My run in with a mountain lion- Mtbr.com
    Old Guy that rides

My run in with a mountain lion

Fortunatly for me I wasn't on my bike, unfortunatly for the lion I was in my truck. The cat had to be put down. Not the way I wanted to see one but it was incredible being that close to one.

ride
    Unofrtunate for all involved, eh? What happened?

mtbr member

Yeeow

Where did that happen?

Dec 2003

ummmm...you wanna elaborate on this one????

[QUOTE=OGDHr]Fortunatly for me I wasn't on my bike, unfortunatly for the lion I was in my truck. The cat had to be put down. Not the way I wanted to see one but it was incredible being that close to one.

no messages here! Just wanna hear about the cat!

don't try this at home
    so you gonna finish the story?

Jan 2004
    Buddy of mine was driving along at 60 when a black bear bolted across the road and slammed square into the side of his truck. Major dent. The bear shook it off, but it doesn't look like your cat was as lucky. What a shame.

Ride what you want!!
    The looks like a big fricken cat!

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

sh*t disturber

No good You sure about that?

I call B.S. Prove me wrong.

Jan 2004
    Why the skepticism, exactly? I personally have had one fox and one coyote run into the side of my car at highway speeds and don't see anything in this post to raise my BS antenna.

Ken

ps: not to mention the big freakin' moose that ran into the side of the Suburban $3800 worth in October.

Medium?

Twinge of skepticism here too

- The cat pic is clearly at night, the truck pic looks during the day; following day perhaps?
    - With that much blood on the cat, there should be some on the truck too. Hmmm.
    - Would a wounded Mtn Lion lie around calmly and let you shoot a close-up from ground-level if it were that injured? I would normally think not.
    - If that happened to me, I would certainly post more details. Hmmm.
    - A Mtn Lion being put down should probably be newsworthy, right?

That said, I've ridden with, and shared posts and emails with Mr. OGDHer, and he doesn't strike me as the post-some-bs kinda guy. Details man, details!

Jan 2004

Fortunately ...

Quote Originally Posted by celly
    I call B.S. Prove me wrong.
    no one has to prove anything to you.

True or not it's a good story.

Medium?
    Fred, Fred, Fred
    Good story? What story? It's two pictures meant to imply a story.

Jan 2004
    That's terrible. I'd be pretty upset if I saw one under those circumstances.

Old Guy that rides
    It happened on the way to work around 6:00 AM (before the sun comes up for you 9-5'ers) The cat ran across the road and I swerved and braked to avoid it but it collided with the door. It was out cold for about 3-4 minutes and then started to come around. It got up and walked several times before the Sheriff got there. Not much else to tell. Oh and I took the photo of the truck when I got to work after the sun came up

~F~

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

out of his misery.....

good reason to end the suffering.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Ouch! Poor thing. While I would like to see one in the wild under safe circumstances (does that exist?), I would not want to see it in that way either! I would be pretty shaken by that experience.

Tree Hugger
    You are lucky it didnt do more damage to your truck. I had a deer hit my old K5 Blazer and it totalled the car (only $5000 in damage but it was an older Blazer).
    It's sad to see such a beautiful beast get killed, but since it was dead, I would have asked if i could have the carcass. I think it would be cool to have the fur made into something, and I'd love to have the skull to hang on a wall. Maybe stuff a paw, and hang it from my car mirror? Beleive me, I hate to see wildlife killed without damned good reason, but if it commits suicide into your car, then I think you deserve a souvenier.
    Did you ask the ranger if you could have him? I suspect they wouldnt let you, but many places would let youkeep a deer if you hit it. Maybe because you can hunt deer, they dont really care, but I figure after they do minor tests on the dead lion, it will just get dumped in a landfill, or ground up into dog food.
    Sasquatch
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Medium?
    Poor kitty. She looks bad, and yes, suffering I agree. I can't help thinking that animal control might not have put her down on the spot though. Bummer.

I love the cat snot on your truck. You should have recorded the phone call to your insurance company. "A what?"

Look at those paws. Jayzus, I would not want to interrupt that kitty hunting piggies on one of my solo nighttime Henry Coe loops. What can I do to make myself look less tasty? I'd get one of these, but I'd have to carry it in a front pocket to do any good, and it wouldn't be comfortable, or completely safe.

mtbr member

Thanks for sharing

Sorry to see it happen though.

sh*t disturber

OK, I'm a believer now.....

Your original post lacked any sort of story (even though fred likes picture books). I've seen other similar urban legends on this site. How many times has that Alaska bear story been told in these parts?

