mtb racing even more like road racing now- Mtbr.com
    ride

mtb racing even more like road racing now

MTB Domestiques? From Velo News:
    For years it's was the one thing that definitively separated mountain biking from its road-racing cousin. If you get a flat, you fix it. Bust your chain, get out the chain tool. But that will all change starting next year when the UCI introduces a rule that will allow outside technical assistance in cross-country races at World Cup and world championship events.

The details of exactly how it's all going to work are still a little murky, but Regis Alexandre, the president of the UCI mountain bike commission, says he envisions two or three pit zones where riders can swap out everything but the frame. The new rule will also allow teammates to exchange parts, meaning the era of cross-country domestiques may well have arrived.

"We can not except that the best rider in the world with a lot of sponsors can lose a race just because of a puncture," said Alexandre in an exclusive interview with VeloNews. "Besides we already know that some teams use the system where they have tubes and tools in the bottles to give to riders. It is hypocrisy if we don't authorize assistance when we already know it is happening."
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

PITY THE FOOL!
    Interesting dilema. If it's happening already then they are right, they've got to address it and take a stand one way or the other. I don't like the idea however. I don't race and therefore don't ever have the anxiety of "what if I flat on the last lap, while in the lead" but it seems to me it should just be you and the bike. No help from others.

If you've ever read Bob Roll's book he has some interesting takes on road racing vs. MTB. His description of the race starts is great. On the road stages everyone kind of eases into the race where on the dirt it was all out, 100% go, right from the start.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    wow. does the uci suck ass or what? i for one find it perfectly acceptable that the 'best rider in the world' could lose a race cuz he got a flat. if he's so freakin' great, maybe he should learn to ride better and watch out for the rocks? thankfully, a proper manly sport, like motorcycle racing (enduro and hare scrambles) still allows no outside assistance.

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Linoleum Knife
    What was it... 2001? Roland Green has his picture taken getting a tool from another rider during the world cup finals.

What does the UCI do? Nothing.

What's the point in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it? You only screw over the "good guys" that are playing by the rules.

In world cup races, any kind of mechanical you have is going to lose you a couple places, so why not have pit crews. All this will do is level the playing field.

Maybe they can all wear NASCAR uniforms.

Jan 2004

joke

just more proof that most mountain bike racing is a souless joke

mtbr member

Yep, the UCI regarding MTBiking bites....

That is about as lame as it gets. It was well said above, the comment to the effect of "you and the bike".

And J.D., I'm so happy (and surprised) that a typical anti-racing comment was qualified with a "most"! Are you softening up on us?

I generally agree, but race in events that motivate me to push myself way harder than I would normally, and enjoy it. I also enjoy long solo epics and road rides too!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    What was it... 2001? Roland Green has his picture taken getting a tool from another rider during the world cup finals.

What's the point in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it? You only screw over the "good guys" that are playing by the rules.

In world cup races, any kind of mechanical you have is going to lose you a couple places, so why not have pit crews. All this will do is level the playing field.

Maybe they can all wear NASCAR uniforms.
    You can get help from another racer, just not outside assistance. The UCI did nothing because there was nothing to do...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Will doping be OK'd next? Seems like that lame-a$$ thought process could be applied to the drug problem just as easily (and it'd be just as wrong).
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    "It is hypocrisy if we don't authorize assistance when we already know it is happening."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Will doping be OK'd next? Seems like that lame-a$$ thought process could be applied to the drug problem just as easily (and it'd be just as wrong).
    LOL, Filip would like that!

I've heard of regional MTBike sport level racers doping.... sad.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Hairshirt Rider
    Wait a minute, if you combine that regulation with the new one that ok'd the 29er, don't you have a cyclocross race?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Drugs should be allowed in races...

...Thus the spectators could drop some acid and actually enjoy something so dull as XC racing!

mtbr member
    You don't like mt biking racing? What a damn surprise.

mtbr member
    Being self-supported is what makes mt biking so much better than road racing, IMO. Terrible decision!!!!!

