Want Smiley Sauce w/that?

Kokopelli & Porcupine -- Oh my achin' bod..

My first ride from up high. Temps were perfect -- chilly at the top and not too warm until I hit the canyon at the bottom. 4300 ft. drop in 28 miles -- *lots* o' bumpy fun. Here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cannesdo; 05-25-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Certified Porsche Tech
    That section your walking down looks ridable from that angle, or was it a no go?

great scenery! I'm jealous.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
    That section your walking down looks ridable from that angle, or was it a no go?

great scenery! I'm jealous.
    How about from this angle? That's one of the scarier sections I've ever come across anywhere, and I've only heard of a few people who could ride it. Walking it feels vertical, and there's the hard right turn at the tree you have to make or you get jettisoned off the cliff. The second pic looks across the valley to that chute, where it comes down off the cliff at the top of the frame. When we encountered it, I honestly did not know that people ride it. I did not even conceive that it was possible.

Technically it is ridable, but if you can make it you'd be part of a very elite few.

Deceiving, I know. When I saw the top part in a video I thought, I could totally do that. Then I saw it in person, *and* what was around the corner:
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

mtbr member
    Great pics Cannesdo. Koko down is good. Hazard Down is Better. Burro Down is Best!

Oh, and here's a video of Shizzle (not Fo) cleaning Upper Body Bag.

Mad props to Shiz. This is not an easy section. I've made it cleanly down to the notch just above the tree and fumbled over the edge shown in your last pic, but never cleaned it. This last month when I was there it was in really bad shape. Really torn up with a lot of loose sand on all the rocks all the way down. I didn't even try it this time.

Here's a couple more perspectives that give you a little bit better idea of the puzzle.

The first one of me just about to bail out. (photo credit xcguy)
    The second of Shizzle nailing it. (photo credit Dirt Bag, I think)
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Koko down is good. Hazard Down is Better. Burro Down is Best!
    Oh reallllllllly.... I'll have to check those out. Yeah, it was really hard to even walk down the notch without slipping. Floor bows for doing as much as you did. Yowz.

Do you ever come home from a ride like that feeling like you've got the spins? I feel like I'm still out on the trail. Like my nervous system is fried.....None of this stuff affected me while I was doing it but thinking about it later and looking at some of the view pics I feel all woozy. Maybe it's my blood pressure bottoming out...again. Salt...need salt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    whats the guy in blue with the funny mustache doing in the last pic? looks like the robot dance to me...

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Great pics Cannesdo. Koko down is good. Hazard Down is Better. Burro Down is Best!

Oh, and here's a video of Shizzle (not Fo) cleaning Upper Body Bag.

Mad props to Shiz. This is not an easy section. I've made it cleanly down to the notch just above the tree and fumbled over the edge shown in your last pic, but never cleaned it. This last month when I was there it was in really bad shape. Really torn up with a lot of loose sand on all the rocks all the way down. I didn't even try it this time.

Here's a couple more perspectives that give you a little bit better idea of the puzzle.

The first one of me just about to bail out. (photo credit xcguy)
    The second of Shizzle nailing it. (photo credit Dirt Bag, I think)

WHOA!

I'd so be huggin' that tree.

Is that the name of this section, "Upper Body Bag"? That's beautiful. Can't think of a more perfect name.

mtbr member
    Yep. Totally rideable. BUT...when I'm on a ~$2500+ vacation, I tend to use the rule,
    "walk today to ride tomorrow," when I come across sketch of that caliber.

Now, if I was a "local", I'd be rolling that. Or trying.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan6161
    whats the guy in blue with the funny mustache doing in the last pic? looks like the robot dance to me...

it's such a magical combination of xc spandex, body armor and mustache. i would expect nothing less than the robot on porcupine rim from him. he's totally stealing the picture.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    it's such a magical combination of xc spandex, body armor and mustache. i would expect nothing less than the robot on porcupine rim from him. he's totally stealing the picture.
    I think he's a puppet and the guy in the red shirt is his master. If you look closely you can see his lips barely move: "Go Mr. Shizzle, make that turn! Cha cha cha!"