Quite the experience you had. One not to forget.
    Last edited by celly; 01-27-2004 at 11:47 AM.

sh*t disturber

Fred, you're a good story.....

Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    no one has to prove anything to you.

True or not it's a good story.
    Mostly fiction and a touch of bad comedy. Good comedy means we laugh WITH you.

sh*t disturber

It was the method of delivery....

and I'm a skeptic by nature. Your moose story had more than a short description of what happened. I wasn't the only one skeptical..

sh*t disturber
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Fred, Fred, Fred
    Good story? What story? It's two pictures meant to imply a story.
    fred's just being fred.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by celly
    fred's just being fred.
    Okay, now I KNOW you're just trying to increase your post count!

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

sh*t disturber

cute avatar, ken......

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Okay, now I KNOW you're just trying to increase your post count!

Kn.
    Really....

I wonder if that website is still around.

bc

Des(s)ert Rat
    One more post for me, too please!

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    That's sad. Beautiful animal. too bad it had to be put down.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Its only 1" on the map!
    [QUOTE=OGDHr]It happened on the way to work around 6:00 AM (before the sun comes up for you 9-5'ers) The cat ran across the road and I swerved and braked to avoid it but it collided with the door. It was out cold for about 3-4 minutes and then started to come around. It got up and walked several times before the Sheriff got there. Not much else to tell. Oh and I took the photo of the truck when I got to work after the sun came up

~F~

QUOTE]

Man, that cat must have really been suffering really bad, I would have expected that cat to try and run or do a "last ditch" attack with you folks standing around like that. Good you put her out of her misery.

Bill Porter

Jan 2004

Poor Kitty

This is really unfortunate. Very sorry to see..but this cat had to be put down.

FUD

Jan 2004
    one more reason to sell your car(truck) and ride more...maybe try hopping on a non DH bike and ride to work for a few days. just a thought.

Old Guy that rides
    that would be fun if it wasn't 40 miles each way to work over a 1400' mountain pass...let's see 2.5 hours each way to work plus a 10+ hour day = no life

FUD

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OGDHr
    that would be fun if it wasn't 40 miles each way to work over a 1400' mountain pass...let's see 2.5 hours each way to work plus a 10+ hour day = no life
    yeah, I hear ya. but seriously, maybe move? or get a new job? Im not trying to harsh on you but **** lke this wouldnt happen so often if we all spent somewhat less time driving. like I said, Im not trying to flame you personally, just making a point that should be made more often. I used to ride 40+ miles a day round trip before I moved, Id ride 3 or 4 times a week and maybe drive 2 days a week in the winter if the weather was sub 0. it can be done. its not that hard. buy a 'cross bike and try it. youll be lighter, faster, and richer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I wonder if it HAD to be killed.

Cats are amazing survivors. We had a housecat get hit in the head under a vehicle going 60 mph and it looked alot like that photo, only smaller. He survived and it cost us a paltry $200 vet bill (and this was way after normal hours). The biggest concern was a brain injury & swelling, but he was pretty much out of the woods after the first few days. Our vet later told us that cats had come in with their skulls literally in pieces but they were able to repair them and they were fine in the end.

I know it's not always realistic, but don't be afraid to try calling a veterinary hospital when these things happen. They can do amazing things these days and some won't even expect payment (though I'm sure they would appreciate it).

Great story, but what a disturbing way to see a mountain lion.

hands up who wants to die
    poor kitty

Old Guy that rides
    And just when would I spend time with my kids? I'm sure they would understand....

FUD

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OGDHr
    And just when would I spend time with my kids? I'm sure they would understand....
    lifes about choices, my DHing compadre. give here take there, its a zero sum game. work 10 hours to pay for _____ lose __ hours you could have done ____. it's really alot easier than it initially appears. and alot simpler. don't buy x and dont pay for x. I'm pretty firmly entranched in my opinion on this matter that if you rob from peter to pay paul, peter gets screwed no matter what pauls intentions...ie. you kill the cat while in your truck going to work to feed your kids and donate to____, pauls still f$cked. no matter how good your intentions. and I do not mean to imply theyre not good. not a personal slight to you, just an observation of a consumer society that dictates the actions that lead you to drive as much as you do and its reprocussions. I ride road alot. I see alot, I mean alot of dead sh1t on the side of the road and alot of broken cars as its result. all that money (and suffering/death) could be saved to some degree if fewer people drove less miles in less cars. like I said, not a shot at you just a general observation... /rant

