New Shimano Centerlock hubs interchangeable with old style discs?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2003

New question here. New Shimano Centerlock hubs interchangeable with old style discs?

Hi,does anyone know if you can make a new Shimano centerlock disk hub accept an old style type rotor.I guess what i'am tryin to ask is are the centerlock rotors and older style able to go on the same hub somehow?
    thanks
    DW

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dwurfel
    Hi,does anyone know if you can make a new Shimano centerlock disk hub accept an old style type rotor.I guess what i'am tryin to ask is are the centerlock rotors and older style able to go on the same hub somehow?
    thanks
    DW
    The short answer is.....nope.
    A longer answer is, the area where the bolts would go on the disc has been machined out to fit a pattern on the new hubs and kept in place with a lockring very much like a cassette lockring. Matter of fact I remember seeing a post about someone using their cassette lockring tool to tighten and loosen the disc lockring.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

mtbr member

New question here.

thanks
    DW
    What is your end goal? Why would you want to put an old style rotor on the new Shimano hubs?

The reason this catches my ear is because I got a stellar deal on some XTR hubs with the new style disc mount (a long time ago). And to top it all off, I have a nice set of Hayes that I did not want to get rid of. So, I kept an eye out on ebay and got an equally good deal on some XTR rotors which are roughly the same diameter and thickness as the stock Hayes rotors. Viola, I have been running Hayes brakes on a new XTR hub/rotor combo. So far it has worked like a charm.

dd..''

Jan 2004
    The real answer is yes. Quality Bike Products will soon have an adapter that will fit over the center lock and allow any 6 bolt rotor to be installed on a S himano center-lock (or DT Swiss) hub.

But you can use S himano center lock rotors with other brakes, provided the rotor diameter matches and the thickness is ballpark.

mtbr member

It's available now...

QBP part number is BP0380 and should be about $20 give or take a couple. From the comments line of the item description...

Converts XTR, XT, and DT Center-Lock hubs to standard 6-bolt ISO rotor mount. Does not work with SAINT hubs or XTR WH-M965, XT WH-M765 wheelsets.

mtbr member

The answer is yes

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    QBP part number is BP0380 and should be about $20 -Lock hubs to standard 6-bolt ISO rotor mount. Does not work with SAINT hubs or XTR WH-M965, XT WH-M765 wheelsets.
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR0380

There is a picture of it on the site too. $16.99

Gak

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    The real answer is yes. Quality Bike Products will soon have an adapter that will fit over the center lock and allow any 6 bolt rotor to be installed on a S himano center-lock (or DT Swiss) hub.

But you can use S himano center lock rotors with other brakes, provided the rotor diameter matches and the thickness is ballpark.
    Well I'll be dipped in @#$*. Shows what I know. I've been looking at them from pictures and never saw a safe way (in my mind) to mount a standarg iso disc to them. I kinda thought that there might be an adapter from some enterprising mind in the works. Looks like I was talking out my @$$. My apologies for misleading anyone, wasn't my intention.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

Jan 2003

The rotor thing

Quote Originally Posted by dodjy
    What is your end goal? Why would you want to put an old style rotor on the new Shimano hubs?

The reason this catches my ear is because I got a stellar deal on some XTR hubs with the new style disc mount (a long time ago). And to top it all off, I have a nice set of Hayes that I did not want to get rid of. So, I kept an eye out on ebay and got an equally good deal on some XTR rotors which are roughly the same diameter and thickness as the stock Hayes rotors. Viola, I have been running Hayes brakes on a new XTR hub/rotor combo. So far it has worked like a charm.

dd..''
    What I'am hoping to do is run a 180mm XT rotor,if it exists.It doesn't in the centerlock version but i'am quite sure it does in the older version.I want a bit more stopping power on my new XT dual control levers but runnin the 203mm voids the warranty on my Fox fork and is strongly discouraged by Fox .

Jan 2003

Good job! Ssmike And Nater

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike

Thanks alot for the info guys.I would have never thought and actually thought i was insane for askin but then thought well ya never know and look at that.Cool idea!
    Thanks DW

Jan 2004
    Thanks alot for the info guys.I would have never thought and actually thought i was insane for askin but then thought well ya never know and look at that.Cool idea!
    Thanks DW
    No problem. But if you are wanting to run 180 (probably 185), that's going to be tough. You;ll be able to put 185 H ayes, Galfer or A vid rotors on the center-lock adapter, but as far as I'm aware, there is no caliper adapter to run any S himano caliper with a 185 rotor. S himano has an adapter for M anitou forks and the old XT 4-pot calipers that necessitates the use of a S himano 6-bolt 170mm rotor. Other than that, the caliper adapters from the big "S" are for 160 or 203mm rotors.