Las Vegas wetlands- Mtbr.com
    E !

Las Vegas wetlands

I got up a liitle early today and decided to see how far i can make it to lake meade from my house. About a year ago i was able to ride to the lake and back. Which was about 22 miles. Well things have changed behind the neighborhood. This area is the las vegas wash. It is the natural drainage system from the city into lake meade. The wash is actually the water that has allready passed through the water treatment facility. Now it seems that the "beautifull" lake las vegas resort is actually where our treated waste water ends up. The route is mostly hardpack dirt road with some doubletrack through burned up brush.
    Here's a few pics from the exploration.
    #1 Signage behind neighborhood( Don't go past the fence, You might sprout a third eyeball)
    #2 Coming back around from a really muddy section. The brush back here is all burned up from a fire 3 years ago.Soot all over.
    #3 At 5 miles out is this. A great bird veiwing location. Bottom left is a bird. I'm no expert on birds but, this guy is about 3 foot tall.
    #4 at about 6 miles i came into graded road. Around a hill and i was at lake las vegas.A shot of monte lago resort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

E !

continued

After deciding not to go inside for a cup of coffee i pedaled pavement for 2 miles or so all uphill as far as i could go. This is the end of the road.
    #1 old glory
    #2 lake las vegas
    #3 I guess some people would like to swim here
    #4 Mt. Charleston in background

Nothing here
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    After deciding not to go inside for a cup of coffee i pedaled pavement for 2 miles or so all uphill as far as i could go. This is the end of the road.
    #1 old glory
    #2 lake las vegas
    #3 I guess some people would like to swim here
    #4 Mt. Charleston in background
    looks like someone was using that sign as target practice!

E !

Cool-blue Rhythm Ending

#1 It looks like you could cross here. Maybe during the summer
    #2 Another bird shot
    Wow look what i came across. I nice rest stop. Seems how there are alot of bike against couch pics here's a few more.
    #3 me kicking back
    #4 the old hardtail all muddy.
    All done and muddy, It ended up being 16 miles out and back.
    When visiting vegas. Stick to bootleg canyon. That's the best riding here.

desert dweller

Wetlands Area

Hey E!
    We did some trail surveys out there several years ago. Henderson is putting together a multiple use trail system around the wash that will include some easy family type trails. The day we rode out there we covered 25 miles and couldn't find many existing trails. Lots of dirt rodes and atv damage though.

I did put together a suggested trail system map (with BARTA name on it) with outer and inner loops to lessen the traffic a little.

We were brainstorming with the BLM rec planners and we thought a trail system that would tie the Wetlands with the Sunrise Mountain Area would be pretty cool and if used heavily may even lower the illegal dumping and stuff on that side of town. Let's see what the firm that in engineering the trails comes up with.

Have you explored the Whitney Mesa area yet? We used to be able to park near Vo-tech High School and ride a clockwise loop around the mesa. Development may have ruined that ride now though. Last time I did it was 2 years ago.

mc

desert dweller

Lake Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by E !
    I got up a liitle early today and decided to see how far i can make it to lake meade from my house. About a year ago i was able to ride to the lake and back. Which was about 22 miles. Well things have changed behind the neighborhood. This area is the las vegas wash. It is the natural drainage system from the city into lake meade. The wash is actually the water that has allready passed through the water treatment facility. Now it seems that the "beautifull" lake las vegas resort is actually where our treated waste water ends up. The route is mostly hardpack dirt road with some doubletrack through burned up brush.
    The water from the wash is piped under Lake Las Vegas so it won't contaminate the little resort pond.

mc

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice couch!

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    The water from the wash is piped under Lake Las Vegas so it won't contaminate the little resort pond.

mc
    I work (indirectly) for SNWA and LVVWD, and we're constantly hearing about the drought. Every time I go to Lake Las Vegas, I think "so this is where all our water goes"... all those lakes, ponds, waterfalls, fountains and sprinklers must make for a lot of evaporation in that little oasis

- Jen.

E !

Cool-blue Rhythm Vo-tech

Hey E!
    We did some trail surveys out there several years ago. Henderson is putting together a multiple use trail system around the wash that will include some easy family type trails. The day we rode out there we covered 25 miles and couldn't find many existing trails. Lots of dirt rodes and atv damage though.

I did put together a suggested trail system map (with BARTA name on it) with outer and inner loops to lessen the traffic a little.

We were brainstorming with the BLM rec planners and we thought a trail system that would tie the Wetlands with the Sunrise Mountain Area would be pretty cool and if used heavily may even lower the illegal dumping and stuff on that side of town. Let's see what the firm that in engineering the trails comes up with.

Have you explored the Whitney Mesa area yet? We used to be able to park near Vo-tech High School and ride a clockwise loop around the mesa. Development may have ruined that ride now though. Last time I did it was 2 years ago.

mc
    Has had no trespass signs and a fence all around it for about 2 years now. I think the signs are actually LVPD. On the sunset side i don't hink there is a fence though. About the wash. I noticed it has cleaned up( i mean vagrants not living back there) this past year. Probably after those few summer fires. There is a cool MX track and also a paintball feild set up at the end of pabco rd.. I think the north eastside of the wash towards sunrise should be an interesting ride to explore one day. Also the duck creek trails are a nice enough area to take the kids out riding. Once you get to the wetlands visitor center though,it is no biking allowed. I used to ride that area until it was developed.
    Last edited by E !; 01-17-2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: more text

Big B's Trails
    Hey E!

mc
    What ever happened with this.... Dead in the water?
    As there's no trail system and it's 2011 I'm assuming so.... We so need to develop more riding areas to alleviate the over riding of cottonwood and bc.... Maybe we could resurrect this idea?
    I dig dirt!

Threadkiller
    No doubt. Not my side of town but the possibility of new trail will always get my attention.
    Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.