New byStickel ride: Rohloff & Louise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New byStickel ride: Rohloff & Louise

Not sure where to post this, brakes?, custom bikes?, drivetrain? .... well I figure Passion probably covers it.

New byStickel frame for my wife (I already have one), custom geometry to fit her, custom dropouts for the 14-speed Rohloff hub, custom disc caliper mounts to clear the Rohloff shifter box, new style Bushnell eBB, custom cable routing, and the frame can be built as a Single-Speed or derailleur gearie.

Brake content: She says the hydralic Louise are noticably easier the control than her previous Avid mechanicals, especially on snow and ice. Some of this my be due to the nasty weather we often ride in, brake cables get chronically dirty.

Drivetrain content: Rohloff's instant shifting is nice (I gave her my pre-broken in hub), no more fiddling with the shifters to get the chain to climb/drop. Again, something to do with non-optimal ride conditions.

Cheers,

Tom

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Gorgeous!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

rohloff rich
    That custom rear brake mount is a very elegant solution to the external shifter box/disc brake conflict. Very cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn thats a nice ride, I like how the rear caliper is mounted too, they should all be that way.
    Pat T.

beer thief
    Very intriguing. Someday the derailleur will be a piece of ancient history (I suppose for you it might already be), and I wonder if some derivative of the Rohloff will be the replacement.

I think one should be required to post pictures of their wife when posting pics of her new ride. ;^D

And He was Not

Well Tought Out

Lots of good ideas there. That is a very nice ride!

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

rohloff Q

i am sure these questions are asked constantly about that design, but how much of hassel is it having two full length rear derailleur cables? is the rohloff sensitive to grit build up in the cables?

i am also really intrigued by the design, but a bit put off by 1)the price, 2)that shift box thingy and 3)two rear cables. prolly not so put off though. 'cuz when i feel obstacle 1 is no longer an issue i will get myself one.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Cyclist

Nicely done...

Another fine frame from Steve. That guy is a master and he thrives at nailing exactly what the customer wants.

Going on year two with mine and loving it.

Could you post a pic of the new bushnell?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

formerly Giantxc
    So does that super long vertical drop out allow you to tension the chain or is there an EBB in there too?

I'd love to have a nice Rohloff equiped hardtail as a geary HT, but the cost is too steep for my wallet!

Oh yeah, awesome ride!

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    i am sure these questions are asked constantly about that design, but how much of hassel is it having two full length rear derailleur cables? is the rohloff sensitive to grit build up in the cables?
    The cables use the standard stops along the top-tube, and Steve put extra cable guide on the left seat stay for the shifter cables, in reality you don't have that much more cable than a derailleur system with a front shifter. Because the shifting is a pull-pull system and the indexing is in the hub, grit in the shifter cable does not affect shifting (cause a bit more resistance). Shifting in bad conditions is one of the hub's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Could you post a pic of the new bushnell?
    I don't have a picture of the bushnell alone, but this one similar to the old design, with an updated bolt and wedge that is much less likely to break under ham fisted adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    So does that super long vertical drop out allow you to tension the chain or is there an EBB in there too?

I'd love to have a nice Rohloff equiped hardtail as a geary HT, but the cost is too steep for my wallet!
    The long dropout is to accomodate the OEM torque arm on the hub, something has to transfer the torque to the frame when you have gears in the hub. There is a Bushnell eBB for chain tension.
    One can only hope that SRAM and/or Shimano will provide some competition, but in the mean time, the amortized cost of buying and running a Rohloff is less than XTR, probably similar to XT.

Quote Originally Posted by radair
    I think one should be required to post pictures of their wife when posting pics of her new ride. ;^D
    I don't have a picture of her on the bike yet... but I agree. But have you ever tried to get a picture of your wife if she knows you are going to post it on the web...

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by itsdoable; 01-28-2005 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can also minimize any rohloff cable maintenance by using full length housing.

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    You can also minimize any rohloff cable maintenance by using full length housing.
    True, however grit in the housing does not affect the indexing (indexing is in the hub), so cable maintenance is minimal regardless of housing. On a derailleur, the spring must pull the cable back though the housing, so friction prevents this. With the Rohloff, there is no spring, the twist shifter pulls the cable in both directions - you have to get A LOT of grit in there to prevent the system from shifting.

I've never run full housing on my Rohloffs, and through the worst conditions where everyone else is having shifting issues, my hub has clicked off shifts unfettered, and I have not ever cleaned the housing after any ride. Poor riding conditions are one of the places where this system shines.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by itsdoable; 01-28-2005 at 10:39 AM.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The cables use the standard stops along the top-tube, and Steve put extra cable guide on the left seat stay for the shifter cables, in reality you don't have that much more cable than a derailleur system with a front shifter. Because the shifting is a pull-pull system and the indexing is in the hub, grit in the shifter cable does not affect shifting (cause a bit more resistance). Shifting in bad conditions is one of the hub's strengths.
    aha! thanks for that important tid bit!
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very cool bike. Steve is awesome to work with. He just made a repair (new top tube) to a frame for me. He is a very meticulous guy, even when just making a repair. I can't wait to have him build me one "just for me".

mtbr member

Gorgeous!

