banned

New Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Built Soely by Mountain Bikers

For those of you who travel to Sedona in the Fall or Spring you can look forward to riding a new trail that might be more of your style of riding. The new Forest Service approved Aerie trail was totally routed and built by mountain bikers only w/o any FS supervision or help. As usual the trail has great views which Sedona is known for.

Some dedicated volunteers stepped it up and solely built a three mile advanced intermediate singletrack out in the Cockscomb area. The construction started 8/4 and the total man-hours to build the trail were around 100 hours.

This area has desperately needed a new improved type of trail and tomorrow the local's and some non-locals will take part in a ride to celebrate the almost completion of the trail.

If you end up in Sedona this Fall check it out. I am posting the official map of the ride for your review, a GPS route ( http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=783843 ) elevation profile and a video ( ) of the current ride.

Come check it out and the other 135 plus trails we have available for you biking enjoyment. Remember if your a dog lover and enjoy doing a ride with your best friend we encourage dogs off leash if they are respectful of local wildlife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Built Soely by Mountain Bikers-aerie-trail-8-29-10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well done. Always nice to see people stepping up to contribute.

mtbr member
    Awesome...thanks for your hard work down there.

mtbr member
    Looks great TD.

I used to do a loop out in that area from Dead Man's Pass to Cock's Comb to Girdner (?) that wasn't too bad. Does this involve any of that same area? Can you tie into some of these other trails to make a loop out of it?

Thanks for the hard work. Did the FS decide to leave your routing alone? Or are they still considering some reroutes?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    can't wait to ride it! is there a way to make it into a loop? also, how long is it? i'm totally psyched to see all the work you guys put in!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Looks great TD.

I used to do a loop out in that area from Dead Man's Pass to Cock's Comb to Girdner (?) that wasn't too bad. Does this involve any of that same area? Can you tie into some of these other trails to make a loop out of it?

Thanks for the hard work. Did the FS decide to leave your routing alone? Or are they still considering some reroutes?
    KR:

We did the following loop 11.8 mile loop: Lost Watch to Mescal to Aerie to Aerie Perimeter Fence Trail to Rupp (we should have gone to Cockscomb instead of Rupp) to AZ Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Lost Watch.

When I do this loop again I will not do Rupp to Az Cypress. I will do Cockscomb to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Anaconda Bypass to Anaconda to Girdner. I will do an EveryTrail routing when I ride that route in the future. The Rupp trail looses way too much elevation to be a worthwhile link unless I were to head to the Cultural Center on Girdner.

Here is the EveryTrial link with the GPS track and elevation profile: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=786965

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Built Soely by Mountain Bikers-aerie-loop-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome! Mountain biker designed singletrack is always the best
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

mtbr member
    Sounds great i'll be sure to ride it when I visit Sedona on 22nd & 23rd september as part of my MTB trip from England !!

Thanks for all your hardwork
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

Just roll it......
    100 man hours to build!?! holy phuck, John....I've got almost that many hours of scouting into one of my trails. Jealous!

EB

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    100 man hours to build!?! holy phuck, John....I've got almost that many hours of scouting into one of my trails. Jealous!

EB
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing! Lots of scouting required in the deep woods, apparently a lot less so in the desert.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing! Lots of scouting required in the deep woods, apparently a lot less so in the desert.
    The routing took 80 to 100 hours since the trail went through Indian territory. Whenever a chard of pottery was spotted, woops can't go that way. Fortunately, I had nothing to do with the flagging. When you ride the trail you will see blue flags all over the place.

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0