Moab trails?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab trails?

Jan 2004

New question here. Moab trails?

This spring I'm spending a week in Moab and want to ride as many of the trail as my legs can handle. For anyone who is familiar with the area, what are five best rides you'd recomend? We're definately going to do Slickrock and Porcupine but after that I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Jan 2004
    At that rate you might be able to pick 10 trails (Slickrock in the a.m. and Porcupine after lunch, or vice versa). There are many good Moab guidebooks, Rider Mel's is probably my fave.

Ken

No, that's not phonetic
    Gold Bar Rim finishing by riding Poison Spider "backwards" (not down the Portal Trail)
    Amasa Back
    Behind the Rocks to Pritchet Canyon
    Slickrock
    Porcupine
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not a guru, but I would add Amasa Back and Sovereign trail to your list. Maybe Poison Spider if you have some rain to temper those sand pits. Enjoy.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

All of the above, and Flat Pass. -nm

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
    This spring I'm spending a week in Moab and want to ride as many of the trail as my legs can handle. For anyone who is familiar with the area, what are five best rides you'd recomend? We're definately going to do Slickrock and Porcupine but after that I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    no message

mtbr member

IMO, Amassa Back is a can't miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger

Thanks!
    Other than that, the only other two I have done are Top of the World, which is a kind of long, sometimes boring ride, but a cant' miss view (it is about an hour of of town) and Poision Spider/Portal, which I was not really impressed with.

However, of the 4 times I've been to Moab, I've done Amassa Back three time.

(Yes, PorRim is a can't miss, but I'm not a huge fan of Slickrock either, but if you have never done it, I'd recommend it.)

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Other than that, the only other two I have done are Top of the World, which is a kind of long, sometimes boring ride, but a cant' miss view (it is about an hour of of town) and Poision Spider/Portal, which I was not really impressed with.

However, of the 4 times I've been to Moab, I've done Amassa Back three time.

(Yes, PorRim is a can't miss, but I'm not a huge fan of Slickrock either, but if you have never done it, I'd recommend it.)

Thanks all for the tips. Amassa Back seems to keep poping up so I'll add it to the list for sure.
    Lone Ranger

More Chasmism

Suggestions

Can't list my true top five here but of the established guidebook rides the five must do rides for timers in Moab are (IMHO):

(1) Slickrock (Some like it. Some hate it. Nevertheless, it's famous and unique.)
    (2) Porcupine Rim (Everyone loves it. Always.)
    (3) Bartlett Wash (Open red rock playland.)
    (4) Amasa Back (Classic eroded ledgy jeep road. "Option bombing".)
    (5) Gold Bar / Portal (Gorgeous views and edge. Portal is fine just use your head.)

With that said, there are MUCH better rides that are variations or extensions of these, or just plain "out there" on their own. They tend to be somewhat more to MUCH more technical, edgy and epic than the classics above. Drop me a line if you might like to hook up for a ride as such.

hfly <-- currently in Vegas for five days of riding
    moabdublab AT citlink DOT net

Lone Wolf
    Jul 2003

Its all good!

You have to ride the Sovereign trail, its absolutely amazing. Probably the most fun trail i've ever ridden. I'm going to drive the 22 hours back to Moab just to ride this baby again!
    Slickrock was also quite a bit of fun...pretty strange and unique and I deffinetly wouldn't miss an opprotunity to ride that. Amassa Back is a good time too. Kinda sucks for the first half mile of so but gets alot better. Porcupine Rim is a must do too!
    Go check out Fruita if you have time too.