My temporary commuter, and my first real "road ride"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My temporary commuter, and my first real "road ride"

My blur is down for the count, until SC sends me a new frame (great guys up there) so in the meantime to avoild having to bum rides from everyone to get to and from work (public trans is out of the question around here, super sh*tty) I borrowed a road bike from a co-worker. He doesn't ride it much so he said sure. I'd love to buy it, he'd sell it at a pretty good deal to me if I had the cash, but for a bike like this, even a super deal is a ton of $$.

Commuting by road bike vs my Blur is a wash, I think. With the blur I could take lots of shortcuts, and for my I'm a lot better and handling the mtb, so I felt safer. And with 60psi in the tires, it rolled surprisingly fast. This bike, being borrowed, all I'm willing to do is adjust the seat height. I'm not messing up someone elses bike fit, so it's not a perfect match for me, causign some pain ehre and there and some discomfort. It also has 172.5 crankarms, which just feel weird. I'm used to 175's, and I've got long legs, too.

So, today, after riding 9.7 miles in, a buch of us went on a lunchtime road ride (20 miles, out and back). It turned out to be an individual event, angering some of us (the stronger guys took off like rockets). On the way back in, three of us organzied our little draft (first time for me, and it makes a big difference in speed vs effort!). Also, riding on the wheel of the guy in fornt of you is frightening on a potholed up road. with a 25t cog in the back, and ran out of steam on one climb, which by roadie standars is pretty mild, and had to stop for a minute. I felt lame. Almost as lame as I felt riding wiht mtb shoes and baggy shorts (don't own proper road attire). My boss who went with us on the ride (real cool old guy, 50+) has an older moots with an old rock shox suspension fork on it. I gave it a spin and it was amazing how smooth it rode on the roughest of patchwork pothole roads (our roads are terrible)... And now, another 9.7 miles to ride home.

Anyway, here's the bike, and I'd do the road ride thing again, for sure.
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Apr 2006

Good job!

Nice! I like the coloration.

wannabee
    nice loaner!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Road bike climbing can be as tough as it gets, and it gets you strong. My only problem with it is the boring misery, extreme danger, the bikes and parts have become ridiculous expensive and the clothing looks queer compared to my middle-aged priorities and tastes.

I will soon be living temporarily by the hundreds of miles of smooth hilly roads I cruised 30+ years ago and will hope to enjoy it more.

mtbr member
    Nice bike!

Man, I'd kill for a lunch time ride...

Enjoy.

Nat
    mtbr member
    How much does he want for that bike?

mtbr member
    I don't know for sure. He told me about a year ago if he were to sell it to me he'd ask about $1300 - $1400. A great deal, but still a lot to get approval from the wife for, who incidentally doesn't like road bikes (but she still watched the tour with me last year like it was Days of our Lives).

Climbing was tough, and I was quickly thinking about 12-27t cassettes, and compact 50/34 gearing!

Work Shed...
    1400 is an amazing deal on any Ti road bike.. I agree with the guy above though, it is boring and makes you much stronger.. What a crummy tradeoff =\
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    It was a lot less boring when a couple/three of us got togther and made our own little draft. Riding alone on the rd. is real boring, especially if the roads are long and straight. that's why when I commute I put as many left and right turns in as I can. There's another way I can get to work by streets that 5 miles longer, I thought I'd take it a few times here and there to score some extra mileage, but I got like 5 miles in a straight line down one street, turn left, and go 6.5 miles down that street to my house. That's boring. Anything more than a mile or two at a time that's pefectly straight off to the horizon wears on me mentally. Same goes for driving...

BM

What It Be ?
    I did a road ride last week with 2 buddies of mine down here in Hattiesburg. We rode out on a rails to trails to connect to some backroads. I thought it was alot of fun. Not as fun as trail riding but non the less. Drafting can be a little unnerving not used to being so close to the person in front of me. As well as cars flying by you while you hug the white line. Gearing on those things is a whole new world.

Mar 2006
    I just bought my first true road bike a few months ago. Before then I was riding a track bike and a cyclocross bike on the road. While I always will have a great love of mountain biking, I am really getting into road riding.
    The bike I bought was a dealer closeout on a 2005 Litespeed Tuscany. It was only $2600 complete.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Almost as lame as I felt riding wiht mtb shoes and baggy shorts (don't own proper road attire).
    I just bought a road bike to ride at lunch and do some touring type rides like the MS150 and such this summer. I think I'm the only roadie in all of Boulder County that has cleats in his shoes, let alone the baggy shorts and shirt.
    I own a couple of jerseys, but just prefer the baggy attire.

And as for the 25t climbing, I totally understand. I've been riding my 29lb 6" travel bike up and down the road climbs here in Boulder with relative ease. Of course the 32/34 combination makes that much more enjoyable. I took my road bike up and quickly found the 39/25 to be punishing for me up the climbs. I've since been riding the more flat routes around on the road bike until I invest in a compact crankset.

May 2006
    nice co-worker, lending you a ti ride!

Bunny Hugger

Good job! Road Riding Used To Bore Me Too

But now I love riding road as much as riding the mountains. I've been riding to and from work 2 or 3 days a week for the past 3 weeks. Man, I never thought that I would like riding on the road, but now I love it. It's really hard to get up early to ride to work, and the thought of riding home after 11-12 hrs at work is not inviting. But once I am on the bike, all bad thoughts vanish. I pedal nonstop and try to keep up a good cadence. That part is so different from MTB. When I finish the ride, I feel great, not tired. And I lost 6 lbs in less than two weeks; not too shabby.

I now need to buy more fitted clothing. There's a reason roadie clothes are the way they are. It's not for looks. It's totally function over form. Tight fitting means no flapping, and the fitted clothes keep you warmer on cool days and cooler on warm days; it's true. Yeah, the team designs are for looks, and that's totally subjective as to their appeal. I don't begrudge someone for wearing team jerseys; how many people wear basketball or football or baseball or hockey jerseys of their favorite teams? Think about it. If you wear baggies cuz you think that you look strange or might be looked upon as feminine for wearing lycra, then who is the poser? It's like the mountain bikers who don't wear mtb clothing and call those who do posers or Freds. They wear their cotton T-shirts and cutoff jeans or cargo shorts and pat themselves on their backs for being real mountain men. Whatever.

Get the roadie clothes, stop flapping, and buy that Litespeed. $1400 for that bike? What a deal!

DrugMe, what a beautiful bike. I wanted to buy that very same bike, but a lack of funds kept me from doing so. I already had a Cannondale R1000. But I ended up buying a Firenze frame on ebay for $450. I'll be swapping the parts over soon.
    Hug the Bunny

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Riding alone on the rd. is real boring, especially if the roads are long and straight.
    It's not boring, it's zen! Getting into a cadence that keeps the pavement reeling away with total ease, fresh air, birds, cows, horses, farmland...floating above the ground for 10 miles...20...40...60...

Remember: mountain bikes for adrenalin, road bikes for endorphins.

You should buy that bike.

desert dweller
    Go for the road bike. I used to get dropped by one of my buddies on every mountain bike ride. He weighs 40 lbs less than me a climbs like a scalded monkey. THis year for the first time I've been able to drop him on climbs ---TWICE!!!! Once on the road and once on a trail ride. I attribute it completely to my 3000+ miles per year on this bike. Oh yeah, I just spent $1300 upgrading everything to Dura-Ace -- just to show my appreciation!

mbb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0