Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Good job! Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip

I just finished a 2-day solo bike pack trip from Molas Pass to Durango. thought I would share some pictures and a narrative. I've heard some people do this in one day by starting before dawn and mashing all day. Supposedly its been done in 9 hours. At 70 miles and over 11,000 feet of climbing I chose to do it over two days, which was perfect. This gives better time to enjoy the views - amazing for the whole route.

First the rig - shout out to Velorution Cycles in Durango for the awesome Bedrock bike packing bags.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0322.jpg

Setting out from Molas at about 10 a.m., uncloudy day and already warm at 11,000 feet! The day looked promising... many thanks to my wife for the lift up to Molas and for the send off pic

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_7987-copy.jpg

Next came the familiar climb up to Rolling Pass which only took a couple of hours.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0325-1-.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0331.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0332.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0333.jpg
    Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0329.jpg

Next up an over the pass and down into the Cascade Creek drainage. All good.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0335.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0337.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0340.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0342.jpg

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0343.jpg
    Next came the climb to Bolas Road, Celebration Lake and on to Blackhawk pass. Was definitely starting to feel some of the climb on the steep up.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0347.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0350.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0351.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0354.jpg

At about 5:30 I rolled into Hotel Draw and began looking for campsites. Wound up finding a little gem just off the trail and past the intersection with Coral Draw trailhead. It was interesting to look into the Hermosa Creek wilderness and see the recent fire impact. Beautiful sunset.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0355.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0356.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0357.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0362.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0364.jpg

In the morning I wanted to jump on it to make it home for dinner so was in the saddle by 8 a.m. Rode past the Salt Creek intersection and then started climbing onto Indian Ridge...

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0365.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0366.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0368.jpg

After a steep climb of about 2,000 feet eventually gained the ridge with crazy views of the La Plata mountains and all of the San Juans. Tough hike-a-biking in some sections and my legs were feeling it! The ridge is loose and rocky on top.

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0371.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0372.jpgMolas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0374.jpg

Eventually started decending down to Kennebec Pass and past the beautiful Taylor Lake.
    Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0376.jpg

At this point I was so stoked for the downhill to come that I stopped taking pictures. About 7,000 feet of downhill over the next few hours and one hurtful climb out of Walls Gulch. I then biked home and was in my driveway by 3:30 pm in time for dinner!

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-img_0380.jpg

5 Star route!

mtbr member
    Sweet. I'll be heading into the Weminuche from Molas Pass in two weeks(Elk Park/Needleton loop plus ~28 extra miles), since the Durango/Silverton isn't delivering backpackers to Elk Park at the moment. Not my first trip-beautiful country!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for sharing. Consider me jealous.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Great Pics and ride, I'm looking forward to being out there a week on Saturday - no two day epics for me though just multiple day trips
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    What a great ride. Looks awesome. Thanks for posting.
    Bikes are my time machines.

slow
    Nice photos and write up. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice write up. That looks like a great overnighter. You should crosspost to the Bikepacking and Bike Expedition Forum group.

Bikesexual
    Awesome write up, sounds like a great ride!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nice... did that last year as train shuttle with a group. Train from Durango to Silverton and return by bike. Took us 3 days though.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Slight Thread hijack - any one else want to ride trails similiar to the above on

Sunday 9th sept,Monday 10th Sept or Tuesday 11th sept

I'm hoping to Ride Molas - Engineer, Tour de Engineer and blackhawk trails, the first 2 really need shuttling unless your a local superhuman who can ride up the road and then do the rides

The weather forecast is looking promising as well

Molas pass to Durango on two day bike packing trip-capture.jpg
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

drink coffee, ride.
    Had me full purchase with this:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyLover View Post
    I chose to do it over two days, which was perfect.

Nearly killed me with this:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyLover View Post
    I then biked home and was in my driveway by 3:30 pm in time for dinner!
    Slower, often is better. And to live within biking distance of "home", maybe a dream worth pursuing for this Phoenician.
    Thanks for the stoke!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I just did the same trip over Labor Day weekend. I did it in 2 nights, only riding until 3 the first day, 4 the second day and rolled into my driveway about 5:30 on day 3. -plenty of time to chill in the late afternoons and scout around for elk and mule deer.
    I had some storms with quite a bit of rain and hail. I camped at Hermosa Peak and just below the steep climb on Segment 27. I rode/HAB Indian Ridge and most of Segment 28 with a guy finishing the whole trail.

Out spokin'
    Damn.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing looks like it was an amazing ride.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Good Stuff!

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Great post. Thanks for sharing!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

Awesomist™
    Bad. Ass. So good.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    A little late.. But Great stuff! I just moved to Durango the week before Christmas. And received a year pass for the train as a gift. Could you guys share your gear/food/pack set ups. Thanks and again awesome rides and photos.