Lazy People Suck

Are you sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by jl
    You can get help from another racer, just not outside assistance. The UCI did nothing because there was nothing to do...
    I know help from fellow racers is allowed in the 24 hour races, but I am almost positive that you cannot get outside help even from fellow racers in any NORBA event and I know there was an outcry that Roland Green's aid was illegal. Maybe the UCI and NORBA have differing rules regarding this issue.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Au Contraire

UCI Regulation 1.8.3.4

A rider cannot seek and receive any technical assistance along the course from anybody including competitors

and 1.8.3.5
    A rider may only change his bike or receive technical assistance between races

And 1.10.2
    Illegal repairs to the bike, change to the bike, unauthorized feeding or any assistance received from any external source will result in disqualification.

Page 11
    http://www.uci.ch/english/about/rules_2004/ch04.pdf

I only remember because I was riding with some guys racing Masters later that day and they were absolutely furious. It was the only topic of conversation on a 2 hour ride.

mtbr member
    A guy on my team borrowed a tool and was disqualified.

I think the rule has changed. A couple years ago when we'd line up for the start they'd say something about no outside help, but a racer in your class could help you.

Village Dirtbag
    Bad choice. Mt. Bikes tend to break, and in the real world tend to break far from help or supplies, so being prepared and being a good mechanic and improvisor are part of being a good mountain biker. Picking parts durable enough to last through the race is also important. I'm thinking with the new rule we might be seeing slightly more stupid-light parts that do no good to the average rider.

Also, not everyone can AFFORD to have a full compliment of spare parts, tools and mechanics at several pits along the course. Far from leveling the playing field, it sounds like this rule will mostly only help the big, well-funded teams.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

Ahh the infamous tool toss to Roland during that race. He could have loss the title if the opposing filed a formal complaint within a certain period, forgot what long of period they had but it wasn't very long IMO back then. So even though they caught the tool toss on video and picture, because a formal complaint was never filed by any other team, the incident basically never happened and the "statute of limitiation" had expired. So he won the title even though he did a no-no.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I too feel that mt bike racing has become more like road riding but for different reasons. Seems to me that a lot of races nowadays are more over dirt paths with minimal obstacles and max speed. While speed is good, it doesn't really seem to test the skill of the riders. Some races I used to do they would purposely build log pileups and rock gardens. Now they seem to go out of the way to either A) sanitize the trail or B) route the course on trails that provide minimal obstacles. I made a choice to skip one of my favorite races in WV this year because I feel they dumbed down the course too much. In the past it was a kick a$$ race but they decided to cut out 4 of 6 great trails out of the race that in my opinion made it what it was. Most of the races around here seem to follow that same pattern also so I'm probably not going to race for awhile now.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    And J.D., I'm so happy (and surprised) that a typical anti-racing comment was qualified with a "most"! Are you softening up on us?
    The kind of racing that Mike Curiak does takes both a lot of heart and soul, as well as skill, intestinal fortitude and varied skills like orienteering and woodcraft. That backslapping junk most people call mountain bike racing will always be a joke. It's canned, like network television.

The Riddler
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    The kind of racing that Mike Curiak does takes both a lot of heart and soul, as well as skill, intestinal fortitude and varied skills like orienteering and woodcraft. That backslapping junk most people call mountain bike racing will always be a joke. It's canned, like network television.
    I'm just wondering if you have ever raced? XC, marathon, 24hr solo/team, stage stuff? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Don't bother. Anything that combines camaraderie and money is considered soft is master baiter's eyes.

mtbr member

A different perspective....

We all stop and offer to help a fellow rider if we come across one with a problem, right? Why should this be any different than racing? That's the spirit of MTBing. But, I would say ONLY other racers can help - no team mechanics, no spectators, no one else that is not "on the trail".

In fact, I'd go a step further and say that you are REQUIRED to stop and offer help if you come across a disabled rider. Provide a tool, a tube or whatever; you don't have to help actually change the tube - the rider should be able to do that, but you could provide a part or tool or something.

