• 05-23-2012
    Loafr
    New Shimano XT chains and powerlinks?
    Theres sure nothing like the quickness of field fixing a snapped chain with a Sram Powerlink. So now I have a new bike with the new shimano XT 10 speed. The pins in the chain look a little different with the dimpled ends. Does anyone know if a powerlink will work with the XT 10 speed?
  • 05-23-2012
    elcaro1101
    I haven't had luck with the SRAM link on either the XT or XTR chains I have.

I use these instead.

Amazon.com: KMC Missing Link (10-Speed Cd/6): Sports & Outdoors
  • 05-23-2012
    mtbdl
    +1 on the KMC links
    IIRC, the SRAM 10 speed links are a single use link so they can't be reused.
  • 05-23-2012
    phirebug
    i use the kmc links as well. it also makes it a lot easier to clean your drivetrain because you can remove your chain in about 5 seconds and put it right back on.
  • 05-23-2012
    I use the KMC Missing link as well on a XTR chain . . . how many uses are people getting before they replace? By uses I mean opening and closing the link. I replaced mine after 3 uses (probably on the low side) because I noticed it became pretty easy to slide it open. They're so cheap, I figured why not . . .
  • 05-23-2012
    Hpirx
    Snapped a Shimano 10 speed XT chain last year at Blue Mt. in Westchester NY.
    Had a SRAM 10 speed quick link on hand, but spent 20 tortuous minutes being eaten alive by giant mosquitoes while I unsuccessfully tried to install it.
    The SRAM 9 Speed quick link went on in like 15 seconds and is still running fine today.
  • 05-23-2012
    phirebug
    i didn't know these things had a limited number of uses. i've taken mine apart and put it back together dozens of times. it's a little easier to open now than when it was new, but i still need to gently squeeze it with my needle-nose to open it. the chain tension should be more than enough to keep it in place. i could be doing things 100% wrong (it's happened before) but it's been working fine so far.
  • 05-23-2012
    WeakMite
    works fine with shimano chains... one thumb on each side of the powerlink works every time.
  • 05-27-2012
    4SEVEN3
    First I've heard about replacing them with x number of uses. It's one of the first things I put on my bikes for maintenance and repair; and I keep one in the camelbak. I have one on my SLX 10spd and it's working beautifully!
  • 05-27-2012

The KMC links come as either reusable or non-reusable, so pay attention when you pick one up: KMC Missing Link.

Personally, I prefer Wipperman links, then KMC, and SRAM is a distant, finger-mangling last.
  • 05-28-2012
    phirebug
    ok so here's a question...there doesn't seem to be a limit to the number of times you can reuse a KMC missing link (provided you buy the right one...thanks for pointing that out, 251, i didn't know they made two kinds) but is there a limit to the number of missing links you can use on one chain? i snapped my chain today and repaired it with my spare missing link because i didn't feel like screwing around with pins and my chain tool and i wanted to keep riding, but now i've got two of them on there. is this bad?
  • 05-28-2012
    Rock_Garden
    Wipperman links are the easiest by far.

I have a Sram 9 speed power link on my 9 speed XTR chain, works fine. I think Shimano played a bit of voodoo on the 10 speed chains though, something about them being directional, and one side thicker than the other.