Love riding but hate deer flies....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Love riding but hate deer flies....

They are terrible in my riding zone this time of year. You must ride a minimum of 8mph to keep them from landing on your face and 10mph keeps them off the top of head and back. The problem is my singletrack is very tight so anytime you drop below those speeds you get swarmed by all the ones that have been chasing you. It sucks to slow for a skinny bridge and have 3 land on your face.......After inhaling a deer fly last ride I decided to do something about it.

I order deer fly strips online but didn't feel like waiting for them. Also searches showed they are attracted to blue. Here's what I came up with and it worked. No slapping myself in the face and a turn a miserable ride back into a fun one.

I attached the flap so it hangs off the back top of my helmet. The underside is covered with them also. I have a picture of it showing the helmet also but can't get it to upload for some reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Love riding but hate deer flies....-img_20180530_193309-1500x1125.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    They are terrible in my riding zone this time of year. You must ride a minimum of 8mph to keep them from landing on your face and 10mph keeps them off the top of head and back. The problem is my singletrack is very tight so anytime you drop below those speeds you get swarmed by all the ones that have been chasing you. It sucks to slow for a skinny bridge and have 3 land on your face.......After inhaling a deer fly last ride I decided to do something about it.

I order deer fly strips online but didn't feel like waiting for them. Also searches showed they are attracted to blue. Here's what I came up with and it worked. No slapping myself in the face and a turn a miserable ride back into a fun one.

I attached the flap so it hangs off the back top of my helmet. The underside is covered with them also. I have a picture of it showing the helmet also but can't get it to upload for some reason.
    Where is this attached on your person or bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I considered deer flies to be my best training partner when I lived where these were bad.

rack admirer

Month of July requirement in Boston area

Love riding but hate deer flies....-deer-flies-3.jpg
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Have a look at this thread: LINK

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    On the top rear of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Permetherin treated clothing did nothing to slow them down for me. I have a hat(pretreated by clothing company) with a flap that covers your ears and back of neck and it made zero difference. I even tried re-treating it with Sawyers with no luck. It does help with ticks and mosquitoes though. 30%deet didn't help, skeeter beater didn't help either.

I also have a shirt, pants and socks treated with perm and the deer flies don't seem fazed by it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Have a look at this thread: LINK
    Yeah, IME, most repellents do nothing for deer flies. These strips are the best thing for them. However, I found some amount of success with picaridin against deer flies. My dog's ears would get swarmed with the little bastards. Can't exactly put these strips on my dog's ears (the adhesive is tenacious and would be very painful to rip off of fur), but I found that spraying picaridin on my dog's ears did help some.

Thankfully, I've never lived anywhere that they've been THAT big of a deal when biking. I've only had to resort to the strips for work.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...sect-repellent
    https://sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent/

If deer flies are a major problem, I'd consider picaridin-based repellent for areas I don't want them (like a bit of lotion for the face or an aerosol for clothing/arms/legs) and the strips on top of my hat/helmet. Take no prisoners. A trifecta of repellents (DEET on clothes, picaridin on skin, permethrin on clothes) plus deer fly strips would keep you sitting comfortably in a very buggy place.

FWIW, just don't use oil of lemon eucalyptus repellents (effective against mosquitoes, at least) anywhere you find lovebugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

I learned the hard way in Texas that they are attracted to the stuff. They don't bite, but they swarm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I keep forgetting to try, but I've read riding with a few dryer sheets under your helmet will work.

They get pretty rough here in late July/August.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer flies 3.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1201557
    Absolutely.

I buy them by the gross.

Don't leave home without them.

mtbr member
    Try wearing a bug net over top of your helmet. I do that here in Socal when the flies/gnats are bad. They don't bite for the most part but get in eyes/ears/nose/mouth. The bug net doesn't really hamper breathing much, and you can still suck on your camelbak hose through the mesh.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Try wearing a bug net over top of your helmet. I do that here in Socal when the flies/gnats are bad. They don't bite for the most part but get in eyes/ears/nose/mouth. The bug net doesn't really hamper breathing much, and you can still suck on your camelbak hose through the mesh.
    I just can't do headnets. the mesh in my face is a deal breaker.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Geee, those look nasty. I put up with flies but not like these guys.

I think you US MTB'ers are a tough and persistent breed. Big arsed flies in summer and up to your necks in snow in winter. Throw in a few mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes and ticks with the threat of lyme disease.

We have a few of these bigger horse flies which would be our equivalent but I might be the lucky one not to see these in big numbers.

Just ride faster than them folks.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    Geee, those look nasty. I put up with flies but not like these guys.