I'd include first aid, but since the races probably have a medical staff on hand, leave that to the pros.

I already rode that
    Changing bike parts out during a race shouldnt make it to the light of day. Its just most prob mtb racers are ex roadies or race road too and enjoy that change bike crap.

MTBing is about just the rider bike and trail.

You know what would be a nice way to spice up the top pro's
    Make them start at the back of the pack. After all if they are so good then they shouldnt have a problem working their way up to the front of the pack.

May 2004
    The latest issue of Bike has an article about a guy on a roadbike winning a XC race. The XC guys complain saying it was unfair.....rofl. Reminds me of the guy that won that thing while "Under the influence of weed"....he deserved it if he won it! XC racing is funny now-a-days......unless its done on a 40+, single ring, FS, with DH tires

Jul 2004
    That rule is just plain dumb.

Jan 2004

money

I think it is becoming all about money. Advertisers won't support something unless it brings them money. Fans need to see their advertisements on the riders. Hence, many of the big races are lap courses. That way the advertiser gets more bang for the buck. Also, too many obstacles results in injuries, injuries increases the insurance cost. Higher insurance means more money needs to be brought in from advertisers and sponsors.

Where does it stop??
    Probably when the courses are so watered down that people are winning on cyclecross bikes and the riders and fans aren't impressedd anymore and stop coming. Then maybe the momentum will start in the other direction.......

rr
    I don't do PC
    CC racing is completely lame now, it used to represent what we all did with our buddies and we watched or attended the races because we wanted to see the best doing their thing. Now, it's a bunch of roadies on 22lb HT's that hardly anybody associates with. I remember going to the final Tour of the Rockies in 2000 and watching the CC stage which was on the Conti. Divide trail in Steamboat Springs and listening to the Pros ***** about the course being too rough and their bikes not handling the course too good, well, now we have bikes that can handle these rougher courses so why not return to these kinds of courses?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Try the Michaux races in PA

Those are some tough trails up there. Think Gambrill but w/ more rocks. Depending on the weather the slowest sport riders take almost 4 hours to do ~20 miles, and 3+ hours is pretty common.

I generally agree about most of the XC races around here though. I do the 24 hour events, the long one day events and the Michaux races.

Dave

May 2004
    One of the things I love about mtn biking and xc racing is that there's a much higher margin for error in mtn biking compared to road racing- If you crash in a mtb race, you can hop right back on and still be in contention. But if you crash in a road race, youre off the back of the pack and its game over. I like the individualism too- I really hate everything about the pack aspect of road racing. It seems like this new rule would up the pack aspect of mtn biking- now you'll have guys in mtb races who's sole purpose is to look after their star teammate. This in turn encourages big money teams. I think the poster above said it best-
    "Also, not everyone can AFFORD to have a full compliment of spare parts, tools and mechanics at several pits along the course. Far from leveling the playing field, it sounds like this rule will mostly only help the big, well-funded teams."
    And even that UCI wanker in the quote said how this will help those big-money guys in the event that they flat out! I absolutely hate the UCI. Theyve been sucking the fun from mtb racing for years, this is just the latest installment.

Jan 2004

?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    I'm just wondering if you have ever raced? XC, marathon, 24hr solo/team, stage stuff? Just curious.
    Do I know you?

The Riddler
    I was ranting.
    Last edited by Kaparzo; 09-11-2004 at 02:46 PM. Reason: ranting isn't cool

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I read somewhere that way back when (I think until the 1920s or 30s) the Tour De France had rules about replacement and no outside help for riders. There was also a time when dereilleurs were banned. And these were the days of unpaved muddy roads and 400+km (250+ mi) stages which started before dawn and ended after nightfall.

