New Englanders Ride Colorado: A TR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New Englanders Ride Colorado: A TR

A few riding buddies and I have been talking about a trip out West for a while now. After some spousal begging and pleading we got the green light and schlepped out to Colorado for a few days. We mulled over the location quite a bit but eventually settled on Breckenridge mostly because of its ease to get to and all the amazing riding right from town.

I did a lot of research on how to get my bike out there but eventually pulled the trigger on a Dakine roller bike bag. Money well spent.

We arrived in Breck early on day one and decide to lay low, acclimate and check out the town. We ended up sampling some local beer which was quite good. Being a Vermonter, my beer expectations are high. Not disappointed.

Hydrated, rested and full of Mexican food we crushed a 15 mile ride on day 1 right in town. Sun, nice temps and dry dirt were perfect.

High!

Day 2 was a little different. We hopped the gondola and another chair up to the top of the resort, made our way down the Game Trail to the Peaks Trail. An awesome, mostly down hill 14 miles all the way to Frisco. We hit Outer Range brewery and pedaled the bike path back to Breck.

Conditions were dusty....

But beer was top notch.....

Day 3 was a little more interesting. We headed to Steamboat and got a tip from a shop to ride a 20 mile loop further north near Clark.

We drove 40 minutes north then checked the weather. The sky turned dark so we ended up turning back to avoid the imminent t-storms.

We made the right call as it rained, hailed and stormed hard as we bailed.

We made our way back to Steamboat and managed an epic late day ride.

Nice sunset on the way home too.

Not much for pics on our last day. We put together a loop in Breck of some trails we hadn’t hit yet. A long dirt road climb to the top of Side Door was grueling but gorgeous.

Hell of a trip overall. Colorado trails were amazing and drastically different than the usual terrain I ride back in Vermont. Looking forward to making my way out there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Nice! Being a Co. local I know. The hail and rain is a typical 15 minute mid day event [almost daily] in the high county of Colorado from June to August. Wait it out and it will be sunny and beautiful with Velcro like dirt from the short event. Looks like you had a blast.

Edit: Just an FYI, Colorado is ranked #2 on the list of best beer states. Oregon is #1. Vermont is #6.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...ed-by-its-beer
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-05-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I think it's possible to take a bus from the Denver airport to Frisco, with maybe one transfer.

We were on a different kind of bike trip with touring friends on a ride from Frisco to Glenwood Springs last summer. We parked in Glenwood Springs and took the Bustang to Frisco. These are big, really nice commercial buses, and we just put our fully loaded bikes in the luggage compartment in the bottom of the bus. The Bustang West Line (like Mustang, but with a "B" because it's a bus) is reasonably priced and people use it to commute back and forth to/from Denver and towns inbetween; the route goes all the way along the Interstate to Grand Junction.

https://www.ridebustang.com/west-line

Just thought I'd add this in, since it would make a budget trip to Frisco possible if you flew into Denver. Although we had our own bikes, there are several bike shops, like Pioneer, in Frisco that rent reasonably good mountain bikes. As noted by the OP, it's an easy bike path ride to Breck.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Nice! Being a Co. local I know. The hail and rain is a typical 15 minute mid day event [almost daily] in the high county of Colorado from June to August. Wait it out and it will be sunny and beautiful with Velcro like dirt from the short event. Looks like you had a blast.

Edit: Just an FYI, Colorado is ranked #2 on the list of best beer states. Oregon is #1. Vermont is #6.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...ed-by-its-beer
    We we’re extra cautious about the t-storms considering none of us brought rain gear. Gotta say it was a dramatic storm - the temp dropped about 20 degrees in under an hour.

The dirt was super dry and we made a few comments about how just a little rain would make it so grippy.

Good beer article except Vermont should be higher than number 6 . I wish we could’ve sampled more local beer in CO but, as I said, what I had was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.