Hey wait a minute...now that I look even more closely, Red Guy is controlling Shizzle on the end of that stick! Shizzle's a puppet too! Dammit KRob, you had me going there for a minute!

mtbr member
    looks like a very cool trail,. great pics: )

TNC
    noMAD man
    KRob, I talked to several of the locals at the shops on this year's trip a couple of weeks ago, and they all told me that "The Chute"...or "Body Bag"...is in horrible conditon this season, and almost no one can ride it. The silt is thick and loose on the rocks and the ground below, and tires won't hardly stick. Upon getting there and seeing it for myself, I gotta agree. A couple of years ago, one of our group rode that on his Bullit and made it look easy. This year, that place doesn't even look the same. Some locals were considering doing some modification to try and "impove" it a bit. This year one could hardly walk down the darned thing. I'm wondering if it would be better immediately after a shower when the silt and powder was off the rocks and the ground was better packed. As it was when we came across it this year, there was almost no traction whatsoever...for feet or tires. Either way, I'm too old and feeble to ride that section...LOL!...and even that excellent last pic of yours doesn't really do it justice.

Oh...and I think "Mr. Robot" is sticking to the rock and ledge there because of the angle. Again...the pic doesn't do complete justice to how steep everything there really is. Regardless, KRob that's a darned good pic. You can even see the rocks instead of a thick layer of powder over everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

KRob--here's some cleaned up shots of your attempt

I took pics of three riders' attempts. All of them thought there was a chance to clean this drop, all had second thoughts at the moment of truth at the sharp right hand turn at the "bottom".

Notice the determined look of the first shot.
    Notice the body language of the second shot "I think I can, I think I can"
    Notice the body lean forward as brakes are applied in the last shot!

I don't know how anyone even makes it as far as KRob did. Big props for even attempting it.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

less is more
    Sweet! I have no bike for that. Closest is my GT STS. Mo pix!
    Finesse is everything.

Let's ride
    KRob has some big ones. I rode with him at Lunch Loops and the stuff he was trying made me feel like a girlie man.

Props dude.

I walked down that Notch, and I don't have the big brass ones to try it, among all my other excuses.
    Nice job to the dude that cleaned it, wow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What they tell me is

After bumping and grinding down this almost vertical series of ledges and whatnot...you have to be exactly in the right position at exactly the right time. Leaning too far left, kiss the tree. Too far right...well, I have a pic of what happens in that situation but I'm not going to post it. It's loads of skill just to get to the crux move and at that point luck has a lot to do with it.

What few people actually say is the glaring fact that an injured rider at that point is hours from getting aid. That has to weigh heavily on any sane riders' mind.

Certified Porsche Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by cannesdo
    Deceiving, I know. When I saw the top part in a video I thought, I could totally do that. Then I saw it in person, *and* what was around the corner:
    Thanks for putting that in perspective. I kinda figured it was gnarlier that it looked in the first pictures, that looks really sick thats for sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    KRob, I talked to several of the locals at the shops on this year's trip a couple of weeks ago, and they all told me that "The Chute"...or "Body Bag"...is in horrible conditon this season, and almost no one can ride it. The silt is thick and loose on the rocks and the ground below, and tires won't hardly stick. Upon getting there and seeing it for myself, I gotta agree.
    Agreed. It was very ugly this year. Like I said, I didn't even attempt it. Someone I met just above the chute said he'd seen some moto guys coming up it earlier that day. I'm not sure that's even possible but if it is it would've taken two or three guys pushing and pulling each bike with plenty of wheel spinning knobbies tearing the crap out of it. It's also been a very dry spring with lots of wind which hasn't helped either.

Some locals were considering doing some modification to try and "impove" it a bit.
    Eek. I hope not. I hate it when people "improve" stuff like that.

I'm wondering if it would be better immediately after a shower when the silt and powder was off the rocks and the ground was better packed.
    Yeah, I think a few good showers is all it needs. I'll be back in the fall to try it again.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oh reallllllllly.... I'll have to check those out.
    Check out Burro Down for sure.... but you'll have to wait until late July early August. It starts at 10,000 feet up in the La Salles and then climbs up to 11,200 foot Burro Pass before starting down. I did it last fall with the THC convention folks and it is one of the best rides ever. 35 miles with over 7,000 feet of descent and a mix of all kinds of riding (including Hazard County, UPS, Kokopelli, LPS, and Porc). Here's the full report of my trip. Scroll down to day 5 for the Burro Down ride. A few more pics of UBB on that thread too.

Do you ever come home from a ride like that feeling like you've got the spins? I feel like I'm still out on the trail. Like my nervous system is fried......
    Yeah, I'll get that after a long day in the saddle over demanding technical terrain. Just as I'm fading off to sleep it feels like I'm still riding, negotiating techy rocks and ledges, then I feel myself falling and I jerk awake with a start. Weird stuff.