Riders rode fixed-gear bikes with 2 rear cogs, one on each side of the hub. When they reached a steep hill, they jumped off their bikes, flipped the rear wheel around and continued in a lower gear. There is one story about a rider jumping off at a blacksmith's on the route and fixing his bike (I'm not sure if it was a frame or wheel) there, in front of a race marshall, by himself, just like the rulebook said. The quick-release was invented by Tullio Campingniolo after getting frostbite in his hands while changing a tire on his bike during a race through the Croce dAune Pass in the Dolomites .

Basically, you can look at it both ways. Many of the things we now take for granted were once controversial novelties that took some of the sting and pain out of riding or racing. You could also argue that it takes the "soul" out of cycling (WTF that is). Personally, I think progress is good. If you want to ride or race by your own rules, there is nothing to stop you from starting your own circuit (and that includes the UCI). D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    CC racing is completely lame now, it used to represent what we all did with our buddies and we watched or attended the races because we wanted to see the best doing their thing. Now, it's a bunch of roadies on 22lb HT's that hardly anybody associates with. I remember going to the final Tour of the Rockies in 2000 and watching the CC stage which was on the Conti. Divide trail in Steamboat Springs and listening to the Pros ***** about the course being too rough and their bikes not handling the course too good, well, now we have bikes that can handle these rougher courses so why not return to these kinds of courses?
    Agree with this rroeder. However, I don't agree with most of the posters here that the new assistance rule is crap. I think it is about time they changed the old stupid rule. Mtb racing is not about duplicating the "just you and the bike" real part of riding. Its mtb racing. What needs to change is the fact that most races are now simply time trials on smooth dirt, glorified road races on dirty courses, and criteriums that can be won on road bikes. Thats the crap, not the assistance rule. Change the races, change the courses. Make it so the riders need to have mad mtb skills to win. Make it so the riders on 20 lb. hardails break their back or endo on their heads for choosing a glorified road bike to race on. Any dip sh!t can change a flat. I want to see some fu*king racing, not a blowhard roadie fixing a tire because of some lame hippie rule about "you and the bike are one".
    I AM JUST A JERK

Village Dirtbag
    Hey- the quick release was invented because he had to work on his OWN bike. If he had a nice, warm mechanic to do it for him we'd still be using wing nuts. I don't see how this is progress.

user-created

Time Trials!

I think the only way to get some MTB back in MTB racing is to run all XC as a time trial. Head to head racing does not lend it self well to singletrack or otherwise technical real-world trails.

In order to facilitate passing, XC races are run on fire roads with minimal tech or narrow. That's just lame.

Now, a time trial could be run over ridiculous terrain, and with riders staged a minute or so apart passing would be a non-isssue. Races could have huge climbs AND huge jumps. Trails would not be obliterated by a herd of off-roadies riding 5 wide.. Plus, from a spectator standpoint, this would hafta be better than watching the pack storm by in dust cloud, and then waiting a half-hour for the herd to come by the next lap.

And speaking of laps, that's just stupid too. Races should either be point-to-point or one huge azz loop.

And to get back to the point of this thread, outside assistance is an insult to what MTB really is. I've finished races with all kinds of shiat broken or missing from my bike; I've finished a lot of epic rides this way too. Isn't that what it's all about?

HEY JD: How about a point-to-point time trial from Loma to Mack, via Moore Fun, M. Ridge, and Troys. Tell me that wouldn't be righteous.
    Last edited by singletrack; 09-12-2004 at 02:08 AM.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Change the races, change the courses. Make it so the riders need to have mad mtb skills to win.
    Some consider the abilty to work on your own bike a key component of "mad mtb skills".

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Drugs should be allowed in races...

...Thus the spectators could drop some acid and actually enjoy something so dull as XC racing!
    Nicely put Linderman.
    Trev!

Jan 2004

doh

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    HEY JD: How about a point-to-point time trial from Loma to Mack, via Moore Fun, M. Ridge, and Troys. Tell me that wouldn't be righteous.
    It would be because we ride that route all of the time. I agree with your herd statements, they just aren't good for singletrack and singletrack is what mountain biking is about for many. As far as having to have a huge crowd and the "lookit me" factor involved, a time trial can be run any time you ride any trail and there doesn't need to be anyone there but you.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    I think the only way to get some MTB back in MTB racing is to run all XC as a time trial. Head to head racing does not lend it self well to singletrack or otherwise technical real-world trails.

