let's ride noble canyon....- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

let's ride noble canyon....

here's the scoop. next tuesday, i'll be in el centro for business. i'll have time for a late afternoon ride at noble canyon. i have been having a hell of a time finding a bike to rent, so i'm relegated to looking for a loaner. i can drive and score some post ride pizza or whatever. well, i can drive if i can pick you up in el centro. also, if you're someone that can rent me a bike, and let me return it later that evening, most likely after business hours, let me know.

thanks,

skeeter

mtbr member
    Well, at least El Centro's not out of the way or anything...

You don't want to ride Noble, anyway: there are roving bands of hungry mountain lions in the adjacent areas and this dude on a Turner that hides under a bridge, demanding "toll" from all those who pass.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil

not if you live in el centro. someone's got to live out that way.

i might be able to rent a bike from full cycle in pine valley, but returning it is the hard part.

i have to fly into yuma, last minute tickets to san diego were out-effin-rageous.

Jan 2004

maybe

I live in in Spring Valley (east county), which around 30 mins away from Alpine (aka Hell Pine), I might be free that day, not sure though, its like a 50-50. Why don't you post in the SoCal forum and ridemonkey. There's a lot of East Countiers in ridemonkey.com. If you have time, I feel like doing an epic ride, doing Noble, Cuyamaca and Laguna. While we're at it might as well hit Anderson Truck Trail. That's a lot of milage !!!

Dec 2003
    i take off tomorrow morning, and thought i'd check back in on this thread. if anyone has some info on full cycle, as to whether they are still open or not, please let me know. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What would you be doing in El Centro?

Why would anybody want to come to this valley? It was only 115* yesterday in the afternoon. 88* at 6:00 am with high humidity this morning.

I have not ridden any of the trails mentioned since the fire, what is open? I spend all my time in the mountains, but on a road bike. Too hot to ride down here.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter
    i take off tomorrow morning, and thought i'd check back in on this thread. if anyone has some info on full cycle, as to whether they are still open or not, please let me know. thanks.
    Full Cycle in Pine Valley went teats up. I would suggest contacting EBasil. He would probably be happy to let you borrow his bike(it's fairly new).

Aquaholic
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil

You don't want to ride Noble, anyway: there are roving bands of hungry mountain lions in the adjacent areas and this dude on a Turner that hides under a bridge, demanding "toll" from all those who pass.

Just so you know, my ill informed friend....self pay stations have been installed.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 08-09-2004 at 01:31 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter Taylor
    Why would anybody want to come to this valley? It was only 115* yesterday in the afternoon. 88* at 6:00 am with high humidity this morning.

I have not ridden any of the trails mentioned since the fire, what is open? I spend all my time in the mountains, but on a road bike. Too hot to ride down here.
    i have to visit a plant in mexicali. i've been out on the fireroads and hiking trails in the cuyamaca state park a few times, and wanted to give noble canyon a try. i've watched mountain bike bills videos of the area, and it looked like a good challenge.

usually, i can find a rental pretty easy while i'm traveling, but having zip luck this time around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question....

you would'n't happen to be with Spinergy? Last guy who came from Ohio for Spinergy in their maquiladora rode with us on probably the hottest day of the summer a few years back. That was when we were doing hammer sessions in the late afternoon. I do not think he did too well. I no longer am capable of riding like that in the heat, my body does not work well in these temps anymore. There is a small group who does a desert ride out west of the valley on Tuesdays around 6:00. The Finish LIne Bike Shop in El Centro could get you in touch with the guy who does that. Then there are a few of us who do not ride in the heat, but head up the hill about 4:00 tomorrow afternoon for a couple hrs of road riding. About a 50 minute drive from El Centro.
    Monte at the finish Line might set you up, if you state your case. I do not know him well, but seems like a nice guy. I have never heard of them renting bikes in the past, but then again, who would normally rent a bike in Imperial Valley?

Dec 2003
    no, not with spinergy. an automotive plastics manufacturer..

i called finish line in el centro, no rentals. it looks like i'll be checking into my room and watching cable tv. i thought about checking out a ghost town (yeah, there's a web site that maps out ghost towns), but not much in the area. thanks for the addtional info on the road ride, but i did 100k on saturday, and am in more of a mood for dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Just so you know, my ill informed friend....self pay stations have been installed.
    I do not understand. It has been awhile since I have done Noble and the last time I was by there on my road bike, the upper section was closed. Even that has been awhile.
    Self pay like in state or county Parks? How much and to who? I though that is what the adventure pass was for. What is actually open up there now? Cuyamaca Park?
    Thanks,
    Carter