Sorry to hijack your thread with all the UBB stuff. It's a crazy chute.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Here's some cleaned up shots of your attempt.
    yeah, thanks for reposting those pics. Those look a lot better than the originals. You are the photo shop master. Now see what you can do about that bush in the first pic.

I don't know how anyone even makes it as far as KRob did. Big props for even attempting it.
    Thanks, but I'm sure lots of people make it to that point......I'm not going to be satisfied until I clean that sucker. See you at the THC in September?
    Last edited by KRob; 05-27-2008 at 09:49 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Ohhhh, ok, yeah, I remember reading about Burro Down, just didn't know the the name of it. Sounds amazing. I'll check out your link. And you didn't hijack my thread, I'm learning a lot...

I've only been riding the technical rocky stuff for about three months -- Sedona then here, learning fast by doing. But I've been riding solo and I got a good sense on this ride of how many things can go wrong (ended up playing leapfrog with, then joining, a group of big group of guys from Seattle & Sacramento the last 10 miles)....bent derailleur, bent brake rotor, broken seat post clamp. I realized how far you are from help when you take that kind of ride, and I've had no mechanical problems on the trail myself other than flats, so that was an eye opener. I definitely won't take Burro Down alone.

My bike came out of it in one piece but I had my third endo ever (the other two were stupid, low speed "turning-around-to-look-for-traffic" flips on the road, just after getting the bike) so I decided it's time for knee and elbow pads as well. This one was stupid too. Was starting out from a break, moving slow, and hit a weird rock at the bottom of a 14" ledge I could *totally* handle and the next thing I know I'm in the air. But I have to say I'm a great crasher, didn't draw blood, just got a few bruises and some really superficial abrasions, although my knee isn't very happy about bending today.

But no one was around to see it, so technically, it didn't happen, right? "If a rider falls in the woods....."

I was pretty proud of myself though. I was the only woman in either of the shuttles and (with the exception of four guys who blew down that mountain at light speed) I, and one of the guys, were the first two back to town.

115 lbs of unstoppable, rockhopping power.

Hoo-ah.

A few more pics...lower down on Porcupine, and one shot of the creek at Amassa.

Praise Bob

Comments on riding flashbacks

Yeah, I'll get that after a long day in the saddle over demanding technical terrain. Just as I'm fading off to sleep it feels like I'm still riding, negotiating techy rocks and ledges, then I feel myself falling and I jerk awake with a start. Weird stuff.

Sorry to hijack your thread with all the UBB stuff. It's a crazy chute.

I just rode proc rim a few weeks ago and had to hike the chute. It was difficult to even walk down. The sugar sand over the rocks made it really slippery. I cant imaging how someone could generate enough traction to stick the first landing without going over the edge by the tree.

On another note, I wanted to comment on the "flashbacks". My wife and I had the exact same experience. As we were falling asleep that night I would relive the ride, but all exaggerated. I would enter a light sleep and have VERY vivid "dreams" of negotiating rocky ledges and kept jerking awake. It was really odd. Does anyone else have this experience?

skillz to pay billz
    a strange combination of tron and napoleon dynamite's brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I think he's a puppet and the guy in the red shirt is his master. If you look closely you can see his lips barely move: "Go Mr. Shizzle, make that turn! Cha cha cha!"

Hey wait a minute...now that I look even more closely, Red Guy is controlling Shizzle on the end of that stick! Shizzle's a puppet too! Dammit KRob, you had me going there for a minute!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yep...after a really fun and challenging day's ride...like at Moab and such...I almost always do that. I used to do it the night after a 100 mile motorcycle enduro event too. Frankly I look forward to it, as it's almost like being in a very fun video game. As you said, the jumps, the air time, and everything else is very exaggerated on the bicycle or dirt motor, which really makes it lots of fun. In my case, there is a good deal of excitement but not really much fear. It's like I know I'm dreaming and just go with it.

I almost always do that. I used to do it the night after a 100 mile motorcycle enduro event too. Frankly I look forward to it, as it's almost like being in a very fun video game.
    Funny, I was thinking that last night. I was wondering how many mtn. bikers are also video game addicts. When I look back on a ride and think about how much ground was covered, how much balancing, how many swerves, lifts, ledges...the fact that I can do it hours on end, to the point of exhaustion.....The challenges presented are really similar. The only difference, as you say, is that with mtb'ing, you're living the game.

I avoid video games because I'm missing the part of the brain that reminds you that occasionally, you need to eat and sleep. Fortunately,biking comes with physical limits. I actually feel all the jumps other people take and bring that home with me too, even though I didn't personally do them. It's a trip. I suppose it's like driving or getting off a boat. It takes the brain awhile to realize it's not moving anymore. Well, good to know it's normal.

