Moab during Easter Jeep Safari??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Moab during Easter Jeep Safari??

So, I'm planning a Spring time trip to Moab, and my girlfriend wants to come along- only problem is, her Spring Break is April 5-11, which coincides perfectly with the Annual Easter Jeep Safari. So, I'm wondering if it would be crazy to go ride in Moab during the Safari. Anyone ever been there with all those jeeps? I've never been to Moab to ride, only to climb, so I don't know if the bike trails and jeep trails overlap significantly, or if the main impact would just be on camping, hanging out in town, etc... I'm not as worried about that part as I am with having to dodge beer swilling 4-wheelers. Any advice/suggestions?

Also, what would be other nearby riding locales (during early April) we could check out if things in Moab proved too jeep-y?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott

More Chasmism

Mega Jeeps

That is hands down the craziest week in Moab. I ride during Jeep Safari and never see anyone unless I want to, but that comes from riding recondite terrain the navigation of which is impossible to explain.

It seems that week would be prime time to visit Fruita. You could swing by Moab to try a trail or two if you wanted, then spend the bulk of your time spinning the beautiful singletracks of that other, nearby mecca. There is a lot of Fruita expertise inhabiting this board, so I'll defer on specific trail recommendations.

hfly

Oh, Fruita and Moab are only 1&1/2 hour apart.

Trail Sanitizer
    I'll ignore the part about "beer swilling 4-wheelers" since I've taken my Jeep to Moab to run the trails. I'll have to assume that you weren't grouping all 4-wheelers together as drunken idiots.

Like hfly said, that would be a great time to head to Fruita. It doesn't have the same number of trails but there's enough to keep you busy for a week (or more). The Jeeps run a lot of the same trails that the bikers ride in Moab so you will definitely be sharing the trails. Since there are thousands of people in town, all of the trails are busy.

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'll ignore that part about "It doesn't have the same number of trails" bit ;P and say that most everything will be open by then except for the high country stuff (the stuff that is not widely known). The entire Grand Valley will have some excellent options. Kokopelli Loops, 18 Road, Rabbit Valley, Lunch Loop area, that list will get you started.

mtbr platinum member

Jeeps and camping = crazy

I've been there during Jeep week. It is extremely crazy there. I will warn you about camping. We arrived during the middle of the night and were unsuccessful in finding 'legal' camping that was available. The jeepers filled up everything. So, if you are camping, be sure you know all of the lesser known camping hide-outs.

At 3am we found a camping spot with a fire ring. At 6am the ranger woke us up and told us that we were being fined $50 for camping at an illegal camping site! So, tip #2 is to make sure that there is not only a fire ring, but also a numbered camp site sign in front of the spot as well! It seems that the rangers make their bucks during jeep week?

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    I'll ignore the part about "beer swilling 4-wheelers" since I've taken my Jeep to Moab to run the trails. I'll have to assume that you weren't grouping all 4-wheelers together as drunken idiots.
    The vast majority of jeepers that I've encountered in Moab have been beer swilling 4-wheelers, including the group that broke down 100 yards into Porcupine rim that was drinking Bud at 10 am while decked out in their finest (wife beaters).

mtbr platinum member
    Forgot to mention. The riding was fine. Many of the trails that the jeepers use are not necessarily the same ones used by riders. We hardly came across any jeeps during our rides (just heard them in the middle of the night screaming as they creeped around on the trails).

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Trail Sanitizer
    If you do plan on still going to Moab, try finding out which trails the Jeeps will be on. Most of the time there is a trail run schedule for the Jeeps. It might not hurt to see if a schedule could be had in advance to see what trails the organized runs will be using on which days.

Pete - sorry to hear about your experiences. If I was broken down on the trail, in the desert, only a passenger and had beer, I'm sure I would have a few cold ones. Besides, when I ride in Moab, I become a beer-swilling mtn biker after rides myself.

EDIT - found a link to the trail schedule. Again, this is only where the organized runs will be going but they will be a bulk of the vehicles.

http://www.moab-utah.com/jeep/safari.html
    Last edited by Bulldozer; 02-24-2004 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I heard from Jesse at the Coyote Shuttle (one of Moab's local shuttle services) that access to Sand Flats - the trail heads for Slickrock and Porcupine Rim can take up to SIX HOURS IN LINE behind all the jeeps...

From the schedule - looks like they're skipping one of my fav's - Amassa Back.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    I heard from Jesse at the Coyote Shuttle (one of Moab's local shuttle services) that access to Sand Flats - the trail heads for Slickrock and Porcupine Rim can take up to SIX HOURS IN LINE behind all the jeeps...

From the schedule - looks like they're skipping one of my fav's - Amassa Back.
    Six hours... if you wait around in a car. You can bike to the Slickrock trailhead/parking area from town rather quickly, just up that little hill ;-) Say 35-40 minutes at a very mellow pace, if I remember correctly.

Great news about Amassa Back, in that they're skipping it.... THAT is a fun trail both up & out and back.....

The 4X4 guys I've run nto have been totaly cool out there.... but I may have been unusually lucky to come across folks that were responsible off roaders, not the beer-swilling jerks so typified by the scene. In fact, I'm a beer swiller too! Just after the ride is complete....
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all the info - sounds like we should head elsewhere that week. We might try to get to Moab the week before and head to Fruita during the safari... Or maybe just reschedule completely. Beer swilling or not, I don't want to share the trails with a bunch of motorized vehicles!

Thanks again,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustScott
    Beer swilling or not, I don't want to share the trails with a bunch of motorized vehicles!

Thanks again,
    Scott
    Well, don't be too surprised to see MOTORcycles around some of the trails in Fruita, as like many places that are fun to ride on BLM land, some motorized access is allowed. Crested Butte has a number of trails where you've got to make room for the motorized folks also, as do other areas in the west....

The infernal combustion machines should hardly damper the joy of some great trails & riding!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -