Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

most unfriendly places for mountain biking

I really like the mtb paradise thread. Those places are beautiful and its cool that entire mtb communities of riders have developed there. Never take that great riding or having friends to ride with there for granted.

But it got me thinking that I'd really like to hear from those who are creative and/or persistent enough in finding ways to enjoy the sport living in places where riding is limited, few people understand or care about your enthusiasm for mtb, and/or there's few or no decent LBS's to support your interest.

So where are these places? What are the biggest challenges of riding there? How have you overcome them?

mtbr member
    Here's what I'm thinking for riding might be challenging:

Somalia. Those pirates would be all over you trying to steal your bike, helmet, gloves, etc. Hopefully they'd let you keep your clothes.

Taliban strongholds of Afganistan would probably suck. Those f*ckers all ride horses and probably don't allow any fair bike access to the state parks.

Haiti - good luck finding a good bike shop with an expresso machine.

Boston - a bunch of unfriendly drunken Ma$$holes who find it sporting to run bikers off the road.

gravity fighter
    Marin County/Bay Area should be up there on the list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O

Somalia. Those pirates would be all over you trying to steal your bike, helmet, gloves, etc. Hopefully they'd let you keep your clothes.

Taliban strongholds of Afganistan would probably suck. Those f*ckers all ride horses and probably don't allow any fair bike access to the state parks.

Boston - a bunch of unfriendly drunken Ma$$holes who find it sporting to run bikers off the road.
    HEY IM FROM BOSTON YOU'Z IDIOT

On wuss patrol
    PDX...agro-enviros...Forest Park...no more needs to be said.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

commie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito
    What is your personal experience with living/riding in the Marin County/Bay Area?

What makes you think that the riding in the Bay Area "is limited, few people understand or care about your enthusiasm for mtb, and/or there's few or no decent LBS's to support your interest"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thats got to be a joke.

Marin is the one of best places to ride in the bay. The only issue with bay area riding has to be the state parks making single track only hiker/horse friendly. Which is way more prevalent in the East Bay than the North Bay.

mtbr member
    Chicagoloand pretty much sucks for mountain biking and cycling. On the roads motorists are complete $$holes and extremely dangerous. They yell and throw sh*t at you. Mountain biking wise there simply aren't good trails. If you find a trail you'll have to ride through swarms of mosquitoes and the weather will probably suck. Brutally cold winters, ridiculously humid summers. The people generally don't like to exercise and don't understand the attraction to bicycles. As a cyclist and mountain biker when I moved to Colorado my quality of life went up astronomically.

2wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Chechnya would probably suck for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    We're talking about Mountain Biking right? Right. Then Boston is one of the best large cities in the US for riding, and the best in the northeast. There are tons of trails tucked in everywhere, and some of the most technical and cared for AM riding you'll find anywhere. However, i could never live there because i'm not a huge fan of the people there either. That's just a personal preference though. It also cost as much as NYC to live around there, and it isn't NYC. The Boston MTB community is unfortunately littered with jerks that give all decent moraled riders a bad name. Openly drinking in the lot, changing openly in the lot, with no regard for people outside of the community or the impact it has on others in the community.

One of the worst places for MTB that i'm aware of is the Adirondack State Park in upstate NY. The Adirondacks are huge, and beautiful. However Mountain biking is not allowed in the majority of the park. So it gets my vote because there is so much potential there that isn't allowed to be tapped. The Dax could be a Mountain bike destination and the area could really benefit from the money. Instead the center of the Dax is littered with struggling towns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    We're talking about Mountain Biking right? Right. . Openly drinking in the lot, changing openly in the lot, with no regard for people outside of the community or the impact it has on others in the community. .
    Yes, talking about mtb in Boston. In addition to what you point out above, there are also naked dudes jogging through the woods all year long and the cops do nothing about it.

I think that was me openly drinking and changing in the lot. Sorry.

CEO Product Failure
    Gotta go with S. F L O R I D A for this list. There are two, maybe three good trails (Oleta, Markham, Amelia) but after that, not so much. The guys who build and maintain Markham especially should be recognized in creating such a beautiful Oasis amidst the sweltering heat and humidity. To ride Markham (or any trail) requires 1.5-to-2 times the amount of frustrating windshield time. Yeah you could ride to the trail and arrive sooner but you would never arrive alive. Road rides? Make sure your life insurance is current. It's not so much the climate/geography as it is the transient S. FL society. Their ideals and lifestyle do not value (1) other's, (2) other people in general, or (3)physical activity.

