that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]

    ok, this is a roadie post. sue me. my FS is out of commission and lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor waiting to go back to Dean for a new front triangle and my HT is out of commission as a result of racing for 2.5 hours in the rain & mud of Ducktown, TN last weekend (i've managed to replace the brake pads & brake cables but i still need to pull the bb and replace the shifter cables). so, what's a girl to do??!

    maybe, i should have just stayed home, mopped the floor & watched the Giro. but i didn't.

    i had taken the prior week completely off the bike. i desperately needed the rest. my bikes sat unused & unloved in the corner of the kitchen while i remembered what it was like before my entire live became an exercise in training. beer is good. i like beer. sitting on the couch is good too. i like that too.

    by saturday i was ready to ride again and i went out and did 3 hrs/50 miles easy. i felt great!

    sunday i woke up to discover that i'd crippled myself. seriously!! i got up to use the restroom in the morning, went to sit down and nearly screamed from the pain in my quads. i had to reach back and lower myself onto the toilet! where is that handicapped bar when you need it??? walking was painful and going down stairs was an exercise in torture.

    i knew i had to ride. only spinning would work out the gallons of lactic acid stored in my quads. our ride didn't get off to an auspicious start. we didn't manage to roll out until nearly 5:30pm and the sun that had been beating down all day long was fast disappearing behind a veil of dark clouds.

    we picked a 35 mile loop that promised to be flat and agreed to keep the pace easy. the clouds spit at us as we started to roll but we were not to be detered! we spun along and the ride was going well. about 1/2 way through the ride we picked up another rider, "Junior". it was nice to cruise along at about 18 mph in a paceline of 3 and my legs felt far better on the bike than they did off of it.

    we turned onto the back side of the loop, a 2 lane road which takes us through rural-ish farm land. off to our right the clouds were gathering and getting darker and darker. hmmmm. maybe we'll beat the rain. yeah right.

    Junior was pulling and suddenly yells back "OH! GROSS!!" up ahead is road kill. now, i've seen a lot of road kill in the 5 years i've been riding road. besides, i live in the south and i'm pretty sure the state animal for NC is flattened possum. here in Atl it seems to be inside-out squirrel. but this was road kill like i'd never seen. the animal was not even identifiable and it's parts were spread hither & yon. if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book!

    we replied with a chorous of "EEEEEWWWW! NASTY!" and "UGH! DISGUSTING!", swung wide to avoid the worst of it, and rolled past.

    the ride continued with Junior still pulling, me in the middle, and EddieO bringing up the rear. maybe 2 miles later i look to my left an see 2 large dogs (a shepard and a black dog of indeterminate breed) sunning themselves at the end of a long driveway. I thought 'dogs. sleeping. how nice'. Then the shepard noticed us, flew to his feet, and lunged out into the road barking and running straight at us. I downshifted to start sprinting, and got out 'DOGS!!!' as a pickup crested the hill on the same side of the road and on a direct trajectory with the dog. I saw that split second where the dog saw the truck, hesitated, thought 'F**K!' and then *CRACK!!* (not 'wham', not 'whump', but 'crack' is the sound a pick up going about 55 mph makes when it hit a 70+ lb german shepard on a back road in GA). Junior missed the show but heard the noise, i saw the start of it, and EddieO saw the completion and aftermath. collectively we yelled "OHMYGOD!!" over and over.

    we slowed and discussed our options. my initial reaction was to go back. but what would we have done? who's to say if the black dog (which was no smaller than the shepard) was friendly? could we hike up the long drive to the house and say "hi, we just saw your dog get hit by a pick up?" more than likely three random sweaty stranger wearing lycra would get shot at in this part of the world. i don't know if the pick up stopped. i didn't hear any squeeling of brakes but maybe the driver stopped down the road a bit. all i can say is at least it was quick and painless for the dog.

    shaken we continued on. as we turned onto the last stretch of road (about 15 miles left) the dark cloud that had been looming over our right shoulders in the distance was suddenly directly ahead of us with an impressive light show starting and distant rumblings of thunder. we got closer and the light show went from sudden bright glows to jagged streaks. the rumblings took on distinctive loud thunder claps. the wind picked up, the temps dropped and the rain started. we were out in the open with not so much as an abandoned shack to take shelter in. our pace picked up from a leisurely 18 mph to closer to 23 mph. the lightening got closer and the thunder got louder. all i could think was, 'we're going to die!!' and 'i'm glad i'm shorter than everyone else!!' we must have rolled through close to the center of the storm because at one point the lightening was so close we could HEAR it. *SSSSSSSSSCRACK!!* and then BOOM!!

