ken burton, pasadena ca - 2nd time riding, this time hardtail!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ken burton, pasadena ca - 2nd time riding, this time hardtail!

this is my 2nd time on this trail, the 1st was a year ago on my old full suspension. i had my ass kicked, scaredy-cat'd my way down the steep/narrow singletrack and switchbacks, cursed my way through the rock garden/creekbed at the bottom.

i recently got a new jamis dragon 853 hardtail with a z2 bomber which i had overhauled the morning prior to this ride by marzocchi up at valencia, ca. in better shape now too with some road riding and wanted to tackle ken burton again.

the ride up the brown mtn fireroad is a work out, but nothing more than some spinning up in the granny gear, about 45minutes. go all the way to the end and you'll see the sign for ken burton. the top's been well maintained - i totally applaud the folks who've cleared the brush. it was way overgrown when i rode it the first time, probably why i was so scared about getting bounced off the trail. this time it was a blast, and the z2 rocks in helping with a few rocks/drops and its stiffness great for the switchbacks. i was able to clear most of them without dabbing and avoided skidding on almost all. nearer to the bottom though, maybe because i was getting tired or the trail go steeper i had to dab.

at the bottom the creekbed/rock garden is a pain. this was the only time i missed the full suspension but i think atmost it would've given me 2 or 3 more pedals before needing to dismount and push. the singeltrack climb up on the other side is a bear... you'e tired from pushing/walking and now a climb, but it's doable and kind of fun with some technical climbing over roots/rocks. after that's it's a few more rock gardens and creek crossings-hop-a-rock and then onto the big fireroad with ridable wide/shallow creek crossings. fun to splash through, just keep up the momentum -- your shoes will get soaked. water levels low right now, the hubs were never submerged. a blast!!

the bike was great, the 853 soaked up bumps will, a true rocket up climbs -- lighter weight was nice, i was flying off some of the mini-jumps on the way back down the lower arroyo seco.

john

(the bike seemed dirtier than the pic suggests, maybe it got washed off from the creek crossings)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ride:: ti hardtail

Medium?

Hmmm, that looks familiar

Members who have read this thread: 0