Thread: MTB Korea

mtbr member

MTB Korea

Hey all. This is my first post here so I just thought I'd introduce myself before jumping into other people's threads.

I live and work in Seoul, South Korea. There's a really vibrant scene here and I ride with the core group of guys from my LBS, the wonderfully named "We Play Bike." Their riding skills are better than their English skills thankfully and they've really helped me to improve my riding lately.

We ride cross country and all mountain, the latter usually though, as Korea is basically just one big mountain range and there is no lack of fast single track, heavy descents and hard-core technical sections here.

The pics are from a week or two ago at about 3:00am. I rode the same trail last night and I'm just destroyed today, but I've got a grin from ear to ear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    fantastic! I was stationed at Casey bak in 90 and 91 before I got into biking and remember taking hikes with the locals over some glorious terrain.

mtbr member
    hello and welcome. whaddya do out there if you dont mind my askin.

mtbr member
    I write English books and other ESL study materials for a living for a medium-sized Korean company. With the advent of spring and a couple of races coming up I spend a lot of time looking out the window thinking about riding, though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do people ride the same bikes as the states over there or do they have Korean made bikes?

My Ass is My Pilot
    What are those Cranks that guy's riddin' on the Scott hard tail?
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

808+909 = Party Good Time
    rockin..

mtbr member
    @ Jinya1004--There is a Korean brand called "Elfama," and they even have a high-end titanium frame, but most serious riders go for regular brands like Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, etc. I personally ride a Merida Mission 3000. It's basically an Epic (Merida have a 30% stake in Specialized) and I'm loving it after my old Giant Yukon.

@ ashpioletrev--They're sweet huh? That guy only ever came out with us once and I've really got no idea what brand his cranks are. I'll ask at the LBS and see if they've got any answers.

mtbr member
    I write English books and other ESL study materials for a living for a medium-sized Korean company.
    cool! howd that happen? curious because several friends have taken up teaching esl overseas (from the states) in asia. they always say how fun it is, and it makes me wonder what the experience would be like.

mtbr member
    Good stuff man. I was in korea for a year and I wish I had been into biking then. I would have spent more time on the trails than sitting in my room video gaming, hehe.

mtbr member
    @ Snowden. I started at a small private cram school here, gained experience and got a better job. If you've got a BA degree it's very easy thing to get a job here, you just have to jump through some hoops with immigration these days. PM me for details.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Very nice. I have biked with Jerry and some of the other guys in Seoul (pics of the trails and riders are on my site).

Some of the folks in your pics look familiar.

If I had a week to live I would head back to Seoul, you have some of the best riding ever.

And definitely the best food!
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

wanna dance?
    Looks like fun!
    Very cool to get a glimpse of cycling there.
    If you've got more, post em!

mtbr member
    The food is very good at times and the terrain is fantastic.

Some more pics of riding near Seoul.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi, if ya ever wanna come down to Pyeongteak look me up an we'll show you some local trails. Welcome !

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Said Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times at Ridgemont High): Hey, I know that dude.

I heard you had some kind of accident and were healing. Any truth to that rumor?

Hope all is well. I get to china once a quarter but haven't made it back to seould in a while.

mtbr member
    The food is making me hungry. Except for the upper right quadrant. What is it?????
    And a good day to you sir!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nucmedjim
    The food is making me hungry. Except for the upper right quadrant. What is it?????
    Probably best to stick with the "don't ask, don't tell".

Probably delicious.

Probably something disgusting.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member

Near Uijongbu

I loved riding in Korea. Often I would ride from CRC to Seoul. One of my favorite rides was out the back gate at CRC, take a left, go up the mountain, down past the first set of rolling hills and turn left into the woods. There was a trail that would wind its way through the woods, eventually leaving you out in the vicinity of the resort- from there, it was the road to the main roadway (can 't remember the rte #, but it was the same road going from Cp jackson to the main gate at CRC); down that big hill, and back into CRC- though often I would stop at Jimmies (VFW- what a great Mo$%&#F#%$@!) for a beer. Appreciate the pics.

mtbr member
    The dude's not me. I would be the caucasian guy in the fox top (I was trying not to monopolize the photos, kinda throw in some of the guys I ride with). He's fine though, wrecked his knee skiing and has recently recovered from surgery. Absolute top guy is "Ultra."

Pyeongteak sounds like a lot of fun. Are you coming to the Gor Yang rally this Friday Gerry? There's a whole lot of really fun fast single track out there, just hope this rain lets up before then. It's going to be my first ever race and totally pumped for it, we rode some of the course a couple of weekends ago and it's really easy terrain, much more cross-country than all mountain.