    i don't know about anyone else but i screamed and if i hadn't already been soaked to the bone i'd have probably needed to change my chamois!

    we hightailed it as fast as our tired legs would carry us but the rain, thunder & wind followed us all the way back to EddieO's garage.

    so, now i have 3 bikes out of commission, one dead dog on my conscience, and a pair of grey cycling sock that used to be white to remind me of what happens when you ride past road kill, see a dog get hit by a car, and finish your ride by time trialing through a violent thunderstorm.

    maybe couch training isn't such a bad idea.

    rt

    oh, and some cool pics from the Tour de Georgia time trial (fortunately for them the weather was better, they'd swept the course of road kill, and dogs were on leashes)...


    Jens Voigt


    Georgie Hincappie


    Cipo! (hating life. this was about mid-way up the 2-ish mile climb up Radio Hill Rd.)


    Lance

    and finally, the leader (at that time)

    Ivan Dominguez - showing every muscle you use in cycling!

    ps - i didn't wave to anyone while i was on my ride either.
    Last edited by *rt*; 05-11-2004 at 08:53 AM.
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  2. #2
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Cipo!

  3. #3
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Cipo!
    i thought only women reacted that way to Cipo.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  4. #4
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,818
    Jens Voigt sure looks alot like Bobby Julich.

  5. #5
    No relation
    Reputation: Ichabod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    ok, this is a roadie post. sue me.
    ps - i didn't wave to anyone while i was on my ride either.
    Wow. I think you saw two (2) harbingers of doom and yet survived. Good job.

    (By the way, that's Bobby Julich, not his team mate. Not that I'm a roadie or know about roadies or anything...)

    You will be hearing from my attorney. The information contained in this post (including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its authorized recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally
    privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended
    recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are
    hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, copying, printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information contained in it. In that event, please contact us immediately by telephone
    (888)888-8888 or by electronic mail at [email protected] and delete the original and all copies of this transmission (including any
    attachments) without reading or saving in any manner.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

  6. #6
    You Are What You Is
    Reputation: P-Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    920

    Very entertaining read

    Poor dog. Better him than you I guess.

  7. #7
    bob
    bob is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    489

    hey *rt*

    Hey *rt* ! I was riding Alafia yesterday and as I was walking down one of those suicidal hills on Moonscape I thought about the "A" ride from the FTF. As I recall you were on the "A" ride. Did you guys ride Moonscape? I didn't see any dual crown forks on your bike.

    Bob

  8. #8
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    hmmm....

    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Jens Voigt sure looks alot like Bobby Julich.
    i thought that was Voigt.....

    you know, us despicable sandbaggers are too self-centered to know the names of other riders.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  9. #9
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    Doh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    Wow. I think you saw two (2) harbingers of doom and yet survived. Good job.

    (By the way, that's Bobby Julich, not his team mate. Not that I'm a roadie or know about roadies or anything...)
    dyslexia. Julich. Jens. very confusing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    You will be hearing from my attorney. The information contained in this post (including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its authorized recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally
    privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended
    recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are
    hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, copying, printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information contained in it. In that event, please contact us immediately by telephone
    (888)888-8888 or by electronic mail at [email protected] and delete the original and all copies of this transmission (including any
    attachments) without reading or saving in any manner.
    cool! is your atty cute?

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  10. #10
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Poor dog. Better him than you I guess.
    true that.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  11. #11
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,818

    wait a second

    who's "lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor"???

    inside-out squirrel... funny. sick, but funny.

    if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book! whoa, gross. I'm sure the smell was worse than the sight.

  12. #12
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    he Bob!

    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Hey *rt* ! I was riding Alafia yesterday and as I was walking down one of those suicidal hills on Moonscape I thought about the "A" ride from the FTF. As I recall you were on the "A" ride. Did you guys ride Moonscape? I didn't see any dual crown forks on your bike.