Apologies in advance to any S. Florida residents. I sympathize with your demise.

mtbr member
    I think that was me openly drinking and changing in the lot. Sorry.
    It's a problem. It ticks me off because i would love to booze it up in the lot but i'm plagued by my consideration for others.

I've seen plenty of Mass plates drinking in the lots at Mt A in Maine. The lot is only a pull off of the side of the main road.

Vermonter to the Core

I have to agree about Boston.. the riding may be good but in general the people are a bunch of jacka$$es....

For my vote, the worst place to ride is where they do not allow riding!!
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic
    Chechnya would probably suck for mountain biking.
    I don't know. They do have some good mountains there.

bringer of doom
    Boulder, Co.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2
    I have to agree about Boston.. the riding may be good but in general the people are a bunch of jacka$$es....

JEM
    Oh, and I forgot to add Vermont to my list as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Eastbay stinks. The legal single track is measued in yards instead of miles.There are way too many loose dogs and hikers.I hear rangers give speeding tickets also.

mtbr member
    Santa Barbara. Don't forget your cowbells...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One of the worst places for MTB that i'm aware of is the Adirondack State Park in upstate NY. The Adirondacks are huge, and beautiful. However Mountain biking is not allowed in the majority of the park. So it gets my vote because there is so much potential there that isn't allowed to be tapped. The Dax could be a Mountain bike destination and the area could really benefit from the money. Instead the center of the Dax is littered with struggling towns.
    This is changing. There are several groups working on opening mtb access and building trails across the area. Granted, the area has been slow to embrace mtb's but ADK and NY/NJ Trail Conference have warmed up to mtb's in the past few years, which helps. Plus local govt's are starting to get clued into the potential $$$ that mtb destinations can bring in. Progress... at the speed of government, but at least things are moving in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Oregon sucks! If your from California you don't want to come here. Only 500 miles of singletrack in Lane county alone, no good events unless you count MBO, Fat55, Cascade Cream Puff. Riding old growth forest, tight switchy singletrack, high Cascades, beautiful rivers trails, gets old after awhile. Forget Post canyon, Fall Creek, Hood River, the MRT, the NUT, Phils trails, OROR, it's all the same ol same ol, endless sweet single track. nothing to see here folks.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Give it a crank
    Most unfriendly is road biking on any street. I gave it up when cars were passing 6 inches from my handlebar. Not very friendly anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've only ridden a couple of places but Marin County, where I ride, seems to be pretty unfriendly. I went for a lunchtime ride yesterday at China Camp. There were approximately 8 hikers 2 runners and 10 cyclist that I passed and said hello to. Only one cyclist responded by saying hi in return. I might have gotten a half nod from another cyclist. Either way, seemed pretty unfriendly to me.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    LaSalle, Ontario.

The council passed a local bylaw banning "active recreation" in the town park, woodlots with great singletrack loops became off limit with the sweep of a pen.

There was no scientific study done to support their claim of trail damage by bikers, just some busy bodies who didn't like kids riding too close to their backyards.

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/n...1-775e442d2add

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Lexington, KY.

A little trail in town that isn't great.

Morehead is an hour to the east. Great riding.

No public lands in Fayette Co. to build trails on.

Grew up there, but will never move back.

Life is Go0d!
    Near any group of roadies?
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    What is your personal experience with living/riding in the Marin County/Bay Area?

What makes you think that the riding in the Bay Area "is limited, few people understand or care about your enthusiasm for mtb, and/or there's few or no decent LBS's to support your interest"?
    'ole mikecito must have ran into Terri Avillar and her gang of stick carriers. I've lived in Marin for 23 years and sometimes I don't want to leave and ride anywhere else.

Perception and reality of the trails crash into each other here. Sure, it's unfriendly some of the time, but the best riding is when you don't run into ANYBODY.

you do this at my size
    A friend lived in Boston for a year, she had her bike stolen in the first 3 months and then a loaner bike stolen a week later.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    my neighbors flower garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Honolulu/ Oahu kinda sucks for anything legal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Eastern slope of Woodside, CA. These people are unfriendly and evil period.

Hermit
    US National Park system.

Yeah, but you knew that.

Allegheny National Forest, PA. They took away the mtb rights on the majority of the good trails a while back. They have the most restrictive mtb policy of any of the eastern Nat'l Forests, as far as I can tell.

The county I work in has no legal mtb trails - Mahoning County, northeast Ohio. Got a great big municipal park, but no mtb trails. That's the Youngstown area.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik

Whoa there. I think the trail conflicts around the Bay well known and old news. Sorry my little quip got your blood pressure up.

For the record, my friends and I started "mountain biking" with BMX bikes all over the Oakland Hills in the late 70's. Even back then we would get the stink eye from park rangers.

I'm happy to live in Washington now with beautiful singletrack and very few user conflicts.

too cold to ride
    NE Ohio. One legal trail in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland). It's 2.5 miles long.

What do I get for winning the topic? Can I move to Boulder?
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21
    ...Marin is the one of best places to ride in the bay...
    That's like being the best ski hill in Saudi Arabia.

commie
    Whoa there. I think the trail conflicts around the Bay well known and old news. Sorry my little quip got your blood pressure up.

For the record, my friends and I started "mountain biking" with BMX bikes all over the Oakland Hills in the late 70's. Even back then we would get the stink eye from park rangers.

I'm happy to live in Washington now with beautiful singletrack and very few user conflicts.

You didn't get my blood pressure up. You just made me laugh with your inane claims.

So your personal experience with living/riding in the Marin County/Bay Area is in the 70s riding BMX bikes in the Oakland hills.

That's meaningless.

Is it just what you've read/imagine or do you have some specific information to support your silly claim?

commie
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    That's like being the best ski hill in Saudi Arabia.
    Why?

bringer of doom
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    Ha, I wasn't being sarcastic about Boulder... a roadie/cross paradise it may be, but a MTB-friendly place it is definitely not. You might as well live in Denver for all the driving you're going to have to do to do any MTBing.
    Ride on, Anthony.

Ride Responsibly
    Oroville used to suck, but over the years things have gotten much better, damn good in fact, with more in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    UAE, Dubai
    1. We have 2 trails both of them an hour and a half away from the city
    2. We can't ride outside the city since it's all desert and the closest mountains are those 2 trails
    3. Our riding season only starts now since its cooled down enough with temps being in the high 90's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Southern Maryland.

No real trails nearby. By that I mean pretty much anything south of Waldorf. Roseryville is fun. Not much tech but man you can high ring that entire loop. 9 mile loop that's like a roller coaster. It's about a 20 minute drive north of Waldorf. Further north is Patapsco, Gambrils, the Shed, etc.

OTOH, if you're a roadie, S. Md. is great.

Currently in Exile
    Minot, ND could be up there on the list. Long winters, no mountains, no MTB community. But on the flip side, we do have a good shop in town, there are a few miles of trail just outside of the city, and the people are generally friendly.

Fargo on the other hand has NO trails at all. So I think it would have to win.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Wow, talk about stereotyping Boston. The fact that there is a larger percentage of mountain bikers who are disrespectful doesn't mean we all are, and it also doesn't mean it's unfriendly for mountain biking. There's great riding around here with some of the best maintained trails I've seen. Ever ridden Otis, Lynn Woods, Harold Parker, Trail of Tears, Vietnam, etc? All great riding.

I happen to be a very respectful rider and I have lived in Boston most of my life. I have never changed or drank in a parking lot I wasn't supposed to, I stay off the trails when they're wet, participate in trail maintenance and am very friendly on the trail.

mtbr member

Smile

I second the street riding deal! Why put yourself at risk of some bonehead driver who is probably drunk or texting or both? At least in the woods if you crash, it's your own stupid fault, most things in the woods stay put and all you have to do is avoid hitting them.

I'm thinking I wouldn't want to ride in Afganistan, Iraq, Iran, Russia, North Korea, Outer Mongolia, on Mercury, Venus, Pluto or any of the moons of Jupiter.
    Mountain bike riding is the new dirt bike riding. It's cheaper and you don't get shot at as often.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2

Good then Stay away. However , I have had people from all over the world emailing me asking for information about Vietnam , and I have gladly given the information and offered to be a tour guide. I have given lots of tours . ( the farthest being New Zeland ) and since when is an after ride Beer a crime ?
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Pikangikum Ontario. Stuck in the middle of the bush, but not a single decent trail to ride, there are some crappy garbage strewn trails but they are never dry and you are more than likely to run into kids sniffing gas on them, even the roads suck, too many ATVs, wild dogs are a constant threat, the mountain bike community consists of my wife and I, closest bike shop is 6 hours drive and too top it all off it's raining today.