The food? It totally rocked my world after a cold winter's ride in Ui Jong Bu. That pic's from a few months ago. It's a really good oyster restaurant, and the fresh ones at the top right were really good with a few shots of soju. If it's "don't ask, don't tell" you seek, remind me to tell you all about "San Nak Ji," "Bo Shin Tang" or "Bon Dae Gi" sometime. Interesting to say the least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I live in Incheon, near Seoul, and love the riding here. However there are few flow trails, all of it is straight up or down. Fun none the less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You're lying, Incheon is NOT near seoul

I hate the bus ride in from the airport. You spend a full day getting from the states to Incheon and it feels like a second day getting to Seoul.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    [QUOTE=PDKL45]Pyeongteak sounds like a lot of fun. Are you coming to the Gor Yang rally this Friday Gerry?

No, didn't know about it. We rarely ride with the locals like yourself. So we don't get all the good event info. I used to ride w/ the LBS and had alot of fun going to a couple races in Yongin, and Chuchun sp? I'd like to start up some event trips again, maybe I'll talk my riding buds into some future ones. The last few years I 've been riding Songtan, Asan, and Deajeon, for the most part.

mtbr member
    "I'd like to start up some event trips again, maybe I'll talk my riding buds into some future ones."

The 280 rally is coming up on the 28th/29th of June. 36 hours to ride 280 kms.

www.280rally.com (Sorry, but it's all in hangul--PM me for details or to meet up for a ride sometime)

Hopefully I'll see you there.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Your eyes scare me...

El Mas Chingon
    I just moved back to the states after a year in Korea. Unfortunately I lived in Daegu where the biking scene was scarce plus the lack of a car limited my road trips. I would go to Seoul every now and then and hookup with my military buddies and they had a pretty well organized group ride on Saturdays leaving from McDonalds in Itaewon. Also Osan AirBase has some organized rides. Also check these guys out they are freeriders but they are definitely willing to help a fellow biker out. http://www.mtbk-adventure.com/
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Your eyes scare me...

Do not fear the X-ray vision my friend...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sounds pretty grouling, think I'll pass on that one, unless it's all downhill ! Gravity is my friend because I'm fat and slow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJERRY
    Sounds pretty grouling, think I'll pass on that one, unless it's all downhill ! Gravity is my friend because I'm fat and slow
    I understand entirely. I did the Gor Yang Rally 100 yesterday and it was just insane. I was actually hallucinating a little on one of the last trails, the bastard thing just kept going up and then it went up some more. After a little walk through some abandoned army sandbagged trenches, stumbling over old tires, we were ready to tackle the rocks. Near vertical, sharp and basically trail-less. There was a rope for hikers to pull themselves up with and we had our bikes as well. It was at that point I swore quite loudly in two or three languages. Still, the satisfaction of actually finishing a 16 hour marathon and the sense of achievement was worth all the pain.

≈ > ♥
    There's decent riding all over Korea... definately a fun place to be with a bike.

Jisan resort is opening up again in a week (15th), if you guys are into lift-assisted gravity trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    There's decent riding all over Korea... definately a fun place to be with a bike.

Jisan resort is opening up again in a week (15th), if you guys are into lift-assisted gravity trails.
    Sounds like fun, but I'm thinking of getting a more solid bike for serious downhill. Something along the lines of the "medium" in your harem.

What is that bike btw? Looks real nice.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 06-07-2008 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim

Where abouts is that, it sounds familiar but cant remember. Those trails intense ? Anything a Mojo couldn't soak up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PDKL45
    There was a rope for hikers to pull themselves up with and we had our bikes as well.
    There's a place in Asan like that, usually the hikers we pass are mumbling something like " why would they bring bicycles here ?" with a confused look on their face.
    Just our 3-4 hr. rides like that on the weekends will wear me out. Can't imagine a marathon with that kind of punishment !

≈ > ♥
    Jisan is pretty close to Everland.

Bikey is a Bottlerocket, and is perfect for DH in Korea. 9" is way to much for racecourses here... have found meduim travel with a big fork is where it's at.
    Koreans don't like chunder, so all purpose built trails they've built at resorts are pretty smooth with the odd kicker for race day thrown in.
    Actual mountain trails and ridgelines are way chunkier, and lots more fun. Have you guys tried the trails on the far side of Namhansanseong: Bug mountain? We do shuttles there, the funnest riding we've yet seen here.

mtbr member
    A lot of my night photos are of Nam Han San Seong. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's probably the same spot. Is Bug Mountain where the OD Bike rally goes? We usually ride the 2 trails of the half-course from about midnight to 4:30 or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'll try to check it out Sun. !
    Last edited by GTJERRY; 06-10-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0