    Bob
    yep. we did moonscape. i think that was the trail i picked the wrong line on one of the drops and endoed! doh!

    cheers.
    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  13. #13
    No relation
    Reputation: Ichabod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    dyslexia. Julich. Jens. very confusing.

    cool! is your atty cute?
    rt
    Yeah, she's a babe. On the downside, she's married. On the upside, she's married to me.

    I think the confusion between Jens and Bobby comes because nobody is used to seeing Bobby go fast and do well for a while.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

  14. #14
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    Lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    Yeah, she's a babe. On the downside, she's married. On the upside, she's married to me.
    ahh, well, you're a lucky man then. and, since i prefer to date members of the opposite sex i will not have to fight you for her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    I think the confusion between Jens and Bobby comes because nobody is used to seeing Bobby go fast and do well for a while.
    hmmm, that could be it! either that or all those CSC guys look the same.

    funny story: lots of people came out and painted (mostly chalked) names on the pavement. my favorite was the following:

    CSC!!!
    GO TYLER!!
    GO TYLER!!
    CSC!!

    seeing as Tyler was off in Europe somewhere i'd bet the person who painted that on the street was sorely disappointed!

    or, maybe that's a picture of tyler. hmmmm....

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  15. #15
    bob
    bob is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    489

    hey *rt*

    My hat is off to you. To think, I just thought you were just some lycra clad xc racer type. That was my first ride on Moonscape and it's not for the faint at heart. I walked more of that trail than I care to admit. Roller coaster is fun but Moonscape is a step up. The other trails were rootier than last fall. There were climbs I made last fall but couldn't make yesterday.

    Nice GA pics btw.

  16. #16
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    [QUOTE=roadiegonebad]who's "lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor"???[/quote/

    Dean. but that's ok, he's cool with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book! whoa, gross. I'm sure the smell was worse than the sight.
    nah. it hadn't gotten to the stinky stage yet.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,868

    Beer training sounds great!

    Great write up there *rt*, too bad about the dog. I think you guys made the right call, if you ignore the heading out at the beginning of a storm , spitting and all! NM has a similar feel out in the country regarding animals... the pups that get mowed down due to bad owners always pull at my heart. On the way back from el paso a few weeks ago we saw 2 collies in the left lane of I-25, one had been hurt & immobilized, the other valiantly standing watch. Scary. We called in the mile marker & pertinent info. as there happened to be a state trooper just up the road in the opposite direction. Hopefully it was OK and at least maybe the other dog survived, if his/her buddy didn't. The worst was seeing a dog get clipped, not killed, tumble down the highway (this was up near Taos), then jump up and run away. It was likely adrenaline powering him off the road as I can't imagine not being seriously injured. We had to decide what to do; continue on or face the single-wide living / double barrel toting owner (just a guess ) who had probably consumed a 30-pack by 4 in the afternoon! Ah yes, rural NM (america for that matter!).

    As for the wooden legs, I think I can partially relate too. This a.m. on the group road (!) ride, I could not get close to my LT/AT. Weird. Burnt. Need recovery time! Raced on Sat., rode moderately hard on sunday, then tried to spin on monday (big mistake as monday is always an off day, it was the sat. race instead of sunday that thru me off...), but wound up going too hard; soooo I was dead toasted today. Gonna have to take a day or two off entirely, me thinks! Beer on the couch sounds so right.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  18. #18
    No relation
    Reputation: Ichabod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    CSC!!!
    GO TYLER!!
    GO TYLER!!
    CSC!!

    seeing as Tyler was off in Europe somewhere i'd bet the person who painted that on the street was sorely disappointed!

    or, maybe that's a picture of tyler. hmmmm....
    rt
    Hilarious! Maybe it was Bjarne Riis.
    Tyler was indeed in Europe, racing for Phonak.
    COFIDIS!!!
    GO LANCE!!
    COFIDIS!!!

    SAECO!!!
    GO MARIO!!
    SAECO!!!
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

  19. #19
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,720

    f'in roadies

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    ok, this is a roadie post. sue me.
    Expect a subpoena with a cease and desist order on your door when you get home.

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    my FS is out of commission and lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor waiting to go back to Dean for a new front triangle
    Damn, must be all that training you've been doing (BTW, congrats! on the top 10). Going all out hardcore and busted the unbreakable titanium frame. Maybe you should have gone with the heavyweight frame that was rated for someone at 120lbs instead of the 95 lbs soaking wet model. :P

  20. #20
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    Lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    Hilarious! Maybe it was Bjarne Riis.
    Tyler was indeed in Europe, racing for Phonak.
    COFIDIS!!!
    GO LANCE!!
    COFIDIS!!!

