Lessons on Mother's Day- Mtbr.com
    amar la vida de dos niner

Lessons on Mother's Day

I hung out with my kids for a while this morning, then loaded up the car to meet David for a ride on Barton Creek Greenbelt. It was an absolutely beautiful day today in Austin: dry air and a high in the 70s, with lots of sunshine.

I began my ride alone, as I was meeting David on the trail. And it became apparent pretty quickly that things were not right with my drive train. The gears in the rear wouldn't move up or down very well (so cable adjustment didn't help), the chain would sometimes come off the cog set on the inside, sometimes on the outside, and there was lots of ghost shifting and popping if I applied much pressure to the pedals--which resulted in me having to bail in the middle of any steep or technical climbs. *sigh* We pulled off the trail for a while to see if David could do anything for it, but it just wasn't to be.

I started to feel very frustrated, because I had a window of time between family obligations, and it was slipping away. So I took a few deep breaths, and relied on my experience as a mother. One thing I know from having kids: things will rarely turn out as planned, so you better have more than one option.

So I put my bike in my car,
    1) pulled on my running shoes,
    2-5) and ran along with David while he rode, camera in hand. And it gave me a chance to appreciate David's smooth riding skills, as I was able to observe him much more than I would have from the bike.
    6) David and I then parted ways, as I needed to get back to the car to meet Carla.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

amar la vida de dos niner
    1) As I ran alone, another bit of mother-wisdom struck me: don't be so goal-oriented that you forget to appreciate what is wonderful around you.

After I took some shots of the gorgeous trees and blue sky, I put my camera back in its case and kept on running.

2) And then something, some small voice inside of me said: Why not keep that camera out, just in case you come across something that you need to shoot quickly, or miss out on. Ah yes, another mothering chestnut: trust your intuition. And about 30 seconds later, I was passed by this guy. I've seen unicyclists on the greenbelt several times over the years, and always wished I had a camera. Ta da!

The little boy in the family that I passed just beyond the unicyclist said "Happy Mother's Day!" as I ran by. Too friggin cute.

3-6) My last lesson of the day was to come in the form of Carla, who I've been working with for several months. She handled practically everything I threw at her today with finesse and poise. She has made such incredible progress recently, that I am going to have to rethink my approach to training her! There's a definite parallel with raising kids: just when you have things figured out, they go and move to the next level of maturity, and there you are, back at the drawing board!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day, especially you mountain-biking mamas. Remember, they carry a special wisdom with them, one we all can learn from.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scorpionwoman; 05-11-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: missing pic
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Members who have read this thread: 0