At least when the long cold winter sets in we can ride the ice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    Wow, talk about stereotyping Boston. The fact that there is a larger percentage of mountain bikers who are disrespectful doesn't mean we all are, .
    I'm sorry, were you trying to downplay the stereotype or support it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk
    and since when is an after ride Beer a crime ?
    Really? Wow. Maybe the problem is just that the people in the lots aren't aware of the law.

Having beers after a ride is cool with me as long as it is hidden from plain sight, and that includes from other users of the park. I'm a huge beer drinker and a drunk for the most part. I would love to hang out in the lot or trail head and have a few, and i have; but not at the expense of promoting a negative stereotype of mountain biking. Do some good and spread the word.

I've encountered more cool riders that not from the Boston Metro. But i've also witnessed the worst trailhead or lot etiquette in the Bos Metro and/or from people from the Bos Metro riding elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Hehe - no kidding, I think if you add up all the lines in Ray's INDOOR mountain bike park (in Cleveland) you have as much or more mileage than the one "real" trail outside...crazy!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    South jersey.

mtbr member
    idbrian - Let me try to be a little serious for once on this forum...so I guess you're the guy that sees a speed limit of 55 mph and then always drive that exact speed, not 1mph over, right? No, I bet you're like everyone else that drives a little bit above the posted speed limit because its accepted and its common sense. Same argument with having a few beers in the lot after a ride. Plenty of times we've been in a lot post-ride and the cops have pulled through, seen us having a few, asked how the riding is, and moved on. I can't think of one example over the last 20 years of anyone getting out of hand in a parking lot after a ride? Can you give us one example? And as far as seeing people changing in public - do you really think this is a regional thing and people in Boston like whipping it out in public? I have never seen this! Maybe you're just looking for it a bit too much.

I think you cna look at the Boston area and see on the most active/progressive/successful mtb advocacy groups in the country. For that I say thanks to them for doing an outstanding job of building relationships with land managers, building trails, BUYING LAND TO PRESERVE TRAILS, creating maps/kiosks, hosting rides, and not getting naked in the parking lost (sounds like a bunch of rude jerks, huh?). Think I'll ride Vietnam tonight.

(BTW, you wouldn't happen to be a Yankees fan, would you?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @ 92gli - and all points on the Eastern Shore... unless you're a roadie and you like dodging horse poo in the Amish lanes while passing cornfield after cornfield in pancake flatness. It's a huntin' fishin' truck drivin' paradise. Glad my time there is long over.

Paul
    Jun 2010
    The Hood

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by p.doering
    Ha, I wasn't being sarcastic about Boulder... a roadie/cross paradise it may be, but a MTB-friendly place it is definitely not. You might as well live in Denver for all the driving you're going to have to do to do any MTBing.
    You weren't being sarcastic, you were only being misinformed.

City of Boulder has 48 miles of trail open to bikes.
    Boulder county has 46 miles of trail open to bikes.
    National forest to the west has ??? many miles of trail open to bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    UTAH if you have hair on your face, expect descrimination. I bike there often and love the trails but I talk to fellow MTBers and ignore the locals. There is a Moron Church edict against facial hair.
    Gooseberry IS my favorite trail.
    Was once told by a waitress in SLC, "If you want to have fun, go to Colorado!"
    Now I confront bigotry.
    agmtb

bringer of doom
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    You weren't being sarcastic, you were only being misinformed.

City of Boulder has 48 miles of trail open to bikes.
    Boulder county has 46 miles of trail open to bikes.
    National forest to the west has ??? many miles of trail open to bikes.
    Oh, I was misinformed. I guess living there those years was bad info. Call it a trail if you want, but, long as it is, paved walking path doesn't count as mountain biking, nor does that stretch of flat disused access road out by the resevoir.

The county has a little, and the rest of the state of course has what it has, but Boulder, no. There were some very nice local trails, but MTB'ers lost access to those decades ago already, and the attitude is still thoroughly one of hostility toward the sport. Anyone who was part of trying to open the Valmont bike park got can fill you in on how deep it runs.
    Last edited by p.doering; 09-02-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    (BTW, you wouldn't happen to be a Yankees fan, would you?)
    I don't like baseball. Red Sox fans got quite the chip on their shoulders huh? Like the younger brother that could never live up to the expectations set by the big brother. This is partially what makes Boston people annoying. I don't even like baseball and have to catch crap about the Yankees all the time.