It's funny though because I don't have any real fear of heights when I'm there, but later, the photos make me feel sick. Go figure.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yep...after a really fun and challenging day's ride...like at Moab and such...I almost always do that. I used to do it the night after a 100 mile motorcycle enduro event too. Frankly I look forward to it, as it's almost like being in a very fun video game. As you said, the jumps, the air time, and everything else is very exaggerated on the bicycle or dirt motor, which really makes it lots of fun. In my case, there is a good deal of excitement but not really much fear. It's like I know I'm dreaming and just go with it.
    Every once-in-awhile I dream I'm hitting a jump on my bike, but then it turns out to be a BIG jump, as in wayyyyy over my ability. I see the ground drop 20, 30, 40 feet below me and I fall, readying myself for the impact. That's about when I bolt awake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Falling to sleep dreaming of Moab

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I just rode proc rim a few weeks ago and had to hike the chute. It was difficult to even walk down. The sugar sand over the rocks made it really slippery. I cant imaging how someone could generate enough traction to stick the first landing without going over the edge by the tree.

On another note, I wanted to comment on the "flashbacks". My wife and I had the exact same experience. As we were falling asleep that night I would relive the ride, but all exaggerated. I would enter a light sleep and have VERY vivid "dreams" of negotiating rocky ledges and kept jerking awake. It was really odd. Does anyone else have this experience?
    If I'm having trouble nodding off I'll think of being in my truck, driving out of Moab either to Amasa Back parking lot or Sovereign. If I think of Amasa and concentrate real hard I make it to about the stream crossing then I'm out. If Sovereign sometimes I make it to the turnoff at Willow Springs then

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I would enter a light sleep and have VERY vivid "dreams" of negotiating rocky ledges and kept jerking awake. It was really odd. Does anyone else have this experience?
    What's in that pipe?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Actually Picasa--I still suck at Photoshop

yeah, thanks for reposting those pics. Those look a lot better than the originals. You are the photo shop master. Now see what you can do about that bush in the first pic.

Thanks, but I'm sure lots of people make it to that point......I'm not going to be satisfied until I clean that sucker. See you at the THC in September?
    I know you've got this whole series but these are clearer. Should have sent these to you in the first place. I hope to be at the THC.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great pics. And I am glad to read that most people think "The Chute" is not in ridable this year. I did LPS and Porc Rim two weeks ago. Could not go higher because of the snow. And upong arriving at this section there was a guy who had just broken his wrist. He was in a lot of pain. I offered to bring his bike down the chute for him but he refused saying "It strengthen the soul" or something similar. It looked too sketchy for me to try.

mtbr member
    wicked pics!

It has your name on it Pat! Matt! Jesse! And Jeff....whoooa..

banned

Riding the Body Bag Chute on a Hardtail

This link is of a 19 year old Whistler rider riding the chute on his hardtail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zyxb8FVjKk

Praise Bob

Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    What's in that pipe?

HA! That's another story.... :-)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc

Cripes, he made it look easy!

meh... whatever
    amen brother!

few rides can hold a candle to "the whole enchilada". boo-ya!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

TNC
    noMAD man
    That was interesting. People I've seen do it in the past kind of roll it quickly on bigger hit bikes, but that guy's trial method was pretty effective on a hardtail. Still...the Chute looks better in that pic that when I saw it in May of this year. That spot seems to change with erosion and traffic apparently. Most of these pics and vids still don't convey the steepness that's really present. Those of you who saw it this year can attest to that, I'll bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's like watching a major league baseball player hit a fastball

"That looks easy" you might say. "I could do that" you might say but you'd be wrong. It really is amazing to watch that Whistler rider make that "look easy" but go watch some world class trials exhibitions. They make it look easy, too, but in reality everything they do is impossible!

mtbr member

Nice work. You really appreciate how you have to be lined up just right when you arrive at the crux before dropping in by how much he bunny hops around getting set up for it.

The time I tried it when xcguy was shooting in the above pics I was lined up perfectly... I did a little track stand for a second or two right at the crux then lost my nerve and stepped out. Those big cajones rensho referenced must have been down in town sipping margaritas already that day. (my fork was acting up too.. no rebound damping.)