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    lifes about choices, my DHing compadre. give here take there, its a zero sum game. work 10 hours to pay for _____ lose __ hours you could have done ____. it's really alot easier than it initially appears. and alot simpler. don't buy x and dont pay for x. I'm pretty firmly entranched in my opinion on this matter that if you rob from peter to pay paul, peter gets screwed no matter what pauls intentions...ie. you kill the cat while in your truck going to work to feed your kids and donate to____, pauls still f$cked. no matter how good your intentions. and I do not mean to imply theyre not good. not a personal slight to you, just an observation of a consumer society that dictates the actions that lead you to drive as much as you do and its reprocussions. I ride road alot. I see alot, I mean alot of dead sh1t on the side of the road and alot of broken cars as its result. all that money (and suffering/death) could be saved to some degree if fewer people drove less miles in less cars. like I said, not a shot at you just a general observation... /rant
    Rofl, you cant be serious dude. Most of us lost that choice very very early on in life
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

FUD

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Rofl, you cant be serious dude. Most of us lost that choice very very early on in life
    nah, you just think you did. the choice is still there. I decided 5 years ago that living in a metro area I was spending too much $ on my car and its related $ and made a few changes. its not nearly as hard as youd seem to imply.

Now Uploading
    I think they are beautiful animals, and I'm bummed too, but see, a couple of problems here are that once a wild animal is injured like that here (was also hit by another car after running into the truck from what I read), the animal may not be able to hunt successfully and can then become a bigger problem by going after easier targets like people and pets. This is no house cat, and I doubt any local vet would want to attend to it without it being completely out and restrained.

This is sad, but wild animals live a different life than our house pets. Putting it down after those injuries was not only the humane thing to do, but also a considerate thing to do for a lot of other reasons.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    Cats are amazing survivors. We had a housecat get hit in the head under a vehicle going 60 mph and it looked alot like that photo, only smaller. He survived and it cost us a paltry $200 vet bill (and this was way after normal hours). The biggest concern was a brain injury & swelling, but he was pretty much out of the woods after the first few days. Our vet later told us that cats had come in with their skulls literally in pieces but they were able to repair them and they were fine in the end.

I know it's not always realistic, but don't be afraid to try calling a veterinary hospital when these things happen. They can do amazing things these days and some won't even expect payment (though I'm sure they would appreciate it).

Great story, but what a disturbing way to see a mountain lion.
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Medium?

You're a putz.

I agree that it would be nice if everyone could get out of their car. I made my commute, 30 miles each way, by train and bike for four years, just like you think everyone should. Then the economy went to shit, I had to find another job and I can't always ride to the one I found. I can't move. I have a family, and I only get 1 vote out of 5 as to where we live.

You may have a nice happy-go-lucky, single, freewheeling lifestyle, but everyone can't do it. Blame society, blame whomever you want, but don't go around making decent people feel bad about their lot in life. OGDHr happens to ride mostly xc, and I'm sure he'd like to live in a 4000 sq ft, solar-heated, off-the-grid, eco-friendly mansion right across the street from work and the grocery store, but it just ain't going to happen in the society in which you live. Putz.

Medium?
    So, your decision to kill your car had nothing to do with ecology, or making the world a better place, but it was based on how much money it would save you. You're a real faqing saint.

transitional form
    Man, no disrespect intended towards FUD, but that post by Fast Eddy really resonates. As those who've read some of my other posts know, I'm a huge bike commuting proponent and very concerned about environmental issues. I try to do right where I can, but due to economic circumstances I've had to make a lot of compromises. The FIRST thing I'd do if I had a huge economic windfall is set up my family with the sort of eco-friendly, down-to-earth dwelling Eddy described, situated so that all necessities were within biking distance, and get a hybrid car for my family. (Then buy a custom, steel lugged frame or two for me )

Unfortunately, that stuff is a ways in the future, and in the meantime I gotta make decisions for the welfare of my wife and child. I wish society were set up in such a way that it was more possible for the less-wealthy people to make good decisions. Especially since it seems like most of the wealthy people don't think about these issues at all .

I agree that it would be nice if everyone could get out of their car. I made my commute, 30 miles each way, by train and bike for four years, just like you think everyone should. Then the economy went to shit, I had to find another job and I can't always ride to the one I found. I can't move. I have a family, and I only get 1 vote out of 5 as to where we live.

You may have a nice happy-go-lucky, single, freewheeling lifestyle, but everyone can't do it. Blame society, blame whomever you want, but don't go around making decent people feel bad about their lot in life. OGDHr happens to ride mostly xc, and I'm sure he'd like to live in a 4000 sq ft, solar-heated, off-the-grid, eco-friendly mansion right across the street from work and the grocery store, but it just ain't going to happen in the society in which you live. Putz.

