Logging Roads- Mtbr.com

Thread: Logging Roads

Old Fart, Crank Warrior

Logging Roads

We're on the North Oregon Coast -- foothills of the Oregon Coast Range, and in the back yard of literally millions of acres, miles and miles of logging roads.

The "red" trail was an 8.5 mile loop I did Thursday, 1,256' of ascent, lots of walking. The purple in the foreground is proposed access, routes, loops, and places to explore. This view is an "oblique" -- and so there's perspective. The red trail in the background is about the same distance as the loop and approach in the foreground.

I realize there's not much technical about riding a logging road. The only issues I've come up with are not having the front wheel wash out in loose gravel on descents, and maintaining balance and a "line of travel" on steep ascents in loose gravel.

We're running a Trek 3700, disc brake, hard-tail. Suntour V3 fork. Entry bike, stock except for toe clips. I walk up the long climbs because it's less work and about as fast.

The GPS (Garmin Oregon 450t) is keeping track of distance, elevation, speed . . . and sorting out just exactly where I am. Last run we climbed a ridge (walking, walking, walking), got a great view of the ocean and surrounds, then descend down the other side and return along the bottom of the ridge. We've been driving past these logging areas for years. Now we're out in them . . . and having a good time too.

For me it's about interval training, aerobics, conditioning. We're 63, down about 50 lbs since November, and "passionate" about the riding. We like to keep both wheels on the ground.

The signature here links to my blog. Lately it's been bicycle (some road cycling), but there's some hiking, walking and a lot of discussion about diet, exercise, and getting fit.

That's my passion -- I'm betting I'm not alone here!

Last edited by AllisonWunderland; 06-20-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Remove the over-width jpg.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

local trails rider
    I don't necessarily need lots of technical features to have a good time on a ride. Not all the time anyway. My main "requirement" is that going a few minutes in a straight line is long enough: after that it gets dull.

Do you have the possibility to get some photos of where you ride? That would give us a better idea about the character of your logging roads. I bet they are different from what I usually see.

In the last few days, I've had reasons to stay away from trails: too wet for my liking being a major one. So I went riding mainly on paved roads, streets and paths. Some of the residential areas have nice twisty streets that I could go round and round but that would feel artificial: I prefer the illusion that I am going somewhere even if it is just around a loop. On thursday, a piece of singletrack on top of a "noise wall" between road and residential area called my name and I decided to take it on the bike with fat slicks. Suddenly I heard a strange sound just above me and turned to look. Sure enough, I slipped on the loose sand. Might as well get a phone snapshot of the "disturbance".

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...2d4m430phr40uf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Logging Roads-16062011553_p.jpg  

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

thecentralscrutinizer
    I thnk fire roads are as good as anything for riding...I personally like a mix when I can get it.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Do you have the possibility to get some photos of where you ride? That would give us a better idea about the character of your logging roads. I bet they are different from what I usually see.
    Photos -- Hmmmmmmm . . . It's coast range timber country. The "crop" is douglas fir, spruce, cedar, hemlock. We get 100" or more annual rainfall, speaking of wet trails. That's probably half the reason I ride on the logging roads. Trails here are mud holes, boggy, wet, all year long.

This is not my photo, but it's the same area. Try to imagine clear cuts, and elevated vistas.

~Disc~Golf~
    We?
    You and ?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    We?
    You and ?
    It's an "editorial we" . . . Years and years of journalism, writing, publishing . . .

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A very good test of fitness is if you are faster on the bike when going up long hills or faster if you walk...

Obviously the fitter you are the steeper hill you can continuosly ride...

The worst ones are where the cat skinner drove up the mountain side at the maximum grade his machine could push steadily something like 20 %....once you can ride those for several thousand feet you are there.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    It's not a fitness issue. It's a balance and hold the line issue. Not enough forward momentum to negotiate the larger rocks and loose gravel patches on the road. I loose traction, then lose equilibrium, then lose the line of travel.

Unlike when riding on the road, I see no "disgrace" on the MTB in dismounting and walking up the incline. It's less wrestling than trying to ride a line on the loose road surface.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderland View Post
    It's not a fitness issue.Oh yes it is It's a balance and hold the line issue. Not enough forward momentum to negotiate the larger rocks and loose gravel patches on the road. I loose traction, then lose equilibrium, then lose the line of travel. So more momentum would help???

Unlike when riding on the road, I see no "disgrace" on the MTB in dismounting and walking up the incline. It's less wrestling than trying to ride a line on the loose road surface.
    No disgrace at all....

However....beter fitness means faster up the hill for longer...oh yeah and faster means more momentum and a better line..lots more room to gain traction.....

One day some guy is gonna blow by you riding up a hill you can barely make...then you will get it.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    No disgrace at all....

However....beter fitness means faster up the hill for longer...oh yeah and faster means more momentum and a better line..lots more room to gain traction.....

One day some guy is gonna blow by you riding up a hill you can barely make...then you will get it.
    I'm 63 yrs old. My last road ride was 43 miles at 15.4 mph avg pace. I didn't "pick up the pace" until about 20 miles out.

Besides which, it's not a race.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 63 yrs old. My last road ride was 43 miles at 15.4 mph avg pace. I didn't "pick up the pace" until about 20 miles out.

Besides which, it's not a race.
    Excuses Excuses......just cause it is not a race doesn't mean you arn't out there to improve your fitness....

Lots of people have a great deal of fun challenging themselves and thier fitness...

Walk if you want??? ride if you can???? I pick the second over the first.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Excuses Excuses......just cause it is not a race doesn't mean you arn't out there to improve your fitness....

Lots of people have a great deal of fun challenging themselves and thier fitness...

