Thread: Magazine's?

Quiet Professional

Magazine's?

I am looking for mountain biking magazine's to subscribe to.

Sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

Dinner for wolves
    DirtRag FTW
    Responds to gravity

DIY all the way
    If you can spell your way through German, Bike is the mag to read. Loads of tests, and limited BS factor.

Magura

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Depends where you live, UK is gonna be different hell much of the USA cant relate to SoCals MBA and vice versa with us in calif vs the steeltown mentality of Dirt Rag. BIKE is pretty good but the reviews are weak. Good (if self-important) writing & photos tho. DECLINE if u own a closetfull of flatbrims & can't seem to keep ur pants up. Features in Mountain Bike can be surprisingly well done but the rest tends to be pretty amateurish imo

u get better info off the web & ur homies at the shop anyway so screw the sub just go ride.
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    I always look forward to the next issue of DirtRag. Seems to have the most single track content of any with decent reviews and riding tips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, Dirt Rag is pretty good. Easily available too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat View Post
    DECLINE if u own a closetfull of flatbrims & can't seem to keep ur pants up.

LCI #1853
    Dirt Rag is the only MTB mag worth paying for.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

mtbr member
    Depends what you want. MBA is good for what it is (news, rumors and light reviews). Bike magazine has great pictures and Dirt rag has light, MBA like reviews, but with great stories.

The UK mags have great ride information (good if you live in the UK but limited value if you don't!) and great reviews. They tend to be more honest and brutal in their reviews. If something is crap, the don't hide it at all. If it is great, they shout it. They still are biased towards anything that is made in the UK (think Orange and early UK inspired Marins) but are generally fair.

Only read english so those are the only mags I know of!

Quiet Professional
    I live in the us and right now only web I get is my Android. I love reading mags since reading on a 4.5 inch screen gets boring.

mtbr member
    I prefer Bike. Well written, foul mouthed, and sarcastic. The best pics of all the mags, and they have awesome articles as well. The last issue documenting the Russian backcountry epic those two guys did was amazing.

Dirt Rag is my second choice. Although it's usually a bit lacking in content (i.e. thin) compared to the rest, it makes up for it with a bigtime DIY attitude and ethic which I like.

Mountain Bike Action is pure garbage. The ONLY time I would ever buy one is if I was stuck at an airport and needed something to kill time. That publishing company (High-Torque) is owned by an uber-right wing conservative family, that openly bashes gay rights and democrats (among other things). You CANNOT trust any of their reviews, since that entire magazine is nothing but a catalog for their advertisers. Almost all their articles are gared toward getting you to buy lots of crap/new bikes you don't need. In the past, they have claimed that a bike more than three years old is "unsafe to ride and should be replaced", and they have just recently published an article pushing for DH specific bikes to be banned from all singletrack that isn't lift-access. Their long-time editor finally bailed and went to Pink Bike last month, after he had enough of their B.S. Boycott this waste of a mag, it does more damage to the sport than good.

Pinkbike.com. What's not to like? Def. Gravity oriented, but great videos, great news, awesome buy/sell marketplace, and its free!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you have an iPad, iPod Touch or IPhone download the apps called Flipboard, Zite, Pulse, or anything similar and populate them with your favourite bike websites. Flipboard presents the latest headlines in a very visually appealing manner, very much like a magazine. The information is up to date and best of all it's free and you can even have video content! Similarly, if you an e reader of some sort, you can get an app called Calibre and it will do a similar thing for you! Wow I just realized I used a form of the word similar several times!

mtbr member
    Dirt Rag and Bike if you're in dire need of a print fix. I think they both have some of the best long-form writing and photos you can get in the bike magazine industry today.

For websites (since ours isn't up yet, muhuHAHAHA)- http://pinkbike.com, http://mountain.bike198.com, & http://singletracks.com do a great job of writing and content curation.

--Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    ...That publishing company (High-Torque) is owned by an uber-right wing conservative family, that openly bashes gay rights and democrats (among other things).
    Well now, THAT just sold a subscription!

mtbr member
    Another vote for Dirt Rag. Quality publication out of Pittsburgh, Pa, my hometown.

Primative Screwhead
    Find a stash of Mountain Bike mags on Ebay and get those. Mid to late nineties, and early 2000-2003 vintage.

Haters gonna hate, but re-reading those issues takes me back to a simpler time.

Imaginative design lay-out, awesome XC adventure and racing coverage, articles that took you by surprise and thought outside the box. Always feel content reading those old issues...

Also the era that Palmer was making an impact
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

TXTony
    Dirt Rag....MBA no way!

Unpredictable
    UK - DIRT (or Dirtmag if you prefer) - gravity oriented, but has a fairly broad approach to that and Australian - Revolution

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Dirt Rag

Don't forget, Dirt Rag has beer reviews. Loves me some Dirt Rag.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I am looking for mountain biking magazine's to subscribe to.

Does your "thunderbolt using tapatalk pro" have a search function? Because this question is asked here at least once every two months or so.

Search for "magazines" here. You'll see this discussed ad nauseam.

Quiet Professional
    Nothing like being an ass to someone new instead of just biting your toung , and yes for your information I did use the search function in tapatalk pro and many a thread came up in the app but none about magazine's. I am not using a browse but using an app and I am not new to forums or the search function. Thanks for your unless input.

All those that actually gave input thanks. I ordered bike and dirtRag.

mtbr member
    Also, check out Mountain Bike Action. It's only quarterly and you'll need to subscribe by going to their web site. That's because they don't litter the mag with hundreds of subscription cards. Anyway, great stories and photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux View Post
    Find a stash of Mountain Bike mags on Ebay and get those. Mid to late nineties, and early 2000-2003 vintage.

Haters gonna hate, but re-reading those issues takes me back to a simpler time.

Imaginative design lay-out, awesome XC adventure and racing coverage, articles that took you by surprise and thought outside the box. Always feel content reading those old issues...

Also the era that Palmer was making an impact
    +1. Still have them and won't ever give them up. Unfortunately, they were honest with their reviews and they lost advertising dollars. Anyone remember their comparison of a Rock Shox Sid versus a Zokie, where they said they would take the fork that did not leak? Ouch. They railed against the free-ride movement when the bikes really did suck and lost more advertising dollars. Great mag that still has no equal.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Dirt Rag lifer here. best money ever spent.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Dirt Rag lifer here. best money ever spent.
    I keep telling myself to do the lifer,but never wanna spend that much,so every three years for the last 12-15 I re-up for 3 more,LOL!

+ ever-how-many for Dirt Rag (and Bicycle Times,their sister publication). Bike's all that's said above,but they think everybody rides around on $6000 bikes annd are always hucking over the Grand Canyon,and MBA...ugh
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Members who have read this thread: 0