Michigander California Dreamin no more :-(- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Michigander California Dreamin no more :-(

We're back from CA after going on a "scouting mission" where we were considering living. I had applied for a job online and got a call asking me to come out for an interview. We stayed in Santa Monica, but the job was in the San Fernando valley, in Tarzana. We looked at houses west of there from Oak Park, Thousand Oaks, to Camarillo. I can handle living in a smaller house, but geeze....they were junky! People either don't take care of their houses, or don't have the money. The construction workmanship is also VERY poor. The traffic going west was minimal, but any other direction (south on the 405 towards SM was aweful!). I got the job I applied and interviewed for, but it was only $9k/yr. more than I make now, $6k if you figure I'd have to pay for Rich's ins. unless he got a job that provided it. Just not enough to justify the move.

The weather was wonderful, the riding would be awesome, and coming back here to 19 degree temps sucks!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and help, but we're staying in Mich. for awhile

Dec 2004
    You forgot to mention those shacks cost a fortune also.

mtbr member

Phew!

Good thing. I was worried about the next earthquake that was going to scare you away. Thanks for sparing us us the big one.

All in all, don't judge all of California by the way Tarzana is. I mean, Stocktontuckey is a lot better than that.

JPS

pillage! plunder! 4 parts

There are other options

As a fellow native Michigander now living in San Diego it is worth the effort and re-adjustments. Sure, my house is smaller but I don't have to live out the winter in it. I ride, I sail, I hike where it used to be watch football, maybe some snowmachines if we had consistent snow but other than that had to live INDOORS for 7-8 months. Traffic is something that takes a long time to get used to but with some research you can sometimes find you are against the normal flow of traffic and it all works out.

So keep checking for jobs if you really have a motivation to move. The weather will draw you in but all the things to do will make it worth while.
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

Aug 2004
    Wait till the housing bubble deflates or until salaries catch up with the cost of living (might be waiting a while). CA is only good for those who own property. Coming to CA now would be very difficult to get established. Is it worth it? Probably not. Save your money and retire earlier.

And another misconception. Just because it costs more to live in an area doesn't mean jobs pay more. Quite the contrary, I've found that jobs in CA don't pay anymore than anywhere else in the country and in a lot of cases less. 9K is not that much more, not to offset the higher costs.

Quote Originally Posted by pedaling pyrate
    As a fellow native Michigander now living in San Diego it is worth the effort and re-adjustments. Sure, my house is smaller but I don't have to live out the winter in it. I ride, I sail, I hike where it used to be watch football, maybe some snowmachines if we had consistent snow but other than that had to live INDOORS for 7-8 months. Traffic is something that takes a long time to get used to but with some research you can sometimes find you are against the normal flow of traffic and it all works out.

So keep checking for jobs if you really have a motivation to move. The weather will draw you in but all the things to do will make it worth while.

jci
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OP, TO, trashy?!

ExSocalMtbr is right about the cost of living.

If you are comparing bang for the buck in the areas you described compared to anywhere... not in California, then I understand.
    Tarzana and its nearby areas have weird 2 bedroom houses that are old, while Oak Park, Agoura, and Thousand Oaks have some of the highest prices because, well, they aren't in San Fernando Valley! Anything built in the 70's is still way expensive, and anything built after that is extremely expensive.

This is especially true of the Ventura County aspect of the 3 areas you described. OP / TO are known for their schools as well.

This is coming from someone who recently moved up to Northridge from Oak Park to do more college. I work in Woodland Hills, so I drive from the top of the San Fernando valley to the 101. Takes about 25 minutes in the morning compared to maybe 20 when I was in Oak Park.

That's gonna leave a mark

Wink It all depends...

I happen to live in Westlake Village (next to Thousand Oaks) up against the Simi Mountains (I call them hills). It's big enough for my family, well built, and there are miles of prime singletrack 50 yards from my door. Fortunately I bought my home while it was being built and before the prices skyrocketed. My home's market value tripled in the last 7 years. I doubt it will dip below double what I paid. However, the only way I would benefit from selling is to move to another state where the homes are cheaper.

I will agree that Camarillo, T.O. and Agoura have their share of "shacks", as you put it. All areas do. Even Beverly Hills and Malibu. It's obvious you didn't look in the Westlake, Northranch, Sherwood or Camarillo Springs areas. In CA you won't find a 4000-5000 sqft home on half an acre within reasonable driving distance to metro business areas without paying the price.

Stay in MI and enjoy the clean air, cold winters and great riding.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club