Nostalgia Time Here - Early 80s- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

Nostalgia Time Here - Early 80s

It's a little crazy that my daughter is now attending my old high school. I've been back there a couple times since graduation, but now that I go there frequently some of that nostalgia is coming back. And it's not just the school. The trails that we used to ride in the early 80's are across the road at the end of the block. It has since become a city nature preserve and there is a sanctioned MTB trail there - in addition to a lot of the old-school trails.

The one place that is no longer accessible, as someone actually built a house in the way, is one of many creek crossings at the South end of the park. That one was special because it had a loose, rocky downhill approach. My brother and I used to race through the rocks - on bikes we built out of the trash no less - to see who would cross the creek first. It usually resulted in some wild rides and soaking wet clothes. The best one was both of us hitting the creek at the same time, side by side - so the wake from my front tire was spraying him and his wake was spraying me - but he found a firm spot on the far bank and I found the mud hole. He went up the bank, I went OTB into the bank. This was my first lesson in erosion, and how the trail/conditions can change after a good rain.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

No known cure
    My daughter went to the same high school as I. I went in for some paperwork and saw that my old math teacher was now the principal. He used to verbally abuse me because I was a rebellious skater, surfer and one year later, a mountain biker in '85. I work in the OR across the street at the Community hospital and had the chance to say, "Still stuck at this school Mr Chapman"? He gave me the same glare as when I was 14.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I work in the OR across the street at the Community hospital and had the chance to say, "Still stuck at this school Mr Chapman"? He gave me the same glare as when I was 14.
    Haha, that's a good one. Some things never change.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes