My addiction is back- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

My addiction is back

I took about 6 months off riding because I got into stand up jet skiing and other water sports. I wasn't that excited to get back on the bike and my fitness, bike handling and confidence were all low and my rides were pretty lame because of it. But after taking a day trip and forcing myself out a few times later, I'm starting to be able to ride trails I was riding before. I'm back to not being able to get enough and I want to ride every day to get my fix.

One of the things I love most about the sport is how it gets more fun the better you get. It's a huge driver to get out there everyday, to push my ability, and try to improve.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The addiction waxes and wanes, but never really goes away.

When I met my wife, I was in mountain-bicyclical downturn. The trend has since reversed. My wife's annoyance level progressed in an inverse ratio until we reached equilibrium between my desire for riding and her desire to punch me in the face.

* Disclaimer: domestic violence not officially advocated by this poster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post

When I met my wife, I was in mountain-bicyclical downturn. The trend has since reversed. My wife's annoyance level progressed in an inverse ratio until we reached equilibrium between my desire for riding and her desire to punch me in the face.

I think for a lot of us, mountain biking is a form of self-medicating away some of the less than pleasant aspects of every day life, and we are much more pleasant to be around after we've gotten our MTB fix. So, the sooner our significant others make that connection, the better.

My wife realized long ago that I NEED to ride. Plus, if it wasn't for riding, I'd probably weight 300 lbs, and be dead of a heart attack before I hit 50.

mtbr member
    I'm the same way with motorcycles, going through a downtime with them now but I will be back. Mountain biking has my full attention at the moment and is what makes everything else bearable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I totally agree about how getting better/fitter makes it more fun and you're right, it's a great motivator.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I think for a lot of us, mountain biking is a form of self-medicating away some of the less than pleasant aspects of every day life, and we are much more pleasant to be around after we've gotten our MTB fix. So, the sooner our significant others make that connection, the better.

My wife realized long ago that I NEED to ride. Plus, if it wasn't for riding, I'd probably weight 300 lbs, and be dead of a heart attack before I hit 50.
    There is definitely something therapeutic about it. Similarly I let one of my buddies who has suffered tremendously with medical problems, ride one of my jet skis. It was probably the best thing for him at the time.

Having fun + adrenaline + being in a zone is tough to beat

DFL

After a two year break, my passion has returned. My wife and I are still trying to find this equilibrium you speak of. She’s ready to punch me every time I go out to ride.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I took about 6 months off riding because I got into stand up jet skiing and other water sports. I wasn't that excited to get back on the bike and my fitness, bike handling and confidence were all low and my rides were pretty lame because of it. But after taking a day trip and forcing myself out a few times later, I'm starting to be able to ride trails I was riding before. I'm back to not being able to get enough and I want to ride every day to get my fix.

One of the things I love most about the sport is how it gets more fun the better you get. It's a huge driver to get out there everyday, to push my ability, and try to improve.
    Good to hear!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Absolutely. There's no better escape...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lately I wonder if there is something wrong with me. It seems like every day that I ride, I enjoy it more and more. I come home from a ride refreshed and happy and then immediately start thinking about the next ride.

I've started keeping track this year and so far I've done 88 rides at 23 different trail systems. I am lucky to live in a place where there are dozens more that I've never even tried yet.

The season here is coming to an end. In years past, I never rode during winter because I did not have the cold weather gear. This year I might start trying it with my hardtail. I think I need help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Lately I wonder if there is something wrong with me. It seems like every day that I ride, I enjoy it more and more.
    This year I might start trying it with my hardtail. I think I need help.
    Yes you do need some help. Quick, infect a friend!
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Yes you do need some help. Quick, infect a friend!
    Tried with my wife but she seems to have a potent immunity.

Candlestick Maker
    mmm...I likes me some pedals, especially after a long break. Welcome back!
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    I'm the same way with motorcycles, going through a downtime with them now but I will be back. Mountain biking has my full attention at the moment and is what makes everything else bearable.
    DING! DING! DING!

My mountain bike addiction was almost non-existent for a bunch of years, my motorcycle habit is definitely at the back burner for now, and, what seems like the foreseeable future. My wife is very supportive of either/both so, that's cool.

I'm very interested in getting my blood pumping again, and, having fun while doing it.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Absolutely. I'm definitely not the most awesome rider in the universe but I keep improving on my own ability that that's awesome enough for me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I really like the concepts, in this post, about "self-medicating", adrenaline, etc. I have been through a rough stretch lately( hate my job, marriage separation after 26 years)& mountain bikes are worth every penny you put into them......great therapy! Not a care in the world when you have some good tunes through your earphones, bike seems to read your mind as you pilot it over obstacles & swear that last one was "your best ride yet" !

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The season here is coming to an end. In years past, I never rode during winter because I did not have the cold weather gear. This year I might start trying it with my hardtail. I think I need help.
    All you need are
    super warm long bibs (150€)
    merino shirt (80€)
    biking jacket (150€)
    hardshell biking jacket and shorts (250€)
    ski gloves+decent hat (100€)
    merino socks (20€)
    winter biking shoes(120€)
    All above works for me down to -9C like a charm and all my biker friends...well...are waiting for spring...ain't got time for that shi**

Oh...and a lot of modesty on semi frozen&wet forest ground. Aaaand patience for cleaning all gear everytime!
    Everything else might can be redundant whille being out on bike.
    It is 100% better then not going!
    Some DO ski though...i don't - love biking too much to even consider...
    ...but, but, people on these forums say it is ok..huhh!
    Warm regards from frozen mid Europe!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My wife understands me, sort of. Biking make me happy, she's good with that. Nice legs, great BP, good health. All good. Everyone needs their own space, time alone, sport and exercise time. I just make regular headway on the honey do list.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by FireCop View Post
    I really like the concepts, in this post, about "self-medicating", adrenaline, etc. I have been through a rough stretch lately( hate my job, marriage separation after 26 years)& mountain bikes are worth every penny you put into them......great therapy! Not a care in the world when you have some good tunes through your earphones, bike seems to read your mind as you pilot it over obstacles & swear that last one was "your best ride yet" !
    I hear you, as full-time caregiver riding is my therapy, my escape, my medicine and my "me-time".

I'm so thankful I found this hobby, and I do prefer MTB but any chance to ride any of my bikes, just gives me that extra lift to continue on.

Edit: this thread made me want to go for a ride, so taking an extended lunch at work lol.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You need some help choosing and fitting some fat snow tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    All you need are
    super warm long bibs (150€)
    merino shirt (80€)
    biking jacket (150€)
    hardshell biking jacket and shorts (250€)
    ski gloves+decent hat (100€)
    merino socks (20€)
    winter biking shoes(120€)
    All above works for me down to -9C like a charm and all my biker friends...well...are waiting for spring...ain't got time for that shi**

Oh...and a lot of modesty on semi frozen&wet forest ground. Aaaand patience for cleaning all gear everytime!
    Everything else might can be redundant whille being out on bike.
    It is 100% better then not going!
    Some DO ski though...i don't - love biking too much to even consider...
    ...but, but, people on these forums say it is ok..huhh!
    Warm regards from frozen mid Europe!
    New Englander here. All you need is studded tires and all the clothes I already own. Winter boots etc. Old wool sweaters, yup. Fat bikes are nice too. I do switch out to flat pedals for the snow as well.