REALLY?

My new friend...almost ran him over (pics)

This guy was in the middle of the trail, bunny-hopped my 29er over him. No worries either, I let him go in a nice wooded area after I stopped at the shop for pics.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    What species?

REALLY?
    The non-poison kind...seriously though, I don't know, probably garter, king or something.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

meow meow
    thats pretty big. i hate snakes, came across a 2 foot snake here and it scared the crap out of me.

REALLY?
    This one was close to 3 ft.

mtbr member
    sweet!!! that is a nice california king snake.good you found him and not someone else that might have just run him over or killed him just because it was a snake.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    how long did you have to ride with him to get back to cobblestones?
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05
    sweet!!! that is a nice california king snake.good you found him and not someone else that might have just run him over or killed him just because it was a snake.
    Yeah they are the opposite of aggressive. Lovely snake!

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16
    how long did you have to ride with him to get back to cobblestones?
    Well, I actually found him on the bike path that connects Ventura and Ojai Calif (alongside Hwy 33), I was about half way up the path(roughly 5 miles I think) then a very slow gradual downhill back to the shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice snake and bike... I have the same bike with the same front tire and headset... (I think I still do anyways. )

REALLY?
    Yeah, its a Surly KM, bought it used. It was mostly stock, I use it for touring/commuting, I'm downgrading the stem to a Easton EA70. I don't need the Thomson stem on this bike, my race bike already has Thomson stem/seatpost. Will be building my 2 daughters entry level race bikes over the next year or so, one of them will get this stem. Only thing being upgraded on the KM are brakes, wheels, drive-train...the stuff I'm hard-on/wear out the most.

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    thats pretty big. i hate snakes, came across a 2 foot snake here and it scared the crap out of me.
    i hate snakes too, one time i was taking a piss and i looked down and saw a 2 foot snake with one eye, very weird
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05
    . +1
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03
    i hate snakes too, one time i was taking a piss and i looked down and saw a 2 foot snake with one eye, very weird
    lol... just dont shake him too much, he might spit...or so the hill folk say..I wouldnt know.

nocturnal oblivion
    Bwahahaha. Touche.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Now broadcasting from CO
    You bunny hopped it with your 29er???? Isn't that impossible????

Seriously though... sweet snake. I love snakes. Once saw a four foot Timber Rattler sunning itself out on a dirt road. I promptly went around it. That thing was huge...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    That's an actual nice looking snake. All the Northeast snakes (even though rarely poisonous) are all black or malted black and ugly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    That's an actual nice looking snake. All the Northeast snakes (even though rarely poisonous) are all black or malted black and ugly.
    Plenty of colorful and venomous snakes in the Northeast U.S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hor...7594283326099/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Plenty of colorful and venomous snakes in the Northeast U.S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hor...7594283326099/

Well where do all these hot and sexy snakes hang out? Because i'm only running into the dark ugly ones. I've actually been to that flickr page before when i was trying to figure out which snake i saw in the woods.

All fat, all the time.
    Cool!

"2 Wycked"
    Because i'm only running into the dark ugly ones.

Shame on you....there's no need to get racist, im sure there are lighter ugly ones too

mtbr member
    Well where do all these hot and sexy snakes hang out? Because i'm only running into the dark ugly ones. I've actually been to that flickr page before when i was trying to figure out which snake i saw in the woods.
    I'm in the southeast U.S., but I see many more off trail than on. Some are nocturnal as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Seriously though... sweet snake. I love snakes. Once saw a four foot Timber Rattler sunning itself out on a dirt road. I promptly went around it. That thing was huge...
    Pics or it didn't happen! Just kidding, I've posted this one before. Still scares the crap out of me when I think about finding it on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new friend...almost ran him over (pics)-rattlesnakec.jpg  

2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    OP: looks like a corn snake.

mtbr member
    I got to say. One nice thing about the Northeast is that there are less animals and insects that want to bite and/or kill you. I never even thought about it until i started looking at places to move.

High Desert MTBer
    Lot of nice specimens down here in Tucson. I love to see em, and if you leave em alone they wont bug you. I ran over a 4' diamondback's head last year and he was motionless after. It really bummed me out, but I could not avoid him. I hope he was just stunned, but I don't think so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc
    Lot of nice specimens down here in Tucson. I love to see em, and if you leave em alone they wont bug you. I ran over a 4' diamondback's head last year and he was motionless after. It really bummed me out, but I could not avoid him. I hope he was just stunned, but I don't think so...
    as morbid as it sounds, lucky it was his head you ran over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    OP: looks like a corn snake.

Nope. Hint, scroll up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Nope. Hint, scroll up.
    fail lol. cali king

pretty thick for a corn snake anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That's pretty impressive. I've actually run across timber rattle snakes that had already been run over by other cyclists on some of the local paved trails. All they wanted was a little sun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ssssssnakes

A beauty from this past weekend at Carrizo Plain in California. Remarkable snake- I spent an hour checking it out, and finally let it crawl over my arm- pretty heavy experience. The riding was good, too...

jb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new friend...almost ran him over (pics)-p10501682.jpg  

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    As already mentioned, jeffgothro's snake is a Califonia King.

sarguy's snake is a Timber Rattler.

verve825's snake is Southern Pacific Rattler.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by verve825
    A beauty from this past weekend at Carrizo Plain in California. Remarkable snake- I spent an hour checking it out, and finally let it crawl over my arm- pretty heavy experience. The riding was good, too...

jb
    Why in the world would you let it crawl over your arm?

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan
    Why in the world would you let it crawl over your arm?
    That was my thought as well.

I could be mistaken but isn't the southern pacific one of the rattlers with very potent venom?

Token Hillbilly
    I really like the colors of the Cali kings. On occasion, here in Arkansas we will find a Scarlet King Snake, which are really cool, but most of them are just the garden variety of solid black ones. The only other neat looking snakes we get here are hog nose, blue racers, and copperheads.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Get out of town!
    I have ran over a couple of black snakes in NC. They are pretty lazy and are not in a hurry to get out of your way. In both cases I managed to come off he ground enough to just clip them with my back tire. It is crazy how quick you can be on top of a snake.

I rode up on a HUGE rattlesnake in Pisgah last summer. I was close enough to where it hissed and that was terrifying. I could not believe how loud it was. We were lucky to not get bit but I would guess they give you a lot of fair warning before they bite (luckiliy).

Racer snakes will freak you out too. One darted right underneath my front tire and that thing looked like it was swimming as it darted across the dirt. I would just assume never see a snake while riding. I feel like they are going to drop out of the trees on my head for the rest of the ride when I do. They just aren't trustworthy creatures...
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill
    That was my thought as well.

I could be mistaken but isn't the southern pacific one of the rattlers with very potent venom?
    Some people are just fearless. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMigVo1pyA
    Bianchi San Jose commute/town duties and fixie trail riding. Bianchi C.U.S.S for days I feel like riding a MTN bike.

US Soccer
    I love snakes.... so much i quit riding some of our better trails in my area due to all the snakes that are on them during the summer. can't ride without killing a couple once it gets really hot outside.

Speaking of fearless... here are some good old boys from Mississippi catching them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEh8Y...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1kkNl8gUbE

mtbr member
    Look closely, you'll see the highly venomous American box turtle, phew!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verve825

jb
    That guy looks a lot like this one that I found in the middle the trail when riding with a friend of mine...

he's a reptile nut, and we go out looking for interesting subjects to photograph. I can go a whole year riding and not see anything bigger than our normal tiny little lizards, but when he's out and we ride together we find all kinds if interesting specimens. We played with this guy, from a safe distance, for about 20 or so minutes until we felt we had enough photos and video, and he (or she, didn't check) realized we weren't a threat and slithered off.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

meow meow

are you the jackwagon jbdaniels was referring to a while ago?

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    are you the jackwagon jbdaniels was referring to a while ago?

Maybe, im not too sure though

mtbr member
    My first trip to the dessert and I came up on this guy crossing the trail. Lucky for me I was going up hill and not bombing downhill. Had time to grab the camera and warn others around me.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick
    My first trip to the dessert and I came up on this guy crossing the trail. Lucky for me I was going up hill and not bombing downhill. Had time to grab the camera and warn others around me.

Very nice Western Diamondback!!!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Members who have read this thread: 0