I like the riding around Boston a lot. I just don't mesh with Boston people well. Not individually, i just couldn't live there. They aren't my kind of people. So this back and forth isn't even appropriate for the thread.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Boy, who would have thought that this thread would get people pissed off and offended
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I don't like baseball.
    That's what they all say. Is that you in the center or are you the guy on the right?

mtbr member
    You're doing it right now Scott-O, that is what Boston people care and talk about. I don't care.

No, i'm the guy with the "Yankees Suck" bumper sticker on my car. Because that is what is cool.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    UTAH if you have hair on your face, expect descrimination. I bike there often and love the trails but I talk to fellow MTBers and ignore the locals. There is a Moron Church edict against facial hair.
    Now I confront bigotry.
    I live in Utah (non-Mormon) and have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should put an aluminum foil hat on your head, so the Aliens/Mormons can't beam thoughts into your head.

BMX:Our Shining Future

friendlyunfriendly Montana

Montana is very friendly when it's not unfriendly. The trails are bountiful when they don't have rattlesnakes coiled up and hissing in the middle of them. The towns are friendly when you meet the friendly members of the town. Then you meet the unfriendly members of the town and the town turns unfriendly in an instant. The department of the Interior is friendly to bicycle riders most of the time. Then they close down trails and it turns unfriendly at that time on that trail. I do encourage friendly type of bicycle riders to visit Montana and ride. Also I do discourage unfriendly type bicycle riders from visiting Montana. These unfriendly bicycle riders I encourage to visit IdaKnow.

mtbr member

Illinois sucks ass

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour
    Chicagoloand pretty much sucks for mountain biking and cycling. On the roads motorists are complete $$holes and extremely dangerous. They yell and throw sh*t at you. Mountain biking wise there simply aren't good trails.
    I couldn't agree more. Having lived here for almost all of my 39 years, It sucks if you enjoy doing anything active out of doors other than "ball" sports and spending money at malls. If it weren't for my family and friends - I'd be outta here.

Even the states that border Illinois like Wisconsin, Indiana and over into Michigan have way better attitudes and access towards outdoor recreation and cycling. It's astounding how lame Illinois is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Whistler...........when you show-up on your early 90's rig with biopace, suspension stem and anodized purple bar ends, cold man, just cold.

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc
    Whistler...........when you show-up on your early 90's rig with biopace, suspension stem and anodized purple bar ends, cold man, just cold.

Why you gotta dog on Biopace, man???

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Really? Wow. Maybe the problem is just that the people in the lots aren't aware of the law.

Having beers after a ride is cool with me as long as it is hidden from plain sight, and that includes from other users of the park.
    Did I forget to mention that The trail head parking lot is my front yard ?

Jumping to conclusions along with making blanket statements is just stupid and Ignorant as is an awful lot of this bashing going on in this thread .

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Same argument with having a few beers in the lot after a ride. Plenty of times we've been in a lot post-ride and the cops have pulled through, seen us having a few, asked how the riding is, and moved on. I can't think of one example over the last 20 years of anyone getting out of hand in a parking lot after a ride?
    I have had the same thing happen many times and the cops have never hassled us.

Think I'll ride Vietnam tonight.
    Sounds like a plan to me , I think I will do the same. Meet Smokin Joe at the Adams St. lot

mtbr member

Dude,

I'm 48, work in Boston and live in the exurbs. Respect the trails and the riders respect you. I'm including the equistrians and hikers, too. I ride public and private and respect the trails and property laws. No problem here, and I honk on the trails.

I consider myself very lucky with the amount of trail access literally right out my back door.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Boy, who would have thought that this thread would get people pissed off and offended
    Yeah, I was just curious if other places sucked for MTBing as much as where I live, the fast food capital of PA. Its been cool hearing about so many places I've never ridden in but I gotta admit that the dude from North Dakota might have us all beat though!

In any case, keep riding everybody! Anyone can ride some aspen-line Rockies singletrack but it takes nothing less than a truly dedicated mountain biker to deal with the crappy trails where we live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk
    Did I forget to mention that The trail head parking lot is my front yard ?