Oh, the joy one must feel with a custom spec'd, designed, and built frame. Hell of a Passion hit, you placed the thread in the correct Forum!

I love the fact it appears you can supply an image for the head badge / graphic!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Derailleurless
    Beautiful! The rear disc placement is a perfect compromise (that is, for anyone not running Avids).

What is that black thing tied to the rear wheel spokes?

When I put my wife on a Speedhub it was a joyous occasion (for me). The complaining and excuses that followed a missed shift, a dropped chain or any other shifting malady dropped nearly to zero. The first few rides presented a bit of a learning curve, since the shifting technique is a little different that with derailleurs, but that was a minor obstacle.

She isn't Ace Rockolla in the saddle but nevertheless, she rides more, enjoys it more, and as an indirect result has become a lot more competent on her bike than I'd ever hoped.

More recently my sister spent a day on mine, and wants one. Unfortunately, chuffer's "Item #1" is holding her back...

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I've been waiting a long time to see a decent disk brake Rohloff setup! How much did the brake mounting limit your choice of brake calipers? I assume cable actuated wouldn't work (or would it with a little modification?) and that you counted on a certain level of flexibility in hose attachment.

Nice work, you've put together what I'd consider a perfect geared hardtail (minus 29" wheels )
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Beautiful! The rear disc placement is a perfect compromise (that is, for anyone not running Avids).

When I put my wife on a Speedhub it was a joyous occasion (for me). The complaining and excuses that followed a missed shift, a dropped chain or any other shifting malady dropped nearly to zero. The first few rides presented a bit of a learning curve, since the shifting technique is a little different that with derailleurs, but that was a minor obstacle.

She isn't Ace Rockolla in the saddle but nevertheless, she rides more, enjoys it more, and as an indirect result has become a lot more competent on her bike than I'd ever hoped.

More recently my sister spent a day on mine, and wants one. Unfortunately, chuffer's "Item #1" is holding her back...
    how much more do those hubs weigh then a regular hub???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    how much more do those hubs weigh then a regular hub???
    The disc brake version of the hub is a good 1800g. It's compact enough that rotating mass isn't much of a factor. Regardless, installing one will add a pound and a half over a typical XT build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The disc brake version of the hub is a good 1800g. It's compact enough that rotating mass isn't much of a factor. Regardless, installing one will add a pound and a half over a typical XT build.
    Does that include derailluers, shifters, ect, ect? Does that hub only fit certain bikes?
    Pat T.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.?
    Does that include derailluers, shifters, ect, ect? Does that hub only fit certain bikes?
    Add in the weight of a shifter, and the the dual cable run, and the anti-torque bracket you choose (itsdoable chose the lightest, cleanest option of three -- the Speedhub-specific dropout). Plus if you run FS you need a tensioner and perhaps a chainguide.

But to be fair, don't forget to subtract out the front shifter, front & rear mechs, cassette & two chainrings.

With all the various parts in place, that's where my +1.5 lb figure comes from.

The hub can be made to fit just about any bike, but they all won't look as good as this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I love the fact it appears you can supply an image for the head badge / graphic!
    Yes, Steve has a cool head badge, you can put any picture you want in there.

It's a magnet for a rear batteryless generator type LED flasher, useful on night rides. The wheel was off my bike, I just never got around to removing the magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    I've been waiting a long time to see a decent disk brake Rohloff setup! How much did the brake mounting limit your choice of brake calipers? I assume cable actuated wouldn't work (or would it with a little modification?) and that you counted on a certain level of flexibility in hose attachment.
    The capiler mount will take most ISO calipers, the exception are the XT-4-piston versions, or similar long calipers like Hope 4 or 6 piston - but I didn't try those. This particular one will not take post mounts, but I think post mounts on the rear are cludgy. However, you can S-bend the seat and chainstay such that any post mount will fit, including the Avid Mechs - if you told Steve you wanted to use Avid Mechs, he would have made the necessary modification. I considered this option on the bike, but there are no shortage of good ISO calipers. The Louise caliper came with a strait hose mount, I switched it to a banjo mount (a Magura option) to keep the hose run neat.

Speedub.Nate has answered most of the other questions. The only thing different I've observed is that the weight penalty is probably closer to 2lb when you switch from a similarly priced XTR/XT drivetrain.

Cheers,

Tom