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I've been all over Moab the last six weeks and I never stepped on any rock that felt like the rock at the chute three days ago. Everything else around here you don't even have to think, you stick to it. This silty stuff was like ice on a ski run. At one point, down below, I actually used my bike like the edge of a ski, put it out in front of me across the path to slow my descent and I, and the bike, slid down together. I still ended up slipping onto my butt and I had shoes on with great grip. You can see the guy in the pic in the OP is sticking his foot out with caution and he's still on relatively flat ground. You had to step from flat spot to flat spot because anything even slightly on an angle...you'd start sliding.

How is it that this one spot was so slick when nothing else in the area is? And we had a rain the week before and more the week before that.

The view from above is deceiving. Silt issue aside. You can't truly appreciate this until you're on the chute looking down, or under it looking up.

meh... whatever
    You can't truly appreciate this until you're on the chute looking down, or under it looking up.
    or in the middle of hauling your bike down it...

This is a bit of a tangent but since a lot of you are familiar with this trail....The guidebook describes the Jackass Canyon section as "death on the right". I have to say, I don't find it all that scary, not scary at all to be honest. ? They say the same things about Portal -- how does it compare to that last stretch on Porcupine? I figure it must be worse. And if any of you are familiar with the north side of the airport loop in Sedona, how does Portal compare with that?

Nat
    mtbr member
    This is a bit of a tangent but since a lot of you are familiar with this trail....The guidebook describes the Jackass Canyon section as "death on the right". I have to say, I don't find it all that scary, not scary at all to be honest. ? They say the same things about Portal -- how does it compare to that last stretch on Porcupine? I figure it must be worse. And if any of you are familiar with the north side of the airport loop in Sedona, how does Portal compare with that?
    Portal is death on the left. For real. But you can walk the scary bits. Don't do it if you're scared of heights and light-headed.

banned
    And if any of you are familiar with the north side of the airport loop in Sedona, how does Portal compare with that?
    There is very little exposure on the Sedona Airport trail compared to Portal. The main problem with Airport is cactus and baby head ups when you get close to the top.

There is very little exposure on the Sedona Airport trail compared to Portal. The main problem with Airport is cactus and baby head ups when you get close to the top.
    I didn't do the airport loop. I was showing my parents around Sedona that day but did see that the start (or end) of that loop, on the north side, was mighty steep. I've heard a lot of cactus stories...ha...

EDR
    Portal is death on the left. For real. But you can walk the scary bits. Don't do it if you're scared of heights and light-headed.
    I rode Portal a few weeks back for the first time. I walked a few of the 'death' spots. 3 riders behind us cleaned the ENTIRE thing on the way down. The one guys hands were shaking like a leaf when he stopped to chat with us.

Cannessdo: nothing in Sedona compares to Portal, or most of Moab for that matter.

banned
    "That looks easy" you might say. "I could do that" you might say but you'd be wrong. It really is amazing to watch that Whistler rider make that "look easy" but go watch some world class trials exhibitions. They make it look easy, too, but in reality everything they do is impossible!
    xc:

You are so right about this kid. I got to go on another ride with him (this time he had a 6" kona) and a couple other Whistler riders (one of which was Richie Schley). We took the Whistler Peak chair to the highest part of Whistler Ski area.

After leaving the chair we rode down the backside of the mountain to the Kyber trail. This is one of the original old school trails, which isn't ridden much due to the big climb to get to it if you don't access it from the Peak, which is guide only.

If you have ever ridden Kyber it is a really techie descent. About 2/3 of the way down the trail you come to a cliff band that makes the body bag chute look like a cakewalk.

The chute off the cliff band has a 1/4" steel cable down it to grab onto as you drop down with your bike on your shoulder. To the right of the chute is 30' vertical roll in with about a four-foot wide transition point at the bottom. To the right of the transition point is a 60-degree slope into the forest below.

Well the kid decides to do the 30' roll in I couldn't believe it was possible. Richie Schley looked at it and said I not getting paid to ride that so I am not doing it.

Similar to Body Bag there is about a 15' steep ass roll to the edge of his 30' cliff like roll in. My concern was to get to the edge under control and not be going so fast that the rest of the drop would be sure death.

Like the video this kid just rolled down to the edge like it was no big deal. He did a track stand on the edge and just rolled off. He made it look so simple it was truly amazing. Even though he made it look easy no one else rode it.

What was also amazing was that his dad was on the ride. He had scaled down the chute with the cable and ridden ahead. He didn't even watch his son ride it. I asked him if he ever gets concerned with the stuff his son rides and he says that he trusts his son's judgment.

