Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772

    Maah Daah Hey Solo

    Alright, so I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to ride the legendary MDH for a day or two. The problem is I'll be solo and it will be in the sweltering heat of july.

    Any ideas how I should do this? Where should I park the rental car? Should I do a camp-out on the trail, riding out from medora one day and returning the next or do two individual day rides?

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    765

    Mdh

    The first thing that I would do is get a hold of the folks at Dakota Cyclery. They are the only bike shop in that area and do the support/shuttles as well.
    There have been some that have done the whole 100 miles in one day. These are Pro type riders and I heard a story of one doing it in 14 hours.
    If you get a hold of Jen and the gang at Dakota Cylcery they may be able to hook you up with another group that is riding during the same time frame. You may also be able to do the shuttle if you like or have them set up your camp and tear it down for you at a predetermined site.

    A couple of things to think about if you have not been therre. Western ND in July is essentially a desert. It is very hot, dry, and has little water that is useable. There are a couple of spots along the way that have camping and water though.
    The wind is often very strong and usually blows from the North. It is not uncommon to get days of sustained 30mph winds from the North.

    I am looking at doing the same thing here in a couple of weeks.
    Good luck
    BoiseBoy

  3. #3
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    The first thing that I would do is get a hold of the folks at Dakota Cyclery. They are the only bike shop in that area and do the support/shuttles as well.
    There have been some that have done the whole 100 miles in one day. These are Pro type riders and I heard a story of one doing it in 14 hours.
    If you get a hold of Jen and the gang at Dakota Cylcery they may be able to hook you up with another group that is riding during the same time frame. You may also be able to do the shuttle if you like or have them set up your camp and tear it down for you at a predetermined site.

    A couple of things to think about if you have not been therre. Western ND in July is essentially a desert. It is very hot, dry, and has little water that is useable. There are a couple of spots along the way that have camping and water though.
    The wind is often very strong and usually blows from the North. It is not uncommon to get days of sustained 30mph winds from the North.

    I am looking at doing the same thing here in a couple of weeks.
    Good luck
    Right on. I'll give Dakota Cyclery a shout this week and see what they have to say.

    How long are you planning on spending riding the MDH if you don't mind me asking?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    765

    Good Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Right on. I'll give Dakota Cyclery a shout this week and see what they have to say.

    How long are you planning on spending riding the MDH if you don't mind me asking?

    Things are still very much up in the air as to how much time or how many days I will have available. I would like to do all of it in two days, but I may be forced to just do a shuttle or and out and back solo for one day.
    BoiseBoy

  5. #5
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    I looked up DC's website and the $50 shuttle to Wannagon creek and ride back to Medora might be the way to go for me. The solo out and back might be another good option.

  6. #6
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,316
    I rode quite a bit of it a few years ago. I was able to drive down and then I just drove out to the trail on gravel roads, camped out and did out and backs. I camped in a different spot each night. A thunderstorm one night had me seek refuge in Bismark one day because the trails are UNRIDABLE when wet. It was a very good 5 days. There are campsites with water now so you could ride and camp on the way if you have some minamalist ultralight kit.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  7. #7
    Currently in Exile
    Reputation: Frozenspokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,303
    If you have the opportunity, I recomend riding the Northern part of the trail. The portions by the North unit of the Theadore Roosevelt National Park are more scenic IMHO. The Buffalo gap trail (a connector going around the South unit of the TRNP is OK, but you spend a lot of time spinning through pasture.

    Bennet to Magpie makes for a pretty nice shuttle if you can get away with it. If you make the short jog North from where Bennet meets the MDH you can ride China Wall (worth the extra miles) and get about 30ish miles in.

    From Bennet Creek camp, you can put together a loop on Bennet to the MDH to Cottonwood back to the camp. I don't know the mileage on that ride as I usually do a shuttle.

    From the CCC camp near the North unit of the TRNP, you can take ride out to the park boundary and loop back on Long X road. I usually just ride this as an out and back as I prefer singletrack over gravel road, but if you are blown, Long X makes for a relatively easy spin back towards the CCC camp trailhead.

    The trails are all really well marked, so you won't have to spend too much time searching for the trail. There are a few places where it's easy to get turned around, but you quickly realize that your going the wrong way because you don't see any of the trail markers.

    PM me when you are planning on heading up. If possible I might be able to meet up with you and share some MDH sweetness. Also, if you haven't already, post this in the Great Plains forum.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

  8. #8
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Great info! PM Sent. Anyone else ripping up the MDH this july and interested in doing it in a group?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    227

    MDH heaven

    When in July? I love the MDH!!

  10. #10
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by alpka
    When in July? I love the MDH!!
    I sent you a PM.

  11. #11
    Hey I know U
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    20
    Great to see ND crowd in here!

  12. #12
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by akornpatch
    Great to see ND crowd in here!
    ...and a canadian.

  13. #13
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Any specific gear recommendations for riding the MDH solo you folks can recommend? Two camelbak bladders? Will my racing ralphs cut it or should I look for something with more puncture resistance?

  14. #14
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Heh, when I first read the title of this I thought it was a Star Wars quote... something Jabba said. Forgot it was a trail!
    Bike good, work bad.

  15. #15
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Heh, when I first read the title of this I thought it was a Star Wars quote... something Jabba said. Forgot it was a trail!
    "Solo! Hay lapa no ya, Solo!"
    Jabba, A New Hope


    Close but no cigar, clutch.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    "Solo! Hay lapa no ya, Solo!"
    Jabba, A New Hope
    LOL. Nothing useful to add. Just got a laugh out of this.

    Sounds like fun. Good luck.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    31
    if you only get one shot the ride out of magpie to devils pass is an absolute blast....that would be an out and back though. like fs said between bennet and magpie is a nice ride.

  18. #18
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,744
    Potentially helpful info here.

    Looks like my pics vanished, but that's just details.

    MC

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.