BGR / MCM #311
    - - With that much blood on the cat, there should be some on the truck too. Hmmm.
    Seeing that I have some experience in prying people out of mutilated cars, aiding people that have been struck by cars, and watching the PD eliminate the suffering of injured beasts upon playing tag with cars, here's some insight...

Blood does not IMMEDIATELY poor from a wound, especially impact trauma. (Cuts and lacerations, yes). Impact occurs, the animal (including humans) is usually thrown from the impact site before the blood vessels start flowing. If there is massive damage to said vessels, that's when you see LOTS of blood loss...and even then, once the blood loss causes the B/P to drop low and the main vessels to the traumatized area to constrict, bleeding will slow. In this instance it looks like blood is coming from the lion's mouth and nose (maybe even CS fluid coming from his ears??), indicating skull fracture. The main impact looks like it was in the side of his melon, busting everything loose inside. It would take a few seconds for the blood to escape his cranium and start pouring out of his mouth and nose. Thus...the little amount of blood at the impact sight...and the lion looking seconds later like he took a gunshot to the mouth.

=]

terry

Medium?

No, you're wrong.

You'll need the steel lugged frame to ride while they're building your house. It should come first. 8^)

It's the axle
    That is the saddest thing I've seen in ages. That really sucks.
    I really really hate cars. I hate cars!
    Dammit!

Now Uploading
    I don't know if anyone should hate their car because a wild animal ran into it. I can see where you would feel bad if you accidentally ran over an animal though. I do and I have.

The human race has evolved and progressed to the point of many modern methods of transportation, we are not going to change anything by acting like we can just revert back to simpler times in this society. People will drive cars or whatever there is to transport us at the time. Not everyone is in the physical shape necessary to ride a bicycle, or has the time or even wants to. I think it's awesome if you want to do a cycle commute, but ripping on other people with differing methods or opinions of commuting will get us nowhere.

Animals, people, other vehicles, trees, a home I used to live in, and many other things will be struck by moving vehicles, and sometimes a moving animal will strike another object in it's path. Tragic, but death is part of life too, the last part.

How can we avoid all this chance peril, suffering and conflict in life? We can't. Just do your part not to make your personal experiences an example of what not to do on the news, and slow down or watch out when you drive and hope for the best. Any other thoughts or ideas on how you can make your little piece of the world a more cheerful and user friendly place, knock yourself out.

Cheers,

Dave

transitional form
    You'll need the steel lugged frame to ride while they're building your house. It should come first. 8^)
    LOL, good point, and I'd have to take the 9-month wait at Vanilla into account .

Who was I kidding, the bikes would be the first thing I'd think of...

FUD

Jan 2004
    So, your decision to kill your car had nothing to do with ecology, or making the world a better place, but it was based on how much money it would save you. You're a real faqing saint.
    nope. it was initially a training thing. I wanted to be more competitive in a spring race so I started riding pretty much every day in the fall a few years ago.
    anyhoo... not really sure what I said that makes you think Im a "putz"...sorry if I chafed you. just a topic that leaves me befuddled. Ive passed on jobs that were too far from home that would have paid me more because I like to know Im not a noodge that spends most of my life in my car, I suppose it may be different for those with children but even then, why spend x hours a week in your car that you could spend with them just so you can live where you do or buy something? Also, FWIW, I tried to say pretty clearly I wasnt attempting to guilt trip the DHing dude, just making a point perhaps at his expense. Im sure hes a good guy. feel better Ed?

Medium?

Nope, I feel the same.

You said nothing about training before, only about how much $ you spent on your car.

A guy I know used to not have a car, and he was my hero. I rode more often and more miles to be more like him. I liked that life, but the fact is that the world has moved on, so instead of lamenting the fact, I'm dealing with it.

I'd love to have a job in the town where I live, I really would. Fact is, there are no jobs that I've found there that would pay 1/3 what I make. So if I have to drive 1 hour a day to make a ton of money, I'm doing it. I'm quite sure I could pull up roots, sell my real estate and retire in Iowa or some godforsaken place like that, but I happen to like the weather, the riding and the people where I live, so I'm working; in Israel right now, away from the family for a month if you must know. Maybe that's why I'm cranky. Ask me again on Saturday night. I'm riding both days between now and then. Maybe then I'll feel better.

mtbr member

Nah, I'm with you Fast....