    SAECO!!!
    GO MARIO!!
    SAECO!!!
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  21. #21
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    On the way back from el paso a few weeks ago we saw 2 collies in the left lane of I-25, one had been hurt & immobilized, the other valiantly standing watch. Scary. We called in the mile marker & pertinent info. as there happened to be a state trooper just up the road in the opposite direction. Hopefully it was OK and at least maybe the other dog survived, if his/her buddy didn't. The worst was seeing a dog get clipped, not killed, tumble down the highway (this was up near Taos), then jump up and run away. It was likely adrenaline powering him off the road as I can't imagine not being seriously injured.
    if only people needed a license to have pets. on the other hand there are those who take it to a very stupid extreme. my parents have 6 acres of land and a border collie, Yo, who has the run of it. Yo does not leave the property because it is surrounded by an invisible fence and even if he did my parents live on a private drive with 2 other houses so traffic is not exactly a problem. Yo is an outdoor dog and does not go inside the house. in really bad weather he hangs out on the covered porch or sometimes my parents will leave the garage door open for him. my parents wanted to get Yo a doggie friend and my mom spoke to a woman who had a foster dog (also a border collie) that was up for adoption. when the woman found out that Yo is not allowed in the house she absolutely refused to allow my parents to adopt the dog. riduculous!! if you have any idea how much energy border collies have the best place for them is outside!!

    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    We had to decide what to do; continue on or face the single-wide living / double barrel toting owner (just a guess ) who had probably consumed a 30-pack by 4 in the afternoon! Ah yes, rural NM (america for that matter!).
    yep. i'm pretty sure that's the same guy that owned the shepard.

    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    ... soooo I was dead toasted today. Gonna have to take a day or two off entirely, me thinks! Beer on the couch sounds so right.
    i know the feeling. a week off the bike, now that i've flushed some of that lactic acid out of my legs finally, has done me a world of good. beer on the couch is the best way to spend a day off.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  22. #22
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Expect a subpoena with a cease and desist order on your door when you get home.
    oh goodie. something to look forward to!


    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Damn, must be all that training you've been doing (BTW, congrats! on the top 10). Going all out hardcore and busted the unbreakable titanium frame. Maybe you should have gone with the heavyweight frame that was rated for someone at 120lbs instead of the 95 lbs soaking wet model. :P
    thanks (on the top 10....but i think it's more reflective of small fields than actual results).
    lol! didn't trash the frame, it's just going back for some geometry adjustments. i'll ask them to beef it up this time though since i've put on an impressive 6 lbs of muscle. i'm just HUGE!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  23. #23
    avg. joe
    Reputation: STinGa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    657

    Been there, heard that

    Something about living in the south and big dogs running off of the porch. A while back, I had the same thing happen. My roommate and I came to the same conclussion that you did and kept riding. Felt a bit sorry, but hey, I keep my dog secure and safe.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

  24. #24
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa
    Something about living in the south and big dogs running off of the porch. A while back, I had the same thing happen. My roommate and I came to the same conclussion that you did and kept riding. Felt a bit sorry, but hey, I keep my dog secure and safe.
    it's reassurring that others have had the same experience. i posted this over on RBR as well and was surprised at how many other people have dead dogs on their conscience. i guess it's the price we pay and the price dog owners who don't keep their dogs safe pay.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  25. #25
    meh....
    Reputation: Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,589
    Nah, that's not Julich.

  26. #26

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    84

    Poor doggie

    Rednecks!

  27. #27
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    I remember one day a dog tried to chase our 4-runner by running infront of it from the cover of some bushes at the last second. Didn't mess up the 4-runner at all, but it did take out the dog. No problems with concience, the dog owners are at fault.

Similar Threads

  1. Western Aus ride report - with pics
    By Sandgroper in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
  2. Have you ever flipped off a Hummer? (Shell Ridge ride report).
    By Finch Platte in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:43 PM
  3. AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread
    By AZ Mikey in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
  4. Another boring first ride report....
    By Jaybo in forum Turner
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
  5. Saturday ride report....North Shore Style.
    By ebxtreme in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.