Des(s)ert Rat

Missing him.... Blame it on ScottN

Scott's post made me remember all those years of fun. But he grew up. So I sent him off to college. And now I'm missing my riding buddy in a big way.

So many years on the bike with him. So much fun. And now I have reason to ride on the Front Range near Denver.

Here he is at my brother's wedding. He had to take the wedding gift out for a spin.

But it started here:

And his first singletrack was in Fruita:

It wasn't long before we took him to some slickrock (Bartlett Wash):

By the time he was ten, he had ridden in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California, and British Colombia.

But growing up the kids of a bikeshop owner in Fruita had its privileges.

This was a shot used for a Fruita Fat Tire Festival Poster:

High School Graduation picnic was a bike fest out on 18 Road in Fruita:

We had to ride the high country!:

Back in town:

Yep, gonna miss having him around!

Last edited by screampint; 08-25-2010 at 03:27 PM.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have an 18 year old daughter myself - albeit she is not a mountain biker -but she is in her final year of high school and will soon depart the nest... Not an easy time in a parent's life but we can rest assured that we raised them the best we could and pray that they find their dream and make it happen.

The cool thing is that when your son comes home to visit, you already know what you all can do - go get some more rides and memories!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Glutton for punishment
    I'll be glad to take the blame for that.

Looks like many fun years together. I'm looking forward to the same with my kids!

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Awesome shots, he's lucky to be able to do something like that to bond with his dad!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great series of pics, sounds like you should go visit him this weekend.

Vermonter to the Core
    Hell..... I get teary when I drop my son off for school for one day!! im such a sucker! Yeah I cry at forest gump too!
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Des(s)ert Rat
    And with his mom....

Just sayin'

Photo from our mom and son 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo duo team adventure. Top ten out of 30 in the coed duo team, we both rode rigid singlespeeds (the Surly he rode isn't in the photo).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    And with his mom....

That was the story that struck me with awe... if my little dude keeps on riding like he does now - perhaps we'll make the journey back to where you guys kicked some mom-and-son azz, and where I learned so much about myself (mainly limitations!). Something about your post a while back about OP struck a number of chords with me. That snow-covered bikes shot brings it right back. BAM. Potent stuff!

Random rainy day video from yesterday:

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great thread.

Here's mine. Just turned 17 earlier this month. I figure I've got about two years left with him in the house. He can just almost out ride me now (I let him win now and then ). This was in an off-road triathlon last weekend, he took second place overall, beating several guys on big sponsored teams and the like:

Des(s)ert Rat
    Nothing is better than sharing your passion for life with a child. I still have one at home and plan to enjoy every second!

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to many years like this with my son. He just learned how to ride without training wheels a few months ago, counting down the days to take him to some local easy single track. He is up to just over 3 miles riding with me and thoroughly enjoys it every time we go out.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

At Work
    Great Thread.

I have a 3 year old little girl that tears it up on her strider.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    hey screamprint-- cool thread. we took my lil grom rafting a couple of weeks ago in Colorado and our young guide Curtis spoke so great about his love for his dad who has helped and inspired him to follow his passions that it really made my experience with my son so much more. Passion, love whatever you want to call it hope we get to realize it all with our groms ten fold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am in a similar situation.

My son is 17 and starting his senior year of High School next week. Just got back yesterday from a trip to Boulder to check out one of the schools on his list. (That is surely a nice looking place to live after being in So Cal for so long).

He has not ridden as much in recent years as he has very little personal time away from studying and school soccer and club soccer - and what time he does have has been devoted to surfing. However, while not thrilled about being away from the beach, the trip to Colorado has him all excited about riding and boarding again.

Here are a few pics of him years ago.

Kirk

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    And with his mom....

Just sayin'

Photo from our mom and son 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo duo team adventure. Top ten out of 30 in the coed duo team, we both rode rigid singlespeeds (the Surly he rode isn't in the photo).

Oops! Mom. Might be even cooler
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    great thread...keep the pics coming!

beer thief
    I share your pain, Sarah, as my boy left for college yesterday. I've been fighting back the tears. How have 6+ years flown by since we rode with the kids in Fruita?! He is riding Jordan's bike in a couple of these photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Missing him.... Blame it on ScottN-1torrey-spool.jpg  

Missing him.... Blame it on ScottN-1torrey-teeter.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Des(s)ert Rat
    Danielle is on that bike, now. It has the same silly green tire, but a new(ish) shock.

beer thief
    Bump for nostalgia (& school is almost out)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow. Great thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx View Post
    That was the story that struck me with awe... if my little dude keeps on riding like he does now - perhaps we'll make the journey back to where you guys kicked some mom-and-son azz, and where I learned so much about myself (mainly limitations!). Something about your post a while back about OP struck a number of chords with me. That snow-covered bikes shot brings it right back. BAM. Potent stuff!
    This story of the Old Pueblo race sounds intriguing. I did a search but nothing came up. Can anyone provide a link?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, but I was actually more interested in sreampint's story about it, rather than general info on the ride itself.

Of course, I hadn't noticed that the original posts are over 2 years old and it's likely that none of these posters are even around anymore.

mtbr member
    Gosh, I remember him as a baby. Time really fly's by.....

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'll have to dig around and see where the recounting of the 24 HOP is. He and I had fun that race! He's now in Hurricane, UT (think Gooseberry Mesa and the JEM trail). At the very least, I'll see him in July. I do miss riding with him!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Crazy, huh!? I really don't feel that much older, but I must be!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint View Post
    Crazy, huh!? I really don't feel that much older, but I must be!
    Cheers to you for sharing such cool memories!
    -boom

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Must be a lot of us in this age group--I'm sending my daughter to Montana State this fall. Not a biker, but she can pretty much ski circles around me and I'm no slouch. Gonna miss my best ski buddy. My youngest just turned 13 and I'm taking him biking every chance I can get. He just got his fully for his 13th birthday and he can now hang with me on the techy stuff so he's repidly becoming my best riding buddy as well.

I gotta make sure I keep taking pics (and video) so I have a memoir like yours when he leaves. Good times with family never go out of style.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    I'm at the "start" of the journey:

Missing him.... Blame it on ScottN-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335895917.249424.jpg

Missing him.... Blame it on ScottN-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335895965.462452.jpg

mtbr member
    Great thread! I am glad to see so many parents spending time with children and loving life. Thank you so much for this!

Let's Ride!
    I'm at the very beginning, but we commute almost daily and she loves the bike rides..........I have a step-son from a previous marriage that'll be 17 this summer.........I don't see him as often as I like, and try as I did, he never got into bikes like his StepDad............

Members who have read this thread: 0