Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Idea! My passion led to this....

I've always wondered why no state has a "mountain biking" themed vehicle license plate. Out of the hundreds (thousands?) of license plate designs in the 50 states (and PR and DC), not ONE state has a mountain bike license plate.

Well, in January 2011, that's going to change!

What you see below is the final design of Idaho's new "mountain biking" license plate. This thing has been a labor of love for me since last year when I started the process to get this through our state Legislature. Hours and hours of time have been spent getting to this point - providing our design to the Idaho Transportation Department - and the vast majority of volunteer work has been done by mountain bikers, from the lobbying/legislative work to the design of the plate. It will cost extra to buy and then renew the plate (like any other specialty plate), but the extra funds will, by law, go back into mountain biking trails and projects statewide.

Read all about it here: http://idmtbtrailassoc.blogspot.com/

If you didn't know, Idaho is the "secret gem state" for mountain biking. Some of the most epic trails in the nation are found here! Why not find a way to put some money back into the trails AND advertise the state as a mountain bike vacation destination?

For you non-Idahoans, you can get one next year too! Sample plates will be available for purchase online in 2011 from the Idaho Transportation Department's website.

So, we're first. Who's next?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My passion led to this....-plate-final-small.jpg  

Last edited by Earthpig; 07-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Sweet! Nice job!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That's awesome!
    A great way to show your love of the sport.
    Good job on making it happen.

I'm sure you'll be the first to have one, yes? What will yours say?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinFL
    I'm sure you'll be the first to have one, yes? What will yours say?
    I get the first 30 low numbered plates to give to whomever I please. Unfortunately, those aren't personalized.

Fortunately, I own two vehicles!

wannabee
    That's cool it happened! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thats pretty sweet!!

Just have to ask, Is that you on the plate? Did you put your own picture or bike on there?

Would be extra sweet if you did!!!
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just another way to show off your passion for MTBing. Good job on seeing your vision through. Good looking plate too !

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Nice job!!! We have a roadie plate here in CO, but no MTB plate. I think this post is a call to action! (although I hear it's going to be more difficult to get new plate designs here in CO--there are already so many of them that it's causing problems for the DMV...)

mtbr dismember

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Granny Gear Guru
    I need to move to Idaho.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Now I know I've already seen one of those Idaho plates here in the Midwest.

DJ

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55
    I need to move to Idaho.
    ...for that plate alone.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Awesome dude!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Sweet! Only problem is I just moved back to WA from ID.

I had heard about those plates from the Pedalers, good on you for bringing it to completion!

Rolland

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder
    Just have to ask, Is that you on the plate? Did you put your own picture or bike on there?

Would be extra sweet if you did!!!
    Extra sweet it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My passion led to this....-geoff002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, totally extra sweet.

mtbr member
    Yep, can't wait to pick up mine when they're available.
    Really like the finished design.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Good work!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey, that's my bike!
    whatever...

Des(s)ert Rat
    Congratulations! I can only imagine how much bureaucratic red tape you had to get through, not to mention the oodles of hoops that had to be jumped.

And thank you. Even though I don't live in Idaho, your impact to all mountainbikers should be noted! I and many others will benefit from you hard work when we visit your trails.

mtbr member extraordinair
    EPIC!!!!
    Thats awesome!! Congratulations! Well deserved!! Im glad to see your hard work paid off, and even more glad to hear it will fund the trails. I want to move to Idaho.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That is freaking sweet! I would have a decal of that photo made just to show off my matching license plate. HAHA

You Are What You Is
    Wow, that's very cool. And a nice design, to boot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sweet, is that a Motolite I spy with my little eye?

David B.

the test dummy
    sweet you got mountain bike plates even sweeter your on the mountain bike plate
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    awesome

mtbr member
    Any Tips for others wanting to do the same in their state? Pitfalls or things to avoid?

It must be pretty easy here in Georgia. We've got specialty plates here for colleges in OTHER states.

Rock

By the way, very cool.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Boise is the friggin land of Titus, and now it is now memorialized in this plate. I'll get a plate anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wow, that's great.
    I just checked GA, we only have a Cycling share the road plate available.
    2010 Specialized Hardrock

Eleven - it's one louder

The Logo

Great job! The NBA uses Jerry West's picture for its logo so he is of course known as "The Logo".

Earthpig is now oficially The Logo.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    kick ass man!
    ~every end is a new beginning...

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    i want one!!
    the time is right for violent revolution

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Boise is the friggin land of Titus, and now it is now memorialized in this plate. I'll get a plate anyway.
    Au contraire, gj. You know that everybody around here has ditched their Yetis, Tituses, Santa Cruzes and other boutique FS bikes for a few Ibis Mojos and a veritable buttload of Turner 5 Spots.

Boise - land of the Homer!

Maybe we'll make interchangeable stickers of different frames that you can apply over the Moto....

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

tips and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    Any Tips for others wanting to do the same in their state? Pitfalls or things to avoid?

It must be pretty easy here in Georgia. We've got specialty plates here for colleges in OTHER states.

Rock

By the way, very cool.
    I think the process is different in every state. Here in Idaho, every single specialty plate has its own law/code section in the Idaho Code. Having written a fair number of pieces of legislation before (for work) and having down a little lobbying, I knew the process going into it. I had to line up sponsoring legislators in both the House and the Senate, shepard the bill through the Transportation Committees of both bodies, and then get enough votes in both the Committees and on the floor of each side to get it onto the Governor's desk for signature. I contacted mountain bike clubs and riders statewide and had them contact their legislators, asking for a positive vote. The hard part was the fact that the legislature here HATES specialty plates of any kind and routinely vote against them, regardless of what they are or what they do. But, we had enough state-wide support from bikers all over that we were able to sway some of the recalcitrant ones to get through both houses and a signature of the Gov.

Luckily, at this time, I wasn't required to get a petition with "x" number of signatures beforehand - some states require signatures of several hundred people saying that they want a plate before they'll even consider approving one. Some states, like my home state (commonwealth) of Virginia have a very simple process (I think - there have to be 50 more more specialty plates in VA.)

Pieces of advice:

1. Rally the mountain biking communities statewide, including riders and bike-related businesses, and do it before you start the process. You want to get the groundswell started early.

2. Find a good graphic designer - and somebody who rides. My designer is an AVID rider and is doing all the design work for free. Get a good design done early - that's what really sells some people. Also, if you need to and if it's required in your state, find a good lobbyist who knows people in the legislature well. The guy who helped me doesn't know the first thing about mountain biking (like most of the legislators), but because he knows the legislators, he was able to sell them on our cause.

3. Make sure the money goes to a "good cause." We have tons of recreationalists here who use the trails, but don't ride. During the lobbying process, I stressed that putting money into the trails will benefit ALL trailusers, not just riders. While it's a mountain biking plate, I wanted everybody to know that it's not just for riders alone. That helped a lot.

4. Stress the economic benefits of trails for the local communities. I found LOTS of examples of how trails - and especially epic riding trails and trail systems put a lot of direct and multiplier cash into local economies of rural areas. Idaho has been very hard hit by the recession, especially the smaller communities that are close to our best trails. I really hit on the positive economic effects of new trail systems, highlighting studies in Canada, the Chewamegon area of Wisconsin, and Fruita. Due to the building of the trails in Fruita, they added $1.5 million of direct economic impact into the local economy, boosting tax revenues by 50% over a 5 years period. Legislators love to hear that.

5. Take advantage of social networking. I've got a blog, a facebook page and a Twitter account all linked together that, if I post on the blog, all goes out at once to a LOT of people. Also, contact media outlets - don't wait for them to come to you. I've gotten a TON of free positive press in all parts of the state by doing that. We even got in the print edition of Dirt Rag! I think they have a readership of over 50,000 subscribers. (And, they paid me to draft the news article, to boot.) If you need to, find a good PR person and somebody knows how to "work" different facets of the media, including net-based social media.

6. Finally, be professional. While undeserved, mountain bikers are still seen as a bunch of dirtbag kids by older generations. I made sure that our legislators learned that we are a very diverse group of people, stretching across a large age range and all through the economic strata. I made sure that they knew that "we" are really part of "them." (It didn't hurt that I'm almost 40 and have been practicing law for about 14 years. Plus, as my girlfriend says, I clean up well when I put on the monkey suit and tie.)

And, have fun with it. I have to admit, doing this has been the MOST satisfying and fun professional experience of my life!

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    That is EXCELLENT!

Unfortunately, that would never fly in this bureaucratic hellhole, California. There would have to be a disclaimer at the bottom of the plate that no preferences are implied in the photo concerning the rider's race, gender, weight, height, or sexual preference. Then a rainbow flag would have to be displayed somewhere, maybe on the rider's sleeve. Then another disclaimer that the plate does not imply consent for destroying wildlife and endangered species via evil mountain biking. Then another legislative committee would have to analyze the plate to determine whether or not the paint color on the bike promotes a bias against less popular paint colors, or gangs. Another disclaimer would also have to be included to remind everyone that helmets must be worn at all times and, remember, to always "Buckle up!" Yet another disclaimer would be have to be included to inform no illegal immigrants were harmed in the making of the plate. Yet another committee would have to authorize and ceritify that only environmentally-sanctioned,"green" companies are depicted n the picture.

Of course, all this would drive the cost of the plate to $1,500 each, renewable each year on April 15.

That is one awesome plate you've got there in Idaho, a beautiful state. Good job!
    Last edited by MTP; 07-23-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    If not biking, then what?

avg. joe
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    That is EXCELLENT!

Unfortunately, that would never fly in this beauracratic craphole, California. There would have to be a disclaimer at the bottom of the plate that no preferences are implied in the photo concerning the rider's race, gender, weight, height, or sexual preference. Then a rainbow flag would have to be displayed somewhere, maybe on the rider's sleeve. Then another disclaimer that the plate does not imply consent for destroying wildlife and endangered species via evil mountain biking. Then another legislative committee would have to analyze the plate to determine whether or not the paint color on the bike promotes a bias against less popular paint colors, or gangs. Another disclaimer would also have to be included to remind everyone that helmets must be worn at all times and, remember, to always "Buckle up!" Yet another disclaimer would be have to be included to inform no illegal immigrants were harmed in the making of the plate. Yet another committee would have to authorize and ceritify that only environmentally-sanctioned,"green" companies are depicted n the picture.

Of course, all this would drive the cost of the plate to $1,500 each, renewable each year on April 15.
    Awesome! Love the wit.

We have a plain-jane share the road cycling tag here in GA. Something is better than nothing.

STinGa
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks!

Great job and thanks for all your hard work & perseverance. I can't wait to buy one for each car come 2011!

No really, I am that slow
    Shouldn't you use a bike from an Idaho builder?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Despacio
    Shouldn't you use a bike from an Idaho builder?
    Love to, but no Idaho bike builder has gotten behind it. Ibis, actually, has been a KEY supporter. Wish I had the moola to buy an Ibis, but my next ride will definitely be an Ibis. Scot Nichol kicked in some cash to fund the plate programming, and he singlehandedly put together a fundraiser for programming funds in Boise. That guy and that company rocks. So, had I had my stuff together, the biker on the plate would DEFINITELY be rocking an Ibis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You have just immortalized yourself. good work!

\m/{-_-}\m/
    That's super cool. Great job man!

Members who have read this thread: 0