Jumping to conclusions along with making blanket statements is just stupid and Ignorant as is an awful lot of this bashing going on in this thread .
    I was talking about drinking openly in the lot and then you said since when is drinking beers after riding illegal. If you were talking about your yard why even bother commenting. Weird.

mtbr member
    I was talking about drinking openly in the lot and then you said since when is drinking beers after riding illegal. If you were talking about your yard why even bother commenting. Weird.
    Stilll waiting for you to give some specific examples of how awful people in MA/Boston are. That's ok, you can just make blanket generalizations about a group of people if that's your m.o. I'll refrain from making similar generalizations of NY'ers and apologize to you for some good natured ribbing in regards to the Sox/Yankees.

Circus - thanks for the invite. Hit Foxy instead. Idbrian would have hated it - It was like the movie, "Caligula", in the parking lot post-ride!

mtbr member
    The truth is that i have no friends here to drink with in the lot, so i'm jealous.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry, were you trying to downplay the stereotype or support it?
    He made it sound like everybody from the Boston area was like this. Most stereotypes have some truth to them, but it doesn't make it right to judge people based on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The truth is that i have no friends here to drink with in the lot, so i'm jealous.

Simple you need to come ride with us

mtbr member
    That Vietnam and Lynn woods **** is intriguing but way beyond my current level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Interesting anti-passion thread.

Having lived in the Boston, MA and Boulder, CO areas, the influence of expectations is pretty apparent.

Boston is good because there decent riding within a 40 mile drive, Boulder is terrible because there is not epic riding within 12 mile ride/drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Vt

Why Vermont? Interested to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    ................. but I gotta admit that the dude from North Dakota might have us all beat though! ....

I can't let that go by.

Gillette, Wyoming is a pretty bleak place if you are into mountain biking. There are some bike paths around town which are paved paths that run along the side of the road and some wide sidewalks with signs marking them as bike paths. There is one bike shop in town. It is a Specialized shop and the guy that owns it is a serious first rate ass. I have been inside the place probably three times in the last 5 years. Riding around town could be considered attempted suicide. Campbell County has more trucks per capita than anywhere else in the United States, a lot of them are pulling trailers and people drive like they are in a race or something. I really think half of them never see you at all. I have been "buzzed" many, many times riding the shoulder of the road.

Not a friendly town towards bicyclists. The town sport is puking on you Harley fender outside the bar. If you have a bicycle rather than a Harley most people seem to think you are a *** or something. Winters here are long, cold and windy. 20 below zero is not at all uncommon. Summers go over 100 fairly often.

There is only one official trail in town that is dirt. It is a running trail around one of the parks that you can ride your bike on. Park is about 4 city blocks square. Trail is mostly used for people to walk their dogs and let them crap. The only other dirt trails are along the side of the roads where people ride their motocross motorcycles. I ride my bike on them some, but they are nasty with an amazing amount of rotting road killed animals. The smell is really bad in the spring.

Nearly all the land in the Campbell County is tied up in mining leases or is private ranch land. The ranchers are not very friendly for the most part. Closest real trail is in Buffalo which is 70 miles away and the trail is about 6 miles long. Pretty nice trail really. I like riding it, but it is short and pretty far to drive. There is some riding around Sundance. It is also about 75 miles drive to get to a trail head. Thank God there is some really good riding in the Black Hills. Spearfish is 100 miles East, Rapid City is 150 miles.

For all the bad, lots of people like it here. There is good hunting, a big Harley shop, close to gambling in Deadwood, close to Sturgis for the bikers, and best of all, some very good jobs.

As long as my job keeps me here I just make the best of it. It's not hell, but you can see the gates from here.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    I can't let that go by.

Gillette, Wyoming is a pretty bleak place if you are into mountain biking. There are some bike paths around town which are paved paths that run along the side of the road and some wide sidewalks with signs marking them as bike paths. There is one bike shop in town. It is a Specialized shop and the guy that owns it is a serious first rate ass. I have been inside the place probably three times in the last 5 years. Riding around town could be considered attempted suicide. Campbell County has more trucks per capita than anywhere else in the United States, a lot of them are pulling trailers and people drive like they are in a race or something. I really think half of them never see you at all. I have been "buzzed" many, many times riding the shoulder of the road.

Not a friendly town towards bicyclists. The town sport is puking on you Harley fender outside the bar. If you have a bicycle rather than a Harley most people seem to think you are a *** or something. Winters here are long, cold and windy. 20 below zero is not at all uncommon. Summers go over 100 fairly often.

