Keeping the bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Keeping the bike...

As a newb to MTB I was somewhat overwhelmed when I started doing research for a new bike. I finally ran into a good deal at my local store in February and bought a 2012 26"inch Cannondale Trail SL 4. I love the bike to death and I have learned a lot of information by reading the forums on this site. I was somewhat discouraged as I started seeing how 29er were becoming the craze in my area and how many folks were dumping hundreds of $$$ on there new bikes. I bought the basics such as Camelbak, Crankbrothers multitool, Cygolites,and bike cleaner and lube. I realized that the best part of my bike was that it was comfortable for me and I enjoy riding it. It really has helped become a more technical rider. So I learned not to get caught in the whole "fad" of upgrades and bike popularity and to simply ride my bike and upgrade as parts break.

Last edited by DLew; 06-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Heck yes! Just enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice bike. My 26" hardtail puts just as big a smile on my face as a new bike would.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I bought a new bike last year and test rode a 26er and 29er. I bought the 26er, not knocking the 29er, it just that I felt more comfortable on the 26er (probably because that is what I am used to)...
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Riding is not about the bike, unless the bike you bought is a poor fit. If you are comfortable when riding, you are good to go!!

Keep the Rubber Side Down!

mtbr member
    I too was feeling the "29er-pressure" when I chose my 2012 Trans Bandit...even though I knew it was what I wanted, people were creaming themselves over the 29" model - you'd think the 26" had square wheels or something! I was second-guessing myself the whole time until I actually went on my first rides with it. I know I made the right choice for me.

You picked a nice bike that - as long as you are enjoying yourself on, is the right one.

see me rollin, they hatin
    yeah, bumps will feel a big bigger on your 26er, but hey, some people actually LIKE a technical challenge
    fap

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    this.

Is not amused
    Good to see you still enjoy your new ride. I remember when you first posted how happy you where to purchase it. Keep riding. If it isn't broke don't fix it!

mtbr member
    I HAVE THE SAME BIKE! (well, mine is a year or two older). my brother keeps trying to convince me i really want a SS 29er and my buddy keeps trying to convince me i want a FS downhill bike. i have the damnedest time trying to convince them both that i love the bike i have!

ride on, brother. if it makes you happy, who gives a damn?

mtbr member
    Sure having a nice, expensive bike probably feels great but in the end it doesnt matter. The bike chooses the owner not the other way around.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

Over the Hill
    If one bike makes me happy? Will more bikes make me happier? Yes because I like riding loose steep downhills and love climbing on a rigid single speed and to this point I have not found a bike that does it as well as a bike designed for a certain job. Now if I live some places in the US maybe I could get by with one bike. Out West we have lots of different terrain.

Dean

Laguna Beach, CA

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    This!

I have a Surly Karate Monkey I bought probably 5 years ago when I had just graduated college. It was used then and It is even more used now. Other then the standard maintenance and replacing parts as they break or get worn out I have not swapped out a single thing in the name of "upgrading." The bike makes me smile every time I ride it.

Members who have read this thread: 0