In order to facilitate passing, XC races are run on fire roads with minimal tech or narrow. That's just lame.

Now, a time trial could be run over ridiculous terrain, and with riders staged a minute or so apart passing would be a non-isssue. Races could have huge climbs AND huge jumps. Trails would not be obliterated by a herd of off-roadies riding 5 wide.. Plus, from a spectator standpoint, this would hafta be better than watching the pack storm by in dust cloud, and then waiting a half-hour for the herd to come by the next lap.

And speaking of laps, that's just stupid too. Races should either be point-to-point or one huge azz loop.

And to get back to the point of this thread, outside assistance is an insult to what MTB really is. I've finished races with all kinds of shiat broken or missing from my bike; I've finished a lot of epic rides this way too. Isn't that what it's all about?

Its been done:

http://www.nsmb.com/community/ripper_02_04.php

http://www.nsmb.com/community/ripper_3course_05_04.php

but the first one is a relay (one rides up, the other rides down) - that's gonna change D.
    Last edited by Duncan!; 09-12-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Hey- the quick release was invented because he had to work on his OWN bike. If he had a nice, warm mechanic to do it for him we'd still be using wing nuts. I don't see how this is progress.
    Bike racing went to sh!t about the time :

1. People started training for races
    2. People started getting paid to race

D.

The Riddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    Bike racing went to sh!t about the time :

1. People started training for races
    2. People started getting paid to race

D.
    Sounds like everything else...although I like racing alot. It sounds like JD is opposed to organized, financially funded competition more than anything else. Not gonna keep me from throwing down my twenty bucks to go balls to the wall with my fellow racers, though I do enjoy endurance stuff more.

Primative Screwhead

That's right...

I read somewhere that way back when (I think until the 1920s or 30s) the Tour De France had rules about replacement and no outside help for riders. There is one story about a rider jumping off at a blacksmith's on the route and fixing his bike (I'm not sure if it was a frame or wheel) there, in front of a race marshall, by himself, just like the rulebook said. The quick-release was invented by Tullio Campingniolo after getting frostbite in his hands while changing a tire on his bike during a race through the Croce dAune Pass in the Dolomites .

...he was repairing his snapped fork.

He got his bike back together, but was later disqualified for allowing a young boy to pump the bellows on the forge (outside assistance).

XC courses should be way more technical, and longer than they currently are. I also agree with a poster above: if the elite are so good, perhaps they should ride with a little more finesse to avoid breakage, and choose components (ie. tyres/tubes) that are a little more durable rather than sacrificing reliability for weight loss.

Funny thing is, we have a local world cup rider in our state who is as skillful as they come, yet still manages to puncture 2 out of three world cup races he does. Hmm

My ten cents

F.
    MTB evangelist.

simply me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Change the races, change the courses. Make it so the riders need to have mad mtb skills to win. Make it so the riders on 20 lb. hardails break their back or endo on their heads for choosing a glorified road bike to race on. Any dip sh!t can change a flat. I want to see some fu*king racing, not a blowhard roadie fixing a tire because of some lame hippie rule about "you and the bike are one".
    ummm... you just described DH racing.

mtbr member
    I knew you'd have to have been thinking about those races! 'Specially the Great Divide ordeal. I sure wish I could afford to head out for weeks at a time to "race"!

Funny, after doing the Signal Peak Challenge (a very fun grass-rootsy XC race in NM), which rode on the CDT for a while, all I could think about were the few survivors that made it that far, and went on to finish the GD race. Not sure that racing it would be more satisfying than just riding it, but I'd do either if time/resources ever permitted! Indeed, knowing how to fend for yourself in all ways while "competing" is the nature of competition.