I think you US MTB'ers are a tough and persistent breed. Big arsed flies in summer and up to your necks in snow in winter. Throw in a few mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes and ticks with the threat of lyme disease.

We have a few of these bigger horse flies which would be our equivalent but I might be the lucky one not to see these in big numbers.

Just ride faster than them folks.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Of everything you listed, the ticks are the worst. So many diseases. And in my area the Lone Star tick causes allergies to red meat. They don't even know what exactly causes it. Lyme disease is small potatoes when you consider the variety of tick-borne diseases you might find. There's more than one unidentified, unnamed tickborne disease out there, too.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/T...neDiseases.pdf

Deer flies can transmit tularemia, but are much lower on the risk scale than ticks, it seems.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20378635

Mosquitoes can transmit diseases, but there's a pretty low risk for most of them.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/out...e/default.html

However, even of all of these things, pretty sure bee/wasp stings kill more people (allergic reactions to such).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    I think you US MTB'ers are a tough and persistent breed. Big arsed flies in summer and up to your necks in snow in winter. Throw in a few mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes and ticks with the threat of lyme disease...
    Hang on, we have ticks in Scotland too you know. And we have neds! Yeah, try dealing with those.

Love riding but hate deer flies....-17ca869b3b4f528a1612692c452aeca1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I just can't do headnets. the mesh in my face is a deal breaker.
    Dunno. I don't like wearing the headnet but it is much better than having flies swarm my face. I'm not claustrophobic but that is the feeling I get with the flies when they are bad. I find my visor keeps the head net mostly off my face.

mtbr member
    Sorry for anyone who has to deal with these. Sounds like hell; and here I thought inhaling a standard issue fly every now and then was bad!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Dunno. I don't like wearing the headnet but it is much better than having flies swarm my face. I'm not claustrophobic but that is the feeling I get with the flies when they are bad. I find my visor keeps the head net mostly off my face.
    It's not really a claustrophobic feeling I deal with. I don't like fabrics over my face. Doesn't really matter if they touch or not. If they're close, they bother me. They do deflect some breath, and I think a significant part of it is the increased temp/humidity that results.

I've worked outside in the woods in northern MI, in springtime. If ever there was a strong case for a headnet (particularly for black flies, though the deer flies came on a bit later in the season), that was definitely one of them. I just couldn't be comfortable using one.

I pretty much did everything else. A bucket hat with a wide brim. Soaked that hat in 100% DEET. Oil of lemon eucalyptus on my face. Fly patches on top of the hat. That system worked well enough to keep stuff from landing on me/biting me. I still had clouds of the insects flying around, but at a greater distance than a head net would permit. Some days I did insect survey work and I'd be carrying a butterfly net. On those occasions, I'd also use that to catch the deer flies before they ever landed on the fly patch, and stomp on them.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer flies 3.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1201557
    this

I carry 3 strips in my camelbak, ready to install if it's biting fly zone
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I dont have to deal with those here in Arizona, only the 110 average in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sulyfjc View Post
    I dont have to deal with those here in Arizona, only the 110 average in the summer.

We definitely had flies up in Prescott in the summer. You'd breath them in or they'd fly into your nose or ears too. They got bad at times. Don't think it was a problem in cooler Flagstaff though.

The mosquitoes in Alaska get bad, but if you use deet and generally keep moving, not too bad in the places with trails. Hikers are not so lucky though. The flies get worse than the mosquitoes, there'll be biting ones that work their way under my jersey, ugg.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by sulyfjc View Post

we used to encounter those in Canada back in the day. Them and black flies. The black flies would take chunks of skin out...little bastids. Also encountered many of them up in the Adirondacks a couple of years ago. Still, would rather deal with them than tarantulas, scorpions and cactuses to fall into!! And 110* heat.
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

J:
    Never found anything that works. Had to double check the loogie to verify I hacked out a massive fly/gnat last week...blar
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    We definitely had flies up in Prescott in the summer. You'd breath them in or they'd fly into your nose or ears too. They got bad at times. Don't think it was a problem in cooler Flagstaff though.

The mosquitoes in Alaska get bad, but if you use deet and generally keep moving, not too bad in the places with trails. Hikers are not so lucky though. The flies get worse than the mosquitoes, there'll be biting ones that work their way under my jersey, ugg.
    Yeah. I unfortunately live in Phoenix, meaning it's so dry, would love to live around precott ir Flagstaff where I know the trails are way nicer. We do have tiny mosquitoes, but I heard deer flies are nasty.

CEO Product Failure
    Ah...trail 401 in Crusted Butte...really could've used that fly paper. Never had a worse experience with flies than that ride.