Walk if you want??? ride if you can???? I pick the second over the first.
    Go read my blog -- in the signature.

Afric Pepperbird
    We're on the North Oregon Coast -- foothills of the Oregon Coast Range, and in the back yard of literally millions of acres, miles and miles of logging roads.

The "red" trail was an 8.5 mile loop I did Thursday, 1,256' of ascent, lots of walking. The purple in the foreground is proposed access, routes, loops, and places to explore. This view is an "oblique" -- and so there's perspective. The red trail in the background is about the same distance as the loop and approach in the foreground.

I realize there's not much technical about riding a logging road. The only issues I've come up with are not having the front wheel wash out in loose gravel on descents, and maintaining balance and a "line of travel" on steep ascents in loose gravel.

We're running a Trek 3700, disc brake, hard-tail. Suntour V3 fork. Entry bike, stock except for toe clips. I walk up the long climbs because it's less work and about as fast.

The GPS (Garmin Oregon 450t) is keeping track of distance, elevation, speed . . . and sorting out just exactly where I am. Last run we climbed a ridge (walking, walking, walking), got a great view of the ocean and surrounds, then descend down the other side and return along the bottom of the ridge. We've been driving past these logging areas for years. Now we're out in them . . . and having a good time too.

For me it's about interval training, aerobics, conditioning. We're 63, down about 50 lbs since November, and "passionate" about the riding. We like to keep both wheels on the ground.

The signature here links to my blog. Lately it's been bicycle (some road cycling), but there's some hiking, walking and a lot of discussion about diet, exercise, and getting fit.

That's my passion -- I'm betting I'm not alone here!

Oregon coastal riding kinda blows. You may as well head towards Wilson River from Astoria. Decent riding "close to the coast".

Anywho, have you posted much in the Oregon forum? I've not seen you much around there yet. Welcome.

Signed, one very, very happy Bendite.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Allison, congrats on the weight loss. Type II diabetic huh? Is the exercise helping with this?

I am a Type I and took up riding in October. I go to the doctor every 4 months, between Nov. & March I had lost 11 pounds, but was only riding up to 5 miles a day. Am now up to usually 15 miles a day, mostly on small town streets with lots of hills. I used to take a total of 67 units of insulin a day (5 shots) and now I am down to 52 units per day. Not sure on the weight loss, am guessing around 25 pounds. If I have high blood sugars in the evenings, I will crank the seat up on my wifes bike and go for a ride down the 2 track farm roads in the sandhills where I live. This is some of the most brutal stuff to ride in, tires sink in about 2 inches, it is always changing when the wind blows.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    I personally like a mix when I can get it.
    I got a mix today, trying out if it is possible to ride a bike without clipless pedals

Dirt paths that I think of as the Ski Trails. More ups and downs than something designed just for getting from point A to point B.

A lakeside trail I've ridden maybe once or twice before

A little trail that gets a bit overgrown in summer but is much more interesting than the option on the right

(Of course, there was more but I am not going to stop for taking photos of everything)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Toe clips -- I've been riding/racing since about 1960. I can't quite imagine riding without some sort of toe strap in system. I put clipless pedals on the two road bikes. The MTB's have clips, stationary spin bike has clips. They're second nature. I don't feel "tied in" and don't worry at all about falling while tied in.

Oregon forum . . . Hmmmmmmmm . . . I haven't searched that far.

Wilson River -- That's about 60, 75 miles south.

Type 2 Diabetes -- all my blood work was over the margin, back in Sept. I started exercise and diet Oct. 26, and now all the counts are well within normal range. I don't take meds, nor have any diet restrictions -- other than not going nutz on refined sugars.

mtbr member
    Awesome Pix.

Thanks!

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    A mile down to the end of my dead-end road (out in the country, no cell-phone service, no cable TV), I've been piecing together the edge of the Gustafson Bros. logging land. If I head off the end of my dead-end road, 1/4 mile of foot path, some "no path" in the woods and then across the slash of a clear-cut, I get to the end of a logging road. That connects me with the whole area without having to drive or ride on the highway to get to the woods.

The bush-whacking is not too arduous, some blow-down alder, and a couple drainage ditches. The slash field is steep, and funky footing. Ahhhhhhhhh, but it's a serious full-body workout. I have to walk and get the bike across some obstacles. (I like to think it's like Navy Seals and tactical insertion on a maneuver )

Once we reach the road, it's nice riding -- various states of logging road from one-lane hard gravel to abandoned/grown-over one lane road, which is pretty near single-track stuff.

We run a track on the GPS (Garmin Oregon 450t) which also logs altitude. Not unusual to get 1,500 ft. of ascent. Top of one ridge is 1,200 ft. and the "start" is at 40 ft.

We're getting more adept at ascent on loose gravel, holding a line in it, maintaining forward momentum.

Lots and lots of road out there, lots of dead-end. I spend considerable time looking at Garmin Base Camp and Google Earth to figure out routes. And then, when out riding I need to stop at junctions and navigate. Easy to get lost.

Wildlife -- I haven't seen any cougar or bear . . . yet. We're in cougar/bear country. Lots of Roosevelt elk, Blacktail deer, Bald Eagle, Redtail hawk, coyote, ravens, barn swallows . . .

I look for "trails" but there aren't any. The game trails for elk are not open enough to ride on, and no one hikes in the woods here. Hunters out here are on bicycles, just like me. The area is closed to motor vehicles. Logging roads, clear-cuts, woods . . . And lately, even in June/July it's been wet. (Wet is the down-side to single track in this region. The trails are bogs, even in late August. We get 100 inches or more rain annually.)