There is only one official trail in town that is dirt. It is a running trail around one of the parks that you can ride your bike on. Park is about 4 city blocks square. Trail is mostly used for people to walk their dogs and let them crap. The only other dirt trails are along the side of the roads where people ride their motocross motorcycles. I ride my bike on them some, but they are nasty with an amazing amount of rotting road killed animals. The smell is really bad in the spring.

Nearly all the land in the Campbell County is tied up in mining leases or is private ranch land. The ranchers are not very friendly for the most part. Closest real trail is in Buffalo which is 70 miles away and the trail is about 6 miles long. Pretty nice trail really. I like riding it, but it is short and pretty far to drive. There is some riding around Sundance. It is also about 75 miles drive to get to a trail head. Thank God there is some really good riding in the Black Hills. Spearfish is 100 miles East, Rapid City is 150 miles.

For all the bad, lots of people like it here. There is good hunting, a big Harley shop, close to gambling in Deadwood, close to Sturgis for the bikers, and best of all, some very good jobs.

As long as my job keeps me here I just make the best of it. It's not hell, but you can see the gates from here.
    I guess Finley,TN isn't as bad as I thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    I can't let that go by.

Fair enough, let's just say riding on the northern Great Plains (outside the Black Hills) in general sucks.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    Eastern slope of Woodside, CA. These people are unfriendly and evil period.

nothing like a little silent chumming down hams gulch
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Yeah, stay away from Vermont. No fun there.
    -Chris

I <3 Dirt

I was in Haiti this summer and had great Haitian coffee, and found singletrack everywhere but the singletrack turned out to be walkways to people's homes/huts. Sadly the people are too poor to have the luxury of recreational activities like mtn biking. They can't even keep their beautiful black sand beaches clean let alone establish trails and designated open space. I agree the birthplace of mtn biking, Marin County, has to be the most unfriendly place for mtn biking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails most unfriendly places for mountain biking-beach.jpg  

most unfriendly places for mountain biking-beach2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That Vietnam and Lynn woods **** is intriguing but way beyond my current level.
    Bull!

I have led Rank Beginners on Rides in Vietnam. Its Just a matter of knowing what trails to take and More importantly , what trails NOT to take!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live in Mounroe County which is located just outside Rocehster, NY. Bikes are not allowed on any trail inside the county. I can not even begin to quantify the number of miles of trail that can not be used by mountain bikers but it is a lot. I poach a few trails but other have to be avoided because of fanatical hikers and equestrians.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I glanced passed all of the Boston bashing (and subsequent defending), but not before giggling a bit. I'm an East Coast transplant, and I love Boston and love the people there. I'm in CA now, and definitely don't find people to be any friendlier here.

Will add that in the true sense of the word "unfriendly", I'd agree with Marin County being on there. Seems like no one says hello any more. That just makes me sad. I'm always acknowledging other bikers, hikers, and horseback riders, but hardly anyone says hi first and rarely says hi back. Not sure what that's about. But sure, we have some decent legal riding here.

Amazingly, and probably surprisingly, the most "friendly" place I've ever mountain biked was in Rwanda and then Kenya. Literally, throngs of people running up to you with huge smiles and laughter. Best and most fun biking ever. Sort of like the anti-Marin. Opened my eyes quite a bit (but that's a whole other thread!)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, boy, Bob

Now I confront bigotry.
    We have a victim!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's not hell, but you can see the gates from here.
    Funniest quote in quite a while! I feel for you, though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fourmile Canyon area in Boulder is currently very unfriendly

CEO Product Failure

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by slim2none
    I couldn't agree more. Having lived here for almost all of my 39 years, It sucks if you enjoy doing anything active out of doors other than "ball" sports and spending money at malls. If it weren't for my family and friends - I'd be outta here.

Even the states that border Chicago like Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and over into Michigan have way better attitudes and access towards outdoor recreation and cycling. It's astounding how lame Chicago is.
    Slim, I had to edit your post. Fixed it perfectly. Chi-Town is a state unto itself. If you've got 3hrs windshield time in any direction, N, S, E, or W I can clue you in on pristine singletrack. Worthy of a Ferris-Buehler's-Day-Off-Epic less the Ferrari.