FUD's posts just strike me as holier than thou. They come across as he thinks he's better than the rest of us who make different choices. And for that, I, too, think he's a putz.

I'd love to be able to quit my job, sell my house, turn down jobs or anything like that just so I could ride my bike. But, back in the real world, we make our choices based on a number of other considerations. Where we live isn't based on "can I ride my bike to work" but, where can we find a house we will enjoy spending time in, school districts if you have kids, commute distance to work (by whatever your chosen means is) and possibly resale value.

FUD, enjoy your lifestyle while you can. I envy you the simple choices you have to make. One of these days, things will come along that will take precedence over whether or not you can ride your bike to work and you'll understand. In the meantime, I recommend not being so judgemental of others who have made other choices than you have.

Oh yeah, tragic to have to destroy such a beatiful animal.

FUD

Jan 2004

I'm holier than thou??

dude, maybe I can off a bit preachy, as hard as I thought to try not too. But, its a bit more, as you say, Holier than thou, to assume what I might prioritize in the future and what may "come along and take precedence" or better yet, to pass on such sage advice on how things are "back in the real world" where, "we make our choices based on a number of other considerations"...I'm in the same world, I could have a bigger house and lot for the same $ if I moved further out and I could make more money if I were to stretch the distance, but its not worth it, not to me anyways. Obviously it is to you, and I guess that's cool, but you dont live in a vaccuum. youre choice to drive 2 hours a day doesnt just affect you..thats really all my point is/was. but Im sure you knew that. take your own advice and try "not being so judgemental of others who have made other choices than you have."

mtbr member

I'd love to have a job in the town where I live, I really would. Fact is, there are no jobs that I've found there that would pay 1/3 what I make. So if I have to drive 1 hour a day to make a ton of money, I'm doing it. I'm quite sure I could pull up roots, sell my real estate and retire in Iowa or some godforsaken place like that, but I happen to like the weather, the riding and the people where I live, so I'm working; in Israel right now, away from the family for a month if you must know. Maybe that's why I'm cranky. Ask me again on Saturday night. I'm riding both days between now and then. Maybe then I'll feel better.
    You made a choice and that's all the guy is saying. Evryone makes their choices.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    You made a choice and that's all the guy is saying. Evryone makes their choices.
    And "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - Geddy Lee/Rush

Yup, it's your decision.

Dave

Medium?
    It's virtual Friday night here in Israel (the weekend is Fri/Sat) and I've had more than a few Polish Vodkas. Now I feel better. Sorry for calling you a putz. If you have no car, I envy your lifestyle. Late'.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    yeah, I hear ya. but seriously, maybe move? or get a new job? Im not trying to harsh on you but **** lke this wouldnt happen so often if we all spent somewhat less time driving. like I said, Im not trying to flame you personally, just making a point that should be made more often. I used to ride 40+ miles a day round trip before I moved, Id ride 3 or 4 times a week and maybe drive 2 days a week in the winter if the weather was sub 0. it can be done. its not that hard. buy a 'cross bike and try it. youll be lighter, faster, and richer.
    Imagine if he would have been riding to work and ran into the cat! Your a fricking gem to get on his case about driving to work. Sometimes the message is put out in the wrong place; like this time. Yes more people should ride to work and thank you for your contribution to the world, but get a friggin clue.

FUD

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffy
    Imagine if he would have been riding to work and ran into the cat! Your a fricking gem to get on his case about driving to work. Sometimes the message is put out in the wrong place; like this time. Yes more people should ride to work and thank you for your contribution to the world, but get a friggin clue.

again, for another apparently hypersensitive soul...Im sorry beyond description if I've offended your feelings as it appears. however, I dont agree in the tiniest bit that this is as you say, putting the message out at the wrong time. The dude hit a cat while he was driving 40 miles to work. the fact he was going so far is directly relevant to this "message" you speak of. Drive further, more often, your chance of ruining someones, or somethings day-yourself not excluded- goes up. As for the last part, I barely make any contribution to the world and request no gratitiude for it from anyone. least of all people online. such hostility...

Jan 2004

Apology accepted

[QUOTE=FUD]again, for another apparently hypersensitive soul...Im sorry beyond description QUOTE]

Apology accepted
    Hypersensitive

Jan 2004
    Wow that is sad to see such a majestic animal like the cougar runover by a car. I encountered an adolescent cougar while camping one time. It's weird how you can be awed and scard sh*tless at the same time. It's safe to say I'd rathar hit one with my car than meet one on my bike when it comes down to survival. No way DHer should feel guilty or anything. What happens happens.