"Network Television"? Most all of TV is canned, or at least biased as all heck one way or another....

I lean like a cholo!

Awesome!!!

I am going to start XC racing because of this rule change! It will be the motivation for me to race!

Picture this, I jump on my XC bike, ride until I am close to a "pit stop" and case my wheels on the biggest rock I can see, instant taco! Then I limp into the pit stop and get a set of pimp Cross Maxs. Next the fork, crank, deraillers, etc. if I have a good frame by the end of the race I could have a totally b!tchin ride!

They will of course foot the bill for everything right? RIGHT?
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=J.D.] "lookit me" factor

Does the "lookit me factor" apply to the photo on your profile?

Jan 2004

?

[QUOTE=mtcali]
    "lookit me" factor

Does the "lookit me factor" apply to the photo on your profile?
    Do I know you?

Jan 2004

nah

Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    It sounds like JD is opposed to organized, financially funded competition more than anything else.
    I'm against anything that is detrimental to trails on public lands. It just so happens that some of that damage (a lot in some cases) is done by organized, financially funded competition.

The whole ride in a crowd scene, eat copious amounts of dust, and paying to ride trails are things that I find puzzling at best.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonkiwi
    ummm... you just described DH racing.
    Yes, well, eh, except I am not talking about DH racing. This post is about the new assistance rule, which most people here believe is crap. Fine, I really don't care what the rule is because XC racing sucks for bigger more important reasons.

How about this. A four hour very technical course with plenty of climbing and descending. The course will also have 10 zones where each rider must clear the section without dabbing or they will be assessed a time penalty. I don't know. The state of racing sucks and keeping the no assistance rule would have very little impact on that.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I'm against anything that is detrimental to trails on public lands. It just so happens that some of that damage (a lot in some cases) is done by organized, financially funded competition.

The whole ride in a crowd scene, eat copious amounts of dust, and paying to ride trails are things that I find puzzling at best.
    Paying to ride trails is the wave of the future, IMHO. In areas like the North Shore, volunteer-maintained trails can't cope with the traffic anymore (10,000 riders a month, or something like that, on some of them). Nevermind that only a miniscule protion of those riders actually put any work into maintaining the trails, and others brag about doing 5,6,7 shuttle runs down them on a single day. You wanna keep riding it, you pay for it. When 2 million people live within a 90 minute drive of a resource like that, user pay is inevitable. D.

Jan 2004

the future

Paying to ride trails is the wave of the future, IMHO. In areas like the North Shore, volunteer-maintained trails can't cope with the traffic anymore (10,000 riders a month, or something like that, on some of them). Nevermind that only a miniscule protion of those riders actually put any work into maintaining the trails, and others brag about doing 5,6,7 shuttle runs down them on a single day. You wanna keep riding it, you pay for it. When 2 million people live within a 90 minute drive of a resource like that, user pay is inevitable. D.
    If that's the future of all mountain biking, then I'm quitting. Then again, the North Shore is far from the be all to end all in mountain biking. As far as the dilweeds who brag about how manly (or womanly) they are when they don't even pedal up the hill, mountain biking has no use for them. As far as those who use trails and don't bother to help maintain them, mountain biking as no use for them either. I guess that's why I live in Grand Junction and not Vancouver. There are more mountain bikers per capita and fewer dilweeds.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    If that's the future of all mountain biking, then I'm quitting. Then again, the North Shore is far from the be all to end all in mountain biking. As far as the dilweeds who brag about how manly (or womanly) they are when they don't even pedal up the hill, mountain biking has no use for them. As far as those who use trails and don't bother to help maintain them, mountain biking as no use for them either. I guess that's why I live in Grand Junction and not Vancouver. There are more mountain bikers per capita and fewer dilweeds.
    The easy solution here is to go riding any place that is all but inaccessible to cars. Dilweeds don't seem to spread very far from the parking lots or up hills:

http://www.suttonsbaytrading.com/Spi...rbs/20659.html