I will never forget that kid doing those drops it was truly .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not dismissing the kid's skills

but I'm guessing he doesn't have a wife and kids and a mortgage to look after when he gets back from his heroics. Lots of guys have the skills but just don't want to push their luck. You know, "live to fight another day." Oh, well, you're only 19 with those skills once. I was 19 once.

banned
    I didn't do the airport loop. I was showing my parents around Sedona that day but did see that the start (or end) of that loop, on the north side, was mighty steep. I've heard a lot of cactus stories...ha...
    There is a Red Bull Rampage drop off that section that ends at the bottom of the drainage. It's called Ken's trail. It is kind of stupid because of the climb out. Ken was a Buddist who was in Sedona to help build the temple near chimney rock.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Lots of guys have the skills but just don't want to push their luck.
    Yep, me, personally, I coulda ridden down Body Bag if I'd wanted to; I just didn't want to. Sheeit, I prolly coulda ridden it twice! I just felt like hiking right about then, that's all.

banned
    Yep, me, personally, I coulda ridden down Body Bag if I'd wanted to; I just didn't want to. Sheeit, I prolly coulda ridden it twice! I just felt like hiking right about then, that's all.
    Nat:

Well said. It has been my goal to ride that last part past the pinch point, but I just can't get the courage to do it. I think the original trail builder should make it so at least 5% of the riding public can ride it. Maybe they could put some BIG air bags next to the trees so we could all try it w/o a shouder seperation or breaking a collar bone.

meh... whatever
    thats nuttin.... i rode UP it!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    thats nuttin.... i rode UP it!
    I started riding up it once, but then I got bored halfway up and stopped to have a sandwich and a nap.

EDR
    but I'm guessing he doesn't have a wife and kids and a mortgage to look after when he gets back from his heroics. Lots of guys have the skills but just don't want to push their luck. You know, "live to fight another day." Oh, well, you're only 19 with those skills once. I was 19 once.
    Ya, riding the 'death spots' is not a skill issue for most. It's just prudent that those of us with families depending on us not take chances like 20 year olds with seemingly nothing to lose, lol. Getting older sucks in some ways but not in all ways.

TNC
    noMAD man

I like this angle pic

This is one of our riding buddies from a couple of years ago on Body Bag. The shot angle was pretty neat and his wheel off the ground added to the excitement. He actually made it down on this ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ya, riding the 'death spots' is not a skill issue for most. It's just prudent that those of us with families depending on us not take chances like 20 year olds with seemingly nothing to lose, lol. Getting older sucks in some ways but not in all ways.

I guess the "responsibility" gene skipped me (along with the balance gene). I'm old: 47; Married; have kids (four will be in college this year), and am the sole proprietor of a private practice......and am still trying stuff like that (I got an extra helping of the "stupid" gene as well ). The red "stop" warning light does go off in my head more than it used to though. Furthermore.... I never had skills (or cajones) like that kid even when I was 19.

And not to dis' his skills either, but I just thought I ought to point out that he had two elbow dabs against the left wall if you look closely. Of course in my book, elbow dabs are fair game (I'm old, I need all the handicaps/mulligans/cheats I can get).....but for super heros they should be verboten.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-28-2008 at 11:54 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Who's that guy?
    A couple of years ago I watched someone ride down this section. Other than a couple of dabs, SHE made it all the way down. She had a downhill style rig which probably helped.
    From what I understand, she is a local that works at one of the bike shops but I don't know which one.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

A ride about daydream

With all this talk about twitching while falling asleep and the portal. I had ridden the portal a couple of times as a younger man, and now as an old man all I have to do is think about the "death on the left rock" while I'm awake and my right leg involuntarily twitches in the unclip motion and my body weight shifts rapidly to the right.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, but sedona is "world class"...??
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, if you never try, you might "live another day", but did you ever challenge yourself? In any case it's all due to priorities, and some of us love riding our bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well, if you never try, you might "live another day", but did you ever challenge yourself? In any case it's all due to priorities, and some of us love riding our bikes.
    I'm the poster child for this. I "went for it" on a big double jump Friday afternoon and today I'm typing with a sling on one arm, expecting to be in the O.R. Tuesday for a clavicle fracture repair. I'm trying to figure out how to not miss too much work this month. Boooooo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wow
    Always be content with what you have. Never be content with who you are. ME

I'm pretty sure, for xcguy, it's about priorities as well. Being a responsible parent, and loving riding your bike aren't mutually exclusive. But taking chances that could burn up your savings over the course of a few months -- that's a different matter.

Aw Nat.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Aw Nat.
    Ehhhh, could've been worse.

Members who have read this thread: 0