Looking for rides in July for Cummings GA and Venice Florida areas...- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Looking for rides in July for Cummings GA and Venice Florida areas...

Hey, I'll be in the Georgia area for a day or two in July, and I'd like to atleast ride a GA trail once before I'm to old. I'm visiting the parents in Cummings, but I have no idea where that even is! Not sure if there is a trail for 500 miles.

And, I'll be in the Venice Florida area for 2 weeks during early July, so I'd like to do some rides there as well. I'd be willing to travel a bit for the Florida rides. I'll be on vacation there, and I don't want to fall out of shape.

I'm 40, but I've been riding for several years. So, I should be able to keep up with just about anyone short of an all out racer! But, I'd try to hang with you as well!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.I.D. KEVIN
    Hey, I'll be in the Georgia area for a day or two in July, and I'd like to atleast ride a GA trail once before I'm to old. I'm visiting the parents in Cummings, but I have no idea where that even is! Not sure if there is a trail for 500 miles.

And, I'll be in the Venice Florida area for 2 weeks during early July, so I'd like to do some rides there as well. I'd be willing to travel a bit for the Florida rides. I'll be on vacation there, and I don't want to fall out of shape.

I'm 40, but I've been riding for several years. So, I should be able to keep up with just about anyone short of an all out racer! But, I'd try to hang with you as well!

Kevin
    Kevin,

You might want to x-post this to the SE section, might have more traffic.

bob
    mtbr member
    I can't help you with Georgia but there are many here who can. Florida I can help you with. From Venice you aren't too far from Alafia State Park, which is just west of Tampa and IMBA gave the trail the "epic" designation. Here's a link with driving directions. www.swampclub.org

The Santos trails are further off but still not to be missed. You could do it as a long day trip or an over nighter. www.omba.org

mtbr member

You'll be in a prime spot..

...as Cummings is strategicly located within a short ride to anywhere in north Ga. being just north of Atlanta. That's kinda no-man's-land for me as I avoid Atlanta at all costs (I live in central Ga). When I ride n. Ga. it's usually the Ellijay, Dalonaga or Blueridge area. The first thing that comes to mind is Blankets Creek. Never ridden there but I've heard nothing but good things about it, plus, it's fairly close to Cummings. Gainesville's fairly close as well, you'll find the Chicopee Woods trails there. Both are less than an hours drive if I'm not wrong. Personally, if it were me I'd make the short drive north the the mountains (you'll pracitally be in the foothills anyway) and check out Bull Mountain, Bear Creek or something up that way.

I love Pisgah
    Heeeeey Doc...how was the Ag race course? I'm preriding it this Sat. Just wondering. I've heard some damage is about.

Jun 2004
    Bob, that is very helpful. I'm a active member of a group that makes and maintains the trails in Michigan, so it will be fun to met some other trail slaves from the Florida area.

Doc, would you, or anyone, have the links to some club that offers group rides on some of the mentioned trails in the Ga. area?? I'd much rather spend some time with some fellow riders vs. exploring on my own.

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Venice FL...riding and other stuff

Closest trail to Venice would be the Myakahatchee Environmental trails at Northport. Haven't actually ridden this trail, but you can find reviews on it in the MTBR Trail Reviews - Florida section. A little further away, and a whole lot nicer, are the Alafia River trails in Brandon (right by Tampa), Carter Road Park and The Toe in Lakeland. There are also the Wilderness Trails parks right north of Tampa, about 20 miles of trail but no technical challenge at all. As suggested above, check out the Swamp Club for details. The Lakeland trails are maintained by the Ridge Riders club, and you'll have to contact them if you want to ride The Toe, as it is a private park. Carter Road is a county park, so there's no problem there. All of these trails are reviewed, with driving directions, on the MTBR Trail Reviews - Florida section, so you should be able to find them fairly easily. On another topic, while you are in Venice, take a ride south along the beach and find Gasperson Beach. It is one of the most pristine beaches in Florida. Last I was there, you had to park at the north end and walk in. No vehicular traffic for about 12 miles. Great place to fish, too, if you're into that, particularly around the rock piles that occur every 100 yards or so along the beach. Also the best source of sharks teeth that I've ever seen anywhere. Folks that look for them by straining sand through specially constructed nets usually can find 10-15 nice ones a day. Venice Inlet, either side, is also real nice. Have fun!

mtbr member

Duck I just sent you...

...an e-mail regarding the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Heeeeey Doc...how was the Ag race course? I'm preriding it this Sat. Just wondering. I've heard some damage is about.

mtbr member
    I would highly recommend Alafia River if you are going to be in Venice for 2 weeks. I would imagine that it is the best/closest trails to you. If you have more time and want to ride other areas Carter Road, the TOE and Santos are all great choices as well. Let me know when you want to ride and I can try to meet you and show you around the park.

Bill

Jun 2004
    Bill, I'll be in town from June 30th thru July 11th. So, I can ride most any day during that 11-12 day period. I'd like to see some trails, but I really need to stay in shape for a 50 mile race in August. So, I'll be riding one way or another!

Kevin

Apr 2004
    I think your best bet for a close ride would be the trails in Chicopee. they are not too far off exit 14 I believe off of the 985. That's pretty close to cumming. If you can drive for at least 2 hours while there, then you could head towards Ellijay and do the Bull / Jake Mountain trails, that's soom good riding too.

mtbr member
    I'll be able to ride on the weekends during the time you are in town, so maybe that first Saturday (7/3) would be a good time to meet up. Once you get the feel of the Alafia, it would be pretty easy for you go back and ride it on your own. Its a real fun place to ride - it is mostly a collection of small loops that can be linked together for one long ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0