on a whole other level.

Just putting along behind him on easy trails hearing his reactions to cool trails and awesome sites, seeing him discover the fun of mtbing and the beauty and wonder of Southern Utah, and just spending one-on-one time with him was golden.

It's funny the things they remember and talk about when asked by others how the trip went. One of the things he always talks about (laughing) is how he had to fix me some hot chocolate and serve it too me the first morning in the cabin before I'd get out of bed.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    I'm impressed with all the varied hand signs in those pictures....(I never know what to do with my hands ....)

-SS

Neither does he, apparently.
    Goof ball. LOL

You should see us going through the thousand proofs from a family picture shoot. Fully 2/3 of them have to be thrown out because he's making some silly face or pseudo-gang sign with his hands. D'oh.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug
    He also looks like he is on the cusp of the first adolescent growth spurt that will require a bigger bike!
    That's why I've been holding off doing too much to this bike. He's still pretty comfortable on it even though it is getting a bit small.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd seen a XS Titus RX in the classifieds that was well set up for $1400 (and only 21lbs which is a good 10 lbs lighter than his current 24inch Spec Hot Rock!) that I about jumped on for him..... but if he grows as much in the next two years as he has in the last two he'll be too big for it before we get our money's worth out of it. I think a small 26er will be his next ride (although he's hoping it will be a motorcycle).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    tremendous photos!
    Thanks, but I can't take credit for all of them. Seth was armed with my old camera and took quite of few of those. He has a pretty good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    lotta fun riding with your son/daughter. my son is 14 now and he can really fly on his bike...hard to believe it was just a few years ago I was waiting for him every 200 yards.
    That's cool. I really hope my son will keep up riding and I'll see the day when he can leave me in the dust.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Great pics of the terrain, enjoyed them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for sharing your pics. That will stay with him for a lifetime, nice job Dad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yeah, without my helmet and gear I'm just you're average, balding, middle-aged grandpa.
    Yeah, grandpa on steroids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Whenever I'm out in Utah at some scenic spot and a family hikes by with little ones I make a point to say to the kids "you're lucky you have parents that will bring you to places like this".

Digital Toast
    I love that area. For 12 years my parents took us to Lake Powell. Such a memorable time. I now have three son's and a daughter. My youngest two go with me everywhere. It's my hope to get back to the Lake Powell area and do some biking. Great photo's.

However...the bikes do look a little small on the rack on the Jeep.

Team Fearless Descender
    KR,

Can I be your kid?
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    It looked like rain for Monday night when we arrived in Moab so rather than get all our camping stuff soaked on the first night we opted for a cabin at Archview Campground. It's ten miles out of town but close to two of the things we planned to do that day so worked out good.
    Thanks for the tip. We just reserved a cabin for the first part of next week. All the campsites at Dead Horse Point State Park were already taken.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow!!! Posts like this give me much joy and happiness- sounds like you and your son had a wonderful trip! Congrats!! (Can I go next time?!?!?!)

Members who have read this thread: 0