New camera haulin' / epic ride pack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New camera haulin' / epic ride pack

given the descussion a coulpe of weeks ago on camera carring packs.....

I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem (thanks Pete/ PJ). for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

It easily holds all my bike gear (more than I should carry), plus I can fit my tamrac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

I took it out tonight for the first time. BUt got dark too quick for me to take many shots. The pack rides quite nice, and will be put to good use this weekend with 4 rides planed in New Hampshire, western Mass. and southern Maine.

Even as heavy as all the gear and pack were the straps and fit sinch things down so there is very little if any movement while riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    b

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice pics! But a 10D plus 17-40L plus 550EX is a HUGE load to carry around with you while riding. I carry a digital rebel + 50mm f1.8. It's remarkably light.

Jess

mtbr member
    SWEET PICTURES!!!!! I am a photo buff myslef but am afraid of crashing which is why I don't bring my nice digital camera on the trial. Will have to check out that camera bag though.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tingj
    Nice pics! But a 10D plus 17-40L plus 550EX is a HUGE load to carry around with you while riding.
    HUGE is in the eye of the carrier, to butcher a saying.

That actually is a pretty light load, considering some of the other options.

mtbr member

true.

it's so much better than what I was carrying. now to add a tripod to the mix.
    b

mtbr member

that's definatly a concern.

but if you want to take pictures of places that you can't just drive to, you learn your limits.
    b

mtbr member

I take my f2.8 70-200mm with me too sometimes. =)

I also had my nipple light and a S45. It really wasn't prohibatively heavy. but I do need to boost up the rear shock a bit.
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=brianc]it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

It easily holds all my bike gear (more than I should carry), plus I can fit my tamrac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

Good stuff!

Have you tried carrying a tripod with said pack? I will be ordering a gitzo 1227 tripod soon and will need a more comfortable pack than my lowepro. Congrats on the new DSLR. Looking forward to more excellents pics from your camera.

mtbr member

not yet but,

Quote Originally Posted by mugg

Have you tried carrying a tripod with said pack? I will be ordering a gitzo 1227 tripod soon and will need a more comfortable pack than my lowepro. Congrats on the new DSLR. Looking forward to more excellents pics from your camera.
    but it has a sytem on the outside of the pack to attach a helmet too. I think I can use it to haul the tripod. If not the pack is more than deep enought to fit a tripod inside. but the width with all the other stuff could be an issue.
    b

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem (thanks Pete/ PJ). for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

Nice... does your setup include the battery grip for the 10D? I'm curious about the inside layout of the bag and how the gear fits... would you mind posting a pic of your gear and how it fits in the bag? (I'm assuming you have a smaller camera as well.)

Thanks.

mtbr member

I have a battery grip.

but i took it off so the camera body will fit in the with out having to take the lense off. it slides into the tamrac with the back on the bottom and the lense facing up.

I'll try and get you a pick of the inside of the pack, but it will be a few days before I can post it.
    b

Jan 2004

A bit heavy...

I used to bring my EOS 5 and a 20-70 2.8 L on most trips and the photos were stunning. Had a Tamrac chest harness (see enclosed photo from Moab) which worked well but it got very heavy. During casual rides it would be alright but during technical and demanding long rides it got very heavy. The EOS 5 is no lightweight and the 28-70 alone weighs around 3 lbs. Nowadays I bring a Powershot S50 digital which works extremly well and keeps the weight down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2004

Hey

Is that Great Brook Farm in Carlisle, MA?

Looks very fimiliar.

mtbr member

Close.

These were from Harlod Parker SF in Andover. I have posted some pictures for Great Brook in the past.

HP is similar, but it's more techy (somewhat) and has more relative elevation change.
    b

May 2004
    The water pic really didn't look like GBF, but I thought I would ask