On Mountain Biking and Mountain Bikes- Mtbr.com
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

On Mountain Biking and Mountain Bikes

This started out as a ride to Seymour to find some classic drops to flat. Found some on Team Pangor, Boogeyman and Dirty Diapers of the 2' to 4' variety. Was heading down to Neds to do the classic 5 foot to flat in the middle of the race course and the dorps to falt at the end of the trail till the camera decided to stop working

This is for all the people who try to pigeonhole mountain bikes into rigid categories. Over analysis can suck the joy out of the sport.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Or on the other hand maybe we can have an alpha numeric designation... like the dewey decimal system. The first letter represents the designation (XC,DH,M, etc.) the second letter is the intended focus (I,N) the third is a rating 1-5. E.g., this bike might be FR.I.5.XC.IN.4..37HK.3.57.DH.N.1 i think this is nice and makes the sport more fun! we can compare numbers!!

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post

This started out as a ride to Seymour to find some classic drops to flat. Found some on Team Pangor, Boogeyman and Dirty Diapers of the 2' to 4' variety. Was heading down to Neds to do the classic 5 foot to flat in the middle of the race course and the dorps to falt at the end of the trail till the camera decided to stop working

This is for all the people who try to pigeonhole mountain bikes into rigid categories. Over analysis can suck the joy out of the sport.
    Good stuff LL
    Agree on the anaysis.
    rep

This place needs an enema
    Looked like freehuckin' AMgnar to me.

Add a packraft or a shuttle vehicle and we can upgrade you.

Hooded menace
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post

Do you have Avid brakes?

Trail Connoisseur
    Nice video, sweeeeet trail! As a really light weight rider (125lbs), I've been riding AM on a XC without ever giving it a thought!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Do you have Avid brakes?
    The howling gives it away so easily

Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Nice video, sweeeeet trail! As a really light weight rider (125lbs), I've been riding AM on a XC without ever giving it a thought!
    There you go defying those neat compartmentalized categories. Bravo

Picture Unrelated
    I hate these meaningless designations between types of riding so much so I definitely appreciate the video. Looks like some really fun riding too.

Maybe we can implement a rating system like climbing uses so we can all better spend our time arguing what the rating on a certain trail is instead of if it's "AM" or not. I can't wait for "dude, that trail isn't 'All Mountain' unless it's at least a 5.10c!". I almost started crying with fear just by typing that fake statement.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    i'm designated in the jealous group when it comes to seeing vid from the pacnw! nice trails LeeL! tryin to head it up to Washington in the fall and up to bc as well! fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    There is no doubt that trans 29 will be my next bike, after i graduate school. However you are not making it easy to hold off on the purchase of this bike.
    cool video
    Last edited by blumena84; 04-30-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Big Boy
    I think that area has some really good turkey hunting!!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I hate these meaningless designations between types of riding so much so I definitely appreciate the video. Looks like some really fun riding too.

Maybe we can implement a rating system like climbing uses so we can all better spend our time arguing what the rating on a certain trail is instead of if it's "AM" or not. I can't wait for "dude, that trail isn't 'All Mountain' unless it's at least a 5.10c!". I almost started crying with fear just by typing that fake statement.
    A "universal" rating system ... I like it (kind of, but not really). Many other outdoor sports have one, ie, climbing, skiing/snowboarding, river running, even surfing w/ wave height reports (which are wildly inconsistent).

No one really knows what the ratings mean in those sports, either. The ratings can be helpful to know what you're up against, what equipment to bring, etc., and give you local and regional bragging rights "bro, just rode a 3.5AM this afternoon, sweet trail ..." or "no way that trail's a 3.5AM in BC ... maybe 2.2 tops!"

And the same ratings bring about plenty of bickering, arguing, and name-calling in those sports (just like they would here). Would only make this forum more entertaining.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Hmm

The one thing i do like about there not being a rating, is that when i go up to to a biker that i know is from colorado and say i just went to white ranch and dusted the Maverick single track, I really enjoy the look they give you because they know the difficulties of that particular trail. Once a standard is in place I kinda cheapens that local bragging right feeling. However it would be nice since it would give you a way to communicate your skill level based on the rating of trail you are proficient at.
    I love when I have extra money, but I never have time when I have extra money...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by meh2u View Post
    The one thing i do like about there not being a rating, is that when i go up to to a biker that i know is from colorado and say i just went to white ranch and dusted the Maverick single track, I really enjoy the look they give you because they know the difficulties of that particular trail. Once a standard is in place I kinda cheapens that local bragging right feeling. However it would be nice since it would give you a way to communicate your skill level based on the rating of trail you are proficient at.
    I was kidding, there would be nothing worse than everyone's unending arguments about why their trails deserve to be rated a 7 like the ones in BC or whatever it ends up. I actually like not knowing what a trail is going to be like, it's more fun that way.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Members who have read this thread: 0