What's sad is Chicago is now claiming Rockford as a NW suburb. Yeah, there are drive times to O'Hare on I90 as you cross the WI/IL boarder. Un be leave able.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Portland, but definitely not Oregon. Biggest contrast I have ever seen anywhere. Mountain biking in Oregon is as good as almost anywhere. Mountain Biking in Portland is non-existent and gets treated worse than homeless people and child molesters.

mtbr member

First of all FFFFF Lebronadict James and Cleveland gets my vote as well.

I live in Florida now but started riding in Cleveland. There is soo much opportunity there with the hills and the Cleveland metroparks. I would ride the horse trails on SOM /Metroparks in Solon and go E ride to Chagrin. Lots of rivers and awesome XC even if its illegal. I would never scare the horses though!!!

Rays is awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I don't know where you guys are riding around Boston, but I've been living here for 4 years and love the riding community. Almost everyone I meet on the trail or in the parking lot of riding spots is friendly and more than happy to chat or help out.

I've run into dozens of people riding and ended up riding with them and have a great time. Some of the people I ride with regularly are just random people I've met riding.

Not to mention I can think of 20 great spots to ride within an hour of Boston. I've got tons of choices to ride in my free time. I used to live in VT, NH and Washington (state) and there is much better riding around Boston.

As for bike theft in Boston. If you care about your bike, you don't let it out of your sight. I've never had a bike stolen in Boston because I'm not dumb enough to use a crappy lock in a populated area, nor I am dumb enough store it anywhere but behind a locked door. Use the T or walk, if you are riding your bike around Boston its only a matter of time before its stolen.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Now I confront bigotry.
    You're an idiot.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62
    The county I work in has no legal mtb trails - Mahoning County, northeast Ohio. Got a great big municipal park, but no mtb trails. That's the Youngstown area.

Steve Z
    Mill Creek? Nice park for sure. Skipped school there quite a few times. Ah, good ol' Y-town. Glad I didn't start riding until I moved to AZ or else I might not have stuck with it, considering the dearth of good trail in NE Ohio. Lots and lots of good stuff in the desert! I tried riding in PA one summer when I went home, but all I found were cross country ski trails. I forget what park it was because it was, well, forgettable. Super happy I made it out west!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

It's about showing up.

Marin? Hah!

East Bay Regional park District is the worst hands down!

We're number 1!

We're number 1!

We're number 1!

mtbr member
    you guys from the bay area have it good. you guys have no idea! you cant go 10 feet in the east bay without having a place to ride. marin too.

im in portland now. theres no place to ride here, at all. im dying for a tamarancho, jmp.. hell, even a pleasanton ridge for a quick loop. here there is nothing.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Minot, ND could be up there on the list. Long winters, no mountains, no MTB community. But on the flip side, we do have a good shop in town, there are a few miles of trail just outside of the city, and the people are generally friendly.

Fargo on the other hand has NO trails at all. So I think it would have to win.

I used to live in Fargo. Not much else to say but, "Yeah."

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    you guys from the bay area have it good. you guys have no idea! you cant go 10 feet in the east bay without having a place to ride. marin too.
    +1

Just returned back to the Bay area after spending 4 years in Minneapolis. Minneapolis has an impressive network of trails for a metro area. However, the first time I went riding there some 'trail steward' yelled at me for riding because it had rained 2 days before and the trails weren't "ready" - even though the trail was open at the time. This was when I learned that they close the trails even if the clouds "look" like they could drop some rain. I understand the need to not ride muddy trails in order to prevent erosion and trail damage, but in Minneapolis they are downright anal about it. There's 4 to 5 months out of the year when you can't mountain bike, period. People there don't say "Hi", don't invite you to ride with them if you ride up and are friendly with them and don't go out of their way to help newcomers feel welcome. Minnesota Nice is a misnomer in the off road cycling community.

Then there's the part about driving 45 minutes to get to the best riding spot around the Twin Cities, which is a moderately hilly 5 mile loop of singletrack through the woods. It took 2 laps to break a sweat and the highest climb was about 30 vertical feet.

Now I smile ear to ear every day as I ride from my house into Annadel State Park.

MN gave me a lifelong appreciation of what we have here; world class trails, enthusiastic, friendly, welcoming people and year-round riding.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Southeast Alabama, closest good trail is at least 2hrs away. There is one here that is decent, if you enjoy going round and round and seeing the same flat sandy scenery over and over again. It's always humid, at sunup in the summers it's 85 degrees with 98% humidity. I wish I lived about 3hrs north. One positive is that there is no snow and you can ride the one trail year round. Over and over again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0