I cross-posted this in the NorCal forum, but I know there are some locals who hang out here. There's a search and rescue underway in San Rafael for a missing man that may be lost/injured on a local trail. It's a wide area to search with no information about where he may have been headed. If you were out riding in Marin on Sunday and you happened to see someone matching the description below, please call the San Rafael PD at the number below. They're coordinating another search today with volunteers.

The comment about him "being depressed" is troubling, but doesn't in any way mitigate the need to consider him lost or injured.

If you don't leave a note with your intended trail when you ride alone, at least consider making up a map with a list of trails you frequent.

(To the guys who stopped and helped me with a flat on the backside of Tamarancho, I made it home, I'm not missing. Thanks for the help.]

Jim Bronstein, 46, left his home on Alpine Street, in the city's Sun Valley neighborhood, at 9 a.m. Sunday with his bicycle, telling his wife he planned to go for a ride. An avid bicyclist, Bronstein was known to ride his black Specialized mountain bike in open space areas, water district lands, San Anselmo, Phoenix Lake and China Camp State Park.

"He left his wallet and his keys at home," said San Rafael police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher. Police said Bronstein, an accountant, has been depressed over work-related issues.

A crew of 20 searchers, assisted by aircraft, scoured the area around Sun Valley, Mount Tamalpais Cemetery and the Terra Linda-Sleepy Hollow preserve. Fliers were also transmitted to police agencies in the county.

Bronstein was described as 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds with short salt-and-pepper hair. He was wearing dark gray sweat pants with pockets, brown running or hiking shoes and a light gray long-sleeved collar shirt with a "Croner Co." logo.

Anyone with information can call the San Rafael Police Department at 485-3000.